HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Davidson interviews with CBJ

Old
06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I'd have a hard time believing that the CBJ brought Davidson for a talk only to find that their current situation with the powerhouse hockey mind president that is Mike Priest is a much better situation.

This took a week to get out that he was actually interviewed, that doesn't scream PR move or simply "due diligence".

If the CBJ weren't ready to up the ante to its fanbase, they shouldn't have even bothered to interview him. This only adds more pressure to find, if not Davidson, someone else very qualified to have in a new management role.
Agree 100% Well stated

lets hope the momentum continues and this is really the turning point

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Let's say you're the Sharks; you have as your top-6 centers Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski. You hear that Crosby might be available. Do you investigate, or do you just dismiss it as not worth your time? And if you investigate, does that indicate a serious need for a #1 center?

Our relative personal opinions and/or assessments of the state of the Jackets front office aside, this "demonstrates" nothing more than prudence in the face of a unique opportunity.
Apples and oranges.

I don't discount the possibility this was merely a unique opportunity, but I also don't discount the possibility the team is looking for a way to reassign Mike Priest.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Agreed. I think if Howson stays Nash goes.
It will be better for us if Rick goes.
Btw I dont think it was a chance for Davidson, he would be either GM or president. And I doubt that he would agree with Craig Patrick as senior advisor. So only wish.... .

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
It will be better for us if Rick goes.
Btw I dont think it was a chance for Davidson, he would be either GM or president. And I doubt that he would agree with Craig Patrick as senior advisor.
Davidson is known for assembling mgt teams. I doubt having Patrick around as an advisor would be a problem.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Davidson is known for assembling mgt teams. I doubt having Patrick around as an advisor would be a problem.
Could go either way. Not sure it matters. If you bring in Davidson, Patrick is probably redundant unless Davidson wants to keep him around for some sort of organizational continuity in the short term.

I've never been certain as to how committed Patrick is to being a part of the team in the long run. I think he's enjoying the gig, but I doubt he'd be broken hearted if he were asked to leave.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Here's the question--why should we stop the process with Davidson? There are other qualified candidates to be President of Hockey Ops. Interview them.

The fact that Davidson was interviewed was an admission of a perceived organizational need. Failing to address it just because Davidson says no would seem foolish.
Well sure,
I was simply pointing out that this admission of a perceived organizational need , as you politely put it, is about ten years too late.

Anybody know if Patrick recommended the OWNERS be replaced?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Stretch Factor

Could also be a case of the squeaky wheel getting some grease.

I'm convinced the Dispatch Corp. is flexing some muscle as a minority owner. They've been hitting on the "not enough experience" theme for well over a year. They wrote a story about what "smart teams" would do regarding Davidson, and wouldn't you know it he gets an interview.

The question is will the majority ownership actually listen and hire JD or are they just going through the motions?

I would love to know how AP found out about the interview. Since the ownership is not talking and JD is not talking...

You'd think if the ownership was doing this just to please the Dispatch, they'd be willing to grant an interview.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Well sure,
I was simply pointing out that this admission of a perceived organizational need , as you politely put it, is about ten years too late.

Anybody know if Patrick recommended the OWNERS be replaced?
I wonder if, at some point, you and others will realize that, without a time machine, the only problems they can address are today's problems. This "too late" nonsense just basically affirms that there is literally nothing they can do that would satisfy you.

If I'm allowed to be positive for a moment, I'm encouraged by the steps the organization has taken since last off season, from spending money, to organizational hires. I feel like they have an understanding of what this team lacks for likely the first time, on and off the ice, and they are doing something about it. Better late than never.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I wonder if, at some point, you and others will realize that, without a time machine, the only problems they can address are today's problems. This "too late" nonsense just basically affirms that there is literally nothing they can do that would satisfy you.

If I'm allowed to be positive for a moment, I'm encouraged by the steps the organization has taken since last off season, from spending money, to organizational hires. I feel like they have an understanding of what this team lacks for likely the first time, on and off the ice, and they are doing something about it. Better late than never.
What exactly are they doing about it again?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
What exactly are they doing about it again?
You do realize that 1) change takes time 2) every journey begins with one step and 3) we will likely never know the full extent of upheaval within the org at the executive level and below.

If you look at it broadly, it should be obvious that many things are changing within the CBJ. It's a process and if you expect overnight switching from black to white, you probably have no understanding of corporations or large organizations.

Whether these are the correct changes or not is a topic for another thread, yet failure to acknowledge that anything is happening at all is just intentionally obtuse.

I'm encouraged by what I see and the fact that they're even trying to bring in a guy like Davidson shows me that ownership understands where their weaknesses lie. As I've said before, this acknowledgment is not an insignificant step.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
You do realize that 1) change takes time
It's been 12 years, how long is this process? 30-40 years before they figure it out?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
It's been 12 years, how long is this process? 30-40 years before they figure it out?
I'd like to think that you realize this process didn't start 12 years ago.

Clearly mistakes were made over the history of this franchise. Clearly, you cannot go back 12 years to change the past, so you can only change what's wrong now, from this point forward. if you keep whining and kvetching over '12 years of suck' you're not going to get anywhere.

Why is this concept so difficult to grasp? Have you never attempted to solve complex problems before?

I wonder sometimes if some of you simply will never be happy, since any attempt to fix things is 'too late'. If you aren't happy with the problems and aren't happy with the attempts to solve the problems, I don't think you're ever going to be happy with anything this franchise does. If you can't be at least a little encouraged that they're trying to bring respected hockey minds like Davidson or Patrick into this org to shape the future, I have no idea why you bother following this team.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:

Clearly mistakes were made over the history of this franchise. Clearly, you cannot go back 12 years to change the past, so you can only change what's wrong now, from this point forward. if you keep whining and kvetching over '12 years of suck' you're not going to get anywhere.

Why is this concept so difficult to grasp? Have you never attempted to solve complex problems before?

I wonder sometimes if some of you simply will never be happy, since any attempt to fix things is 'too late'. If you aren't happy with the problems and aren't happy with the attempts to solve the problems, I don't think you're ever going to be happy with anything this franchise does. If you can't be at least a little encouraged that they're trying to bring respected hockey minds like Davidson or Patrick into this org to shape the future, I have no idea why you bother following this team.
Your crusade is admirable, for the most part the Jackets have not been a good team for 12 years therefore doubt about the organization and lack of winning is human nature.. Trust me, if the Jackets make the playoffs and win at least the first round you will have an Army behind you... Until then, you’re continued complaining about posters not being at your level of unabated positives is silly.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Doug19

Quote:

I still don't get what you think they are doing to improve? They interviewed one guy. up until last week they didn't give any indication that they would be looking to remove Priest from is current title, nor did they consider a new gm, nor did they even bother to interview head coaching candidates. Surely that can't sound like a bunch of smart moves for an organization that you are trying to say is improving. Maybe they are, but they certainly haven't made any significant strides in that pursuit. I'm not anti Howson, I think that he has some strengths, but his actions over the last year should have at least garnered a little bit of skepticism from the organization, which doesn't seem to be the case. But sure, I guess that sounds like improving....

Old
06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
EspenK

They took the interim title off of Richards-without interviewing other candidates. Promoted an assistant to head coach at Springfield. Re-signed Dorsett & MacKenzie. Got a new scoreboard.Interviewed Davidson. I smell Cup contention.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Ok, when will this mother****er make up his damn mind?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
They took the interim title off of Richards-without interviewing other candidates. Promoted an assistant to head coach at Springfield. Re-signed Dorsett & MacKenzie. Got a new scoreboard.Interviewed Davidson. I smell Cup contention.
Lets not forget that they didn't even bother to have a defensive coach in Springfield when our supposed next generation of defenders are AHL guys right now. Surely that's the type of thing that an improving organization does.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I still don't get what you think they are doing to improve? They interviewed one guy. up until last week they didn't give any indication that they would be looking to remove Priest from is current title, nor did they consider a new gm, nor did they even bother to interview head coaching candidates. Surely that can't sound like a bunch of smart moves for an organization that you are trying to say is improving. Maybe they are, but they certainly haven't made any significant strides in that pursuit. I'm not anti Howson, I think that he has some strengths, but his actions over the last year should have at least garnered a little bit of skepticism from the organization, which doesn't seem to be the case. But sure, I guess that sounds like improving....
I'd have to say that the local beat reporter being over a week late to the party on Davidson interviewing would seem to indicate that no one has any idea what's really going on at Nationwide. And I sure as hell am not going to go sharpening sickles or filing pitchforks based on a lack of information flowing forth.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Ok, when will this mother****er make up his damn mind?
I keep checking AP twitter every 6 hours or so... (I do have other things going on)..

I think it's 50/50... As for the 30 day thing forget that, it's a ruse. If the Blues can't afford Davidson he will move...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd have to say that the local beat reporter being over a week late to the party on Davidson interviewing would seem to indicate that no one has any idea what's really going on at Nationwide. And I sure as hell am not going to go sharpening sickles or filing pitchforks based on a lack of information flowing forth.
lets hope he was hired already and Porty is late again.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:04 PM
EspenK

Quote:
lets hope he was hired already and Porty is late again.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Lol, and next month when Howson fails to sign a goalie he'll do an interview and say "We had faith in Mason all along, the fans must exercise some patience."

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Lets not forget that they didn't even bother to have a defensive coach in Springfield when our supposed next generation of defenders are AHL guys right now. Surely that's the type of thing that an improving organization does.
Have they hired an assistant for the D-men in Springfield? Somewhere I think I remember reading that but I'm not sure. If they have that would be a step in the right direction.

Edit:

Looked it up-yes they have. I am happy about that.

Last edited by EspenK: 06-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Your crusade is admirable, for the most part the Jackets have not been a good team for 12 years therefore doubt about the organization and lack of winning is human nature.. Trust me, if the Jackets make the playoffs and win at least the first round you will have an Army behind you... Until then, you’re continued complaining about posters not being at your level of unabated positives is silly.
It has nothing to do with someone being positive or negative, but simply using common sense and logic in either. IMO, there are people here who won't be happy with anything but being unhappy.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Like I said, intentionally obtuse.

And where did I say they are improving, exactly? Trying to improve/change doesn't mean they are. That won't be known for months.

What I am pointing out is that if you watch what's happening, listen to what's being said, you cannot possibly say they're doing nothing. This doesn't even factor in what's happening within the org outside of public view. Even given what we have access to, I don't see an org with it's head in the sand. I see the owner publicly acknowledging their weaknesses, even specifically addressing Howson's weaknesses, just as Howson acknowledged Arniel's weaknesses by bringing in 'someone with head coaching experience' in Richards. You think that doesn't mean a new GM is being considered?

It seems to be, even with what little we know as fact, that things are happening at Nationwide. We'll see if they're the right things, of course, but the whole 'doing nothing' statement simply because there haven't been a dozen news releases seems incredibly naive to me. If nothing else, it would be nice if people would at least make it to the draft before pissing on about 'the CBJ aren't doing anything to improve'