HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should Ennis's next contract look like?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
  #1
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,435
vCash: 500
What should Ennis's next contract look like?

Amidst all the FA/trade target talk is a topic I don't think we've discussed all that much, which is what we can expect Ennis's next contract to look like.

Sign him long term--buying UFA years. Advantages: if Ennis has a breakthrough year, his value would skyrocket and the contract becomes a bargain. Also keeps him with the Sabres for the foreseeable future. Disadvantages: higher cap hit from the bought UFA years.

Sign him to a typical 2nd contract--short term (2-3 year) deal that will leave him a RFA at the end. Advantages: lower cap hit, allows Ennis to prove himself at center, keeps him RFA when deal is up. Disadvantages: if he does break out, next contract would be more pricey, and he will have arbitration rights that time around.

He does not have arbitration rights this year.

So what kind of deal do you give him, and for how much per? Assume Pegula front-loading is possible.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
  #2
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,346
vCash: 500
Great question. Hoping its around 3,4 years with a cap hit around 2.5-3 million.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:36 PM
  #3
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 500
What would I like to give him? I'm not sure, maybe something similar to what Myers got (years wise, not money). 7 years for $30 mil? $4.285 cap hit.

I would simply be happy with 3yr/9mil. $3mil cap hit.

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
  #4
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Great question. Hoping its around 3,4 years with a cap hit around 2.5-3 million.
Someone would have to double check, but I think 4 is the doomsday scenario: don't buy a UFA year, but the deal ends with him as UFA, not RFA. In that scenario, you want 3 so you still have some leverage over the next deal.

(though this is all subject to change with the new CBA).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
  #5
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Someone would have to double check, but I think 4 is the doomsday scenario: don't buy a UFA year, but the deal ends with him as UFA, not RFA. In that scenario, you want 3 so you still have some leverage over the next deal.

(though this is all subject to change with the new CBA).
Ah Makes sense, thanks for that information. Then revised 3 years 8-9 million would be perfect. (Under current CBA)

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
  #6
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,780
vCash: 450
2yrs, $5.5m ($2.75m)

or

3yrs, $9m ($3.0m)

I can guarantee it won't be a four-year deal, though. Regier does not do contracts that allow a player an out after the minimum seven years of service before a player can go to free agency.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
  #7
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Would love a long term deal but expecting 2 years 5 million(2.5 per) something like 5 years 20 million would be pretty nice though

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
  #8
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
2yrs, $5.5m ($2.75m)

or

3yrs, $9m ($3.0m)

I can guarantee it won't be a four-year deal, though. Regier does not do contracts that allow a player an out after the minimum seven years of service before a player can go to free agency.
I'm expecting something along these lines.

Ennis' agent (who represents him?) would be silly to have him sign anything long-term at this point. If he broke through this past season, sure, but injuries hampered an otherwise productive season. He'll cash in after a shorter-term contract (2/3 yrs).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
  #9
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
2yrs, $5.5m ($2.75m)

or

3yrs, $9m ($3.0m)

I can guarantee it won't be a four-year deal, though. Regier does not do contracts that allow a player an out after the minimum seven years of service before a player can go to free agency.
agreed. but there is another option.... the 6 yr / Roy type deal...

Roy before 6 year deal :
194 gms / 128 pts / .65 pt per game
Ennis current :
140 gms / 92 pts / .65 pt per game

not saying its the right move... but i think it's an option. they've reaped the benefits before.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
  #10
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
agreed. but there is another option.... the 6 yr / Roy type deal...

Roy before 6 year deal :
194 gms / 128 pts / .65 pt per game
Ennis current :
140 gms / 92 pts / .65 pt per game

not saying its the right move... but i think it's an option. they've reaped the benefits before.
I could see them doing this. A three year deal means Ennis gets 6 million in his next contract(aside from flopping) Signing him long term where he makes 4m now instead of 2.5 but it would be a 6-7 year contract so in 4 years it is a cap friendly hit.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
  #11
The Real
Registered User
 
The Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I could see them doing this. A three year deal means Ennis gets 6 million in his next contract(aside from flopping) Signing him long term where he makes 4m now instead of 2.5 but it would be a 6-7 year contract so in 4 years it is a cap friendly hit.
Whoa... We are talking some pretty big numbers for a guy who really hasn't proved much at all in the league. He's had moments of brilliance and also disappeared for stretches.

3 years at around 1.7, 2.0, 2.5. Maybe 2.0, 2.50, 3.0 at most. I see the talent but I need consistency for a stretch before I commit long term.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
  #12
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 500
similar to Littles 2nd contract..3 years, $2.38 (1.65, 2.5, 3.0)

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
  #13
The Real
Registered User
 
The Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
similar to Littles 2nd contract..3 years, $2.38 (1.65, 2.5, 3.0)

Sold

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:40 AM
  #14
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Hey look...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1107573

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
  #15
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Is Zubrus' contract up with the Devils after this year? He's another I feel would fit into that 3C role.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
  #16
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Is Zubrus' contract up with the Devils after this year? He's another I feel would fit into that 3C role.
Zubrus or Stoll would be nice. Doan as a winger wouldn't be bad to get too. a 3rd line of Gerbe-Stoll-Doan would be sweet even Zub in there would be sweet. Not saying it would happen nor do I think we have the cap but that's a badass line.

SabresBillsBuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
  #17
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
I think Ennis gets around 3.25-3.35 Million

SabresBillsBuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:54 PM
  #18
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Zubrus or Stoll would be nice. Doan as a winger wouldn't be bad to get too. a 3rd line of Gerbe-Stoll-Doan would be sweet even Zub in there would be sweet. Not saying it would happen nor do I think we have the cap but that's a badass line.
I don't see anyway Doan isn't re-signed. He would be perfect in every way, though.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:59 PM
  #19
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
I hope he's signed long term. He's the next Briere.

7 Yrs./28 Mil

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
  #20
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,426
vCash: 500
2-3 years for reasons mentioned already. I need a bigger sample size at center, personally, before dishing out a six year deal.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:36 PM
  #21
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
3.5 per year. 3 years. MAXIMUM.

I like Ennis but I would not throw around money on him. He hasn't grown 2 inches or gained 20 lbs of muscle yet, has he? Well then I guess that means he's gonna be on the DL a lot if he puts up points at a rate that approaches his ability. Sabres are soft team with mgmt that doesn't seem to mind watching their stars get bullied and injured. So, Ennis is easy pickings, and his salary should reflect that.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:05 AM
  #22
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'm expecting something along these lines.

Ennis' agent (who represents him?) would be silly to have him sign anything long-term at this point. If he broke through this past season, sure, but injuries hampered an otherwise productive season. He'll cash in after a shorter-term contract (2/3 yrs).
Finally found that bit of information: Eustace King, O2K Management.

You can follow him on Twitter here.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:02 AM
  #23
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Finally found that bit of information: Eustace King, O2K Management.

You can follow him on Twitter here.
Been wondering this for a while now. Thanks.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:04 AM
  #24
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
3.5 per year. 3 years. MAXIMUM.

I like Ennis but I would not throw around money on him. He hasn't grown 2 inches or gained 20 lbs of muscle yet, has he? Well then I guess that means he's gonna be on the DL a lot if he puts up points at a rate that approaches his ability. Sabres are soft team with mgmt that doesn't seem to mind watching their stars get bullied and injured. So, Ennis is easy pickings, and his salary should reflect that.
This is horrendous. We are MLB now, with a disabled list? I'm trying to follow your logic here, but there really is none. Your conclusion is so...out there.

His salary should reflect his size. That's what you cry. Yet you'd give him 10.5M$ over three? Doesn't seem to match up.

You're better than this.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
  #25
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
This is horrendous. We are MLB now, with a disabled list? I'm trying to follow your logic here, but there really is none. Your conclusion is so...out there.

His salary should reflect his size. That's what you cry. Yet you'd give him 10.5M$ over three? Doesn't seem to match up.

You're better than this.
lol Yeah, the taint of hypocrisy is lingering there...

2.5/year max. There. Now I'm a fricken GENIUS again...RIGHT???!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.