HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Re-Sign David Jones

Old
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
AvalancheFan19

vCash: 500
Great news for a few reasons.

1. 4 Mill a year hopefully means he sticks with Stas and isn't going to be riding third/fourth line minutes.
2. Jones is a capable 30 goal scorer, and I really liked the Ginner-Stas-Jones line a lot.
3. We're willing to sign people somewhat long term, I really like this. Huge grin on my face

AvalancheFan19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
zech
@zech_de

I am really surprised that we signed him for four years, I expected a two-year deal max. $4M is probably a tad too much, but if he can get his act together and score close to 30 goals next year it's a great deal. I absolutely love that Jonesy committed to our club for four years.

zech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Hey...according to Twitter Timeline, Dater posted this before anyone else!

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

$4M is a bit much but it's not bad. I was expecting around $3.5M. Why is everyone so surprised about the term? Jones was going to the open market where he would have gotten a long term deal for sure. If the Avs wanted to keep him, they had to give him a decent term.

As for the main board, they trash on the Avs any chance they get so I wouldn't be too concerned about what they're saying.

Hopefully McClement gets done soon.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Great news. Silent Jay is next hopefully.

PS

Everyone on the main boards is already saying we overpaid.
I can't say they're too far wrong from all we've seen so far. It will be up to Jones to become a perennial 25-30 goal player to show he's worth it.
Yep. IMO, it is too much, and too long. The guy under performed for 3/4 of last year, has been injury prone in the past, and disappears far too often for my liking to be given $4m per year.

Not sure I'm liking where this thing is going.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
My post from the official Jones thread...don't go there, it's a **** show.

Quote:
If Jones got this deal after last season when he scored 27 goals and looked to be well on his way to 30+ goals, nobody would have said a thing.

He had a tough year this year but it's funny that not many Avs fans have anything bad to say about the player or the deal. We're the ones who watch him play more than anyone else.

4 million dollars might be 500k too much, but we had the cap room and couldn't risk losing a guy thats a big key to our team success.

As DLEED pointed out on Twitter, with the cap the way it is, the average player on a roster would make 3 million dollars. Jones is above the average player when it comes to skill and what he brings to the table.

It's not that bad of a contract.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 150
This is wonderful news.

A Recap:

We just signed two players to long term deals. Translation: We're demonstrating that committment to the Avs is worthy of their investment in you, do the time and get the contract you've earned. Let's face it, Jones played great a year ago, this past season he played a good beginning and ending; the job insecurity had to bother him.

We just signed three players that have demonstrated great character. Translation: We're demonstrating that if you whine (Quincey) or if you goof off (Stewart) or don't work hard (Wolski) then you're gone.

We just spent money on UFAs. Translation: Management won't just sever ties with you without talking, and it's not their way or the highway, there is some negotiations.

This hopefully means McClement is coming back next. And based on all the signings I'm willing to speculate that in two years we'll see a 'rounding out' of the team into a cup contender instead of a playoff contender. These 2-3 year deals allow Sherman to evaluate everyone's progress and either ship them off or release them right about the time our core begins to enter their prime.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Yep. IMO, it is too much, and too long. The guy under performed for 3/4 of last year, has been injury prone in the past, and disappears far too often for my liking to be given $4m per year.

Not sure I'm liking where this thing is going.
Well, to be FAIR to Jones, it is FACT, that Sacco had the likes of Daniel Winnik and Chuck Kobasew auditioning for the role of top-6 forward at times last season, which certainly must not have instilled too much confidence in the player.

I'm not extremely surprised by the term because I figured he would have signed for 3 or 4 years had he gone to UFA but the $4M per year is shocking to me.

As I mentioned a few days ago, if they signed him for that kind of money, it would 'completely unbalance' what they are trying to do and it's going to be extremely interesting to see how much the remaining UFAs (if any) and RFAs get on their contracts. When you extrapolate goal and point totals from guys like Mueller (without the injury), Downie and McGinn when then joined the team, it's probably going to cost more than most anticipated. [Yes, even though they are RFAs, their agents are still going to use the comparables]

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Not a huge fan of the price or the length.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

A lot of ignorance on the main boards. I've yet to see a single signing thread where the majority of posters doesn't say that the team overpaid for some player. Is Jones worth 4mil in a vacum? Most likely not, but in todays FA market he could easily fetch around 4.5mil.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Elever
Hth

This is a terrible sign paying this kind of money to Hunwick (a 7th dman) and Jones even if he was an FA. It's a bad sign in terms of what Duchene/O'Reilly's cap hit might be, they should've been getting around this amount ideally, now they'll be getting more.

I'm so disappointed in Sherman. He's not a hockey guy but he's a business guy and you'd expect him to do better on the contract side of things. This is borderline Brian Burke overpayment.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:07 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

So for people who are saying we overpaid and dont like this deal, tell me who we could have signed instead for less than 4 mill per on the UFA market who could score 20+ goals next season?

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

I just calculated the numbers, Jones has 21pts in the last 29 games of the regular season.

Being reunited with Stastny and the arrival of McGinn really set him off.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Really happy to have Jones back for 4 more years! 4 million per might be a little bit of an overpayment (by ~ 0.500 a season) but in the deal it won't matter. Really happy about this!

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
jaems

4 million is a lot for a guy whose hit 40 points once in his career.

But honestly he's around the same price range as other UFA's with similar capabilities and so the Avs are clearly betting that he'll be having better performances in the future.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
This is a terrible sign paying this kind of money to Hunwick (a 7th dman) and Jones even if he was an FA. It's a bad sign in terms of what Duchene/O'Reilly's cap hit might be, they should've been getting around this amount ideally, now they'll be getting more.

I'm so disappointed in Sherman. He's not a hockey guy but he's a business guy and you'd expect him to do better on the contract side of things. This is borderline Brian Burke overpayment.
Radar, EJ and Dutch are RFA's, not UFA's. UFA years are worth a lot more.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1200
Wow, there's some serious overreaction in this thread. Likely a result of what the experts on the main board are saying. It's not a bad contract, nor is it bad term if Jonesy is going to play 2nd line wing with Staz and Ginner. He'll put up points on that line. He'd make more in free agency, and we'd pay that much or more to replace him with a comparable player. And who knows if that comparable player would have chemistry with Staz. We seem to have finally found a pair of wingers that can put up points with Staz -- Jonesy and Ginner -- and people are upset that we're going to pay the money or give the term needed to keep that line together?

I really don't see this affecting what ROR or Dutchy sign for. UFA vs RFAs. UFAs tend to get a payday. RFAs get that "next contract", not necessarily the payday contract.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:14 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
So for people who are saying we overpaid and dont like this deal, tell me who we could have signed instead for less than 4 mill per on the UFA market who could score 20+ goals next season?
It is indeed a very non-existent list. Hudler is the only guy I would be willing to spend that money on, but Detroit will likely re-sign him. Jochen Hecht is the 2nd best option.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
I rarely agree with Dater, but he hit the nail on the head here:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...mpaign=twitter

He would have got atleast 4 million on the open market.

You don't just let a 30 goal threat walk for nothing. The Avs had to pay up.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Wow, there's some serious overreaction in this thread. Likely a result of what the experts on the main board are saying. It's not a bad contract, nor is it bad term if Jonesy is going to play 2nd line wing with Staz and Ginner. He'll put up points on that line. He'd make more in free agency, and we'd pay that much or more to replace him with a comparable player. And who knows if that comparable player would have chemistry with Staz. We seem to have finally found a pair of wingers that can put up points with Staz -- Jonesy and Ginner -- and people are upset that we're going to pay the money or give the term needed to keep that line together?

I really don't see this affecting what ROR or Dutchy sign for. UFA vs RFAs. UFAs tend to get a payday. RFAs get that "next contract", not necessarily the payday contract.
You're right, however those players aren't exactly in the same class as Jones either, are they?

BEFORE this signing, some people has Dutchy and Radar making about that $4M per year. (although that seems a bit low to me) Does anyone actually think either will sign for THAT now regardless of their RFA status??

Old
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
You're right, however those players aren't exactly in the same class as Jones either, are they?
If ROR and Dutchy get a big contact it'll be because of who they are -- ROR for the strong year he just had and Dutchy for the potential he has. I just don't see their contracts being influenced much by what Jones got. Precisely because they are all 3 different types of player entirely.

All 3 of them have spent time on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines. Top nine players is what they've been this past year. Jones will likely be top 6 next year, as will Duchene. Maybe ROR, too. But, depending on what happens, any of them could end up on the 3rd line. I expect their contracts to reflect that.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I rarely agree with Dater, but he hit the nail on the head here:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...mpaign=twitter

He would have got atleast 4 million on the open market.

You don't just let a 30 goal threat walk for nothing. The Avs had to pay up.
Wait a minute...I just read this article. My question is:

Has David Jones scored 20 or more goals that last two years???

Old
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
We seem to have finally found a pair of wingers that can put up points with Staz -- Jonesy and Ginner -- and people are upset that we're going to pay the money or give the term needed to keep that line together?
Kind of a small sample size. Stewart was amazing in the second half of the season with the Blues after we traded him, and then the following season completely flamed out with a team that was 2nd in the league.

4 million seems like a lot for a guy who has at best scored 40 something points. But then you look at who else is available off free agency and what other guys make around that range and it's not that bad.

It's just compared to Sharp, Hartnell, Horton, Pavelski, and Michalek who are all comparable age and cap wise, it's a bit of an overpayment. Not a lot, but a bit.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

I like this deal. Rather pay a little extra and keep our players than let him walk and have Kobasew play with Stastny again. Keep the McGinn-Stastny-Jones line going.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:24 PM
GamingGiant

Glad to have Jones locked up. Thought for sure he would be walking as a UFA.

Was hoping for 3-4 years, around $3.5-3.75 per but this is fine given he was a UFA.

Finally some Avalanche news.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote