HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Players who have disappointed since being drafted in 2014

Old
04-25-2016, 11:52 PM
93LEAFS

vCash: 500
Players who have disappointed since being drafted in 2014

Saw we had a thread that got alot of talk with a similar theme for the 2015 class. In regards to the 2015, one down year can happen and bounce back. 2 bad years is usually much worse and a bad trend.

Personally, I would leave Virtanen out of it, while not living up the position he was picked, it is hard to say he has been that disappointing. Dal Colle deserves some discussion, but his 2014-15 season he was a key player for the memorial cup. I'd say the top 2 candidates would be Perlini and Bleackley.

Who do you guys got?

Edit: Can a mod edit the title, was supposed to say drafted, not drafter

Last edited by 93LEAFS: 04-25-2016 at 11:57 PM.
93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2016, 11:55 PM
LV
TML forever

vCash: 0
Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen

Are people still high on Haydn Fleury? Was never a fan of his, I remember being so happy when CAR took him because it'd leave Nylander/Ehlers for us at 8.

LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:00 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
I don't think Scherbak rocked the boat like I hoped he would, but I still think he has promise as a top-6 playmaking winger. Too bad he's being instructed by a proxy coach instead of an actual coach.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Desmond Hume

vCash: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV View Post

Are people still high on Haydn Fleury? Was never a fan of his, I remember being so happy when CAR took him because it'd leave Nylander/Ehlers for us at 8.
Nylander

See I can do this too

Desmond Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:05 AM
Diddy

Quote:

Regarding Fleury everytime I've seen him play he's been pretty Dang good, he's big and plays a nice 2 way game. Plus he put up 41 points in 56 games which is more than last year in less games. Not worth the 7th OA though I don't think.

Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:07 AM
Diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
Nylander

See I can do this too
Except IDK why you would. Nylander lead the AHL in points til his injury (I believe) than put up as many points as Virtanen in 33 less games.

IDK if McCann was a disappointment though.

Old
04-26-2016, 12:09 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
Nylander

See I can do this too
While claiming McCann was an extreme reach, there are reasons to say Virtanen has been disappointing (his draft plus 1 year wasn't very good, this year didn't do much to raise his stock). I'd leave Virtanen off my list, but claiming Nylander would be absurd.

Old
04-26-2016, 12:15 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

The numbers on the right are players who have made the nhl.
The blank spaces are players who haven't.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:16 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Ryan Collins has been bad. Not worth a mid-2nd round pick.

WannabeFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Diddy

Brendan perlini. Not even ppg as 12th OA pick.

Old
04-26-2016, 12:32 AM
nbwingsfan

Regardless of draft position, Virtanen has been a big disappointment. From 45 goals to 21 in his draft +1. So 7 goals in his NHL rookie season which also included one of the worst WJC performances I've ever seen. No doubt his stock has dropped drastically but still plenty of time for him to rebound.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:35 AM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

The numbers on the right are players who have made the nhl.
The blank spaces are players who haven't.
Viktor Arvidsson> Fleury and Honka?

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 12:38 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
Yeah, that logic is pretty funny. For example, I'd trade Kapanen pretty quickly for Vrana or Sanheim, and would probably trade him for MDC or Fluery but I'd have to think about it for a bit.

Old
04-26-2016, 12:55 AM
Jetabre
Laine to the Jets

vCash: 50
Jack Glover.

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
TheOllieC
panthers #badnwagon

vCash: 600
Quote:

Fleury is still quite good. Probably not worth #7 but Carolina is being extra patient with him which will do him well. With Hanifin and then two other rookies joining him surprisingly on a strong defense this season there was no point to rush Fleury. He has great physical tools and needs to continue refining them. Could be a good 2/3.

I would say Perlini and Bleackley. Wasn't Colorado pondering whether to sign Bleackley or not prior to trading him? That's bad for a first rounder. Collins was an awful second rounder for Columbus (ahead of the likes of McKeown and Montour). Jarmo said they though he'd go in the first.

Last edited by TheOllieC: 04-26-2016 at 01:06 AM.
TheOllieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 01:04 AM
caley

Virtanen's draft+1 goal-scoring dip is really only a disappointment when you only look at his statistics. But, really, he was coming off of major shoulder surgery, and you don't bounce back from that instantly, no matter when you return to action, especially a guy whose goals came largely off his shot/timing. Especially when you consider he could have returned sooner if he had taken the surgery earlier, but he played through the pain in order to try to help his team in the playoffs, delaying his surgery until the off-season.

He was sporadically impactful this year, though. The offence hasn't come, but he was largely put in a position which wasn't conducive to offence, i.e. 3rd/energy line shifts.

It's still way too early for this thread, in all actuality. When you think about it, at this time last year Leon Draisaitl would have made some lists because of his disappointing first half in the NHL. Sam Reinhart's another guy who people were down on at this time last year thinking he was too slow for the NHL.

That said, the obvious pick right now has to be Conner Bleackley who was almost immediately disappointing for the Avs (Patrick Roy called out his fitness level about three months after he was drafted), hasn't had a big impact since, has been beset by injuries, had his rights traded and almost certainly won't be signed before June 1st in order to secure his team a 2nd round pick as compensation.

Other potential disappointments are Alex Tuch (Not invited to the US Junior team in either year since the draft, but the Wild are still high on him); Anthony DeAngelo (Has played well since being drafted but the questions about him were always about his attitude and was an occasional healthy scratch for disciplinary reasons this year) and Sonny Milano (Who has yet to really dominate at any level yet), as well as Josh Ho-Sang (What with his training camp snafu last year fanning the flames of his 'headcase' label).

04-26-2016, 02:00 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Apparently you missed the point. The question wasn't: which player is better than which other players?

The question was "which players have disappointed?".

Anybody who's made the nhl within 2 years of their draft isn't a disappointment in my books. At no point did I claim every player who's played in the league is better than everybody who hasn't.

Nice job picking Arvidsson out that group though. Are Nashville fans disappointed with the seclection of Arvidsson?

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 02:06 AM
beachcomber

Quote:
Regardless of draft position, Virtanen has been a big disappointment. From 45 goals to 21 in his draft +1. So 7 goals in his NHL rookie season which also included one of the worst WJC performances I've ever seen. No doubt his stock has dropped drastically but still plenty of time for him to rebound.
What did you expect from a 19 yr old in his first year in the NHL?

beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 03:44 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

I know OP said to leave him out, but for the posters above, Virtanen is a disappointment in the sense that he hasn't kept up with a lot of forwards drafted in the 1st round. Wouldn't even be surprised if we look back and put Virtanen behind Goldobin, Vrana, Tuch, etc, down the road as well. Some Canucks fans will take it the wrong way but it doesn't mean Jake won't develop into a decent forward.

Other than him Perlini is another one that stands out.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 04-26-2016 at 03:51 AM.
TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 04:40 AM
Jyrki Lumme

Virtanen, Perlini, Fleury, Kapanen, Bleackley,

Jyrki Lumme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 05:00 AM
stavs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki Lumme View Post
Kapanen CAN be a good NHL'er, but as we've seen, he has consistency issues that he has to work on in first. I don't really think he had a bad year, but he will be expected to lead the Marlies next season with the doors wide open to play top minutes. His NHL stint was meh, but he did show signs of greatness which is always encouraging. He will need another full season in the AHL and maybe even a little bit longer to work on his weaknesses.

stavs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Face Of Bear

Cant really call Virtanen's and McCann's season a disappointment. They probably shouldn't even have been in the NHL. That's VAN managements fault, not theirs.

Face Of Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 07:04 AM
OmniCube

Quote:

Not a Canucks fan but McCann? Are you serious? If anything he has surpassed expectations thus far. Why would you think he's been disappointing?

Virtanen...not his fault he was picked too high and rushed to the NHL to play in front of an idiot coach. However, I won't argue that he has not lived up to his draft position and his hockey IQ raises major questions.

OmniCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 07:30 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetabre View Post
Jack Glover.
I'd be extremely hesitant to put any late round draft pick in the disappointment column, simply because the late round is such a crap shoot.

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2016, 08:16 AM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki Lumme View Post
Kapanen is not disappointment. He is 8th of points in AHL under 20 years old, first year in NA, 3 points les than Adrian Kempe, but Kapanen has 10 less games. He has all the tool to be a very good player. His skating is absolutely sick good, he can change very fast to the other way his skating where he have first go. His hands are gold. One of the best skating and hands all under 20 years old. Only what he need is killer instinct to goal score, so i hope he training with Laine this summer his shot. He is also good size, bigger and better hands than his father, but skating is same. He can be easily one of the best wingers in NHL, he is just 20 years and his production wasn't that he get his ceiling this young, i think 22 years and you see amazing player here.

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote