HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes could find new fans in Latino community

Old
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

vCash: 500
I have seen plenty of Non-White Non Hispanic people get into hockey over the years from many different markets and one of those markets that has a great interest(especailly among Latinos) is the SF Bay Area(San Jose Sharks). Will it grow more? Of course! Will hockey be the #1 sport among or at least liked by every single minority member in the United States? I doubt that very much. Personally, while I do see the interest rising from minorities into the game, at the same time I can and will care less what the make-up of the hockey fans are for in the end we are all human beings no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Will there be a "Los Coyotes" 3rd jersey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Given the way the term "coyotes" is used sometimes in these parts I wouldn't think it'd be wise.
The whole "Los" thing is pure target marketing and marketing myopia crap that needs to go. If you are refering to human smuggling, the term commonly used in the mainstream is "coyote" and not "coyotes" I'm sure almost everyone in Arizona can tell the differences between that and the wild animal and the name of a hockey team assoicated with that wild animal.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:54 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvete View Post
I was going to hold off on commenting on this topic but MP's reply really doesn't sit well with me.
The ginger bit was an attempt to be amusing--hopelessly ill-conceived and wholly regrettable in hindsight, but no harm was intended. I'd hoped that my Dumb American allusions to the Irish (a racialized "Other" in their own right) would have tipped people off to the fact that I was ************, and I chose not to use the sarcasm emoticon on the theory that, if one writes well enough, no such e-shorthand is required. Clearly, I did not write well enough.

If nothing else, I'm glad that it prompted a reply from someone with your perspective on the issue.

This isn't the first time someone has raised the question anent fostering interest in hockey and the Coyotes among Hispanics--some years ago, there was some thought given to bringing in Scott Gomez, who, in addition to being (at the time) a well-regarded center, might have been a boon in that regard.

There was just something about it that seemed transparent to me--phony in a way: "hockey isn't just for white people, and here's one of your own to prove it..." I'd hate to see the team resort to such a stunning degree of condescension in an attempt to garner more publicity, and I'd hate to see Raffi Torres (or anyone else) find himself in so humiliating a role as that.

Of course, that's not what Pho and rt are suggesting; they seem to be advocating a more organic approach that isn't so cynical. At the end of the day, my real fear is that the marketing people get it wrong, which would probably culminate in disaster. I do think something as straightforward as a Spanish-language radio broadcast, along with telecasts if possible, would be a good start.

There is something else I would like to ask:

The term "coyote" has been applied to those who smuggle humans into the United States. I've wondered at times if the team's name has caused any amount of discomfort among Hispanics on that basis. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Am I over-thinking things?

Edit: I see others have made the same connection. Would love to know more.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
The ginger bit was an attempt to be amusing--hopelessly ill-conceived and wholly regrettable in hindsight, but no harm was intended. I'd hoped that my Dumb American allusions to the Irish (a racialized "Other" in their own right) would have tipped people off to the fact that I was ************, and I chose not to use the sarcasm emoticon on the theory that, if one writes well enough, no such e-shorthand is required. Clearly, I did not write well enough.

If nothing else, I'm glad that it prompted a reply from someone with your perspective on the issue.

This isn't the first time someone has raised the question anent fostering interest in hockey and the Coyotes among Hispanics--some years ago, there was some thought given to bringing in Scott Gomez, who, in addition to being (at the time) a well-regarded center, might have been a boon in that regard.

There was just something about it that seemed transparent to me--phony in a way: "hockey isn't just for white people, and here's one of your own to prove it..." I'd hate to see the team resort to such a stunning degree of condescension in an attempt to garner more publicity, and I'd hate to see Raffi Torres (or anyone else) find himself in so humiliating a role as that.

Of course, that's not what Pho and rt are suggesting; they seem to be advocating a more organic approach that isn't so cynical. At the end of the day, my real fear is that the marketing people get it wrong, which would probably culminate in disaster. I do think something as straightforward as a Spanish-language radio broadcast, along with telecasts if possible, would be a good start.

The term "coyote" has been applied to those who smuggle humans into the United States. I've wondered at times if the team's name has caused any amount of discomfort among Hispanics on that basis. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Am I over-thinking things?

The Florida Panthers did that many years ago and wasn't all that successful. If anything, its the product itself that draws people of any walk of life more to the game.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
helvete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post

No harm, no foul. Like I said, I must've lost the sarcasm in text.

But I agree with a bulk of what you said. I'd hate for this to turn into "Hey, hes like you, watch us!" It seems like that could happen rather easily. Possibly just eliminating the aspect of having someone for the Hispanics to 'relate' to could curve the chances of it coming across that way. Adding one or two games per week to be broadcasted in spanish to test the idea out wouldn't hurt, I don't think. Then let the advertising for those broadcasts run its course.

How its looking this season is about a fresh start and in theory thats a fresh market, why not try it and see what happens.

I doubt theres any discomfort with 'Coyotes' or 'Los Coyotes' but if Coyotes go the route of using 'Los' they need to be ready to make the full pledge of spanish broadcasts, whether it be radio or tv.

Last edited by helvete: 06-07-2012 at 11:38 PM.
helvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:57 PM
tuxonpups

You broke the cardinal rule MP...

tuxonpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:32 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
My "Los Coyotes" comment was wondering if the team would be pandering the way the NBA does.

I know the game sells itself. My daughters love to go. It's the only sport they'd go to. I think the basic similarity to soccer would only help to sell it, as that is something the Latino community would be more familiar with. Put the puck(ball) in the net more than the opponent and you win. Ties are decided with a shootout.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:32 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxonpups View Post
You broke the cardinal rule MP...
My hair is a steadily-darkening blond, but my beard (if it can be called that), when I let it grow, does boast a substantial number of red whiskers. Also, my maternal grandmother was a redhead, which means my mitochondria have freckles.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:06 AM
0point1
Custom User Title

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I have seen plenty of Non-White Non Hispanic people get into hockey over the years from many different markets and one of those markets that has a great interest(especailly among Latinos) is the SF Bay Area(San Jose Sharks).
I have gone to several Sharks games at HP and I noticed that The Sharks have a huge Latino fan base and I always wondered why the Coyotes' fan base is so different. The Sharks fan base is a pretty accurate reflection of their community (white,latino,asian) while the Coyotes fan base seems to be exclusively white. No doubt the Coyotes could do a better job at outreach to the entire community.

0point1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
turbodaze

I lived in Arizona for 4 months and no one wants anything cold on them except a cold drink.

Then most speak spanish so that would be a challenge in itself. Trying to teach them hockey would be nuts.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
I lived in Arizona for 4 months and no one wants anything cold on them except a cold drink.

Then most speak spanish so that would be a challenge in itself. Trying to teach them hockey would be nuts.
They may speak Spanish, but they're not stupid.

If you can understand futbol, you can understand hockey.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:04 PM
OKCDevil

Hockey is just a faster-paced, more-interesting version of soccer anyway, when you get right down to it.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
turbodaze

go tell that to them. They hate the cold. Most have lived near Mexico most of their lives.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
go tell that to them. They hate the cold. Most have lived near Mexico most of their lives.
I have told that to them. I've taken them to games. They liked it, and the cold was never an issue.

Mexico is not warm all the time. Phoenix is not warm all the time. Jobing.com arena is not so freezing cold that you can't deal with it for the 2-3 hours it takes to watch a hockey game.

If it's available, people will watch it - even brown people who speak Spanish will watch it, if they can find it.

I think the biggest issue with audience the past few years has been the TV coverage - if you have to HUNT for the game (and sometimes you can't watch it because it's not being shown at all!) how on earth are new, casual fans going to be lured in? Sticking it on Fox Sports + does not do the team any favors.

100% of the students I've taken to the games have loved it. About 20% of my students have Fox Sports Plus. ALL of them have expressed disappointment when they learned that they probably wouldn't be able to watch many games on tv.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I've lived near Mexico my entire life. I was born in Chandler in 1985 and have never lived outside of the valley.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:

Yeah, sheer madness, that is

http://www.iihf.com/channels1112/wm-.../team/MEX.html

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
huhwhtfkr

I'm not a soccer guy myselfbut it would seem to match up pretty well. small jump over i would think. $ might be a bigger issue, you need to hook the young ones and its an expensive youth sport. I know the team had/has charitable arm to the community leagues. thats usually your best bet in the long run.

huhwhtfkr is offline   Reply With Quote