HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrice Brisebois named player development coach

Old
06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Maverik

vCash: 500
You know what's good about being an assistant coach? You don't have to go in the corner...

FFS, people saying they don't want him to coach because he was afraid to go in the corners? What the hell does it have to do with his job. It's not like he'd be telling his D not to go in the corners...

Also, he is not coaching in midget, he doesn't have to "teach" anything to these guys.. He's there for strategy, motivation, etc. He played 1100 games in the NHL, I think he gets the strategy part, even if he was average at executing it. Like some said, Gretzky was the best at executing it, did it help him be a good coach?

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
raz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
he doesn't have to "teach" anything to these guys..
Yes, yes he does.

Player development does not stop once you reach the NHL.
Michel Therrien was saying it a few days ago, where were you?

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Habanero514

I heard rumours that PJ Stock or Georges Laraque will be the Habs next fitness coach...

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Also, he is not coaching in midget, he doesn't have to "teach" anything to these guys.. He's there for strategy, motivation, etc. He played 1100 games in the NHL, I think he gets the strategy part, even if he was average at executing it. Like some said, Gretzky was the best at executing it, did it help him be a good coach?
I'm sorry, but if that's the only rationale behind the hiring as assistant coach you're going to have to repeat all summer long, because it's pretty damn weak. Who exactly saw any of that strategy part you're talking about as a coach? All I saw was racing. Strategy while playing has nothing to do with standing behind the bench and directing players. (See in the same line of argument as the Gretzky one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
I heard rumours that PJ Stock or Georges Laraque will be the Habs next fitness coach...
Yes and Jojo Savard is the next PR director.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Must be big George, PJ is busy with his endorsement deals with Depends...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:00 AM
idk

Perhaps my memory is going in my old age, but I remember Breezy being a very competent blue-liner when not under pressure. He had a low panic threshold and started making bad choices when playing in high stress situations (in particular against physical teams that he couldn't finesse his way around) but I remember him being a very skilled guy who could make seeing eye passes when the opposition gave him time.

I know it doesn't make him a good coach (as other people have pointed out, technical skill only takes you so far - see Gretzky's stint at coaching in Phoenix) but I don't think his inability to take a hit or play under pressure makes him a bad coach either. He made it to hockey's highest level and did a good enough job of it to stick around a long time, despite his short-comings. And if he can teach Subban and Beaulieu to make passes like he could without turning them into shrinking violets it might not be a bad thing.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
WestIslander

My guess is that he is the assistant coach (defense) and they are courting Carbonneau to be the other assistant as well.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Saopolo123

Carbo would be a great fit but i don't know anything about how good is Brisebois in this way of hockey, Maybe he could be good if he get his chance.

Saopolo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Well it was said on l'antichambre that Patrice's role would be with the young guys coming up from Hamilton, I think he'll be some kind of counselor and will prepare guys like Beaulieu, Gallagher, Tinordi to face the pressure that comes from playing in Montreal.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Well it was said on l'antichambre that Patrice's role would be with the young guys coming up from Hamilton, I think he'll be some kind of counselor and will prepare guys like Beaulieu, Gallagher, Tinordi to face the pressure that comes from playing in Montreal.
That makes LOTS of sense !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Lots of *****ing in this thread. I don't understand how anyone can make a case for his coaching skills/hockey knowledge solely based on his performances as a player. I also don't get how people think he was terrible, management offered him too much money, which in the process made him one of our top pairing defensemen when really he wasn't...

Patrice always had the right attitude, he even had the balls to come back after being booed out of town even if it wasn't deserved (IMO those boos should've been directed at management, no one would refuse a contract like that).

In short, I have confidence in our new management and if they wanna have Breezer on board for any role, I trust that he will do well.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:42 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Isn't that what Marty Lapointe is supposed to be doing?

Gah too many positions to memorize. The team goes from one man in charge to 5 having a say.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Gah too many positions to memorize. The team goes from one man in charge to 5 having a say.
Lapointe is there for player development, I believe, which is more the physical side of things. If the habs want to create a new position and have someone be the kids' buddy and help them talk through pressures and the mental aspect, who better than a guy like breezer? Say what you want about the guy, but the guy has watermelons for balls for coming back to Montreal.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:49 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Lapointe is there for player development, I believe, which is more the physical side of things. If the habs want to create a new position and have someone be the kids' buddy and help them talk through pressures and the mental aspect, who better than a guy like breezer? Say what you want about the guy, but the guy has watermelons for balls for coming back to Montreal.
I'd like that if the intent is to retool/rebuild. He can just hang out and almost be like a team psychologist. He could also be an ambassador on "off" days.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
So he's like Babe Ruth?
More like Dave Kingman

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Thing is, if the 1 doing it before was doing 20% of each, I have no problem with 5 doing 100% of each. But at one point, they will have to explain them all. I also thought that player's development was to be the next Claude Ruel. Though you hear that the only reason why Lapointe didn't want to be an assistant is that he didn't want to move his family from Chicago....so is he going to travel a whole lot? Doing a lot of things from his home? What type of job is this? And then you have Brisebois, who clearly will be present locally. So could this job be scinded in 2? Brisebois who will take the kids once they are in Hamilton while Lapointe does the US?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
HCH

Quote:

Luckily we don't have to know what the exact roles of each will be... but they will need to understand what is expected and required.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Rumor now is that Brisebois might be headed in Hamilton as d-man coach….not sure if I like this….this is where the rookies are going to know what it takes to be with the pros….At worst, you keep Ladouceur and send him in Hamilton, you don’t hire Lapointe, and make a ex-hab like Brisebois in charge of player’s development….

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
number 11

more recycling? at least bring back a player who could actually play hockey during his career.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Rumor now is that Brisebois might be headed in Hamilton as d-man coach….not sure if I like this….this is where the rookies are going to know what it takes to be with the pros….At worst, you keep Ladouceur and send him in Hamilton, you don’t hire Lapointe, and make a ex-hab like Brisebois in charge of player’s development….
You say this as if Randy would accept a demotion. It doesn't work like that.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Et le But

Maybe Brisebois has a great tactical mind, who knows. Of course I'm not sure how he can coach when he can barely speak English, but you never know...

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think they're gonna have multi functions, Brisebois and Lapointe will work together to make sure the young guys are ready in all aspects when they make the big club.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
DrunkenHabz

Please no. This guy is talking out of his ass at TVA Sports. What he says doesn't even make any sense most of the time, and there's someone around the table that always end up cutting him cause they're embarrassed for him. And for some reason, when demonstrating/analyzing a play on the screen, he yells like a a freak. Got nothing against the guy, but I don't want him on this team.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
more recycling? at least bring back a player who could actually play hockey during his career.
Why does that matter? Other than guys like Lemaire, Robinson and Yzerman, most GMs and coaches were average players or guys who played a handful of NHL games. Some of them never made the NHL.

People need to relax. First, people go over the MT nomination and then over a potential assistant coach.

Let's all take a deep breath and reserve judgment until there are roster changes. Even better, let's wait 10-20 games.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Why does that matter? Other than guys like Lemaire, Robinson and Yzerman, most GMs and coaches were average players or guys who played a handful of NHL games. Some of them never made the NHL.

People need to relax. First, people go over the MT nomination and then over a potential assistant coach.

Let's all take a deep breath and reserve judgment until there are roster changes. Even better, let's wait 10-20 games.
like Marc Bergevin

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote