HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tampa to trade for Jonathan Bernier?

Old
06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Kingler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
If we are talking hindsight, no he was not. There are multiple players chosen after him that LA would take over him 11 times out of 10 at this point.

The fact remains that Bernier is not much further developed than he was when he was first drafted. The years of pro experience are nice but sitting on the bench and playing 10 games a year isnt helpful at all.

Its not like the Kings have never gone off the board to make a pick higher than most everyone else would have done (Hickey).

Right now Bernier is worth a late 1st round pick. Or a couple of 2nd round picks. Due to the situation I wouldnt be surprised to see TB send Detroits 1st plus a 2nd for him just to make sure they got him.

Hes not worth all that much because he hasnt proven he can do what any team trading for him would want him to do. It would be a large gamble so no one is going to give up a lot for that.
And there are a handful of players chose before him that his value is currently higher...so what? Which points to the fact that you don't know what you will get in the draft, especially if you are planning to draft a goalie, which takes more time to develop and more effort put in by the player and the organization

Like i said, the draft is over hyped and people really love those prospects, which i totally understand. But here's a question. Who in the past...say 10 years that was drafted #10 overall would you trade #10 overall 2012 for, assuming they are at same age? In theory it should be about 50%, or 5 players, but don't think you will get close to that number. Is it because the draft is the best draft in 10 years? or 20 years?

Given this, out of those #10 overall picks from the past 10 years...who would you not trade for Bernier?

And yes I do agree, Bernier has very very little NHL experience. But that's really what makes it even more intriguing. Its like draft pick, you never know what you will get and people will project and dream of the possibilities

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
And there are a handful of players chose before him that his value is currently higher...so what? Which points to the fact that you don't know what you will get in the draft, especially if you are planning to draft a goalie, which takes more time to develop and more effort put in by the player and the organization

Like i said, the draft is over hyped and people really love those prospects, which i totally understand. But here's a question. Who in the past...say 10 years that was drafted #10 overall would you trade #10 overall 2012 for, assuming they are at same age? In theory it should be about 50%, or 5 players, but don't think you will get close to that number. Is it because the draft is the best draft in 10 years? or 20 years?

Given this, out of those #10 overall picks from the past 10 years...who would you not trade for Bernier?

And yes I do agree, Bernier has very very little NHL experience. But that's really what makes it even more intriguing. Its like draft pick, you never know what you will get and people will project and dream of the possibilities
Brodin, Paarjarvi, and certain extent Hodgson.

stryfe604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Brodin, Paarjarvi, and certain extent Hodgson.
So pretty much anyone who doesn't have much NHL experience...so the further you get away from the draft the worst they look?

Old
06-08-2012, 08:52 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post

Eh, of the players taken before Bernier, only James Sheppard has been what would be considered a bust. Every other player has contributed pretty darn decently in their careers thus far.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:52 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Guys first post here! I am a big Tampa fan and I follow them really hard. Yzerman has stated that he will look for trading for a goalie before going into the free agent market. Meaning he is not sold on what is available. He also stated that he wanted a goalie that may be unproven and that may grow with the team which leaves Luongo out and the options of going for someone like Bernier-Lindback-Schneider more than likely.

He piled up all these draft picks for a reason and it is assumed that Bernier is his number one choice. He may give Connolly and a first (19th) but probably not much more if Connolly is indeed offered. He may also offer Det 1st and 2 seconds or something along the lines.

King's fans may not like trading Bernier but with Quick in the fold you would think that bernier would like to get a shot somewhere and you may risk not getting anything in return if he goes as a free agent.

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Kingler

Quote:
Eh, of the players taken before Bernier, only James Sheppard has been what would be considered a bust. Every other player has contributed pretty darn decently in their careers thus far.
I guess i'm talking about value here. If the team has goalie issue i think they would trade Frolik or Peter Mueller for Bernier for example

Edit: btw i do agree with you that a player who has done something at NHL level should be worth more or just as much as a similar player who has done nothing at NHL level. So which bring back my original argument of Bernier > 10th pick which god knows who TB will be able to get

Old
06-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Ajaton Azer
A small hamster

1st round pick and a decent prospect from Tampa should be enough to get Bernier. He could be the best goalie since Puppa!

Ajaton Azer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Bernier.

A LOT cheaper, similar upside, simply not as proven.
FWIW, local media has said Yzerman's first desire would have been Schneider.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's true. The problem seems to be defense-based and goaltender is just part of that. The entire TB team is built wrong.
That's why the GM is working on a plan to fix it. Unless there's some rule in place that says the Bolts can only make one move during the off season, of course.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
KingCanadain1976

wow after this same thread has happened 3 times before this and didnt get this big lol I guess anything with mckennizes name on it gets double the posts lol again it comes down to bernier muzzin for the 19th and connelly both sides will be happy im sure of it.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
wow after this same thread has happened 3 times before this and didnt get this big lol I guess anything with mckennizes name on it gets double the posts lol again it comes down to bernier muzzin for the 19th and connelly both sides will be happy im sure of it.
Too much. Bernier is worth IMO the 19th. Muzzin is worth a 2nd round pick.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:16 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Too much. Bernier is worth IMO the 19th. Muzzin is worth a 2nd round pick.
Everyone is intitled to there own opinion i think its a little in favour of La but as its been pointed out The kings dont need connelly and the 19 as much as tampa needs a goalie. If you think theres a better option out there that u can get for that plus inform me. and take it lol Bernier is signed and only rfa to come so that means 3 years to give him games at a cheap rate.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

If this happens should Gillis be happy because it's one more goalie off the market or concerned because another option for a Luongo trade is off the table? or a bit of both?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
If this happens should Gillis be happy because it's one more goalie off the market or concerned because another option for a Luongo trade is off the table? or a bit of both?
I can't imagine Gillis would love it because even though I don't personally think the Lightning were ever going to get involved in Luongo talks, Tampa was presumably one of Luongo's preferred trade destinations.

sayheykid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
huntison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBolt View Post
Guys first post here! I am a big Tampa fan and I follow them really hard. Yzerman has stated that he will look for trading for a goalie before going into the free agent market. Meaning he is not sold on what is available. He also stated that he wanted a goalie that may be unproven and that may grow with the team which leaves Luongo out and the options of going for someone like Bernier-Lindback-Schneider more than likely.

He piled up all these draft picks for a reason and it is assumed that Bernier is his number one choice. He may give Connolly and a first (19th) but probably not much more if Connolly is indeed offered. He may also offer Det 1st and 2 seconds or something along the lines.

King's fans may not like trading Bernier but with Quick in the fold you would think that bernier would like to get a shot somewhere and you may risk not getting anything in return if he goes as a free agent.
Welcome! Great first post!

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
kinghock

Quote:

Bernier is going to be RFA in a year. He is going nowhere without being traded by Kings.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Monarchist

The Kings need a first line winger. This is the only need. Proposals:

Deal 1:

CAR:
10th overall (Dumba, Trouba, Reinhart, Rielly, or Ceci?)
40th overall

TBL:
Bernier
Muzzin

LAK:
8th overall (Teravainen)

Carolina gets a second for drafting a top defenseman instead of a scoring winger of about equal value.

Deal 2:

TML:
10th overall (Faksa)
19th overall (Girgensons, Hertl, Prokhorkin, Subban, or Vasilevski?)
37th overall

TBL:
Bernier
Forbort

LAK:
5th overall (Forsberg)
40th overall

Toronto doesn't put all their eggs in an enigmatic Russian basket, and still gets to draft a big first line center. Tampa gets the two pieces they need most, of high quality.

Deal 3:

NYI:
10th overall (Dumba, Trouba, Reinhart, Rielly, or Ceci?)
50th overall
Hickey

TBL:
Bernier
Muzzin

LAK:
4th overall (Forsberg)

The Islanders get well compensated for taking a defenseman only slightly worse than Murray.

Last edited by Monarchist: 06-08-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Numbers

I have a question for LA fans in this thread......are Tampa fans being really stingy for offers for Bernier?

I remember when Schneider or Luongo were being offered to TB. They were lowballing Van like crazy and would not even accept giving up the 10th overall like it was the second coming of Stamkos lol

Numbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Welcome! Great first post!
Thanks man!

Old
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
There's really no way in hell that Tampa Bay will trade that 10th overall pick. The draft is too top-heavy in high end defensemen, which they badly need, and there should be no doubt that they're going to be getting the best one available.

Then they'll get Bernier with a different package, and have their cake and eat it too. But they're not trading that 10th overall pick.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
There's really no way in hell that Tampa Bay will trade that 10th overall pick. The draft is too top-heavy in high end defensemen, which they badly need, and there should be no doubt that they're going to be getting the best one available.

Then they'll get Bernier with a different package, and have their cake and eat it too. But they're not trading that 10th overall pick.
lol you just answered my question.

TB fans are ridiculous cause they want young upcoming goalies (Bernier, Schneider) but somehow feel entitled to get them for nothing and completely rip the other team off.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:01 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Bernier is going to be RFA in a year. He is going nowhere without being traded by Kings.
I know. The problem for you guys is that the more you wait the less you will get, predicting that his value is already high enough to get you quite a good deal and you may be risking for him to start loosing his value over time considering Quick will get 65 plus starts next year.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Numbers

Quote:
I know. The problem for you guys is that the more you wait the less you will get, predicting that his value is already high enough to get you quite a good deal and you may be risking for him to start loosing his value over time considering Quick will get 65 plus starts next year.
But TB has a bigger problem......they dont have a goalie!

Pretty sure LA has more leverage here.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
lol you just answered my question.

TB fans are ridiculous cause they want young upcoming goalies (Bernier, Schneider) but somehow feel entitled to get them for nothing and completely rip the other team off.
1. He's not a Lightning fan.
2. Many other non Lightning fans have said Connolly or 10 is too much.
3. Why do Vancouver fans always try to wedge Luongo into a thread?

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I have a question for LA fans in this thread......are Tampa fans being really stingy for offers for Bernier?

I remember when Schneider or Luongo were being offered to TB. They were lowballing Van like crazy and would not even accept giving up the 10th overall like it was the second coming of Stamkos lol
imo yes people on theses boards think the picks they hold have more value then they do. Players that are early in there carrer or stuck behind better players get under valued in here. Young defenseman in la are stuck behind one of the best nhl defenses in the league Martinez can play top four mintues with possible upside of 1st line with some time but is stuck behind Drew Doughty and Slava Voynov As la plays a offensive defenseman with a defensive defenseman alec is only seeing 5th dman mins