Notices

The 2012-2013 Boston Celtics Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

vCash: 500
DeAndre Jordan is a young, okay role player on a good team, but he is something as opposed to nothing.

Doc doesn't want to be here anymore.

Pierce is going to be out one way or another, and with Pierce and Doc gone, Garnett would walk away. So, you might as well move Doc and Garnett and get something for them, instead of getting nothing. The team is going to suck next year no matter what. They are blowing it up, and Garnett and Doc aren't going to help you next year. If anything, they are going to cause you to be a 7 or 8 seed instead of bottoming out and getting back into the lottery.

Jordan is a piece, the draft pick is a piece, and Butler's contract expires after this year...so he could be a piece as well.

It's about accumulating young, cheap, pieces with upside, either to build around or trade for something better.

This deal is as good as it was going to get.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:11 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

WEEI reporting that Chris Paul has supposedly confirmed that he would re-sign with LA if they acquire Rivers and Garnett, and that it's good news for the Celts. Now that Paul has publicly said that, it gives Boston some much needed leverage to close this out. Would be kind of hard for LA to back out now?

Also, I don't think the Rivers - Thomas comparisons work. Rivers was (apparently) under the impression that he was going to be able to make another run at the championship, while Ainge wants to start the rebuild now.

Hard to blame either side, although Doc had to know the rebuild was coming. The Celtics were not beating MIA as currently constructed, so I don't blame Ainge. Hopefully, he can maximize the return for Doc and KG.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:29 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
WEEI reporting that Chris Paul has supposedly confirmed that he would re-sign with LA if they acquire Rivers and Garnett, and that it's good news for the Celts. Now that Paul has publicly said that, it gives Boston some much needed leverage to close this out. Would be kind of hard for LA to back out now?

Also, I don't think the Rivers - Thomas comparisons work. Rivers was (apparently) under the impression that he was going to be able to make another run at the championship, while Ainge wants to start the rebuild now.

Hard to blame either side, although Doc had to know the rebuild was coming. The Celtics were not beating MIA as currently constructed, so I don't blame Ainge. Hopefully, he can maximize the return for Doc and KG.
Rivers has been here forever. 9 years.

I think Rivers had no problems working under Ainge because Danny got him Allen and KG to go with Pierce. However going forward Rivers has no control over personnel and is at Ainge's mercy. Rivers can't tell Ainge what to do I think he's been fine with that up until now but you can't really expect a coach of his stature to have such little control on personnel.

If Rivers could coach KG and PP into their retirement and try and get them Championship level help he'd do it. But he has no control over what Ainge does. And Rivers stock is currently very high if he stayed and had 2 bad seasons in Boston and he won't be such a highly sought commodity. Its time for him to move on. Even if the Clips deal falls through.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

If that's the case and Paul isn't going to bolt when his contract is up, then the Celtics should push for Bledsoe in the deal. He is going to be nothing more than a role player in LA as long as Paul is there, except for the event of a freak injury. They're not maximizing Bledsoe's value keeping him as a backup PG. Hope the Celts can find a way to get him in the deal.

Actually now that I think about it, there was a rumored deal for Bledsoe/Griffin for Howard so maybe that's why they're refusing to deal him to Boston?

Old
06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
BergyDGD
#Deutschland#Arsenal

Danny Ainge told the Globe the deal is dead according to Baxter Holmes on twitter.

Baxter Holmes ‏@BaxterHolmes 7m
Danny Ainge confirms to the @BostonGlobe that the proposed Clippers-Celtics deal is, in fact, dead.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:19 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
Good for Ainge.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Mione134

Lets hope the deal is in fact dead. You gotta give to get. The Clippers can't see that so, sorry you can't have them.

In all honesty, I'm greedy and I want Ainge to give it one more go with KG, Pierce & Doc. Will it be good for the club? Eh. Probably not. But seeing PP in another uniform would make me puke.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:11 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Lets hope the deal is in fact dead. You gotta give to get. The Clippers can't see that so, sorry you can't have them.

In all honesty, I'm greedy and I want Ainge to give it one more go with KG, Pierce & Doc. Will it be good for the club? Eh. Probably not. But seeing PP in another uniform would make me puke.
Yeah.

Funny thing is at this point I think there is too much money for anyone on the line to do otherwise. In fact, this time next year I wouldn't be shocked if the same kinda crap goes down AGAIN. I see Garnett and Pierce as guys who will keep playing into old age. I think the pair will look to latch onto a contender at the trade deadline if we stink or next summer IMO. I think both think they have another year or two left in themselves if they can be the complimentary pieces on a good team. I don't think they have much tread in the tires if they are supposed to be stars though and carry a team (like they'd be here.)

Right now we probably bring everyone back. Management and Danny might not be happy about it (7 mil to Doc 15 to Paul) though so if a deal is forced through its to avoid paying those 2. Paul and Doc have a lot of money owed to them for guys who might not want to be here. And Pierce's 15 years as the teams main player are over.

Is Doc really going to leave the 7 mil a year that Donald Sterling WOULDN'T pay him on the table to broadcast for 10% of that while the Celtics still control him for 3 more years? Probably not. He'll coach.

Is KG ready to retire and never play again? Probably not (or he'd have done so by now.)

Pierce: Now he's the one who will dictate what happens.

1 of 2 things happens

-Danny trades him at the draft to save the money and force Doc to retire. (In which case KG retires.)

-Pierce stays. He gets 15 mil. Rivers decides he wants his 7. KG wants to play with his boys.

There is nowhere else for Doc Rivers to coach. I think this deal would be completed by now if he took a paycut to work for the Clips. I bet all 3 return.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Mione134

^ you may very good points.

I see all three returning, and I hope they do. A healthy Rondo this team can do anything. Now, if we can shed some $$ IE-Terry or Lee, we can try to sign maybe Ellis, or Smith. Its all about the numbers. The Draft will be something to watch.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Celtics are being dumb get rid of them for anything

We don't want to pull the bird era again where we kept evetyone way too long took 15 years to recover

Old
06-18-2013, 05:38 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Also this team have a 0% chance of winning the title blow it up

Tank for Wiggins!

Old
06-18-2013, 05:55 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Hockey View Post

We don't want to pull the bird era again where we kept evetyone way too long took 15 years to recover
To late

Old
06-18-2013, 06:07 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:

This is a reasonable post.

Quote:
Also this team have a 0% chance of winning the title blow it up

Tank for Wiggins!
This can't/won't happen. I don't think under any circumstances we can suck enough to get a top 5 lottery pick. There is some serious garbage in the NBA and next year they all know there will be 3-4 franchise players coming into the NBA. No matter what we do we are getting a 7/8 seed and making the playoffs.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:09 PM
acr*

I'd call KG and Doc's bluffs if I were Ainge unless the Clippers want to offer Bledsoe or something with actual value.

If Doc would rather call games on TNT for a couple hundred thousand instead of coaching in Boston for $7 million, then **** him. If KG would rather retire than play another year here, then **** him too.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:10 PM
jstaal
go canes go

celts fan for 50 years, doc is greedy, doesnt want to be here, so let him go, PP is over the hill, the team is old, and rondo is a headcase, so lets get Bird to replace Ainge, and Brian Shaw as head coach... Sounds good to me..

Old
06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
This is a reasonable post.
Last time the Celtics held on to a big 3 it took them 9 years to win a playoff series

They can't make the same mistake again

Old
06-18-2013, 07:32 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
The Clippers weren't offering anything they could rebuild on. Better to take one last shot.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
Last time the Celtics held on to a big 3 it took them 9 years to win a playoff series

They can't make the same mistake again
The NBA of the 80's and 90's aren't even remotely comparable to today.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:10 PM
BergyDGD
#Deutschland#Arsenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post

This 100%, are they a legit title contender with PP, KG, and Rondo making one last run probably not but screw it let's make one more run at it. One way or another there are lean years ahead so why not go for it one more time. The ship that is selling off Doc, KG, and PP for legit future building blocks has sailed. We have some serious sucking ahead of us in years to come, I'd like to enjoy one last playoff run before enduring some long dark winters in regards to the Celtics.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:13 PM
13Hockey
Champs! Thank U B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
The NBA of the 80's and 90's aren't even remotely comparable to today.
The fact that no free agents ever consider signing with Boston still exisits though

The only way to rebuild is tank build up picks hope they turn into superstars and if they dont pull a kg type deal again

Old
06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
The fact that no free agents ever consider signing with Boston still exisits though

The only way to rebuild is tank build up picks hope they turn into superstars and if they dont pull a kg type deal again
Josh Smith seems to have had interest in being traded here. Him and Rondo are close. Maybe we'll see him sign here if the money is freed up.

The Clippers are being stingy **********. You gotta give to get, jackasses.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
pgm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
This 100%, are they a legit title contender with PP, KG, and Rondo making one last run probably not but screw it let's make one more run at it. One way or another there are lean years ahead so why not go for it one more time. The ship that is selling off Doc, KG, and PP for legit future building blocks has sailed. We have some serious sucking ahead of us in years to come, I'd like to enjoy one last playoff run before enduring some long dark winters in regards to the Celtics.
I am with you on this, if the basketball Gods smile on us & keep this group healthy for a year, there is a chance banner 18 can be raised. It takes so long to build a contender in the NBA, but if we ain't getting a reasonable deal done let's try to screw the Heat one more time. !!!

Old
06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
I disagree with that, KG and Pierce's best days are behind them. They were lucky to get that Knicks series to 6 games, they looked old, slow, and just less talented than a Knicks team that really wasn't THAT good. There's very little chance they can compete for a title in a league with Miami, NYK, even Chicago, San Antonio, OKC and others.

If the NYK series told us anything, it's that Green needs to be starting. Pierce is one of the best Celtics of all time, but he's now blocking Green, and if we're going to rebuild, I don't want to waste another year of Green's contract having him come off of the bench behind Pierce. I would have been fine getting Jordan and the picks, while Jordan isn't your ideal center on a contender, he is a much better option than they have had at that position for a long time. I was looking at the potential lineup we could have run out there this year, the starting 5 would have been Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Jordan which, under a young, energetic head coach like Brian Shaw would have been fun to watch. It would have probably been a long year, but that lineup is young, athletic and is still better than some other starting 5's out there (looking at you Charlotte, Cleveland, etc.)

Old
06-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

HAha Spurs gonna win can't believe I broke ended up watching 30 seconds of final dissapointed in myself.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:47 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1449647