Notices

The 2012-2013 Boston Celtics Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 05:51 PM
HartfordBruin
3rd Cav

vCash: 500
I've seen the reports that the Celts want Austin Rivers, and I can't blame them. Seems like the chatter is that he'll be gone by the 10 spot though, so I doubt the Celtics can muster enough to trade up with just the 21 & 22, especially since we aren't going to trade Bradley.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordBruin View Post
I've seen the reports that the Celts want Austin Rivers, and I can't blame them. Seems like the chatter is that he'll be gone by the 10 spot though, so I doubt the Celtics can muster enough to trade up with just the 21 & 22, especially since we aren't going to trade Bradley.
Yeah - to move into the top 10 they would have to include next year's # 1 or maybe some/all of those 2nd round picks they've been stockpiling. And it looks like if they want Austin they'll have to move into the top 7 as it's been widely speculated that Toronto will grab him at # 8.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Mancini0518

Surprised that there were no trades yet.

Hopefully one of Zeller, Perry Jones, or Terrence Jones falls to the celtics

Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Mountain

Wouldn't mind Sullinger either with those three ^

well i'm happy.

Last edited by Mountain: 06-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
dabid

celtics select jared sullinger & fab melo

Old
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Shaun

atleast there aren't any academics in the NBA so melo can't fail off the team.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Would have like Jones over Sullinger

Old
06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
MioneRask134
Queen in the North

Might get OJ Mayo or Josh Smith too..

Celtics ain't playing.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

These are two great picks with how our big men have dropped like flies last couple years (Wilcox ONeal ONeal) Sully might be the most polished player in the draft. Immediately Sully is an upgrade over Bass and who knows what someone will offer Brandon next week. Melo is an athletic 7 footer and his issues aren't injury related which is all that matters to me. I think people need to realize that next season our season COULD end in February or March if KG gets hurt and someone else is obviously hurt too. If you have a tree like Melo to D up a dominant big man for 20-30 mins a game you can still win in the playoffs no matter what. Fab Melo is a great pick because we are a lot less vulnerable and the season won't end before the playoffs should the worst happen and Sully, KG, and another guy or two are hurt.

By not needing to bring Bass back we can make sure noone steals Jeff Green from us (Green is still the second or third best UFA availibile despite the heart stuff) and be ready to go from the start of the year especially if nothing goes wrong and KG is back.

Wouldn't mind making a trade to snag Will Barton ASAP!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
These are two great picks with how our big men have dropped like flies last couple years (Wilcox ONeal ONeal) Sully might be the most polished player in the draft. Immediately Sully is an upgrade over Bass and who knows what someone will offer Brandon next week. Melo is an athletic 7 footer and his issues aren't injury related which is all that matters to me. I think people need to realize that next season our season COULD end in February or March if KG gets hurt and someone else is obviously hurt too. If you have a tree like Melo to D up a dominant big man for 20-30 mins a game you can still win in the playoffs no matter what. Fab Melo is a great pick because we are a lot less vulnerable and the season won't end before the playoffs should the worst happen and Sully, KG, and another guy or two are hurt.

By not needing to bring Bass back we can make sure noone steals Jeff Green from us (Green is still the second or third best UFA availibile despite the heart stuff) and be ready to go from the start of the year especially if nothing goes wrong and KG is back.

Wouldn't mind making a trade to snag Will Barton ASAP!
Sullinger is not an "immediate" upgrade over Bass. We have yet to even see how his below the rim game translates. That said, I like the pick a lot. There is chatter of a sign and trade with Bass going to Memphis for Mayo. I feel pretty meh about that, but I am holding out for Rondo's ex teammate Josh Smith.

Melo was a pick that needed to be made. We just needed somebody to be able to protect the rim from the Heat.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Might get OJ Mayo or Josh Smith too..

Celtics ain't playing.
This. Of the two, I'd rather have Josh Smith, especially with Jamal Crawford becoming a free agent.

A team with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Smith, Crawford, Melo, and Pierce (or whatever you can get for Pierce) is even deeper than last year's team, only a lot younger.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:30 PM
CDJ

Kris Joseph. Great pick. He'll stick

Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Here's what some sites are saying about our picks.

nbadraft.net
Sullinger: Sullinger’s stock has taken a nose dive since he decided not to declare for last year’s draft, but being drafted by the Celtics could work out for him. He no longer will face the pressure of being “the guy” that would’ve come with being a Top 10 pick. His post skills on the offensive end are elite, it’s just a matter of whether he’ll be able to effectively use them as a below-the-rim player in the NBA. If he can develop a more consistent mid-range jumper he could end up being a valuable piece off the bench as the Celtics make a few more title runs to close out the Pierce/KG era.

Melo: The Celtics, still in need of serious depth on the front line, take the polar opposite of Jared Sullinger at 22 in Fab Melo. He is very limited offensively, but he has the body and athleticism of an NBA center. He can defend and block shots as long as his stamina holds up, and he has plenty of room to grow. On half of the teams in the league, a guy like Fab Melo often turns into a stiff, but with the Celtics and Kevin Garnett helping show him the ropes, he could become another Kendrick Perkins.

Joseph: The best thing about Joseph is the way that he plays within his game. He’s a balanced player who never forces anything. At times his unwillingness to take over was detrimental to Syracuse, but it should aid him in the pros. The Celtics have another solid young bench player who could make an immediate impact if Doc Rivers actually gives him minutes.

cbssports
Sullinger: Take away the medical concerns, and Sullinger is a lottery player. Most had him as a top four pick if he had come out after his freshman year. He's a little undersized, but at 21, the Celtics fill a need and if Sullinger is healthy, get a really terrific college player. High value, high talent and a great fit. Grade: A

Melo: The Celtics had their eye on size in this draft, and they've landed a pretty good amount with their back-to-back picks. I'm sure they would've preferred the versatility of Royce White, but Boston needed desperately to restock on big men. Melo needs a bunch of work to contribute offensively, but he's a big body that can screen, defend and rebound. Maybe their new Kendrick Perkins? Grade: B+

Joseph: I've heard of him! I've heard of him! Another tweener selection for the Celtics. Grade: B-

Last edited by BostonBob: 06-28-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Soderberg

Very happy with our picks.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Mancini0518

Perry Jones' knee must have been in real bad shape. If it wasn't i doubt he gets past the Celtics at 22

Old
06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
N o o d l e s

**** what the sites are saying, if you've seen the picks that the Celtics made play in real time, you should know what to expect. I'm sick of people all over facebook *****ing about what a terrible pick Melo was. I will bet you that 90 percent of them haven't seem him play a damn minute and just wanted Austin Rivers. Melo is a fantastic defensive center which if you've been watching the past 2 years, you should know is one of the main reasons we haven't been serious contenders and were lucky to have played smaller teams to get to the Heat. Melo was one of, if not the best defensive centers in the draft, and with his size and natural ability could even start sooner than later.

Sullinger is absolutely fine. I don't understand how anybody could watch him play and doubt his ability. He is undersized for the position in the NBA, but his strength, size, and the way he uses his body makes him play bigger than he is. Sound familiar? He's exactly like Glen Davis. Only he's a much better rebounder and offensive player. Back injuries are always a concern, but I trust the Celtic doctors over ESPN. He's the kind of pick that drops over a small concern and pays huge dividends to the team that drafts him. It's pretty ridiculous that he dropped from being touted as the potential number 1 pick a year ago to dropping to the C's at 21 this year.

This was not a bad draft at all, idk how anyone can see/say that. In fact, I'd say it's one of Danny's best drafts since he's been here. Size, strength and defense is what is needed on this team, and you couldn't find two better, more equipped players in this draft to fill that specific need.

Joseph in the late second is an added bonus.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
pgm16

I like the picks based on their strengths, Melo especially on the defensive end. Are we forgetting 90 % of time the opposing teams would make their runs when Garnett was off the floor ?

Old
06-29-2012, 04:36 PM
CDJ

Sullinger= Elton Brand offensively IMO. And that is not a bad thing.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Sullinger is not an "immediate" upgrade over Bass. We have yet to even see how his below the rim game translates. That said, I like the pick a lot. There is chatter of a sign and trade with Bass going to Memphis for Mayo. I feel pretty meh about that, but I am holding out for Rondo's ex teammate Josh Smith.

Melo was a pick that needed to be made. We just needed somebody to be able to protect the rim from the Heat.
I respectfully disagree about Sully... I think its fair to call Sully an upgrade just because he was the #1 HS player 2 years ago and despite injuries has been hands down the best offensive post player in college during those years. Other big men aren't even close to Sully in terms of his offense. Just look at a skinny ass Perry Jones and where he went and he plays no D so basically does what Sully does minus physicality.

No big men are as dominant and efficient as Sullinger this kid could be a top 5 pick and he isn't a prospect when it comes to post scoring he is a finished product (the rest of his game needs work of course but that can be taught a lot easier than being great around the rim.)

For what Sullinger does there may not be a better basketball player on earth (name a more offensively refined 6-7 post player... I take him over Dejuan Blair or Craig Smith and I think he can have a better career than Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer assuming he avoids injury...and offensively is probably better than them right now.)

Bass was good at LSU but the year after he left for the draft Davis did the same thing being SEC player of the year and Tyrus Thomas went #2 overall and both were probably better than Brandon the prior year (team made the Final 4.) No guarantees they'd have made it there with Brandon if he was starting over them.

But lets say Nerlins Noel had committed to OSU...you think he'd be as good offensively on the block as Sully was? No chance. Even if he was equally productive he'd be doing it with long range jumpers. All Sully's points are in the paint and dirty. Trust me Jared Sullinger is a bad dude he will give us a lot of easy buckets were going to need against teams like the Heat or Thunder.

I wouldn't be so damn high on Sully if there had been another big man in college the last 5 years capable of getting 20 dirty points a game in the paint...but Anthony Davis couldn't have even done that. Davis's offensive game in the post is significantly inferior to Sullinger's no matter how much better all around Anthony Davis may be.

Sully is probably a better post scorer than Garnett right now thats how good he is at what he does (Im not heaping lofty praise like that on the rest of his game since its just average but you can't underestimate how good he is around the rim right now he aint a prospect in that respect he is a finished product when it comes to scoring from the post.)

Your bang on about Melo, he is perfect for going up against teams with good big men. Let him pick up a couple of the fouls Garnett normally would.

Drafting Fab Melo #22> Paying De Andre Jordan 10+ mil a year.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
kman22

O.j. mayo is now a ufa. In my head, this means that acquiring josh smith and mayo is not out of the question.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Shaun

holy ****

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Celtics to re-sign forward Kevin Garnett to a three-year, $34 million deal, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:42 AM
CDJ

Great move. Nobody deserves it more. Plus, he is the type that will be able to last that long due to him not being much of a banger.

Also saves us roughly $10 mill on him to throw elsewhere.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Soderberg

Thank you KG! I think Ray will be back now too!

Old
06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Shaun

Now we just need Roy Hibert or Dwight

Old
06-30-2012, 01:07 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
holy ****

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Celtics to re-sign forward Kevin Garnett to a three-year, $34 million deal, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
Was that whole quote a typo? I want him back, but 3 years? Very strange, or clever if he retires after this year.

Closed Thread