HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Martin - which teams could be interested?

Old
06-27-2012, 01:04 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moilers View Post
Actually I'd say they have a fair amount in common. They're both good skaters and have decent ability to move the puck but nothing great. They're both average defensively and use their skating/stickwork to play defense. They struggle against bigger/stronger forwards and wouldn't throw a hit if their lives depended on it.
I like them both on the PP too

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:41 AM
hansvall
Rookie User

I dunno if my value is off here but what about sending him over to Ottawa with a pick for sarge, would love to see him back in a pens jersey and i'm sure Malkin would be happy to see it, cap hits are very close

hansvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:35 AM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansvall View Post
I dunno if my value is off here but what about sending him over to Ottawa with a pick for sarge, would love to see him back in a pens jersey and i'm sure Malkin would be happy to see it, cap hits are very close
Extra doube ******* that with his contract..other than that....maybe

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Extra doube ******* that with his contract..other than that....maybe
Well the good thing is that he has 1 year left compared to Martin's 3 years. After next year we have plenty of young players that can come up and take a spot to replace him but having Martin 3 more years isn't going to happen

If Ottawa is willing to give up a 2nd, i'd do it

Gonchar + 2nd or 3rd

for Martin

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansvall View Post
You would be giving up the pick not us. Gonchar makes 500 000 more and is on the decline. Martin isn't that bad of a player just doesn't fit our system

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Oh Sarge back in the Burgh........

Wouldn't Geno love that (although I don't see that happening though)

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
ForzaItalia

Ottawa would never give up picks for Martin. He's a straight salary dump and would be doing the Pens a favour by taking him.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Brunomics

What would the Pens want from the Isles on a deal?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Other than that, I think Ray is stuck with that reject Paul Martin.

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I hope the Pens keep Martin. He's become a scapegoat for what ails the team, but the whole defense was a mess last year. Tighten things up a bit and IMO he has a much better season.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
If the Rangers miss out on Shultz and Suter (no reports linking them just a gut feeling) I could see them being interested in some one to shore up the D.

Id say there is no likely hood these two teams would trade but considering they were in negotiations over Jordan Staal I guess it is possible.

06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Ottawa would never give up picks for Martin. He's a straight salary dump and would be doing the Pens a favour by taking him.
and at this point in his career, Gonchar would be a salary dump. do you remember his last year as a Penguin? he was a pylon in the playoffs, quite literally. he stood around and let forwards pass him through the neutral zone. on top of that, his shot wasn't as strong or accurate as it had been in past years.

the fact that neither side would want, or improve from getting, the other guy in the deal shows that this particular trade wouldn't be doable.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
If the Rangers miss out on Shultz and Suter (no reports linking them just a gut feeling) I could see them being interested in some one to shore up the D.

Id say there is no likely hood these two teams would trade but considering they were in negotiations over Jordan Staal I guess it is possible.
The Rangers are not going to pay a #5 D 5 million dollars, which is what he would be on their depth chart. No chance of that.

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:53 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2287 View Post
The Rangers are not going to pay a #5 D 5 million dollars, which is what he would be on their depth chart. No chance of that.
i'm sure the Pens would gladly take Staal off your hands to make an opening for him...

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
If they make a trade to acquire Ryan or Nash (just pure speculation) You can bet a defenseman is going the other way. That opens up a hole on the top 4.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
If they make a trade to acquire Ryan or Nash (just pure speculation) You can bet a defenseman is going the other way. That opens up a hole on the top 4.
Then they've added 7.8 million in salary so at that point they can't afford to do it. Its doubtful they'd move any of the top 4 for Nash. Definitely not Staal, Girardi or McDonaugh. They have Erixon who will be there next week. They also have Sauer if he is healthy and Anton Stralman. Martin will not be a Ranger. The Rangers need scoring not defence.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
FrankieDevils

Paul Martin is a helluva player, he did wonders for the Devils and you could really see the difference when he went down with an injury the season before he signed with Pittsburgh. That being said, Martin has a weird contract, hes a very solid player but not worth the $5M a year. I would say hes worth in between $3.8-4.2 but Lou made another right move when he signed Anton Volchenkov and Henrik Tallinder for cheaper in the same offseason. Tallinder and Volchenkov for 7M total is worlds better than Martins contract for 5M by himself.

FrankieDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Then they've added 7.8 million in salary so at that point they can't afford to do it. Its doubtful they'd move any of the top 4 for Nash. Definitely not Staal, Girardi or McDonaugh. They have Erixon who will be there next week. They also have Sauer if he is healthy and Anton Stralman. Martin will not be a Ranger. The Rangers need scoring not defence.
Well what about Bobby Ryan? I don't think the Rangers should but what if they made a deal centered around Staal of Ryan? The would only gain about 600k in salary and now have shored up their offense but have a hole in their top 4.

Erixon is not guaranteed to be NHL ready. He didn't look it last time he had a call up. There is a good chance Sauer is done for good, and they only qualified Stralman no guarantee he gets re signed. Even if he does he is a #5/#6 defenseman.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:25 AM
abstrusezincate

Send a message via AIM to abstrusezincate Send a message via Yahoo to abstrusezincate
At the draft, it was reported here in Pittsburgh that the Predators were interested in Martin, though I wonder what the pieces going back would have been.

abstrusezincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Well what about Bobby Ryan? I don't think the Rangers should but what if they made a deal centered around Staal of Ryan? The would only gain about 600k in salary and now have shored up their offense but have a hole in their top 4.

Erixon is not guaranteed to be NHL ready. He didn't look it last time he had a call up. There is a good chance Sauer is done for good, and they only qualified Stralman no guarantee he gets re signed. Even if he does he is a #5/#6 defenseman.
Erixon will be there next year. They traded for him and are not going to send him back down to the AHL and risk losing him back to Sweden. Can't see the Rangers trading Staal for Ryan. If they needed another D they could sign a free agent for less term and dollars than what Martin costs. For what Stralman will probably cost I can't see why they would not bring him back.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Flat Stanley

Rumor has it that Nashville and Tampa Bay are interested. Just a rumor, probably has no credibility as I think it was from TIOPS. But maybe Yzerman is trying to get those type of D man on the Bolts. He drafted Slater Koekkoek 10 overall and TSN had him compared to Paul Martin. Obviously should be better than Martin since he's a 10th overall pick but maybe he wants good skating, puck moving defensemen on the blue line for his team.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
conooper

I honestly see Martin sticking with the Pens. I'll admit, he's not very good. If Shero dumps him great, if not, I'm okay with giving him one year to prove himself, and this may be the year. He knows everyone hates him, so he has something to prove. Plus hypothetically speaking if Suter happens, Martin gets the physical partner he needs to be able to activate and focus on what he does best and its help move the puck. I would accept this pairing any day:

Suter - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Niskanen - Engelland/Despres/Morrow

I'm almost hoping that is how it shakes out. If he gets traded, cool, I'll be just as excited to see what plans the Pens have. Shero has a plan A,B,C... and so on. He's not that bad of a player, just needs to stop being gay or something...

conooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
conooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
What would the Pens want from the Isles on a deal?
Nino for Martin?? It seems so easy to just keep finding wingers for Geno.

conooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:17 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conooper View Post
We're gonna give up a top 5 prospect so a division rival can get more cap flexibility? No. Dont think so.

Here, have Marty Reasoner and like it.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I honestly see Martin sticking with the Pens. I'll admit, he's not very good. If Shero dumps him great, if not, I'm okay with giving him one year to prove himself, and this may be the year.
Quote:
It's a bit inconsistent to say a player is "not very good" and to hope that he gets "dumped", just to turn around and ask another team for a recent top-10 draft selection.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote