HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area & Season Ticket Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
NjDevsRR

vCash: 500
Newark has a blizzard warning until 1pm Saturday. Dont they have to postpone it? Thats pretty serious. 45 plus mph winds with up to a foot of snow.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Newark has a blizzard warning until 1pm Saturday. Dont they have to postpone it? Thats pretty serious. 45 plus mph winds with up to a foot of snow.
Not if the Penguins and the refs get into NJ beforehand, and the Penguins probably left like now, or asap after their game against the Caps.

Aaargh, I hate hate hate this. Why can't the storm be a day earlier or a day later What happened to 1-3 inches only?!

Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Status Quo*

vCash: 50
Wasn't planning on going to the Saturday game but if it snows bad enough, I might make a trek down and cop a $10 ticket seeing as the snow will scare a lot of people away.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Not if the Penguins and the refs get into NJ beforehand, and the Penguins probably left like now, or asap after their game against the Caps.

Aaargh, I hate hate hate this. Why can't the storm be a day earlier or a day later What happened to 1-3 inches only?!
I wonder if they can easily move the game to 7pm? They both play each other the next day at 7:30 so I dont see where the big deal would be unless the Rock has something later that day.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:

What happened to 1-3 inches only?
!
There is little certainty with this storm.

Take the central/west part of Jersey where I grew up as an example. There are some computer models predicting 6" for that area..........and there are some computer models predicting 26" for that area. Just a wee bit of a discrepancy. My best guess is the top half of Jersey gets about 8" to 15". It will be OVER by Saturday morning at 10am though.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
I wonder if they can easily move the game to 7pm? They both play each other the next day at 7:30 so I dont see where the big deal would be unless the Rock has something later that day.
They moved the damn Winter Classic (Pens/Caps) at the last minute because of weather issues from day to night. Of course they were worried about weather conditions affecting the game itself and not about fans' ability to actually GET to the game

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
They moved the damn Winter Classic (Pens/Caps) at the last minute because of weather issues from day to night. Of course they were worried about weather conditions affecting the game itself and not about fans' ability to actually GET to the game
This should be a simple fix in my opinion. Just move it up to a 3pm game to allow the players and fans arrive safely to the game. They both play each other the next day so this circumstance is different but easier to be handled the right way but we all know that wont happen. Its going to be a fun fun train ride from Point Pleasant alllll the way to Newark.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
This should be a simple fix in my opinion. Just move it up to a 3pm game to allow the players and fans arrive safely to the game. They both play each other the next day so this circumstance is different but easier to be handled the right way but we all know that wont happen. Its going to be a fun fun train ride from Point Pleasant alllll the way to Newark.
I don't see why the would not be able to move the starting time to later in the day such as 5 or 6pm.
Nothing scheduled at The Rock Saturday night.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 PM
NjDevs4994
Gate

Why can't they move the game to 7? theres nothing else going on at the rock that night.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevs4994 View Post
Why can't they move the game to 7? theres nothing else going on at the rock that night.
I agree. Send the Devils a note via email,Twitter and Facebook asking that they ask the league to move it to 7pm or at least to 5pm.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Is it the Devils' decision or the league's? Has the league ever pushed back the start time of an indoor game when both teams and refs were in the area, for the benefit of fans?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:42 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I agree. Send the Devils a note via email,Twitter and Facebook asking that they ask the league to move it to 7pm or at least to 5pm.
I sent the Devils a tweet, everyone else should do so as well. You never know. This should be a simple move by the NHL to make everything a little easier.

Quote:
Is it the Devils' decision or the league's? Has the league ever pushed back the start time of an indoor game when both teams and refs were in the area, for the benefit of fans?
It would help the Devils players and staff as well, they have to drive through the mess.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 02-07-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

The NHL didn't care about players or arena staff when there was that big snowstorm two years ago (most likely bigger than this one's going to be) against Toronto and the game got played as scheduled, with Elias and Zajac sleeping in Elias's car after the game cause they were stranded on the highway.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:06 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
The NHL didn't care about players or arena staff when there was that big snowstorm two years ago (most likely bigger than this one's going to be) against Toronto and the game got played as scheduled, with Elias and Zajac sleeping in Elias's car after the game cause they were stranded on the highway.
Ah yes, the famous Rod Pelley pushing cars off the road game. Epic story.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:02 AM
LikeChristmasMorning
The Pride of Newark

Quote:
Had to be more than that.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:15 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
The NHL really doesn't have too much power on things like that. It's up to the home team and officials to use common sense. Of course with the league office 10 miles away you'd like to think they have a good grip of the weather

Old
02-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

If Bettman, Daly and the NHL truly cares about the safety and well being of their players, officials, arena workers and fans, they would think about moving to the game to later in the day tomorrow, preferably to 7pm.
They could ask the Devils to do so with their authority.

It is possible we will see a blizzard and that is usually accompanied by a State of Emergency were roads are basically impassible and NJ Transit could shut down.

Do we really need NHL players sleeping in cars stuck on roadways again?

I recall a few seasons ago a bad winter storm hit the area, MTL was @ NYI.
The MTL players and a few thousand of their fans were in area hotels near the NVMC.

It was surreal as about 3k people showed up and about 2,500 of them were Habs fans.

That game should have been called too as it put the NYI players, arena workers and fans driving to the game in a hazardous situation.

It also stripped the Islanders of any home ice advantage in the crowd which was unfair.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

I think peeps are way overreacting here. This storm will be over by 10am, and road crews will have been out literally all night long. Weather happens, life moves on.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I think peeps are way overreacting here. This storm will be over by 10am, and road crews will have been out literally all night long. Weather happens, life moves on.
Seriously. It's snow. It's hockey. They get HUGE amounts of snow in other places and cope with it. If some fans can't make it, they'll call and complain to the Devils and get something. The rest is trivial...

If people are actually concerned about the safety of the players and staff, you shouldn't be. They're big boys and girls, if they felt unsafe they'd push the team/league to make changes.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
One7nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Exactly

Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
zap14

I'm driving in from New York so hopefully they delay the start time although I have zero percent faith they will.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

I am only agreeing with pushing back the start time so I can go! lol

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
SirBrad

Hey neighbors...<insert obligatory statement about a Pens fan coming here in peace)

Pens supposedly flew in this morning. I think they should push the game to 7 PM tomorrow, I have tickets of course, but the concern could be catching a flight to Pittsburgh for Sunday's game. Something about both teams chartered flights, I didn't catch the details. I'm all for them pushing the game back and playing both games in Newark this weekend. Everyone be safe traveling.

I know for sure I am not driving from Monmouth County to Newark tomorrow morning if there is a foot of snow on the ground. I think at the minimum they should push thr game back a couple of hours. Just because it's done snowing at 9 or 10 AM doesn't mean the roads are going to be magically clear of snow.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Hey neighbors...<insert obligatory statement about a Pens fan coming here in peace)

Pens supposedly flew in this morning. I think they should push the game to 7 PM tomorrow, I have tickets of course, but the concern could be catching a flight to Pittsburgh for Sunday's game. Something about both teams chartered flights, I didn't catch the details. I'm all for them pushing the game back and playing both games in Newark this weekend. Everyone be safe traveling.

I know for sure I am not driving from Monmouth County to Newark tomorrow morning if there is a foot of snow on the ground.
You would think this would be an easy solution for the league right? I am not holding my breathe.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post
Had to be more than that.
Ehhh.... really don't think 14,800 is selling it too short. If the number was any higher than just above 15,000 I would think it was being overstated. It wasn't that packed in all honesty. Not 12,000 people level emptiness, but that number is pretty accurate for what was the actual attendance.

Quote:
If Bettman, Daly and the NHL truly cares about the safety and well being of their players, officials, arena workers and fans, they would think about moving to the game to later in the day tomorrow, preferably to 7pm.
They could ask the Devils to do so with their authority.

It is possible we will see a blizzard and that is usually accompanied by a State of Emergency were roads are basically impassible and NJ Transit could shut down.

Do we really need NHL players sleeping in cars stuck on roadways again?

I recall a few seasons ago a bad winter storm hit the area, MTL was @ NYI.
The MTL players and a few thousand of their fans were in area hotels near the NVMC.

It was surreal as about 3k people showed up and about 2,500 of them were Habs fans.

That game should have been called too as it put the NYI players, arena workers and fans driving to the game in a hazardous situation.

It also stripped the Islanders of any home ice advantage in the crowd which was unfair.
You're overreacting. The snow will be done a couple of hours BEFORE the game. Players won't get stuck in cars on the way home unless they feel like driving in the shoulder of the highways for the entire trip home.

The home ice advantage thing is crap and doesn't work. Teams that can't sell tickets and get 8,000 people a game have no home ice advantage either. Same idea of fans not showing up. Only thing that varies is the reason. Can't pick and choose which ones deserve some kind of award or should be viewed differently. Fans don't have to attend games under any circumstances. Purely up to them whether they want to.

And this storm isn't some freak storm dumping 2-3 inches of snow or more every hour. In a situation like that, yeah, roads and transportation is all but impossible. Even if teams could get there, its unsafe to even attempt it. But in this case, snow fall isn't at such a rate to say you CAN'T travel. Its all a matter of how well municipalities stay on top of the storm with plowing and taking care of the roads. For the majority of people attempting to get to the game, their biggest challenge in all likelihood will be getting out of their driveway and the first couple of local roads they would drive on. That's it. Highways likely will not be an issue, albeit slower due to fewer lanes most likely being open.

It's not going to be a big deal. Believe it or not... snow is not uncommon in this region. Act like you've seen it before.

Closed Thread