HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area & Season Ticket Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Hey neighbors...<insert obligatory statement about a Pens fan coming here in peace)

Pens supposedly flew in this morning. I think they should push the game to 7 PM tomorrow, I have tickets of course, but the concern could be catching a flight to Pittsburgh for Sunday's game. Something about both teams chartered flights, I didn't catch the details. I'm all for them pushing the game back and playing both games in Newark this weekend. Everyone be safe traveling.

I know for sure I am not driving from Monmouth County to Newark tomorrow morning if there is a foot of snow on the ground. I think at the minimum they should push thr game back a couple of hours. Just because it's done snowing at 9 or 10 AM doesn't mean the roads are going to be magically clear of snow.
There's no concern flying after the game. The storm is done by then.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Summer07Devils

The Penguins Landed about 45 minutes ago. And yes this is them I work in the Air Traffic Industry so I know who charters who.

Here's my confirmation...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...545Z/KPIT/KEWR

Old
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Damn, that pilot was drunk

Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Summer07Devils

When flying into EWR from PIT your routed that way, it's like highway's in the sky.

Go Devils I've got tickets tomorrow and hopefully they give free tickets to another game in Feb. get the double value!

Old
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Ehhh.... really don't think 14,800 is selling it too short. If the number was any higher than just above 15,000 I would think it was being overstated. It wasn't that packed in all honesty. Not 12,000 people level emptiness, but that number is pretty accurate for what was the actual attendance.
It really did not look like there were 2,800 empties last night, but I could be wrong. However, there was no more than 1,000 seats on the TM map a few hours before the game. I don't think they hold back seats to make it look less bad on the map. It seems they sold a lot more than the number announced - people on here speculated that they under-reported several games last season as well to make up for some papered sellouts.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Ehhh.... really don't think 14,800 is selling it too short. If the number was any higher than just above 15,000 I would think it was being overstated. It wasn't that packed in all honesty. Not 12,000 people level emptiness, but that number is pretty accurate for what was the actual attendance.

You're overreacting. The snow will be done a couple of hours BEFORE the game. Players won't get stuck in cars on the way home unless they feel like driving in the shoulder of the highways for the entire trip home.

The home ice advantage thing is crap and doesn't work. Teams that can't sell tickets and get 8,000 people a game have no home ice advantage either. Same idea of fans not showing up. Only thing that varies is the reason. Can't pick and choose which ones deserve some kind of award or should be viewed differently. Fans don't have to attend games under any circumstances. Purely up to them whether they want to.

And this storm isn't some freak storm dumping 2-3 inches of snow or more every hour. In a situation like that, yeah, roads and transportation is all but impossible. Even if teams could get there, its unsafe to even attempt it. But in this case, snow fall isn't at such a rate to say you CAN'T travel. Its all a matter of how well municipalities stay on top of the storm with plowing and taking care of the roads. For the majority of people attempting to get to the game, their biggest challenge in all likelihood will be getting out of their driveway and the first couple of local roads they would drive on. That's it. Highways likely will not be an issue, albeit slower due to fewer lanes most likely being open.

It's not going to be a big deal. Believe it or not... snow is not uncommon in this region. Act like you've seen it before.
What is so wrong of moving the game to 7pm?

I know the league is a business but can they try to be a little more fan friendly?
For crying out loud we just got over yet another lockout.

Delaying the game a few hours so fans who bought tickets and desparately want to attend the game and support their team have a chance at a safer commute to Newark.

I don't understand the "it's snow, deal with it/be a man or don't go to the game" mantra.

I'm not saying cancel every game at the sign of a snowflake but if a blizzard is supposed to end around 10-11am there is no way the roadways will be in good condition up til gametime.
How about some good customer service by the league to tell fans we'll give you a few more hours to shovel out and feel comfortable about the roads before packing up the family car and going to the game?

If not, oh well, so be it and the game will be played at it's scheduled start time and I guess that will make some people happy here.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

I know the league is a business but can they try to be a little more fan friendly?

Delaying the game a few hours so fans who bought tickets and desparately want to attend the game and support their team have a chance at a safer commute to Newark.

I don't understand the "it's snow, deal with it/be a man or don't go to the game" mantra.

I'm not saying cancel every game at the sign of a snowflake but if a blizzard is supposed to end around 10-11am there is no way the roadways will be in good condition up til gametime.
How about some good customer service by the league to tell fans we'll give you a few more hours to shovel out and feel comfortable about the roads before packing up the family car and going to the game?

If not, oh well, so be it and the game will be played at it's scheduled start time and I guess that will make some people happy here.
This. I really don't understand why they can't move the time either. Sure would be nice..like you said, it's not just a snowflake. Yes it snows here a lot, but nearly a foot of snow doesn't happen every day.

For Newark, National Weather Serivce is saying 3-5" daytime accumulation. 5-9" tonight and maybe an additional inch in the AM. 8-15" of snow isn't going to be cleared off the roadways by 11 AM Saturday morning. Sometimes it snows 4" overnight and roads are a mess all morning.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Damn, that pilot was drunk
Makes it more exciting. Glad he put on a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
It really did not look like there were 2,800 empties last night, but I could be wrong. However, there was no more than 1,000 seats on the TM map a few hours before the game. I don't think they hold back seats to make it look less bad on the map. It seems they sold a lot more than the number announced - people on here speculated that they under-reported several games last season as well to make up for some papered sellouts.
In this case, they may have reported the actual amount in the building more so than tickets sold? I was sitting lower bowl on the side with the penalty boxes, so I can't assess the sections in the 100s/200s on that side of the ice since I couldn't see them from my seat. Looking across the ice though, I saw some chunks of empties though. Large enough chunks to say that they were those of unsold seats (likely held from groups or holds that just weren't resold after they were released). It wasn't a massive amount, but it was noticeable enough to say it wasn't a sell out. That's judging from one side of the arena. I would assume it was similar on the other side. Anything from the 14,800 announced to 15,500 is believable in my eyes though. Definitely wasn't pushing 17,000 or anything like that. Not saying it was a bad crowd, but it wasn't what we've seen for all of the other games this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post

Honestly? Its because its not about the fans. Its about the teams and the officials. They're playing tomorrow in Newark, traveling to Pittsburgh that day/night, and playing the following night. The NHL put the schedule that way with the time frames they did for their reasons (TV, travel accommodations, leaving appropriate rest time for the teams, enough turn around time for facilities, etc). If all of the involved parties can play at 1 PM, there is no reason to change things and compromise that schedule.

I'm not saying man up, drive in the snow, and get to the game. I'm saying that the impact this storm will have on the fan's ability to get to the game is overstated. As I said before, the biggest issue in getting to the game will be the first 2 miles from your house. Municipalities and the state should be staying on top of road maintenance (and everything you see out there says that they are, both in pre-treating roads and in having crews on hand to handle things throughout the storm). Highways WILL be clear and open before the game. Main roads should be as well. If they're not, its because the given municipalities were not prepared.

Again, I'm not saying this storm is a non-factor. It will have varying impacts in various places. But if it doesn't impact the teams or the officials, it doesn't impact the start time. Honestly, the NHL doesn't care if they're playing in front of 5,000. **** happens. They can't start changing games for every little instance that isn't of extreme and unusual consequences (such as major national/global/political/social disasters or events that extend way beyond 'sports'). You do that now, where does the line get drawn? How often are games in Canada, Minnesota, or even up in Boston or Detroit moved for snow? I bet some of those NHL cities get far more snow than we do in the vicinity of games and they do just fine. It sucks as a fan if you have tickets, want to go, and can't make it. But it happens. That's not the league's concern and its not something they're able to just change on a whim for every little instance.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
leftwing

It's an NHL game, not a dinner reservation. Drop the puck.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=651845

Old
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
It's an NHL game, not a dinner reservation. Drop the puck.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=651845
That game gets so romanticized, but heaven forbid people died getting to the game, it wouldn't be talked about anymore - or it would be for a darker reason. Because nobody did, it's a cute little story and the Devils did right by the people who were there, but risking life and limb to go to one hockey game out of forty-one in the regular season is going above and beyond being a fan. That's being a bit reckless imo.

Plus I'm sure there were other people that 'tried' to get to the game and literally could not for one reason or another. I don't think they're any less of a fan (or any less reckless) than the 334 that were there.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That game gets so romanticized, but heaven forbid people died getting to the game, it wouldn't be talked about anymore - or it would be for a darker reason. Because nobody did, it's a cute little story and the Devils did right by the people who were there, but risking life and limb to go to one hockey game out of forty-one in the regular season is going above and beyond being a fan. That's being reckless imo.
If one feels they are risking life and limb then one should not attend.

If one feels they can travel safely then one should go.

That model seems to work.

For more than hockey btw.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer07Devils View Post
The Penguins Landed about 45 minutes ago. And yes this is them I work in the Air Traffic Industry so I know who charters who.

Pretty neat. The flight log matches their calendar.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Bruins did it (ya I know its worst for them but just saying).........

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bruins-...4134--nhl.html

Old
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post

Nice job by them, very fan friendly.

And both TB and Bos play Sunday night too.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
leftwing

Quote:

My son just mentioned that to me and asked if the Devs would be pushed back.

Hope not, after giving up my STs earlier this year I just bought four lowers. I'm tied up tomorrow night already.

That's what I don't like about this. In addition to looking at your calendar for games now you have to try to figure out what, if anything, a team will do based on the NWS.

I didn't buy NFL-type variable start time tickets. I bought 1pm starts.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
My son just mentioned that to me and asked if the Devs would be pushed back.

Hope not, after giving up my STs earlier this year I just bought four lowers. I'm tied up tomorrow night already.

That's what I don't like about this. In addition to looking at your calendar for games now you have to try to figure out what, if anything, a team will do based on the NWS.

I didn't buy NFL-type variable start time tickets. I bought 1pm starts.
Well I will gladly sit in your seats for you. lol

Old
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
BCdevil

Quote:

Mind posting the flightaware link for the Devils charter?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
leftwing

Quote:
Well I will gladly sit in your seats for you. lol
Haha, if they actually do push it back I may throw them on here.

It's not a big deal, has the potential to happen once, maybe twice, a year. It just offends my germanic sense of order.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
When flying into EWR from PIT your routed that way, it's like highway's in the sky.
Eh, you sure about that?

Because if you notice the radar superimposed on that map has the route perfectly avoiding the snow shield the entire way from PA to NJ. Seems to me they were avoiding the (very) rough weather.

Quote:
If one feels they are risking life and limb then one should not attend.

If one feels they can travel safely then one should go.

That model seems to work.
Accepting personal responsibility in America is sadly a thing of the past. Everyone now expects someone else to "protect" them from themselves.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Summer07Devils

Positive take a look at other flights from PIT to EWR most planes "not all" when coming from the west follow the NY/PA State Line in it's how they line them up properly in order to sync the South and North Arrivals. Now with winds and everything else it can change from time to time but that's how they shape up.

No Precip Ex: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/T...238Z/KPIT/KEWR

I mean if you guys wanted them to fly over philly and have a little "problem" with the plane running into a little trouble that's all fine by me!

Haha Go Devils!

By the way just saw NJT Suspended Bus Service and Rail Service on 3 lines.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

NJ Transit Morris & Essex & Boonton/Montclair train lines suspended through tomorrow.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

The snow looks like it's actually going to be worse than predicted, it's been snowing pretty steady in Morris County since before I woke up, other than a couple hours of sleet in the late morning.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Might be a little dicey getting to the game tomorrow. I was gonna take NJT if the weather was still bad, but that may not be an option. I'll play it by ear I guess.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Scott04

Quote:
The snow looks like it's actually going to be worse than predicted, it's been snowing pretty steady in Morris County since before I woke up, other than a couple hours of sleet in the late morning.
Guess its a 'wait and see' for what should be the heavy stuff beginning in the next hour or two. I'm in Essex, but just over the border from Morris, so I assume I've had essentially the same stuff. Definitely been steady, but no crazy accumulation yet. If it gets heavier though... well this could be fun then.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Positive take a look at other flights from PIT to EWR most planes "not all" when coming from the west follow the NY/PA State Line in it's how they line them up properly in order to sync the South and North Arrivals.
Cool. It was just a coincidence then that it matched up so well today.

Quote:
Really depends where you are. For instance, it appears at the moment that nePA and nwNJ will be in a "screwed zone" where they get less snow than anyone around them. Then there are parts of Long Island where there is thundersnow and reports of a small band dropping the equivalent of what would be well over FOUR INCHES PER HOUR.

Closed Thread