HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Kristo ever play for the Habs?

Old
09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Will Kristo ever play for the Habs?

In my opinion, Danny Kristo is going be another draft failure and will never make the big club, it's been almost four years since he was drafted and we have yet to see him play one shift in the NHL, or even in Hamilton for that matter.

Will Danny Kristo every play for the Canadiens???

Discuss!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Aarex

Management said specifically that they like to target US college kids because it gives them more time to work with before being forced to have them signed.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Gustave

Great thread.

Let's bash for the sake of bashing.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
Management said specifically that they like to target US college kids because it gives them more time to work with before being forced to have them signed.
Either that, or trade them for a bum in New York and watch the prospect turn into a top four defenseman for a playoff team.

Note: See McDonagh trade for Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Great thread.

Let's bash for the sake of bashing.
I am not bashing, simply stating the obvious and what's happening in front of our eyes, it's been almost four years since he was drafted, right now, he should be a regular NHL'er.

Think of this as a top nine this season:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Kristo

Last edited by Mike8: 09-08-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: merge
Old
09-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am not bashing, simply stating the obvious and what's happening in front of our eyes, it's been almost 4 years since he was drafted, right now, he should be a regular NHL'er.

Think of this as a top nine this season:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Kristo
Alright, but instead in a year or 2, you might see this on the first line instead :

Cammaleri - Plekanec - Kristo

It's not like he is not progressing. Maybe not as fast as YOU would want, but if in the end, he becomes a first line forward, I am willing to skip the couple of years he would of spent on our 3rd/4th line.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Either that, or trade them for a bum in New York and watch the prospect turn into a top four defenseman for a playoff team.

McDonagh spent 3 years in the NCAA, and people were whining how he wasn't developing as much as expected giving his draft rank. Obviously that didn't mean anything and look, he's now in the NHL.

Now Kristo spent 2 years (and is about to spent third) in college, and he's going to be a draft failure?

Even if your mindless bashing you manage to fail.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Mike8

How has it been almost four years? He was drafted in 2008. It's currently just past summer 2011. It's been 3 years and 2-3 months.

He's 21 years old and a NCAA prospect. The fact that he hasn't even played in Hamilton yet is the norm: he hasn't turned pro!

To think that he should be a regular NHLer is absurd. Only bluechip prospects become regular NHLers this quickly after their draft year.

Outside of the 2008 first round, there are only two regular NHLers (Hamonic and Stepan, both drafted ahead of Kristo), as well as Matt Martin patrolling the 4th line on the Isles. Oh, and Jason Demers doesn't count in this since he was drafted as an overager (20). In other words: prospects drafted beyond the 1st round (i.e., projects) take time. To expect them to become regulars by 21 is absurd.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
BLONG7

Too soon to call him a draft failure, have any of you guys ever seen him play a game in the NCAA? Just curious...

Let's be patient here...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
WestIslander

Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
How has it been almost four years? He was drafted in 2008. It's currently just past summer 2011. It's been 3 years and 2-3 months.

I said ''almost''

He's 21 years old and a NCAA prospect. The fact that he hasn't even played in Hamilton yet is the norm: he hasn't turned pro!

Subban, Pacioretty and Eller were drafted a year before him and are all going on to there third season in the NHL (not full season)

To think that he should be a regular NHLer is absurd. Only bluechip prospects become regular NHLers this quickly after their draft year.

See other players drafted in 2007, 2008 and 2009 who are all in the NHL already

Outside of the 2008 first round, there are only two regular NHLers (Hamonic and Stepan, both drafted ahead of Kristo), as well as Matt Martin patrolling the 4th line on the Isles. Oh, and Jason Demers doesn't count in this since he was drafted as an overager (20). In other words: prospects drafted beyond the 1st round (i.e., projects) take time. To expect them to become regulars by 21 is absurd.

Agree!

Old
09-08-2011, 10:58 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Okay...
How is 3 years and 2 months 'almost' 4 years? Hyperbole to help your argument.

Subban, patches and eller are all superb first round talents (subban was a gem) who went the junior hockey route or fast tracked their careers playing in a foreign league like Eller.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2008e.html

That list after kristo doesn't have many NHL players, does it?

Last edited by overlords: 09-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Well why would you mind that considering you don't think Kristo will play in the NHL?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Prospects and development is incredibly unpredictable. One year, you are your team's top prospect, the next, you are an afterthought.

Who knows what happens. Maybe Kristo will dominate his league this year, become extremely hyped, move on to the AHL, put amazing numbers, get a call-up and stick to the NHL.

Or maybe he'll hurt himself this year, and slowly disappear in the system.

My opinion? He's a smart, talented player that fits our system. I think he'll make it.

And btw -- 2/3 months is not almost a year!

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Protest the Hero

He's still on the development path, had a tough year last year but hasn't regressed. In a perfect world he would've had an excellent year last year and would be suiting up for the Dogs this year, but things happen.

That said, I think he's the most likely prospect to be traded. Avtsin and Gallagher have likely passed him on the RW depth chart, and I think he's still got a big enough profile from the WJHC to be a candidate to trade. I'm not saying he's going to be traded, only that I feel like he's the most likely.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
neofury*

This coming from the guy who makes lineups that have only 1-2 current roster players and a bunch of prospects on them and says "3-4 years down the road"???? Sorry that really made me laugh irl though. If you follow prospects this closely I'd figure you'd realize NCAA prospects take more time. He was never expected to be a guy who would make the NHL right away, more of a time will tell type guy. Not nearly enough time has passed to justify claiming anything yet. If he isn't in the AHL after this season I will be a bit more concerned but right now he's alright.

Kristo is 2 years younger than patches and patches just finally made the jump this year.

Quote:
Okay...
Subban is a grand slam homerun like Getzlaf etc. Guy who was picked late who made it.

Pacioretty and Eller are both first rounders....

Just because Subban developed fast and two first round picks have doesn't make it the rule, they are the exception to the other 180 players drafted after the 1st round. Subban had extremely questionable defensive skills and then turned that around surprisingly at every level he's played. It's something that was hard to predict, imo TT hit a grand slam homerun with Subban.

You can't possibly be comparing the two

Last edited by Mike8: 09-08-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: merge
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Bieber fever

I would not call him draft failure but he has not progressed last year....another year like that and I think he will never be the NHL

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
I would not call him draft failure but he has not progressed last year....another year like that and I think he will never be the NHL
He wasn't lucky last year with the injury that kept him away for a while. I hope he bounces back cause from what I saw at the world juniors he can definitely play and was used a lot by the US coaches.

I wouldn't call him a bust, having been picked late in the 2nd round what do people really expect?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He wasn't lucky last year with the injury that kept him away for a while. I hope he bounces back cause from what I saw at the world juniors he can definitely play and was used a lot by the US coaches.

I wouldn't call him a bust, having been picked late in the 2nd round what do people really expect?
Exactly. And also don't quote me because I'm not 100% sure on this but I remember hearing he actually played damn well for the 2nd half of the year once he came back. If that isn't at least some form of progression coming back from injury and turning it up a notch... then I really don't know what is.

Let the guy actually play a game or two in the AHL before assuming he's a bust, and no doubt in my mind he makes it to the AHL.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
In my opinion, Danny Kristo is going be another draft failure and will never make the big club, it's been almost four years since he was drafted and we have yet to see him play one shift in the NHL, or even in Hamilton for that matter.

Discuss!
Thats poor reasoning.. Some kids take longer to make it to the NHL, just ask the wings org. about players development.. I dont know if Kristo will ever play in the NHL but one thing is for sure the kid has skills and is developing his 2-way game.. Lets see how it works this year, I think he will bounce back and will play for the Dogs next year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Discuss!
Most picks require 5-7 years before being NHL regulars. Kristo probably needs a year NCAA and a year AHL then should be knocking on the door for an NHL job.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Most picks require 5-7 years before being NHL regulars. Kristo probably needs a year NCAA and a year AHL then should be knocking on the door for an NHL job.
Exactly and he fits in this team, very good skater and solid checker who can chip in offensively, Habs love those type of players. If Martin is still coaching this team in 2-3 years, this kid is going to see a lot of ice time!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
...as with Fischer....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
How many games did you see him last year? Cause he has clearly progressed if you have watched him from his USHL days through his two years in the NCAA.

Kristo had a brutal 1st half and in the 2nd half he was one of their best players, especially in the playoffs where he may have been their best player.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How many games did you see him last year? Cause he has clearly progressed if you have watched him from his USHL days through his two years in the NCAA.

Kristo had a brutal 1st half and in the 2nd half he was one of their best players, especially in the playoffs where he may have been their best player.
Since when does actually watching a prospect matter when projecting busts. I say the same for Leblanc, he's not on our top two lines yet, what a bust.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

No, Matt Frattin was the best player and by a longshot.

LOL no he's not a bust.. yet. To be fair, I haven't seen this 2-way game he's been boasting about/his coaches talk about, but if it's true, then he's solidifying his chances of fitting into the 3rd line W role that involves scoring and back-checking. UND is a great team for him. It's his chance now to dominate because there's no one to steal his thunder.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
shutehinside

I think every draft pick is a failure until theyre not. It's on them to prove me wrong and make the NHL. This is the same for 99% of all drafted players. Fortunately for them, no drafted player is a failure until they retire or turn 30 without having made it to the NHL. Until that time, they still have time to redeem themselves.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote