HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 16 : One week left!

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 01:17 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
One kid that is way too underrated from the Q is William Carrier. Had a terrific 2nd season and has played in the Q before Grégoire and Drouin.
Yup he had good numbers on a really bad team. Don't forget that he's older than Grégoire and Drouin though, and that weighs in the balance. Not to mention that Grégoire had to play behind Sedlak and Lebel to begin the year.

Carrier's on my radar though, don't worry

Old
06-11-2012, 01:21 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforcerWeNeed View Post
You're a good ole' Sherbrooke guy huh? I am too. I played with Jeremy Grégoire a few years back.
Well I'm from Fleurimont first

But yeah the kid's gonna be a Pro, I have zero doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I keep reading comparisons between Murray and Niedermeyer, but I don't know, a lot of names are thrown out, and one that I didn't see so far, is Duncan Keith... I think that if he develops properly, he could be exactly that kind of player. Elite 2-way D, not so much an offensive D...
I don't see the same puck carrying ability with Ryan Murray. And I don't see that ceiling either with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Once again, back when we picked Price, we already had José Théodore and Halak and Huet in the system. Maybe we think that we are stacked with defenseman: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, etc. Who knows, maybe Ryan Murray could turn out a generational defenseman or simply our franchise defensemen. He's much more complete than PK at the same age that's for sure.
Difference being that Théodore and Huet were professionnals back then. As a future we only really had Halak a 9th round pick who lost early in the playoffs in the 'Q and who had 13 AHL games under his belt. Right now we have more than enough D's coming up the pipe, and talented ones at that. We drafted 5 D's with our 7 picks last year.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 06-11-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old
06-11-2012, 07:47 AM
33Roy33

Quote:
Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94

Montreal for a day .
Hopefully we see this guy in Montreal for longer then a day after June 22nd!!

Old
06-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
I know that he's ranking pretty high, but I know like nothing about Murray. Some say that he's not flashy at all, not a big offensive guy. I'm just wondering... why is he ranked so high if he's like a Josh Gorges with maybe 30-40 pts potential?

Why guys like Dumba or Rielly who can become flashy superstars aren't ranked higher?

Note: I am NOT hating on Murray, since I do not know him, just waiting for someone to talk more about him so I can understand all the hype.
You get the feeling that since he's the most "NHL-ready" of the lot, that somehow he'll progress into something special by the time he'll actually make the jump

But I totally agree. I keep hearing qualities like "skating" and "vision", but nothing that would make him stand out as elite in any aspect of the game. Drafting him at #3 would be the biggest let-down for me at this point

Like you said, if the Habs are dead-set on drafting a defenceman, trade down and grab someone that truly excels in one or more facets (like Dumba or Rielly). And if THIS happens, you have to start asking yourself if we really can't have too much of a good thing...

Old
06-11-2012, 08:15 AM
S Bah

If the comparisons made between Ryan Murray and Scott Niedermayer are close to true, then the Habs would be very fortunate.Having a choice between Forsberg-Murray-Teravainen becomes an envious position for the rest of the GM's in the league.The 2012 draft is looking pretty good for Bergevin & Timmins,add the two 2nd round picks and early 3rd and the Habs could draft 4 future NHLers.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

I know I have said it before but if The Habs are dead set on TT or one of the d-men (not Murray) I hope they trade down and get another asset or two.....

Old
06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If the comparisons made between Ryan Murray and Scott Niedermayer are close to true, then the Habs would be very fortunate.Having a choice between Forsberg-Murray-Teravainen becomes an envious position for the rest of the GM's in the league.The 2012 draft is looking pretty good for Bergevin & Timmins,add the two 2nd round picks and early 3rd and the Habs could draft 4 future NHLers.
and damn good ones at that. We could still end up with a 2nd liner or 2nd pairing by our 3rd rd pick.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:36 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I see NOTHING of Scott Niedermayer in Murray's game. He isn't nearly as good of a skater, nor does he have that world beater attitude to go end to end with the puck. Hes a solid puck mover, but hes not imaginative.

Gally in Montreal makes me excited!!

Old
06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Schooner Guy

If our scouts think Murray is a 25-minute per game number one pairing Dman and think the forwards (other than Yakupov) are more suited for the second line, you rank Murray ahead of them. Now if our scouts think one or more of these forwards will become 1st liners, that changes everything. But you can't pass up a possible impact player for a 2nd line player if those are the options.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:22 AM
habshound247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
If our scouts think Murray is a 25-minute per game number one pairing Dman and think the forwards (other than Yakupov) are more suited for the second line, you rank Murray ahead of them. Now if our scouts think one or more of these forwards will become 1st liners, that changes everything. But you can't pass up a possible impact player for a 2nd line player if those are the options.
+1
BPA always

Old
06-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Bob in Niagara

When we drafted Ryan McDonaugh...they said the same things about him...did not excel in any one area...but was very good at everything...perhaps Murray is like that

Old
06-11-2012, 09:39 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I see NOTHING of Scott Niedermayer in Murray's game. He isn't nearly as good of a skater, nor does he have that world beater attitude to go end to end with the puck. Hes a solid puck mover, but hes not imaginative.

Gally in Montreal makes me excited!!
Dont The Habs already have a version of Gally though? A 2 way center that can put up 65-70 points? does pleks ring any bells???

If you want a big center who can really be something we dont have, you have to go with Grigs IMO.

My current wish list
Murray
Grigs
Forsberg

Old
06-11-2012, 09:42 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Dont The Habs already have a version of Gally though? A 2 way center that can put up 65-70 points? does pleks ring any bells???

If you want a big center who can really be something we dont have, you have to go with Grigs IMO.

My current wish list
Murray
Grigs
Forsberg
I actually never thought of it in those terms. Interesting.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
When we drafted Ryan McDonaugh...they said the same things about him...did not excel in any one area...but was very good at everything...perhaps Murray is like that
Yeah but it's a risk you can live with at #12...at #3, it's a bit harder to swallow.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
WestIslander

Murray is an all around defenseman, if we draft him I think we might have one of the best defence cores in the league one day in the near future:

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Murray
Beaulieu - Emelin
Ellis

If we draft Galchenyuk, I can see:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher as our top line one day!

If we draft Forsberg or Yakupov, I can see:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Yakupov/Forsberg one day!

The bottom line is that we have a very good chance to draft a franchise player in less than two weeks so let's wait and see what happens.

My pick is Murray or Galchenyuk ;-)

Old
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah but it's a risk you can live with at #12...at #3, it's a bit harder to swallow.
I'd take Mcdonaugh at 3.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
SOLR

Quote:

My current wish list
Murray
Grigs
Forsberg
Pleks and Gally are not comparable players(at all.)

Old
06-11-2012, 09:56 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Pleks and Gally are not comparable players(at all.)
how are they not comparable??

Gally is alittle bigger but IMO they are very compareable players. Both are best fit for the 2nd center role, Which we have already. in fact we have 3-4 guys that are best fit for the 2nd center role.

If you are really looking for a 6`4 230lbs monster of a center, IMO you take Grigo and hope he matures into Malkin lite.....

Last edited by IceDaddy: 06-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
06-11-2012, 10:25 AM
SOLR

Quote:

Gally is alittle bigger but IMO they are very compareable players. Both are best fit for the 2nd center role, Which we have already. in fact we have 3-4 guys that are best fit for the 2nd center role.

If you are really looking for a 6`4 230lbs monster of a center, IMO you take Grigo and hope he matures into Malkin lite.....
Are Hossa and Pleks comparable?

1) You assume that Gally is a 2nd center: why? He's 18 and he's one of the guys that have the potential to be a first line center.

2) Gally is big, in fact he might be bigger than Grigs. By big I mean, being willing to go in traffic and play with size. Plus he's already 6'2'', no offense to Pleks, but this is a very different size & physical impact. Eller and Leblanc never really showed the level of offensive upside Gally did.

We don't have a "guy like gally", we just don't. Please stop. It's not about being high on him, there's really no one in our organization that plays like him.

3) It's not because we have X Y Z that we shouldn't draft A because we think he's the best player. Pick the best player, no matter how or what position he plays.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:

The main reason I am so tantalized by Grigs, is the thought of Timmins getting ahold of him, and getting the kid in the gym.

I for one get the sense that Grigs is as good as he is despite the fact he's never lifted a weight in his life. By all accounts he's a good kid who wants to be great, so I don't see why Timmins wouldn't be able to get him to be the explosive and strong monster he's capable of being...

Old
06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I actually never thought of it in those terms. Interesting.
Gally as nothing in common with Plecks....nothing. Plecks wishes to have half of Gally's offensive abilities...

FYI, many people see Gally's offensive side as strong as Grigo...

Old
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
rockjngo

I don't think Galchenyuk is a 2nd liner. He's got good size 6'1, 200lbs, and great hands. Kinda reminds me a bit of Jonathan Toews.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Et le But

Galchenyuk was compared to Hossa in his first year. Real 2nd line ceiling there.

He reminds me of Toews in that people dismiss his offensive skill because he plays a 2 way game.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:

How do you see Gally has a second line C? He's one of the top offensive players in the draft, and could be making a case for first overall if it wasn't for last seasons injury.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

So were back to Grigorenko now?

Closed Thread