HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 16 : One week left!

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
I have a feeling that this draft will be 2003 part 2 depth wise.

Edit: If we draft Jankowski, it'd be awesome if his dad could stand in the podium and announce it.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Interesting tidbit, one of our scouts Ryan Jankowski is related to Mark Jankowski.

I also think we have a new scout, Alvin Backus for BCJHL.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52816
backus was with us last year. He was only added to the website today for whatever reason.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
backus was with us last year. He was only added to the website today for whatever reason.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's a Bergevin move.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

As I made my list in order, I have no idea to this day how people have Gaunce in their top 20. There might be riskier players out there but the ceiling for some is so much higher than him. Gaunce is definatley a 1st round....but I might have him at 25.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:58 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As I made my list in order, I have no idea to this day how people have Gaunce in their top 20. There might be riskier players out there but the ceiling for some is so much higher than him. Gaunce is definatley a 1st round....but I might have him at 25.
I was never really impressed with Gaunce when I watched him, but what I like about him is

-Great size already at nearly 6'2" and 207lbs
-fantastic athleticism as shown at the NHL combine where he finished top 10 in 11 categories.
-the skills to be taken #2 in the OHL Priority draft after Galchenyuk

And the production wasn't too bad either. I think he ends up going in the late teens, looked at as #2-#3 type center with upside if he can improve his stride.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I was never really impressed with Gaunce when I watched him, but what I like about him is

-Great size already at nearly 6'2" and 207lbs
-fantastic athleticism as shown at the NHL combine where he finished top 10 in 11 categories.
-the skills to be taken #2 in the OHL Priority draft after Galchenyuk

And the production wasn't too bad either. I think he ends up going in the late teens, looked at as #2-#3 type center with upside if he can improve his stride.
Don't believe Gaunce will be a top 6. He will be a NHL'er. But not as top 6 and not compared to at least 20 guys that I would portrait as top 6 forward and top 4 D's. 3rd line centerman isn't bad...but it's not what I would have in mind for a top 20.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:10 AM
NotProkofievian

I've never been impressed with Gaunce either. I would much rather have Faksa, Hertl, Kerdiles or any number of other forwards than him.

Last edited by NotProkofievian: 06-14-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Don't believe Gaunce will be a top 6. He will be a NHL'er. But not as top 6 and not compared to at least 20 guys that I would portrait as top 6 forward and top 4 D's. 3rd line centerman isn't bad...but it's not what I would have in mind for a top 20.
I think he'll be the type that could either end up a 2nd line crash and bang complimentary winger, or a third line center. These types do go top 20 quite frequently.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:39 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I don't see Grigorenko being there at 3rd. With Columbus moving Nash, they'll need a replacement. Grigs is a Centre, but he does play RW as well. He would look good on Johansen's right side.

That's my guess. Grigs going 2nd to Columbus
what ? really ? can we bet ? i would bet my hfboard account that Grigo doesnt go in the top5

Old
06-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Mrb1p

Gaunce look's like 2012 Chipchura.

IM JUST SAIYAN

Old
06-14-2012, 01:32 AM
LyricalLyricist

I REALLY want habs to get another 1st rounder. Hoping someone drops.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I REALLY want habs to get another 1st rounder. Hoping someone drops.
Is your avatar from Don Cherry's "don't give me any of that commie ______"?

Old
06-14-2012, 01:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Is your avatar from Don Cherry's "don't give me any of that commie ______"?
Yup, exactly. Nice guess.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Why don't we hear enough of this guy?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=50291

Old
06-14-2012, 04:28 AM
rockjngo

I have the chance to see Brendan Gaunce play many games. I don't see any similarity between him and Kyle Chipchura. Some people hear watch or read and it affects there opinion haven't not see Gaunce. This guy is very skilled player, he's big and has good leadership. The question mark isn't about his skating like Chipchura, scouts question if he could put up more than point per game. A player similar to Gaunce in the NHL would be Mike Richards or Brooks Laich type.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
The risk factor will drop a few players from people list. People have Gaunce higher because he'll be a player in the NHL. If people's list were based only on upside, a guy like Athanasiou would be top 15,but the risk factor is quite high so he's rated as a second rounder.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
8 Days...

Old
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
8 Days...
8 days to Grigorenko...............

Old
06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

My updated mock with the new draft order.

1- Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Murray (They bite the bullet and take the BPA at their biggest position of need).
2 - Columbus Blue Jackets: Nail Yakupov (Russian factor wont scare them away from having a dynamic talent to replace Rick Nash).
3 - Montreal Canadiens: Alex Galchenyuk (They get the center theyve needed. Has everything Timmins looks for in a prospect).
4 - New York Islanders: Matt Dumba (They hope Murray falls to them, but takes the offense and physicality in Dumba).
5 - Toronto Maple Leafs: Filip Forsberg (Torn between him and Grigorenko, they decide to go for the more N-A European in the Swedish Forsberg).
6 - Anaheim Ducks: Mikhail Grigorenko (They desperately need a second line center to take the weight off Getzlafs shoulders. Too much talent for them to pass up on here).
7 - Minnesota Wild: Morgan Rielly (They have some talent upfront with Koivu and Granlund, they need a dynamic offensive player from the back end to help their PP. Rielly has the offense and the musculature to be a NHL defenseman in a year).
8 - Carolina Hurricanes: Teuvo Teravainen (Surprises he dropped all the way to them, they pick up a forward that is skilled and can either center Staal or play on his wing).
9 - Winnipeg Jets: Jacob Trouba (Trouba is the last player left of the top players in the draft, he will look good alternating shifts with Bogosian).
10 - Tampa Bay Lightning: Griffin Reinhart (Tampa Bay need defensive prospects badly and Reinhart is too good at 10 for them to pass up).
11 - Washington Capitals: Sebastian Collberg (They did well taking Johansson out of Sweden along with Backstrom. Gives them a Swedish sniper to use on their wings).
12 - Buffalo Sabres: Radek Faksa (Theyve been needing a big bruising center as long as time has existed. They can take Faksa and hope he can develop more than a 60 point upside).
13 - Dallas Stars: Olli Maata (Stars and Maata seem like a match made in heaven. Maata plays the style that Dallas likes. Heady, smart and steady).
14 - Calgary Flames: Brendan Gaunce (Flames like their big bodied players. Gaunce brings that and an NHL release).
15 - Ottawa Senators: Cody Ceci (Completes the big 3 with Cowen and Karlsson).
16 - Washington Capitals: Hampus Lindholm (After taking countryman Collberg, Capitals take the puck moving D from Sweden).
17 - San Jose Sharks: Derrick Pouliot (They are set up front but they have been lacking some depth on their blueline. Pouliot gives them that depth.)
18 - Chicago Blackhawks: Zemgus Girgensons (They won the cup off big physical depth players that can score on bottom lines. Girgensons provides this in spades and takes pressure off him from being a big point getter which may not be his future in the NHL).
19 - Tampa Bay Lightning: Pontus Aberg (After addressing their defensive woes with their first selection, they take the most offensively gifted player left in the draft).
20 - Philadelphia Flyers: Brady Skjei (With Pronger out, they look for a replacement. Skjei has the frame and he can skate with that frame. If he can gain a mean streak, its a good gamble).
21 - Buffalo Sabres: Matthew Finn (After getting Faksa, Buffalo takes a defenseman who can provide some offense with Tyler Myers).
22 - Pittsburgh Penguins: Malcolm Subban (They are losing faith in Fleury via the Vokoun trade, they take a chance on someone who can come in and dethrone him without too much urgency to make a switch).
23 - Florida Panthers: Ludvig Bystrom (They did well with a committee on defense and a lot of their recent drafts have seen them take mostly forwards. Bystrom gives Gudbranson a future companion on the back line).
24 - Boston Bruins: Thomas Wilson (Desperate to add more truculence, they go after Wilson and hope for a Lucic version 2).
25 - St. Louis Blues: Tomas Hertl (The Blues are smart, they draft smart and they get quality late in the first round. Hertl is a beast and could end up being a lot like Berglund).
26 - Vancouver Canucks: Slater Koekkoek (More depth on the blueline is always a good thing, they wanted Tinordi in 2010, Koekkoek might not be as big but he is an excellent prospect).
27 - Phoenix Coyotes: Nicolas Kerdiles (His showing in the U-18 was extraordinary. Coyotes thrive off scoring by committee which will be big for Kerdiles).
28 - New York Rangers: Stefan Matteau (Seems to be a consensus that they will take the Ranger name in Matteau).
29 - New Jersey Devils: Andrei Vasilevski (They mustve kept this selection for something, it might be to take the heir to the Brodeur throne).
30 - Los Angeles Kings: Michael Matheson (After losing Johnson to a trade, they pick up a promising defender who can hit, skate and make offensive plays).

Old
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The risk factor will drop a few players from people list. People have Gaunce higher because he'll be a player in the NHL. If people's list were based only on upside, a guy like Athanasiou would be top 15,but the risk factor is quite high so he's rated as a second rounder.
That's why a guy like Grigorenko will go closer to #10 than #1,2 or 3.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's why a guy like Grigorenko will go closer to #10 than #1,2 or 3.
Maybe we should trade up with our 2nd, next year's picks and prospect to acquire another top pick and draft him as well. This guy could still turn out to be a hell of a player

Old
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
habshound247

Quote:

1- Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Murray (They bite the bullet and take the BPA at their biggest position of need).2 - Columbus Blue Jackets: Nail Yakupov (Russian factor wont scare them away from having a dynamic talent to replace Rick Nash).
3 - Montreal Canadiens: Alex Galchenyuk (They get the center theyve needed. Has everything Timmins looks for in a prospect).
4 - New York Islanders: Matt Dumba (They hope Murray falls to them, but takes the offense and physicality in Dumba).
5 - Toronto Maple Leafs: Filip Forsberg (Torn between him and Grigorenko, they decide to go for the more N-A European in the Swedish Forsberg).
6 - Anaheim Ducks: Mikhail Grigorenko (They desperately need a second line center to take the weight off Getzlafs shoulders. Too much talent for them to pass up on here).
7 - Minnesota Wild: Morgan Rielly (They have some talent upfront with Koivu and Granlund, they need a dynamic offensive player from the back end to help their PP. Rielly has the offense and the musculature to be a NHL defenseman in a year).
8 - Carolina Hurricanes: Teuvo Teravainen (Surprises he dropped all the way to them, they pick up a forward that is skilled and can either center Staal or play on his wing).
9 - Winnipeg Jets: Jacob Trouba (Trouba is the last player left of the top players in the draft, he will look good alternating shifts with Bogosian).
10 - Tampa Bay Lightning: Griffin Reinhart (Tampa Bay need defensive prospects badly and Reinhart is too good at 10 for them to pass up).
11 - Washington Capitals: Sebastian Collberg (They did well taking Johansson out of Sweden along with Backstrom. Gives them a Swedish sniper to use on their wings).
12 - Buffalo Sabres: Radek Faksa (Theyve been needing a big bruising center as long as time has existed. They can take Faksa and hope he can develop more than a 60 point upside).
13 - Dallas Stars: Olli Maata (Stars and Maata seem like a match made in heaven. Maata plays the style that Dallas likes. Heady, smart and steady).
14 - Calgary Flames: Brendan Gaunce (Flames like their big bodied players. Gaunce brings that and an NHL release).
16 - Washington Capitals: Hampus Lindholm (After taking countryman Collberg, Capitals take the puck moving D from Sweden).
17 - San Jose Sharks: Derrick Pouliot (They are set up front but they have been lacking some depth on their blueline. Pouliot gives them that depth.)
18 - Chicago Blackhawks: Zemgus Girgensons (They won the cup off big physical depth players that can score on bottom lines. Girgensons provides this in spades and takes pressure off him from being a big point getter which may not be his future in the NHL).
19 - Tampa Bay Lightning: Pontus Aberg (After addressing their defensive woes with their first selection, they take the most offensively gifted player left in the draft).
20 - Philadelphia Flyers: Brady Skjei (With Pronger out, they look for a replacement. Skjei has the frame and he can skate with that frame. If he can gain a mean streak, its a good gamble).
21 - Buffalo Sabres: Matthew Finn (After getting Faksa, Buffalo takes a defenseman who can provide some offense with Tyler Myers).
22 - Pittsburgh Penguins: Malcolm Subban (They are losing faith in Fleury via the Vokoun trade, they take a chance on someone who can come in and dethrone him without too much urgency to make a switch).
23 - Florida Panthers: Ludvig Bystrom (They did well with a committee on defense and a lot of their recent drafts have seen them take mostly forwards. Bystrom gives Gudbranson a future companion on the back line).
24 - Boston Bruins: Thomas Wilson (Desperate to add more truculence, they go after Wilson and hope for a Lucic version 2).
25 - St. Louis Blues: Tomas Hertl (The Blues are smart, they draft smart and they get quality late in the first round. Hertl is a beast and could end up being a lot like Berglund).
26 - Vancouver Canucks: Slater Koekkoek (More depth on the blueline is always a good thing, they wanted Tinordi in 2010, Koekkoek might not be as big but he is an excellent prospect).
27 - Phoenix Coyotes: Nicolas Kerdiles (His showing in the U-18 was extraordinary. Coyotes thrive off scoring by committee which will be big for Kerdiles).
28 - New York Rangers: Stefan Matteau (Seems to be a consensus that they will take the Ranger name in Matteau).
29 - New Jersey Devils: Andrei Vasilevski (They mustve kept this selection for something, it might be to take the heir to the Brodeur throne).
30 - Los Angeles Kings: Michael Matheson (After losing Johnson to a trade, they pick up a promising defender who can hit, skate and make offensive plays).

That had to be hard for you to say based on your thoughts on Murray. Not bad.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

1- Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Murray (They bite the bullet and take the BPA at their biggest position of need).
2 - Columbus Blue Jackets: Nail Yakupov (Russian factor wont scare them away from having a dynamic talent to replace Rick Nash).
And that's why I think they would try to complete the trio. If Teuvo Teravainen is available for the Wild, I think they take him

Good list overall, can't wait until next Friday

Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post

That had to be hard for you to say based on your thoughts on Murray. Not bad.
I dont want him for the Habs because I like dimensional defenseman. Any team is going to be thrilled to get a player who will play 10-15 years in the NHL. Its not often you can draft a sure thing.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
No doubt Rielly is a better option for Minnesota over Trouba, but I have the funny feeling they're going to go with Trouba in the end. Either way, one or the other will improve their already solid prospect pool. One thing is for sure, they need to add a goalie or two to their depth. Hackett appears to be a good back-up and there's not much that follows after that.

Nice write-up, WTK.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Closed Thread