HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Euro Cup 2012 Discussion ITALIA v. SPAIN | Final

Old
06-10-2012, 04:27 PM
IslesNorway

vCash: 500
All three Croatia's goals tonight have been extremely lucky although their lead is thoroughly deserved.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Nice match between the Azzurri and Spain.

1-1 Draw.
Was a goodin', but this EC is killing me in the online betting department.

Sheesh...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:00 PM
JTforPres2012

Alexi Lalas did everything possible to push Tommy Smyth's buttons during that Ireland game.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:57 AM
IslesNorway

Just out of curiousity, those of you in the States and Canda who follow the Euro, why do you support the team you do? Is it by chance or ethnicity or some other reason?

Old
06-11-2012, 05:55 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Just out of curiousity, those of you in the States and Canda who follow the Euro, why do you support the team you do? Is it by chance or ethnicity or some other reason?
Most people I know who follow soccer do on the basis of ethnicity although I notice the Portuguese will follow Brazil if Portugal doesn't make the world cup(which I never get, the logic well they speak Portuguese in Brazil and I am from Portugal would be like me cheering for England because they speak English there. lol)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:26 AM
SthlmNYI

Sweden's opener today against the other host country Ukraine, already getting pumped for the game!
We'll pretty much need to win this game to have any chance of going into the playoffs, but unfortunately the Ukrainians are in the same seat as us. Nevertheless, hoping for a entertaining and open game (3-1 Sweden) although I feel it could very well end up being a pretty boring draw, 0-0 or at best 1-1..

Furthermore todays early game features a really good match-up between the archenemies England and France.

Last edited by SthlmNYI: 06-11-2012 at 06:46 AM.
SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:35 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthlmNYI View Post
Sweden's opener today against the other host country Ukraine

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Strummergas

France and England in 3 hours (thanks IslesNorway for the correction). Shame I have to work. I haven't seen a damn match aside from the last part of the 2nd half of Portugal and Germany. I did manage to see the goal though.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
IslesNorway

Figuring England - France will end up rather boring draw. 0-0 is my bet. I always support England but this time everyone knows they're not good enough, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond to playing without pressure.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
I follow Italy because I'm Italian and my family has always cheered for them and the US.

06-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I root for Germany, My dad used to take me to Cosmos games (i bet 2/3rd dont know what I am talking about) and he was friends with alot of the guys who played for the team. I met them all when I was very little and I have Franz Beckenbauer's autograph as well as Pele's but there is one photo of Franz and me when i was 3 yrs old. I followed the West Germans when I was little and ever since the unification I have cheered for Germany.

My favorite soccer team is Liverpool, so I do have a soft spot for England cause there as much fun to watch on the field but even more scandalous off the field.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the isle revival View Post
US with a decent showing tonight in their first qualifier. Man, I hope soccer catches on one day in the US, I freaking love it.
Me too. It's such a great sport. I, along with 4 other friends have a 10 game pack for the Red Bulls. It's such a blast going to those games. The atmosphere for the full 90 is insane. Doesn't hurt that the Red Bulls are a powerhouse and have great star power with Henry (my favorite player by the way back to his Arsenal days).

Make no mistake, soccer is getting bigger in this country. The rapid MLS expansion and soccer specific stadiums built the last 15 years will tell you that. Will it ever be as big as it is in Europe/South America? No. Because in Europe/South America there isn't much else in terms of high level professional sports.

Also, and it's the same reason hockey is where it is... it's not an American sport. Plus I always hear people say "oh soccer sucks because there aren't enough goals scored". These are the same people who love baseball and a 1-0 pitchers duel with 3 hits for each team. Give me a break! Personally, I hate pitchers duels. Give me a 9-8 slugfest any day. And just because there aren't many goals in soccer doesn't mean it's boring by any means. There are usually a good number of chances, great saves, goal posts hit. The buildup in an attack is as exciting as anything.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Boring

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Figuring England - France will end up rather boring draw. 0-0 is my bet. I always support England but this time everyone knows they're not good enough, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond to playing without pressure.
Even when England is at full strength they haven't been good enough in recent years. And now with 75% of their squad with Rick Dipietro syndrome, there isn't a chance in hell.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Boring
You and me gonna throw down GOON style buddy!

Old
06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
You and me gonna throw down GOON style buddy!
Make sure your jersey is tied down!!! I only watch soccer when its the world cup. I think its boring to run around for 90 minutes and get 5 shots on goal and end in a 0-0 tie.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Make sure your jersey is tied down!!! I only watch soccer when its the world cup. I think its boring to run around for 90 minutes and get 5 shots on goal and end in a 0-0 tie.
See that's just perception. 0-0 ties are VERY rare on the whole. I watch the English Premier League mainly. And of course some MLS. But the premier league is the highest scoring league in the world statistically and just this past year, they broke the record for most goals scored in a season. 3-2 and 4-3 matches are a weekly occurrence over there with a team scoring 6 or 7 a couple times per month. And many of them are settled with goals late in the match.

And no my jersey is not tied down. I like to do the old Rob Ray trick and take it all off so you can't hold onto anything.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
There have been no scoreless draws so far in the Euros and four years ago only two games ended scoreless in the whole tournament. Watch how Russia are playing in this
tournament and you may start to like it!

Old
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Gradin

Quote:
Italian heritage and come from a long generational line of Juventus fans, which has made me a crazed Juve supporter. As far as national teams it's the Azzurri all the way and I don't even pay a shred of attention to USA soccer...just like 95% of American society doesn't. No collective passion equals no interest from this supporter.

Italy played about as well as anyone could have expected yesterday against an opponent who is right in the middle of their Golden Generation. Spain's passing, instincts, chemistry, and ball control are awe-inspiring at times.

Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Native Czech, emigrated to States as a wee lad so I follow the Czech national team closely. We are clearly in rebuild mode and it is a shame that we didn't accomplish more than we did with the previous generation (Nedved, Koller, Poborsky, etc.).

The Russia game was a fiasco as they exposed our porous defense and proved that Baros alone upfront is utterly useless. Hopefully they can steal a win from the Greeks but it won't be easy.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
The boring games are during the world cup. As far as quality of play and competitiveness goes, the Euros are superior. As is Champions League.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:53 PM
SthlmNYI

Moterf*****...

Now we'll need to win against either England or France, and draw the other. Sweden looked really taken away by the moment and surprised by Ukraine's offensive style thus never got things right.

Good thing is we've got nothing to lose in the upcoming games against England and France!

Last edited by Homeland Security: 06-11-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Let the filter do its job.
SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthlmNYI View Post
Moterf*****...

Now we'll need to win against either England or France, and draw the other. Sweden looked really taken away by the moment and surprised by Ukraine's offensive style thus never got things right.

Good thing is we've got nothing to lose in the upcoming games against England and France!
Yep, the loss to the Ukraine was not good.

Definitely felt Sweden was gonna win this one.

Those doggone Ukrainians can be difficult. Looks like hometeam advantage is helping them a bit more than it did Poland.

Round 2 begins tomorrow then...

Last edited by Homeland Security: 06-11-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Edited QP
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Hipietro

Am I the only Portugal supporter on here?

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:16 AM
GusTheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Native Czech, emigrated to States as a wee lad so I follow the Czech national team closely. We are clearly in rebuild mode and it is a shame that we didn't accomplish more than we did with the previous generation (Nedved, Koller, Poborsky, etc.).

The Russia game was a fiasco as they exposed our porous defense and proved that Baros alone upfront is utterly useless. Hopefully they can steal a win from the Greeks but it won't be easy.
Whoever wins this game takes the 2nd spot in this group IMO.

Poland played well for the first 30 minutes of the game, but I believe playing in front of the home crowd for the first game of the tournament played a large part in it. They were beneficiaries of some really bad calls and a missed hand ball in the box. They were largely outplayed in the 2nd half despite being a man up for about half of it.

Should be an interesting game, I'm hoping for a Greek win, but I have my doubts!

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote