HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Who will make the team out of training camp?

Old
06-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Highly doubt that.
you're on then.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
Any chance we see Seimens?
Nope. He needs more time to work on his game in the WHL.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
<----
EJ-Ivan13
ROB-Hejda
Wilson-Gaunce
Hunwick

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:25 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
EJ-Ivan13
ROB-Hejda
Wilson-Gaunce
Hunwick

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Olver(if he even counts) and Gaunce.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
EJ-Ivan13
ROB-Hejda
Wilson-Gaunce
Hunwick
I don't know what Ivan13 has done to warrant top pairing minutes. I'd put him ahead of Hunwick though.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:41 PM
cgf

Olver and Gaunce are my picks. Gaunce is ready. This year he will break into the NHL and stay. His defensive game, instincts and improved skating give the kid everything to be a successful NHL defender.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
- Olver will be on the team, either as 4th line centre if McClement doesn't resign or 13th forward if he does come back
- Malone will take Porter's roster spot after not being tendered RFA, 13 or 14th forward
- Bordeleau will make it if both McClement and Porter aren't kept
- Elliott will beat out Barrie in camp for a roster spot

All other roster spots are spoken for, unless the Avs don't sign a UFA defenseman

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
EJ-Ivan13
ROB-Hejda
Wilson-Gaunce
Hunwick
You know it makes sense and you're just jealous.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Drury_Sakic

The bigger question is who will the darkhorse roster guy be?

The Avs always seem to find one guy who no one expected to make the roster that shows up and impresses enough to stick. Could be a vet UFA or a prospect in the system who steps up.

Regarding Siemens, I think there is a good chance that he gets an extended look in camp and maybe even gets a few games before being send down. Unless he is clearly outmatched, it would do him good to stick with the big club as long as he can before being sent down to give him an idea of what he needs to work on and a taste of what is to come. Get him some ice time in camp and give him a game or two once the season starts, if he looks good enough in camp, to see where he is at. I also don't think it would hurt Gaunce, Barrie, and Elliott to feel a bit of competition from Siemens in camp.

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 06-09-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:17 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Olver and Elliott make the team. Barrie and Gaunce to the AHL or traded.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post

The Avs always seem to find one guy who no one expected to make the roster that shows up and impresses enough to stick. Could be a vet UFA or a prospect in the system who steps up.

Regarding Siemens, I think there is a good chance that he gets an extended look in camp and maybe even gets a few games before being send down. Unless he is clearly outmatched, it would do him good to stick with the big club as long as he can before being sent down to give him an idea of what he needs to work on and a taste of what is to come. Get him some ice time in camp and give him a game or two once the season starts, if he looks good enough in camp, to see where he is at. I also don't think it would hurt Gaunce, Barrie, and Elliott to feel a bit of competition from Siemens in camp.
Siemens will get an extended look in the camp and in preseason, but I'm pretty sure he won't get to play in the NHL. And his presence at the camp has little to do with competition for Stef and Tyson, he'll compete for a spot with Gaunce, Wilson and Hunwick.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:16 PM
PeterTheGreat

Olver and Elliott IMO.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Olver and Elliott IMO.
Barrie is more polished defensively and tho not quite as creative offensively or have the wicked wrist shot, is very capable of moving the puck. Down the road I think Barrie will be traded and think him being in the NHL will also increase his value, while Elliott polishes his defense and strength in the AHL.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'll be shocked if they let Barrie or Elliott walk on to the roster without having to beat out a vet.

Doesn't have to be a great vet, but I think they're gonna make another SOB type signing to set up a three-way competition.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Olver will make the team because i have this scared feeling that Jay will leave for a bigger role on another team. Olver will be a great energy player with some underrated scoring though. Could even move up the depth chart. Barrie IMO would make it ahead of Elliott at this point and Gaunce I have no idea.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
NHL33*

Assuming we don't sign another defenseman, Olver, Gaunce and Barrie. If we do sign someone then I expect Olver and Gaunce.

I wouldn't be surprised if Malone had a good training camp but was left out due to a numbers game.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
One of Elliott/Barrie/Gaunce as a 7th d (wishful thinking that Hunwick goes away, but I could see him being out-performed by the first two and Gaunce making it if O'Brien leaves, which I don't think he will/should).

Forwards... Wishful thinking tells me one of McLeod/Kobasew goes away and Malone makes the team, but I doubt that too. I think Connolly might have a shot though, even if he doesn't play every game. The only problem with a forward making it out of training camp is how many of them there are. I'd like to think Porter will be gone bbut even then, there are people more likely to be on the team than a Malone or a Connolly type. And I don't see Hishon or Sgarbossa being ready for their roles yet.

Lake Erie should do alright next year though, barring catastrophic injury problems.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:

Siemens won't likely see any regular season time. He'll get to play in 3-5 exhibition games and likely play 18 minutes a night in those games, but that will likely be the extent of it.

I think he only got to play in one exhibition game this past year, against the Blues, so I could see him getting much more exposure next camp. But still, it won't be like he gets a 9 game stint before being sent back to the WHL or anything.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'll be shocked if they let Barrie or Elliott walk on to the roster without having to beat out a vet.

Doesn't have to be a great vet, but I think they're gonna make another SOB type signing to set up a three-way competition.
I think that's why we re-signed Hunwick, let Barrie beat him for a spot and if he can't, send him down to LEM to start the year with Elliott. It's also why I expect us to re-sign Wilson to try and hold off Gaunce, even if we do go out and get a top pairing LHD for EJ to play with.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Drury_Sakic

I think there is at least a small chance that Kobasew could be traded during the offseason depending on how contract talks go with McClemment. I know its a center/wing difference between the two, but if I am Sherman and I am able to get McClemment down to a deal that is decent, I work hard to trade Kobasew to make room on the roster for Malone and Olver. I then wait till late into August to sign one of those leftover UFA vets to a one year cheap deal as the 13th forward.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:13 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
I think there is at least a small chance that Kobasew could be traded during the offseason depending on how contract talks go with McClemment. I know its a center/wing difference between the two, but if I am Sherman and I am able to get McClemment down to a deal that is decent, I work hard to trade Kobasew to make room on the roster for Malone and Olver. I then wait till late into August to sign one of those leftover UFA vets to a one year cheap deal as the 13th forward.
Why can't that be Kobasew? He turned his season around and became an important penalty killer for us, especially after trading Winnik and Galiardi. He is a good veteran presence and plays whatever role asked of him.

This just seems like another EA Sports NHL game suggestion... let's trade a guy and then sign somebody exactly like him. I don't see the point.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Why can't that be Kobasew? He turned his season around and became an important penalty killer for us, especially after trading Winnik and Galiardi. He is a good veteran presence and plays whatever role asked of him.

This just seems like another EA Sports NHL game suggestion... let's trade a guy and then sign somebody exactly like him. I don't see the point.
I thought Kobasew played great after he got relegated to the bottom 6. He's clearly never going to sniff 20 goals in his career again, but he's a pretty good grinder and brings a lot of energy to his shifts. People disliked him because Sacco thought he belonged on the 1st line at the beginning of the season.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

Its simply a money thing. Trade Kobasew for table scraps and then sign a minimum contract vet that would be less of an issue to potentially send down to the Monsters if Olver, Malone, and/or another younger guy can step into a bottom 6 spot.

Just going off of how the Avs have fiscally done things the last few years, it is only logical that they would rather have a minimum contract guy be the bench depth player than a guy making 1.25k.

I also think some change for changes sake would not be the worst thing up front. It is very possible that not a single top 9 forward rolls over.

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
Mueller-Duchene-Hejduk

With Mueller being the only real possibility at this point in the top 9...though I could see Olver or Malone get a chance to challenge for that spot and Mueller being let go.

Given the money he just got, McLeod is all but a lock on the 4th line and I would like to see the Avs sign McClemment. That leaves very little room for any change up front. There is ALWAYS one of those vet 2 way players with PK skills left looking for a job in August that signs for dirt cheap. I would love to see the Avs wait and see if they cannot nab one of them. Given that the Avs were a non-playoff team, making at least ONE change to the top 13 forwards seems to be in order. (Though that may come in the form of McClemment, and I would much rather see Kobasew sent packing that McClemment)

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Lando-O'Reilly-Downie
Olver-Duchene-Hejduk
McLeod-McClemment-Malone (McLeod-Malone-Kobasew)

Is almost certain to be the Avs projected lineup going into camp unless at least ONE forward is brought in via UFA or trade, with Mueller being let go and Olver taking his place....and again, I have a hard time not seeing at least one of Kobasew OR McClemment replaced...and I would much rather it be Kobasew.

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 06-10-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
There is no-one in the Avs organisation currently who can replace McClement and I have a hard time seeing a viable alternative to get via trade or free agency. I'd like to see Olver in ahead of Kobasew (though I'd rather see Kobasew in ahead of McLeod and have Olver on the team full-time) bit Kobasew will definitely not be kept over McClement.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote