HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
I wouldn't trade either one of them for Mike Trout. Reddick is a leader on this team and Cespedes is primed to become one of the very best players in the league very soon. His attitude is my only concern, but the 5 other tools are legit.
Trout just set a major league record for consecutive games scoring a run tonight. He leads the AL in avg at .354, has an ops of 1.003, has swiped 31 bags, has hit 15 homers, and leads the AL with 69 R's, even though he spent the first 3 weeks in AAA. He has a WAR of 5.8 and has range in the OF for days. Oh yeah, he's also only 20 years old. he's likely not only the AL ROY, but the MVP, too.

I love the A's and really like Cespedes and Reddick, but only someone who was biased wouldn't trade those two for Trout. If I were starting a franchise, he'd be the player I take first.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:46 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Trout just set a major league record for consecutive games scoring a run tonight. He leads the AL in avg at .354, has an ops of 1.003, has swiped 31 bags, has hit 15 homers, and leads the AL with 69 R's, even though he spent the first 3 weeks in AAA. He has a WAR of 5.8 and has range in the OF for days. Oh yeah, he's also only 20 years old. he's likely not only the AL ROY, but the MVP, too.

I love the A's and really like Cespedes and Reddick, but only someone who was biased wouldn't trade those two for Trout. If I were starting a franchise, he'd be the player I take first.
No doubt that Chuck Bass is an amazing player, but somehow the A's have the same record as a team with 3 times the payroll in Anaheim. Reddick and Cespedes and a bunch of rookies are leading this surge of amazing play and it's because they are all building off each other and having fun. I am only saying that I would not mess with the chemistry that the team has right now by trading, even if in a hypothetical situation, two core pieces of this group to "upgrade" with the tear they are on right now. Sure, I would add to the team, but not subtract those two. I'll take our players and rally behind them because, well, they are our guys. I also like intangibles. Bet you didn't think so I command you to, panoramic view.

And they are showing that, for right now at least, the sum is greater than the parts.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
No doubt that Chuck Bass is an amazing player, but somehow the A's have the same record as a team with 3 times the payroll in Anaheim.
Money doesn't win games, pitching and defense does. And the A's have the best in the AL.

Quote:
Reddick and Cespedes and a bunch of rookies are leading this surge of amazing play and it's because they are all building off each other and having fun. I am only saying that I would not mess with the chemistry that the team has right now by trading, even if in a hypothetical situation, two core pieces of this group to "upgrade" with the tear they are on right now. Sure, I would add to the team, but not subtract those two. I'll take our players and rally behind them because, well, they are our guys. I also like intangibles. Bet you didn't think so I command you to, panoramic view.
Cespedes and Reddick are a big part of the teams success lately, no doubt. But so is Coco, Gomes, Smith, Inge, Parker, Doolittle, Cook, Parker, Milone etc....

If you're getting the better player, who is under team control for 7 more years, you make the move. It's not about only this year, it's about the future, and Trout has a longer and brighter one ahead.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying in your last sentence.

Quote:
And they are showing that, for right now at least, the sum is greater than the parts.
For sure. They're the MLB version of the 2000 Devils, they sufficate with defensive play, and score timely goals to win 1-0 or 2-1.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:10 AM
nbbyfan20

Quote:

Never really got WAR. Want to explain what WAR is?

Old
07-23-2012, 01:16 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Wins Above Replacement. Essentially how much better a player is over some random hypothetical "replacement player" a team could get on waivers or call up from AAA (expressed as how many extra wins a team could achieve with that player in the lineup over said replacement player). a WAR of 0 is replacement level. 1ish is usually MLB bench level, around 2 is MLB starter, anything over 5 is considered all-star level, and 8+ is MVP calibre. And if a player is unfortunate enough to have negative WAR, they probably shouldn't be in the majors.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/

generally speaking, it's just meant to be a good single number to use to compare multiple players without having to take an array of different stats and weigh them against one another for players that play different styles that put differing amounts of importance on different items (ie a speedy leadoff guy who thrives on high OBP and steals vs a power-hitting mid-lineup guy who's more in for homers and OPS)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 07-23-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old
07-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
It stands for "Wins above replacement". Here is the definition from baseball-reference:

"A single number that presents the number of wins the player added to the team above what a replacement player (think AAA of AAAA) would add.

Scale for a single season: 8+ = MVP quality

5+ = all-star

2+= starter

0-2 = reserve

< 0 = replacement level"

It's a cumulative stat, so the number right now isn't a finished product. Trout's 5.8 is already great, and at the place he is going, he's going to finish with a WAR above 10.

Edit: Nem nailed it.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I wish football season would hurry up and get here. I hate the month of July. So close, yet so far away, especially after last season and how we had a rebirth of our winning ways.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
I am still so stoked off that 4 game sweep of the Yankees. I'm still very cautiously optimistic that the A's can take one of the wild card spots, but to be honest I'm just happy they have been relevant this season. It's been fun to watch so far

Old
07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
The Raiders traded Louis Murphy to the Panthers. Tells me I'm going to see a lot of Moore this year which has me excited. That kid is a pure playmaker with some unbelievable wheels.

Quote:
Wide receiver Louis Murphy, the team's most productive wide receiver in 2009 and 2010, has been traded to the Carolina Panthers for a conditional draft pick.
http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/c...olina-panthers

Old
07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
I wish football season would hurry up and get here. I hate the month of July. So close, yet so far away, especially after last season and how we had a rebirth of our winning ways.
Same here. I'm finding I'm not really looking forward much to the Olympics and just wish Football can be here sooner. I like July for various reasons (Birthday - July 3, Independence Day, Family Camp trip) but sports is not one of them.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:39 PM

As you all know I am an avid Yankees fan. I am sure you guys were stoked about how this weekend played out. Your pitchers could make the stops when necessary, and the Yankees couldnt. It was a great series! Good luck the rest of the way

Old
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Franchise13

Grats on Ichiro 209, always loved him as a player even if he's a shell of his former self.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Clowe Me

Every other team in contention seems to be making moves.

When are the A's and Giants going to join the party?

Old
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Clowe Me

I have a feeling Marco Scutaro will be an A by July 31st.

Just a hunch.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
I have a feeling Marco Scutaro will be an A by July 31st.

Just a hunch.

And I have a feeling Chris Perez will be a Giant by July 31. His game and personality would be a great fit.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Grats on Ichiro 209, always loved him as a player even if he's a shell of his former self.
That was so far out of left field, I cant even express my surprise. Do I love it? YES. Lets see if he can adjust to playing left field and then bat in the bottom of the order.

Last edited by 209: 07-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 01:31 PM

I think the Perez to SF has some legs but it might take something good out of SF to get him. Not sure about their prospects since they traded their best one away last year to NYM.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
I think the Perez to SF has some legs but it might take something good out of SF to get him. Not sure about their prospects since they traded their best one away last year to NYM.

I heard the Indians want roster players over prospects for him, and that would probably suit the Giants better. They're backlogged at a couple of positions, so guys like Schierholtz (who pretty much requested a trade anyway), Arias, or Blanco might be available.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

I don't want a giants trade unless it involves upgrading the middle infield.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
I don't want a giants trade unless it involves upgrading the middle infield.
So unless they upgrade at SS they shouldn't make any moves?

Glad you aren't the GM.

And I only mention SS because Theriot isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
rangerssharks414

This really isn't sports, but I was watching Jeopardy tonight (I promise, no spoilers), and someone named Andy Baggarly was on. I was like, "I recognize that name." So I check his twitter feed, and sure enough, it's the same guy that's the Giants reporter.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Time to trade for Beltran.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
So unless they upgrade at SS they shouldn't make any moves?

Glad you aren't the GM.

And I only mention SS because Theriot isn't going anywhere, nor should he.
SS is the biggest need to fill, imo

Old
07-24-2012, 07:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky F View Post
SS is the biggest need to fill, imo
Doesn't mean the don't have other places they need a severe upgrade for.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Logancouture: Alright @brodiebrazilCSN and all you Bay Area A's fans, we're not friends for the next couple days. Go Jays!!

Closed Thread