HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM

vCash: 50
Was listening to Jim Duquette on MLB-XM this morning and he said there is another player from a west coast team who has tested positive for same stuff Melky took. This is supposed to be coming out at some point soon. He also said that MLB believes that the stuff is being distributed out of Miami. Let the conspiracy theorists discuss...

Old
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer
Jeff Kent was my favorite Giant as a kid, the redneck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
No way dude. Kent is an a-hole.
Come on, Jux. That's a clown statement, bro. He wasn't your favorite Giant as a kid. Good thing we have guys like Madman here to set you straight.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:47 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Come on, Jux. That's a clown statement, bro. He wasn't your favorite Giant as a kid. Good thing we have guys like Madman here to set you straight.
Apparently, she was remembering incorrectly. I mean, you may as well say your favorite singer is Bono.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Clowe Me

Stephen Drew is an Oakland A!

Old
08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Clowe Me

Details:

@Dbacks

ROSTER MOVE: #Dbacks acquire SS Sean Jamieson from #Athletics in exchange for SS Stephen Drew.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Shape

Quote:
Apparently, she was remembering incorrectly. I mean, you may as well say your favorite singer is Bono.
I believe it's a called a 'mis-remembereing'.

Great pick up for Oak Town. Fills a big hole.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
Saying evidence was tampered with and creating false evidence are 2 very different things. I hadn't even heard about this, but hopefully it doesn't amount to much. Seems like it was just a really stupid attempt at getting out of trouble by Melky and or his representatives.

This Melky thing has me thinking about the bigger implications on baseball as a whole. This is now 2 years in a row that a major star is in this kind of trouble. MVP last year in Braun who was for sure on the juice, and the potential batting champ this year in Melky who has admitted it as well. For being the "post steroid era" there is still a ton of cheating going on throughout the league among the best players. I wonder what a Matt Cain or Buster Posey thinks about this kinda stuff.

Bud Selig is an absolute joke, and needs to be dealth with. These types of situations make me wish MLB had a Roger Goodell type. Yes he may extend his hand too far every now and again, but at least he has the balls to step up and do something.
The NFL had the defensive player of the year test positive for steroids a few years ago (Shawne Merriman), he was suspended for a few games (four I believe) and then he came back. No uproar, no asterisks, nothing.

As long as baseball has been around, getting an edge has been as much a part of the game as hitting or catching the ball. PED's, stealing signs, pine tar, spitballs, filing boards, etc. If you can gain some competitive advantage over your opponent without getting caught, you do it. Same goes for any sport: it's only cheating if you get caught.

Because of the amount of work that pro athletes put into their careers and the money that awaits the cream of the crop, there's always going to be an allure to getting to the top by any means necessary. The sooner that society is no longer naive to that fact and instead just accepts that its going to happen, the sooner less a deal will be made of it all.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

Oakland better hope they get Pre-Injury Stephen Drew and not recent Stephen Drew. He's just not the same.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Quote:
Oh, I realize in hindsight that Kent was a huge *******. But ten-year-old me thought he was the best ever.

Anyway, sick duel between Bumgarner and Kershaw today.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:04 AM
Broomout

Wow good pickup for Oakland

Old
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
Was listening to Jim Duquette on MLB-XM this morning and he said there is another player from a west coast team who has tested positive for same stuff Melky took. This is supposed to be coming out at some point soon. He also said that MLB believes that the stuff is being distributed out of Miami. Let the conspiracy theorists discuss...

Oh my god, please let it be true.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Oh my god, please let it be true.
Something tells me Cespedes is on something.. then the A's will be in the same boat as the Giants

Old
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
The NFL had the defensive player of the year test positive for steroids a few years ago (Shawne Merriman), he was suspended for a few games (four I believe) and then he came back. No uproar, no asterisks, nothing.

As long as baseball has been around, getting an edge has been as much a part of the game as hitting or catching the ball. PED's, stealing signs, pine tar, spitballs, filing boards, etc. If you can gain some competitive advantage over your opponent without getting caught, you do it. Same goes for any sport: it's only cheating if you get caught.

Because of the amount of work that pro athletes put into their careers and the money that awaits the cream of the crop, there's always going to be an allure to getting to the top by any means necessary. The sooner that society is no longer naive to that fact and instead just accepts that its going to happen, the sooner less a deal will be made of it all.
A few months after becoming commissioner Goodell suspends him for 25% of the season and creates a rule saying anyone who test positive cannot play in a pro bowl. He has gotten even tougher on cheaters since then. I'm not saying he is perfect, but he is way better than Bud. Are you really trying to defend Selig?

What you are essentially saying is that because everyone cheats it's ok. I have never been one of those that believes "it's only cheating if you get caught". You absolutely try to gain the best advantage you can against your opponent, but you do it within the rules of the game. That's what they are there for. If everyone ignores the rules, then what the hell is the point?

If you cheat you are a cheater, and you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. I personally have more honor than that, and call me naive, but I'd like to believe a good portion of people in this world do too. You only cheat because you aren't good enough to win on your own talent and hard work.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:17 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Triple plA's

Old
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
A few months after becoming commissioner Goodell suspends him for 25% of the season and creates a rule saying anyone who test positive cannot play in a pro bowl. He has gotten even tougher on cheaters since then. I'm not saying he is perfect, but he is way better than Bud. Are you really trying to defend Selig?

What you are essentially saying is that because everyone cheats it's ok. I have never been one of those that believes "it's only cheating if you get caught". You absolutely try to gain the best advantage you can against your opponent, but you do it within the rules of the game. That's what they are there for. If everyone ignores the rules, then what the hell is the point?

If you cheat you are a cheater, and you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. I personally have more honor than that, and call me naive, but I'd like to believe a good portion of people in this world do too. You only cheat because you aren't good enough to win on your own talent and hard work.
Or because everybody else is cheating and you have to do what you can to stay relevant. Which is why baseball became a mess. Selig didn't do anything to stop steroid use when he could have (pardon the pun) nipped it in the bud.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

A's turned a triple play! 5 (Donaldson) - 4 (Rosales) - 3 (Carter)

First triple play for the A's since Randy Velarde did it unassisted in 2000.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Or because everybody else is cheating and you have to do what you can to stay relevant. Which is why baseball became a mess. Selig didn't do anything to stop steroid use when he could have (pardon the pun) nipped it in the bud.
MLB was making a cash cow off attendance, tv, and marketing off McGwire, Sosa, Bonds etc. He would have been dumb to cause a distraction.

Those players numbers had more to do with the quality of pitching (or lack there of), and juiced up baseballs more than ped use did. ped's have never been proven to make a baseball player better in any capacity, and they probably never will.

An before someone comes to argue with me, read this website:

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

Old
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
MLB was making a cash cow off attendance, tv, and marketing off McGwire, Sosa, Bonds etc. He would have been dumb to cause a distraction.

Those players numbers had more to do with the quality of pitching (or lack there of), and juiced up baseballs more than ped use did. ped's have never been proven to make a baseball player better in any capacity, and they probably never will.

An before someone comes to argue with me, read this website:

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/
A steroid won't make a routine hitter a HR hitter. But someone who can get it to the warning track can knock it out of the park. Nonetheless, there are ethical and legal issues around the use of steroids, which makes them worse than any in-game performance boosts provided.

Back to Selig, the fact he sold out makes him a key issue. He went for short-term gain and has now forever tainted the era in which he presided. The sport would have survived without the big HR hitters, but Selig was too stupid to see that.

There will always be cheaters in every sport, but the fact MLB did nothing to discourage cheating, and that it took Congress to basically get MLB to even put in a serious attempt at discipline, speaks volumes of the Selig era. If it were not for David Stern in the NBA, Selig would easily be one of the worst commissioners in all of sports over the past two-plus decades.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
A steroid won't make a routine hitter a HR hitter. But someone who can get it to the warning track can knock it out of the park. Nonetheless, there are ethical and legal issues around the use of steroids, which makes them worse than any in-game performance boosts provided.

Back to Selig, the fact he sold out makes him a key issue. He went for short-term gain and has now forever tainted the era in which he presided. The sport would have survived without the big HR hitters, but Selig was too stupid to see that.

There will always be cheaters in every sport, but the fact MLB did nothing to discourage cheating, and that it took Congress to basically get MLB to even put in a serious attempt at discipline, speaks volumes of the Selig era. If it were not for David Stern in the NBA, Selig would easily be one of the worst commissioners in all of sports over the past two-plus decades.
I agree with everything else you said, but the bolded part is simply not true.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Risky F
Don't Mess Up.

So the other player who failed the drug test was Bartolo colon. He's suspended for 50 games.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Shape

good lord.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Shape

The Bay Area:

Old
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Nice to know that the Bay Area is again at the center of the Steroid Controversy.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Kitten Mittons

Colon looks like Ghadaffi.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post