HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  #926
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Real refs have deal in place. Hopefully done by Friday so they can do this Sunday's games.

Might've had something to do with the 70k+ voicemails left overnight from Mon Night to Tuesday morning opening at the NFL offices by random people, lol.

Franchise13 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  #927
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Real refs have deal in place. Hopefully done by Friday so they can do this Sunday's games.

Might've had something to do with the 70k+ voicemails left overnight from Mon Night to Tuesday morning opening at the NFL offices by random people, lol.
Oh really? So by next week, sports media will find something else to cover other than the NHL lockout.

ChompChomp is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  #928
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!
 
HOOCH2173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Anacrime
Country: United States
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Oh really? So by next week, sports media will find something else to cover other than the NHL lockout.
Wait the sports media knows that the NHL has lockout? Do they even know what the NHL even is?

HOOCH2173 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
  #929
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Oh really? So by next week, sports media will find something else to cover other than the NHL lockout.
I know your being facetious but ... NBA pre season starts this weekend! On top of Conference Play in NCAA picking up etc...

Franchise13 is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
  #930
Shape
Go Sharks :(
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Across from the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I know your being facetious but ... NBA pre season starts this weekend! On top of Conference Play in NCAA picking up etc...
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.


So I was picked for the 2nd chance opportunity to buy giants playoff tix. I didn't see the email till an hour after I got it though. All 3 games were sold out.


Edit. Woohoo! I just checked again and got some game 5 tix! Sro, $52/piece.

Hopefully they in 3 or 4 and I can put that towards some NLCS tix.


Last edited by Shape: 09-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Shape is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
  #931
osgoodshlatters
Registered User
 
osgoodshlatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 5,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.


So I was picked for the 2nd chance opportunity to buy giants playoff tix. I didn't see the email till an hour after I got it though. All 3 games were sold out.


Edit. Woohoo! I just checked again and got some game 5 tix! Sro, $52/piece.

Hopefully they in 3 or 4 and I can put that towards some NLCS tix.
i think everyone got picked for the second chance tickets. also there is not even a possibility of a game 3 unless they catch the reds or nats in the standings

osgoodshlatters is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 12:36 AM
  #932
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.
My point is that people are crediting media and social media for pressure in helping get the NFL ref lockout over. Would be nice if there was media and social media pressure to end the NHL lockout. I distinctly remember the 04-05 lockout not having much media pressure or coverage at all, besides the occasional story that would come out Canadians don't even miss the NHL (because they just watched juniors and what not).

ChompChomp is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
  #933
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.


So I was picked for the 2nd chance opportunity to buy giants playoff tix. I didn't see the email till an hour after I got it though. All 3 games were sold out.


Edit. Woohoo! I just checked again and got some game 5 tix! Sro, $52/piece.

Hopefully they in 3 or 4 and I can put that towards some NLCS tix.

Wow nice, how does that work? Thought you were just somehow comped if they didn't get to that particular game.


With only six games left it's time to start talking playoffs! What do you guys think of our chances against the Nats, Reds, and Braves/Cardinals/whoever?

And a question about the new format, is it the same as previous years in that (in the likely event that SF finishes as the #3 seed) we will play whichever divison winner contains the team that wins the one game playoff? So for example if the Braves win then we'd play the Nats?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
  #934
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Wow nice, how does that work? Thought you were just somehow comped if they didn't get to that particular game.


With only six games left it's time to start talking playoffs! What do you guys think of our chances against the Nats, Reds, and Braves/Cardinals/whoever?

And a question about the new format, is it the same as previous years in that (in the likely event that SF finishes as the #3 seed) we will play whichever divison winner contains the team that wins the one game playoff? So for example if the Braves win then we'd play the Nats?
I like our chances against anyone. This team is like 2010 with the awesome pitching except it has more offense. Deadly combo in the playoffs. If there is any fear, it's with the Nats as the Giants played horrible against them this season.

As to seeding, if as we expect Giants finish #3 seed, they will play the NLDS against the #2 seed. The #1 seed with play the winner of the one game playoff. The rule that prohibited an division series between two teams from the same division has been abolished. So the Giants as a 3 seed are playing either the Reds or Nats, whichever one does NOT end up with the best record in the NL.

And, as I mentioned in my earlier post that was neglected, for this season only, the Division Series is 2-3 format, with lower seed opening at home, which I said the Giants need to make sure they are 3 seed (looks like it's pretty much a lock now), because having the first two at home in a best of 5 is huge (Recall 1997 when NL West Champs Giants opened at Wild Card Marlins in a 2-3 format division series...and got swept).


Last edited by ChompChomp: 09-28-2012 at 11:03 AM.
ChompChomp is online now  
Old
09-28-2012, 11:20 AM
  #935
Shape
Go Sharks :(
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Across from the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoodshlatters View Post
i think everyone got picked for the second chance tickets. also there is not even a possibility of a game 3 unless they catch the reds or nats in the standings
sonofa*****!! Forgot about that stupid 2/3 format. Oh well, I was hoping for a sweep regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP
Wow nice, how does that work? Thought you were just somehow comped if they didn't get to that particular game.
Well, I don't know for sure. Just kind of assuming. If they want to give me the money back I would hope they would also give me an option to just put that money towards NLCS tix.

Shape is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
  #936
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot
 
sharksohnoes!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yayarea
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Anyone going to the Quakes game tomorrow? Scored free tickets.

sharksohnoes! is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  #937
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I like our chances against anyone. This team is like 2010 with the awesome pitching except it has more offense. Deadly combo in the playoffs. If there is any fear, it's with the Nats as the Giants played horrible against them this season.

As to seeding, if as we expect Giants finish #3 seed, they will play the NLDS against the #2 seed. The #1 seed with play the winner of the one game playoff. The rule that prohibited an division series between two teams from the same division has been abolished. So the Giants as a 3 seed are playing either the Reds or Nats, whichever one does NOT end up with the best record in the NL.

And, as I mentioned in my earlier post that was neglected, for this season only, the Division Series is 2-3 format, with lower seed opening at home, which I said the Giants need to make sure they are 3 seed (looks like it's pretty much a lock now), because having the first two at home in a best of 5 is huge (Recall 1997 when NL West Champs Giants opened at Wild Card Marlins in a 2-3 format division series...and got swept).

Thanks for the info.


I don't think this pitching staff is as good as 2010's, especially with Lincecum struggling and Sanchez gone (people forget just how good he was that season), but the offense is obviously much better to the point where I think this is a better overall team.

And I noticed that earlier post, odd that they are only using the 2-3 for one year. With that format in place and condering how badly the Nats own us right now, it seems like playing the Reds would be the ideal scenario. That bandbox of a stadium won't come into play until game 3.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline  
Old
09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
  #938
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Thanks for the info.


I don't think this pitching staff is as good as 2010's, especially with Lincecum struggling and Sanchez gone (people forget just how good he was that season), but the offense is obviously much better to the point where I think this is a better overall team.
2010 Playoff Rotation: Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, (then Sanchez, who did lose the only WS game for Giants in 2010) [I know that actually the order had Sanchez at 3, but in the playoffs, MadBum outpitched Sanchez, especially WS]

2012: Not sure about the rotation, but the top 3 pitchers are Cain, Madbum, and Vogelsong.

Sure 2010's top 3 > 2012's top 3, but by how much? And is that top 3 the best top 3 among NL playoff teams? Also, in 2012 Zito isn't half bad and your #5 is Lincecum, a two time Cy Young Award Winner, who has been pitching well as of late and knowing Bochy, I think if the Giants make a deep run you will see Lincecum get a start.

Seems like they are deeper SP wise in 2012. Bullpen is still really good like 2010.

Quote:
And I noticed that earlier post, odd that they are only using the 2-3 for one year.
The whole 2-3 for this year only was supposedly because the schedule didn't allow for an extra travel day for 2-2-1 because of the extra day(s) needed for the 1 game WC round. I assume they don't just want to push the schedule out for fear that going deeper into winter could be problematic in terms of rain outs and what not.


Last edited by ChompChomp: 09-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
ChompChomp is online now  
Old
09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
  #939
likewall32
**putt meem hear**
 
likewall32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
Anyone going to the Quakes game tomorrow? Scored free tickets.
I'll be there with the Ultras.

likewall32 is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 01:28 PM
  #940
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
2010 Playoff Rotation: Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, (then Sanchez, who did lose the only WS game for Giants in 2010) [I know that actually the order had Sanchez at 3, but in the playoffs, MadBum outpitched Sanchez, especially WS]

2012: Not sure about the rotation, but the top 3 pitchers are Cain, Madbum, and Vogelsong.

Sure 2010's top 3 > 2012's top 3, but by how much? And is that top 3 the best top 3 among NL playoff teams? Also, in 2012 Zito isn't half bad and your #5 is Lincecum, a two time Cy Young Award Winner, who has been pitching well as of late and knowing Bochy, I think if the Giants make a deep run you will see Lincecum get a start.

Seems like they are deeper SP wise in 2012. Bullpen is still really good like 2010.

I doubt Bochy goes with a 5 man rotation, and if he does Zito or Vogelsong will be the #5, not Lincecum. You still have to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially with how well he pitched in the 2010 playoffs. If you're looking at the rotation as a four man unit like I think it will be, then it's:

2010 - (Cy-Young caliber) Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, MadBum
2012 - Cain, MadBum, (struggling) Lincecum, Vogelsong/Zito


As much as I love the current group, I'd take the 2010 foursome all-day. Like you said the bullpen is still great and the offense is much better, so while I think the 2010 top 4 is better, I still think the 2012 team is better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
The whole 2-3 for this year only was supposedly because the schedule didn't allow for an extra travel day for 2-2-1 because of the extra day(s) needed for the 1 game WC round. I assume they don't just want to push the schedule out for fear that going deeper into winter could be problematic in terms of rain outs and what not.

That's still a very odd explanation. Fear of an extra day or two of travel was enough to screw with the entire format?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  #941
68 Z-28
Registered User
 
68 Z-28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
Bochy has already said that he would be having one of the starters in the bullpen for use as a long reliever if needed this post season. Question just is WHO? Cain and Bumgarner are out. Lincecum is LIKELY safe IMO as the number 3/4 starter. I would almost say that I would rather have Zito as the other 3/4 over Vogelsong, but I am not sure.

68 Z-28 is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
  #942
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,530
vCash: 500
Hope not Zito. That fool will choke.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
  #943
Shape
Go Sharks :(
 
Shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Across from the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 5,480
vCash: 500
The AAAAAAAAAmazin' A's!!!

Shape is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 06:46 PM
  #944
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 628
Anyone else rooting for Miguel Cabrera for triple crown? That'll be really cool.

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
  #945
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 50

Bizz06 is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
  #946
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways
 
Oppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 157
That pushup goal celebration is pretty strange but I'll take it!

Oppa is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 11:34 PM
  #947
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways
 
Oppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 157
crazy game, Quakes score and tie the game in stoppage time...again

Oppa is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 11:44 PM
  #948
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club
 
Plowevelski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Giants, Dynasty
Country: Madagascar
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
crazy game, Quakes score and tie the game in stoppage time...again
Lenny!!!!

now 9 90+ mins stoppage time goals. We cannot lose at Buckshaw. Team of destiny no doubt. I love this team.

Plowevelski is offline  
Old
09-29-2012, 11:52 PM
  #949
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH
 
TrappedInFullerton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 13,393
vCash: 500
Love it! Love watching the Quakes. Can't ever stop watching until the final whistle with this team.

TrappedInFullerton is offline  
Old
09-30-2012, 12:24 AM
  #950
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot
 
sharksohnoes!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yayarea
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Just got back from the Quakes game. Another nail biter. I wish the Sharks had someone half as clutch as Lenny.

sharksohnoes! is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.