HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Sharks Nor Cal Sports Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Franchise13

vCash: 500
Real refs have deal in place. Hopefully done by Friday so they can do this Sunday's games.

Might've had something to do with the 70k+ voicemails left overnight from Mon Night to Tuesday morning opening at the NFL offices by random people, lol.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Real refs have deal in place. Hopefully done by Friday so they can do this Sunday's games.

Might've had something to do with the 70k+ voicemails left overnight from Mon Night to Tuesday morning opening at the NFL offices by random people, lol.
Oh really? So by next week, sports media will find something else to cover other than the NHL lockout.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Oh really? So by next week, sports media will find something else to cover other than the NHL lockout.
Wait the sports media knows that the NHL has lockout? Do they even know what the NHL even is?

Old
09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
I know your being facetious but ... NBA pre season starts this weekend! On top of Conference Play in NCAA picking up etc...

Old
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I know your being facetious but ... NBA pre season starts this weekend! On top of Conference Play in NCAA picking up etc...
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.

So I was picked for the 2nd chance opportunity to buy giants playoff tix. I didn't see the email till an hour after I got it though. All 3 games were sold out.

Edit. Woohoo! I just checked again and got some game 5 tix! Sro, $52/piece.

Hopefully they in 3 or 4 and I can put that towards some NLCS tix.

Last edited by Shape: 09-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
osgoodshlatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Along with nfl, college football AND baseball playoffs. Why would they devote any time to a sport they don't devote any time to in the first place? I'm sick of lockouts and glad its being ignored.

So I was picked for the 2nd chance opportunity to buy giants playoff tix. I didn't see the email till an hour after I got it though. All 3 games were sold out.

i think everyone got picked for the second chance tickets. also there is not even a possibility of a game 3 unless they catch the reds or nats in the standings

Old
09-28-2012, 12:36 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
My point is that people are crediting media and social media for pressure in helping get the NFL ref lockout over. Would be nice if there was media and social media pressure to end the NHL lockout. I distinctly remember the 04-05 lockout not having much media pressure or coverage at all, besides the occasional story that would come out Canadians don't even miss the NHL (because they just watched juniors and what not).

Old
09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Wow nice, how does that work? Thought you were just somehow comped if they didn't get to that particular game.

With only six games left it's time to start talking playoffs! What do you guys think of our chances against the Nats, Reds, and Braves/Cardinals/whoever?

And a question about the new format, is it the same as previous years in that (in the likely event that SF finishes as the #3 seed) we will play whichever divison winner contains the team that wins the one game playoff? So for example if the Braves win then we'd play the Nats?

Old
09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Wow nice, how does that work? Thought you were just somehow comped if they didn't get to that particular game.

With only six games left it's time to start talking playoffs! What do you guys think of our chances against the Nats, Reds, and Braves/Cardinals/whoever?

And a question about the new format, is it the same as previous years in that (in the likely event that SF finishes as the #3 seed) we will play whichever divison winner contains the team that wins the one game playoff? So for example if the Braves win then we'd play the Nats?
I like our chances against anyone. This team is like 2010 with the awesome pitching except it has more offense. Deadly combo in the playoffs. If there is any fear, it's with the Nats as the Giants played horrible against them this season.

As to seeding, if as we expect Giants finish #3 seed, they will play the NLDS against the #2 seed. The #1 seed with play the winner of the one game playoff. The rule that prohibited an division series between two teams from the same division has been abolished. So the Giants as a 3 seed are playing either the Reds or Nats, whichever one does NOT end up with the best record in the NL.

And, as I mentioned in my earlier post that was neglected, for this season only, the Division Series is 2-3 format, with lower seed opening at home, which I said the Giants need to make sure they are 3 seed (looks like it's pretty much a lock now), because having the first two at home in a best of 5 is huge (Recall 1997 when NL West Champs Giants opened at Wild Card Marlins in a 2-3 format division series...and got swept).

Last edited by ChompChomp: 09-28-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoodshlatters View Post
i think everyone got picked for the second chance tickets. also there is not even a possibility of a game 3 unless they catch the reds or nats in the standings
sonofa*****!! Forgot about that stupid 2/3 format. Oh well, I was hoping for a sweep regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP
Well, I don't know for sure. Just kind of assuming. If they want to give me the money back I would hope they would also give me an option to just put that money towards NLCS tix.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Anyone going to the Quakes game tomorrow? Scored free tickets.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
I like our chances against anyone. This team is like 2010 with the awesome pitching except it has more offense. Deadly combo in the playoffs. If there is any fear, it's with the Nats as the Giants played horrible against them this season.

As to seeding, if as we expect Giants finish #3 seed, they will play the NLDS against the #2 seed. The #1 seed with play the winner of the one game playoff. The rule that prohibited an division series between two teams from the same division has been abolished. So the Giants as a 3 seed are playing either the Reds or Nats, whichever one does NOT end up with the best record in the NL.

And, as I mentioned in my earlier post that was neglected, for this season only, the Division Series is 2-3 format, with lower seed opening at home, which I said the Giants need to make sure they are 3 seed (looks like it's pretty much a lock now), because having the first two at home in a best of 5 is huge (Recall 1997 when NL West Champs Giants opened at Wild Card Marlins in a 2-3 format division series...and got swept).

Thanks for the info.

I don't think this pitching staff is as good as 2010's, especially with Lincecum struggling and Sanchez gone (people forget just how good he was that season), but the offense is obviously much better to the point where I think this is a better overall team.

And I noticed that earlier post, odd that they are only using the 2-3 for one year. With that format in place and condering how badly the Nats own us right now, it seems like playing the Reds would be the ideal scenario. That bandbox of a stadium won't come into play until game 3.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Thanks for the info.

I don't think this pitching staff is as good as 2010's, especially with Lincecum struggling and Sanchez gone (people forget just how good he was that season), but the offense is obviously much better to the point where I think this is a better overall team.
2010 Playoff Rotation: Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, (then Sanchez, who did lose the only WS game for Giants in 2010) [I know that actually the order had Sanchez at 3, but in the playoffs, MadBum outpitched Sanchez, especially WS]

2012: Not sure about the rotation, but the top 3 pitchers are Cain, Madbum, and Vogelsong.

Sure 2010's top 3 > 2012's top 3, but by how much? And is that top 3 the best top 3 among NL playoff teams? Also, in 2012 Zito isn't half bad and your #5 is Lincecum, a two time Cy Young Award Winner, who has been pitching well as of late and knowing Bochy, I think if the Giants make a deep run you will see Lincecum get a start.

Seems like they are deeper SP wise in 2012. Bullpen is still really good like 2010.

Quote:
And I noticed that earlier post, odd that they are only using the 2-3 for one year.
The whole 2-3 for this year only was supposedly because the schedule didn't allow for an extra travel day for 2-2-1 because of the extra day(s) needed for the 1 game WC round. I assume they don't just want to push the schedule out for fear that going deeper into winter could be problematic in terms of rain outs and what not.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 09-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
Anyone going to the Quakes game tomorrow? Scored free tickets.
I'll be there with the Ultras.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
2010 Playoff Rotation: Lincecum, Cain, MadBum, (then Sanchez, who did lose the only WS game for Giants in 2010) [I know that actually the order had Sanchez at 3, but in the playoffs, MadBum outpitched Sanchez, especially WS]

2012: Not sure about the rotation, but the top 3 pitchers are Cain, Madbum, and Vogelsong.

Sure 2010's top 3 > 2012's top 3, but by how much? And is that top 3 the best top 3 among NL playoff teams? Also, in 2012 Zito isn't half bad and your #5 is Lincecum, a two time Cy Young Award Winner, who has been pitching well as of late and knowing Bochy, I think if the Giants make a deep run you will see Lincecum get a start.

Seems like they are deeper SP wise in 2012. Bullpen is still really good like 2010.

I doubt Bochy goes with a 5 man rotation, and if he does Zito or Vogelsong will be the #5, not Lincecum. You still have to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially with how well he pitched in the 2010 playoffs. If you're looking at the rotation as a four man unit like I think it will be, then it's:

2010 - (Cy-Young caliber) Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, MadBum
2012 - Cain, MadBum, (struggling) Lincecum, Vogelsong/Zito

As much as I love the current group, I'd take the 2010 foursome all-day. Like you said the bullpen is still great and the offense is much better, so while I think the 2010 top 4 is better, I still think the 2012 team is better.

Quote:
The whole 2-3 for this year only was supposedly because the schedule didn't allow for an extra travel day for 2-2-1 because of the extra day(s) needed for the 1 game WC round. I assume they don't just want to push the schedule out for fear that going deeper into winter could be problematic in terms of rain outs and what not.

That's still a very odd explanation. Fear of an extra day or two of travel was enough to screw with the entire format?

Old
09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
68 Z-28

Bochy has already said that he would be having one of the starters in the bullpen for use as a long reliever if needed this post season. Question just is WHO? Cain and Bumgarner are out. Lincecum is LIKELY safe IMO as the number 3/4 starter. I would almost say that I would rather have Zito as the other 3/4 over Vogelsong, but I am not sure.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Kitten Mittons

Hope not Zito. That fool will choke.

Old
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Shape

The AAAAAAAAAmazin' A's!!!

Old
09-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Anyone else rooting for Miguel Cabrera for triple crown? That'll be really cool.

Old
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50

Old
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
That pushup goal celebration is pretty strange but I'll take it!

Old
09-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
crazy game, Quakes score and tie the game in stoppage time...again

Old
09-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
crazy game, Quakes score and tie the game in stoppage time...again
Lenny!!!!

now 9 90+ mins stoppage time goals. We cannot lose at Buckshaw. Team of destiny no doubt. I love this team.

Old
09-29-2012, 11:52 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Love it! Love watching the Quakes. Can't ever stop watching until the final whistle with this team.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:24 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Just got back from the Quakes game. Another nail biter. I wish the Sharks had someone half as clutch as Lenny.

Closed Thread