HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All Purpose NHL Lockout Talk: Fehr: NHL season could start without labor deal

Old
06-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Burke "there is no F***ing Pittsburgh model"
Bettman "Every 6-7 years there will be"

Best chance for Mackinnon!

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

If the NHL goes into a lockout next season, do the years on a players contract still run down?

For example, MacArthur is a UFA after next season. If the NHL does not have a season, will he still become a UFA on July 1st, 2013? Or will he still have 1 year remaining on his contract?

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Express View Post
If the NHL goes into a lockout next season, do the years on a players contract still run down?

For example, MacArthur is a UFA after next season. If the NHL does not have a season, will he still become a UFA on July 1st, 2013? Or will he still have 1 year remaining on his contract?
Yup, that's correct.

The one thing I'm scared about is the KHL. In 2004-2005, they were just another stopgap Euro league. Now, they're a powerhouse and if as many players go there as I think I do, it may mean trouble if several stay there. The Lokomotif plane crash put a huge black mark on the KHL though.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
This league will be a joke if another lockout occurs, I dont care how short it will be. Bettman's #1 priority should be to start on time
Absolutely, it would look exceptionally bad since we just had the lockout, and the NFL and NBA were able to salvage their seasons.

It would be quite the disappointment thats for sure.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Yup, that's correct.

The one thing I'm scared about is the KHL. In 2004-2005, they were just another stopgap Euro league. Now, they're a powerhouse and if as many players go there as I think I do, it may mean trouble if several stay there. The Lokomotif plane crash put a huge black mark on the KHL though.
Thanks!

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:54 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

What more do the owners want? The players gave radical changes and pretty much gave the owners what they wanted. Now the owners can't handle the deal they forced down the players throat? Cant see the players giving in as much this time now that fans know the owners got their contract last time. Public opinion should be against the greedy owners IMO.
You just can't keep having this many labour disruptions in a sport that's already tenuous in some parts of the US, especially if it's locking out the players after the contract you "won" expired

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Apparently, that date is the first date of the new TV deal in the US. Thus the date has pertinence.
Well, it's the first date for the main NBC network next season (actually, Black Friday is, the day after Thanksgiving). There would be games on NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus) before that. And the new TV deal started this past season.

But any date that anyone speculates about is just a guess. And it seems clear to me that this guess comes from someone looking at last year's NBA lockout and seeing that it ended in time for the league to start their shortened season on Christmas which is the date of the first ABC game of the season. So, they simply looked for the equivalent date on the NHL calendar which would be Black Friday.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
What more do the owners want? The players gave radical changes and pretty much gave the owners what they wanted. Now the owners can't handle the deal they forced down the players throat? Cant see the players giving in as much this time now that fans know the owners got their contract last time. Public opinion should be against the greedy owners IMO.
You just can't keep having this many labour disruptions in a sport that's already tenuous in some parts of the US, especially if it's locking out the players after the contract you "won" expired
The general belief is that owners want to refine the system they got in place in the last CBA. That would be things like reducing the players' share of hockey-related revenues (similar to the reductions won by the NFL and NBA in their new deals), possibly changes in how the cap floor and ceiling are calculated, possibly new limits on contracts to discourage or eliminate these long-term deals with very low salary years at the end (that won't be played because the player retires) resulting in a lower cap hit, and so on.

Also, remember that everything you hear that the players or the owners is trying to get is not necessarily something they really want or at the level they really want it. Those are just negotiating points and they are likely to be willing to settle for once. For example, if the owners say they want the players share reduced to 50%, it's very possible that they'll be willing to settle for 53% or 54%.

No CBA is going to be perfect. No document that is negotiated between two sides is going to be. It's a compromise. And the players did gain a few things in the last deal: earlier free agency, much higher minimum salaries, no movement clauses, and so on.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fehr-nh...SwodbN5hx7vLYF

Quote:
Fehr: NHL season could start without labor deal

CHICAGO (AP) -- The NHL season could start without a new labor agreement if both sides agree to continue talks beyond the Sept. 15 expiration of the current deal.
NHL players association executive director Don Fehr said Wednesday ''the players haven't considered what they would do on Sept. 15 or any other date if no agreement is in place.''
If there is no agreement by the expiration date, work could go on under the old pact if management and players agree to that, Fehr said. The regular season is scheduled to start on Oct. 11.
Fehr, the former head of the baseball players' union, said there were a number of times during his 33 years there when a season went on without a collective bargaining agreement.

06-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Not going to out-media savvy Fehr huh?

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Tony Ambrogio ‏@SNTonyAmbrogio
NHL represented at CBA talks today by Bettman, Daly & Brendan Shanahan. Mathieu Schneider from PA also at table.

Tony Ambrogio ‏@SNTonyAmbrogio
Mathieu Schneider and Brendand Shanahan were teammates in Detroit. Now on opposite side of negotiating table.

NHL ‏@NHL
#NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly's statement regarding today's collective bargaining session in New York:

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Terry Koshan ‏@koshtorontosun
Fehr issues statement confirming meeting and saying players will review initial presentation from the NHL. Further talks later next week

So far progress.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Terry Koshan ‏@koshtorontosun
Fehr issues statement confirming meeting and saying players will review initial presentation from the NHL. Further talks later next week

So far progress.
Hopefully the relationship between the two is not so bad that one side listening to the other's first proposal is considered progress.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Hopefully the relationship between the two is not so bad that one side listening to the other's first proposal is considered progress.
hey a week ago we had no talks on what was going on.

so far 8 - 6 members came from the NHLPA I believe. Reviews are happening and meeting again next week. I am relieved the talks have started.