HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you now get disappointed when Burke doesn't make any major trades?

Old
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Of course i do. Trades are pretty exciting for me, but I'd rather burke make huge trades once in a while and win than have him try to make a huge splash every year just to make the headlines for the fans.

Not that any gm does that, but I'm sure you all get the point
This. I get excited but nervous seeing "leafs trade.."

I still remember my gf waking me up to tell me the Dion trade.

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
How does one get angry at nothing? Seems like hard work.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Confucius

nope. I`d much rather see him draft and sign UFA`s. If he really wanted to take advantage of MLSE cash. He`d overpay for top UFA`s and nevermind about screwing the other teams. They hate him (us) anyway.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:38 PM
notdoneyet

I get tired of missing out on 1st line players like Richards, Carter and Nash to name a few.
These type of players are not on the market on a regular basis and when they are you have to take advantage of it.
I get tired of hearing about not giving up prospects for any of these players
but not every prospect will make the big club and sometimes you have to give to get.

I think its great we have Percy,Blacker,Holzer,D'amigo,Biggs,Ross,Colborne,K adri,Frattin,McKegg,Ashton
but again only about 2 of these will make a difference with the big club.

notdoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Ever since Brian Burke made the trade for Dion Phaneuf is it fair to say that as Leafs fans we sometimes get our hopes up about him making another major trade like that? Now I am sure part of the reason for the hype is the trade rumours we read online, no matter if they are true or false it gets people talking. So when he doesn't make any major trades at the deadline or the draft are you disappointed since he's been able to make them in the past or do you realize most of the trade talk was false and move on?
Many posters claim Leafs are building through the draft and developing their own talent.

If that is true, than there is no need for big trades of big UFA signings if the plan is to build internally, unless of course it isn't.

I've been saying "play the kids" for years and build through the entry draft, so when Burke doesn't mortgage the future and deal picks and prospects away for vets its fine by me.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Many posters claim Leafs are building through the draft and developing their own talent.

If that is true, than there is no need for big trades of big UFA signings if the plan is to build internally, unless of course it isn't.

I've been saying "play the kids" for years and build through the entry draft, so when Burke doesn't mortgage the future and deal picks and prospects away for vets its fine by me.
You've been saying "play the kids" but screaming bloody murder because they don't wim as much as you wish when they play the kids.

You opinion is so painful to me, it makes me want to drink vodka and take Vicodin to make me ease the pain.

I'm better now.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
You've been saying "play the kids" but screaming bloody murder because they don't wim as much as you wish when they play the kids.

You opinion is so painful to me, it makes me want to drink vodka and take Vicodin to make me ease the pain.

I'm better now.
LMFAO !!!

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneyet View Post
I get tired of missing out on 1st line players like Richards, Carter and Nash to name a few.
These type of players are not on the market on a regular basis and when they are you have to take advantage of it.
I get tired of hearing about not giving up prospects for any of these players
but not every prospect will make the big club and sometimes you have to give to get.

I think its great we have Percy,Blacker,Holzer,D'amigo,Biggs,Ross,Colborne,K adri,Frattin,McKegg,Ashton
but again only about 2 of these will make a difference with the big club.
But you also need the right players and not just the players who are available. That's where Bourke's patience comes in. He has a blueprint and he's following it. I don't think Jeff Carter matched his blueprint, but he has a player or two in mind who do.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
LMFAO !!!
Everything is happening.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
so trading away Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner wasn't a major trade?

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Imagine four years ago...

leafs fans "Brian Burke's our new GM. Highest paid GM in league history. Given the front office he's putting together, his ability to spend right to the cap ceiling, and the highest paid scouting department ever... in four years, we'll either be a flat out ELITE team in the standings, or have built a truly remarkable and legendary prospect base."

mysterious stranger "Hypothetically... what if in 4 years the leafs finish 5th last in the entire league, and STILL don't have a single blue chip prospect?"

Be honest... what would the typical leafs fans response have been back then?
I like this post. It warrants its own thread IMO.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Ghostrider1174

Gms shouldnt make any deals for the sake of making them. Cant be expecting trades every day. Burke will surprise this summer cause there alot more pieces available than before. As for people discussing trade deadline thats Over so dont even mention that LOL

Ghostrider1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
so trading away Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner wasn't a major trade?
At the time? No, wasn't at all. Never got me excited, seemed very minor. We give up a defenceman who loved turning the puck over for an alright prospect and a salary dump. In hindsight, the trade was major, as Loops was 6th in the NHL in points before he got hurt this year and Gardiner was vey good as a rookie.

We tried for Schultz but "settled" for Gardiner. Now we have a chance to get both

King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:57 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
nope. I`d much rather see him draft and sign UFA`s. If he really wanted to take advantage of MLSE cash. He`d overpay for top UFA`s and nevermind about screwing the other teams. They hate him (us) anyway.
Not a great strategy in a cap world...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Dreakmur

Both of Burke's major trades have kind of back-fired, so I'm kind of hoping he gets fired before trying anything else significant.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I think the Kessel trade was one of the worst trades I've ever seen. To think that we could have our potential 1C, and 1D... ugh... it's sad to think about. I get that Kessel is a fantastic offensive player, and I enjoy having him on the team- he's a really exciting player, which is awesome. But man... people say things like "Everyone thought the team was going to be better". Did they? I think most of us realized that the team was garbage, even with Kessel.

The reason I say this is because Burke shouldn't pull off blockbuster trades unless he can rip people off (ala Beauch trade [mind you- Anaheim got a good player in return]). I never want to see Burke give up such a large price in futures for a 'now' player.

I like big shakeups for the team. I like watching a new player. But ugh... things never go in our favour.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

"Do you now get disappointed when Burke doesn't make any major trades?"

As opposed to before? Or at all? As opposed to Burke making major trades all the time? or minor trades? Like...???

What is with these questions that seem designed to bash Burke in every possible way and at every possible opportunity? Including the extreme in hypothetical situations that could be applied to any GM but wouldn't by any rationally thinking person...

I like the big deals he's made.

I'll like him even more when he can make GMs accept every deal he offers, and when any player he wants signs with Toronto at a discount. How's that?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
"Do you now get disappointed when Burke doesn't make any major trades?"

As opposed to before? Or at all? As opposed to Burke making major trades all the time? or minor trades? Like...???

What is with these questions that seem designed to bash Burke in every possible way and at every possible opportunity? Including the extreme in hypothetical situations that could be applied to any GM but wouldn't by any rationally thinking person...

I like the big deals he's made.

I'll like him even more when he can make GMs accept every deal he offers, and when any player he wants signs with Toronto at a discount. How's that?

Actually I wasn't trying to bash Burke at all. However considering that in Janurary 2010 he makes the trade for Phaneuf, then in February 2011 he makes the trade for Lupul/Gardiner. Plus says he likes to makes his trades before the deadline and this past season he doesn't do those types of deals it might get people disappointed. So maybe some Leafs fans were thinking he would have done that again this year given what he done in the past and how he likes to work.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:06 PM
jrgtml67

Just heard in intermission of LA game that Crosby is close to a HUGE deal with the PENS if this is true Staal is gone; only problem is I think the panel is correct and he will end up in Carolina, regardless of how many guys Carolina has to give up....that would really stink for Toronto and the rest of the East both Staals on the same team is a scary thought....that being said the reality of a multiplayer deal with Toronto and Van is looking more and more likely. My thought is Burke goes big gets Lu and Kesler...taking care of the goalie and center in one shot.

I also just heard that Howsen is probably going to get the boot in CBJ which makes perfect sense the guy is a moron. But that again could screw over the leafs if Burke is going hard for Nash...and I think he his, infact last I heard...since leafs have been golfing Burke has been talking to CBJ.

As for if I would be upset if Burke didnt make a giant deal. That would dpend what you call big. There is no mystery we need a center, goalie and the dman is basically in the books I can almost guarantee schultz is coming to town. If schultz comes, that alone opens more doors for Burke. Having another great young dman that would play with Jake most likely means that the leafs could give up another NHL dman in a trade. Our biggest chips on the blue in order are Gunnar, Schenn, Franson and Liles...anyone thinking Gardiner is going to go needs a CAT scan. Gunnar is our best d without doubt, regardless of Schenns play last year he is very young and has tons of potential and yr after yr leads the team in hits. Liles would become expendable if we get Schultz and you could argue having Jake already makes him tradeable. For whatever reason Randy didnt play Franson all that much and it looks like he will be out the door. Now realistically...dpending on the player(s) Burke is trading for I think you will see Komi gone (esp if we get a big contract back like LU) Franson for certain and then its between Luke and Gunnar and I would rather Luke be playing on our team still..Burke has said time and again we lack size and hard hitters, Luke is just that so it makes no sense that Burke would let him go.

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I think the Kessel trade was one of the worst trades I've ever seen. To think that we could have our potential 1C, and 1D... ugh... it's sad to think about. I get that Kessel is a fantastic offensive player, and I enjoy having him on the team- he's a really exciting player, which is awesome. But man... people say things like "Everyone thought the team was going to be better". Did they? I think most of us realized that the team was garbage, even with Kessel.

The reason I say this is because Burke shouldn't pull off blockbuster trades unless he can rip people off (ala Beauch trade [mind you- Anaheim got a good player in return]). I never want to see Burke give up such a large price in futures for a 'now' player.

I like big shakeups for the team. I like watching a new player. But ugh... things never go in our favour.
You haven't been around to long If you think the Kessel trade is the worst you have ever seen. From a Leaf perspective it is not even on the radar screen.

Last edited by Northern Dancer: 06-09-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
You haven't been around to long I'd you think the Kessel trade is the worst you have ever seen. From a Leaf perspective it is not even on the radar screen.
The Kubina-Exelby deal was worse. The McCabe-MVR deal was awful. Holleweg, Mayers were terrible. Hell, and those were all within 1 season of each other.

toskala, Raycroft, Yannick Perrault, Kordic, Sitler were all on my list.

And while it wasn't the worst value, the trade of my hero.

"The Punch is out to lunch, but not to McDonalds." That was a sign at MLG after Lanny was moved.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
The Kubina-Exelby deal was worse. The McCabe-MVR deal was awful. Holleweg, Mayers were terrible. Hell, and those were all within 1 season of each other.

toskala, Raycroft, Yannick Perrault, Kordic, Sitler were all on my list.

And while it wasn't the worst value, the trade of my hero.

"The Punch is out to lunch, but not to McDonalds." That was a sign at MLG after Lanny was moved.
Don't forget the absolute worst, the Kurvers trade.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Don't forget the absolute worst, the Kurvers trade.
sigh, yea, I know.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:54 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

So since he hasn't traded away picks and prospects for vets since he has got here, you must love Burke. You must love him even more with all the opportunities he has given to rookies and prospects to play. You also should be fine with our finish last year, because playing the kids means losing is fine.

BTW, can you please show me a team, any team, that went 3-4 years playing prospects, and didn't sign UFAs or make trades? That would be great.

Last edited by TMI: 06-11-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: personal attack
JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Coatsy79

vCash: 619
I think I'd be happy this offseason if we were to get Shultz, draft a centre with potential and somehow get a goalie to stabilise the tending situation for a few years

It'd be nice to have consistent goaltending and build from there

Coatsy79 is offline   Reply With Quote