HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consequences of Caring

Old
06-08-2012, 08:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
The Consequences of Caring

Great read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...quences-caring

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Holy crap that was a great read!

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
jml87

Yeah, it's amazing how much sports effects us. I wish I could just turn it off and not care about the team, but it's impossible. I remember crying so much when I was little like my best friends had just lost. But if they win, it'll be just the most amazing feeling in the world.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Extraordinary article. My daughter is 4, and doesn't really care about sports yet. She yells "SCORE!!!" and "GOAL!!!" and various times, but so far she doesn't have the slightest interest. I fear the day she does, and at the same time, I'm hoping for that day too.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
T308
HFBoards Sponsor

My wife and I sit right behind Bill. The look on his little girls face after game 4 was heart wrenching.

T308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Freaking fantastic article. Easily my favorite Kings article of the season. Well done, Bill.

Thrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
TROLLPOSO

Now if only stopped loving Boston teams.......

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

My parents got hooked on the Kings during the Playoff run. They have never been sports people and never wanted to fall in love with them because it's too much stress, but it finally happened this year. When I called my Mom after Game 3 she had literally lost her voice. They tape all the games so they can rewatch them again in the morning and they are the biggest homers. They get mad because all the local station favor the Devils and I keep trying to tell them it's to be expected because you live in the Tri-state area, lol. They also get mad at the NBC announces when they give the Devils too much praise.

So part of me identifies with the writer of that article. I feel bad getting them wrapped up in the Kings because they are not good at dealing with the stress. But it's also nice that they get genuine happiness when the Kings win. I just keep telling them they have no idea what's it has been like to truly care about the Kings all these years. If losing 3 games stresses you out, let me tell you...I have seen some ****.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
If losing 3 games stresses you out, let me tell you...I have seen some ****.
This x 1000!

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:37 AM
niomosy

The story about the daughter is interested despite the generalization of Lakers fans. As a Los Angeles native and Lakers fan since I was old enough to care about sports, the guy lumping the fans in together like that is simply showing that he's a tool.

Outside that, my daughter's quickly becoming a Lakers fan having been hooked while watching a regular season game while out to lunch one Saturday. She's now got a youth-sized basketball and is looking to take a rec center class this summer. We've also started going to the park to play a bit though at her age, the hoop's still very intimidating so we tend to work on passing and dribbling. She's stuck with it and I try to keep it to smaller amounts of time to keep interest up. So far, so good. We've already talked about going to see a Sparks game as well. She's excited to see professional ladies playing basketball and tickets are pretty reasonable.

The other sport she latched on to was football. I was able to watch games on my phone thanks to Verizon having a deal with the NFL so we'd do that on Sundays (we have no cable or OTA reception, intentionally).

Hockey hasn't been a huge thing for her. She's more excited that our local hockey team is doing well than anything. It's a start.

niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:03 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

After moving out here to Colorado not too long ago, and with two daughters under a year old, I'm definitely saving this article for when they want to become Avs, Rockies, Nuggets, and Broncos fans.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

I love her Dad for teaching her young what it feels like to be a part of a team's wins, and their losses. Also glad she found and fell in love with the Kings Hoping they can make her very happy this year.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Jetteroheller

A superb article indeed.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:47 AM
nocturn

Great read man, wow.

Its almost as if I was revisiting Nov 8, 1975...My first Kings game. My dad is/was a HUGE Rangers fan being from Dumont, NJ and at the time was stationed at March AFB as a F-4 Phantom pilot and 3 tour Vietnam Vet in his mid/late 20's. He had just gotten out of the Air Force and we settled in Canyon Crest, Riverside (Shout out to VonBloTTo! Go Dragons!).

He would carry me to every Kings home game against Rangers/Islanders/Sabres until 1984. At that point, my parents divorced and I moved to Santa Barbara and became a typical teen boy that only cared about smoking weed, chasing chicks and how long the rides were at Rincon. He HATED the fact that against his will, and in true "Anti-Establishment" fashion, I loved the Kings more than his beloved Rags. Yet he still bought me my first Kings swag in 76'...a overly tight #16, Dionne Sweater and a Corrigan, Carr and Murdoch signed puck.

Fast-forward to now, Im in my 40's and in Virginia still cheering the Kings and Pop is in his late 60's, in Redlands and still cheering his Rags. But I know because of me, he has a soft spot for the Kings and is secretly cheering them on....for me...because of what he inadvertently did 36 years ago.

Last edited by nocturn: 06-09-2012 at 08:55 AM.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Great article. Octopus Jedi.

Dat feel when the 49ers blew that lead in the Championship game on a bungled kick return...then to lose in OT on another bungled kick return by the same player. X.x

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote