Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University Question

Old
08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Flamesfan13

vCash: 500
University Question

I'm gonna be attending the university of calgary in the fall. Has anyone taken Anthro 203? If so is it a gpa booster or no

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
thrillhouse99

I have not but I attend the u of c and my advice is to be careful of so called "gpa boosters". I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "I took this class as a gpa booster and I was lucky to make it out with a C."

Anyway, my advice is to find out who is the instructor is (it's listed on the class search on your student centre) and look them up on "rate my professor". It will give you a good idea of how hard or easy the class has been in the past. I feel it's important to let you know that some of the best profs I have had have reputations as "hard markers", I also feel its important to let you know that if you are willing to work hard and attend all your classes achieving the gpa you want shouldn't be a problem, someone is going to get an A in every class, even the hard ones. Conversely people get D's in easy classes all the time because they took it because they thought it was going to be easy and didn't put the work in.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I have not but I attend the u of c and my advice is to be careful of so called "gpa boosters". I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say "I took this class as a gpa booster and I was lucky to make it out with a C."

Anyway, my advice is to find out who is the instructor is (it's listed on the class search on your student centre) and look them up on "rate my professor". It will give you a good idea of how hard or easy the class has been in the past. I feel it's important to let you know that some of the best profs I have had have reputations as "hard markers", I also feel its important to let you know that if you are willing to work hard and attend all your classes achieving the gpa you want shouldn't be a problem, someone is going to get an A in every class, even the hard ones. Conversely people get D's in easy classes all the time because they took it because they thought it was going to be easy and didn't put the work in.
Good post.

Best way to think of these "GPA booster" classes, is that they're classes where it's easier to get an A than others as long as you get you put the same amount of work in that you would for any other course.

Just because it's called a GPA booster doesn't mean that taking the course automatically means your GPA goes up by being registered in it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
I took it back in first year and it was the least favorite of the courses I was taking, so much so that I wasn't giving it any attention and I had to drop it otherwise I might have failed it. The prof was brutal too, I don't think she's around anymore though.

You will always have people telling you that this or that course is easy, but I've learned that at the end of the day if you pick courses that you have an interest in, you will succeed.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:19 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I took it back in first year and it was the least favorite of the courses I was taking, so much so that I wasn't giving it any attention and I had to drop it otherwise I might have failed it. The prof was brutal too, I don't think she's around anymore though.

You will always have people telling you that this or that course is easy, but I've learned that at the end of the day if you pick courses that you have an interest in, you will succeed.
This is what I think. Obviously material that interests you is going to be more readily recalled, require less reading, and the reading isn't as dry and require as much motivation. There's courses that I took that contained information that I read once and remembered for the rest of the semester. It was so interesting is was like watching a movie. Those are the real "GPA boosters".

Personally, psych classes were GPA boosters. All you had to do was read, do the practice questions, re-read the answers before an exam, and attend these weird experiments and you got a 3.0 at least! The actual material was kind of interesting so I didn't need to read it a second time.

Although I heard that film studies classes are actual GPA boosters. Apparently all you do is watch movies and write about them. So all it requires is some writing skills, and even a bad writer can utilize student services editing and come out with an A+ essay.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Music history is what you called a GPA booster

@MarkGio, do the student services actually help you edit your essays?! Why havent I been there yet

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Flamesfan13

Alright thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it. I know that if i put in the time i will do fine.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 04:59 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Music history is what you called a GPA booster

@MarkGio, do the student services actually help you edit your essays?! Why havent I been there yet
They did when I went to school. But I took the bulk of my undergrad at the UofA. I think cost money though. I remember it being cheaper or easier to hire a tutor for some reason because I recall the student services fee being so much a page, but the tutor was like 20 bucks an hour and you were able to get walked through your paper. Certain classes had seminars that allowed you to get your paper edited by a T.A too. I saved a buck sometimes by dating an graduate, but sometimes that cost me in other areas...

Old
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

I always take History courses to boost my GPA lol. Easy stuff these types of courses.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 05:50 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Look more at whether you think something will be interesting rather than simply easy. A relatively easy class that you find so boring you can't pay attention can easily bite you in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Although I heard that film studies classes are actual GPA boosters. Apparently all you do is watch movies and write about them. So all it requires is some writing skills, and even a bad writer can utilize student services editing and come out with an A+ essay.
It's not the hardest thing in the world, but you have to become familiar with an somewhat new set of terminology (mise en scene, different types of shots, pastiche, etc). You also end up watching a lot of films that the average person isn't going to enjoy, so you're putting an extra 2+ hours in per week to waste your time on art films and 'classic cinema' that may not be to your taste.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 06:57 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
I'm gonna be attending the university of calgary in the fall. Has anyone taken Anthro 203? If so is it a gpa booster or no
Beware of trying to find "gpa boosters." Most professors are pretty smart, they earned a doctorate in a subject matter for goodness sake, and recognize someone who is just trying to skate by in a class unrelated to their major and earn an easy grade. That's considered an insult to the instructor and they may take action on that by grading you harder than you hope and passing that information around. Professors do talk and will discuss specific students, their performance and their behaviors, so don't get caught in that trap early on. Just some advice from someone on the other side of the lectern.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:42 PM
FlamesFan18

Im likely attending U of C next year. I am in all of the top classes for grade 12 besides Bio (Math 30-1, Math 31, Chem 30, Physics 30, English 30-1, Social 30-1, Architecture 30). I had an average of 83 in grade 11 but I didnt nearly apply myself as well as I will be this year. My top 2 classes are Math and Social (somewhat, I was weak in the written exams, but aced all the multiple choice exams), my weak class is English (proven in this message) and the rest I am a 75-85 student. Any course suggestions? i have no idea what I want to do.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:03 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Im likely attending U of C next year. I am in all of the top classes for grade 12 besides Bio (Math 30-1, Math 31, Chem 30, Physics 30, English 30-1, Social 30-1, Architecture 30). I had an average of 83 in grade 11 but I didnt nearly apply myself as well as I will be this year. My top 2 classes are Math and Social (somewhat, I was weak in the written exams, but aced all the multiple choice exams), my weak class is English (proven in this message) and the rest I am a 75-85 student. Any course suggestions? i have no idea what I want to do.
There are advisors at the u of c that can help you with the "what should I take?" question. It depends on what you are interested in, what you would like to do after university, all sorts of stuff that would be good to sit down with someone and talk about. They will also let you know what the entrance requirements are and what prerequisites (if any) are required from your high school courses. For example my major in economics requires pure math 30 with a grade greater than 70 percent to take math 249 which is a degree requirement. Depending on what you want to take there are all sorts of prerequisites so talk to someone and know what you need to do beforehand.

I believe there is a general arts program that lets you explore some different things for I think the first year before you declare your major, there may also be some sort of general sciences major as well although im not sure what the specifics are in either or if either one actually exists. I'm just throwing it out there because it seems like it would be a decent place for someone who is undecided.

The website is www.ucalgary.ca, type "advisor" into the search function and see if you can find someone to talk to. You'll wind up with much better advice than anything that I would tell you. There are A LOT of different things you can take at the u of c and A LOT of different things you can do afterwards. If you want to be a doctor it wouldn't make much sense to enroll as a philosophy major.

Keep in mind that classes are starting in a month so the phone lines are all really busy right now. Classes start on September 10th so it would probably be less of a headache for you to call after that.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Advisors wear rose-coloured glasses about the world. They'll direct you where you want to go, not where you should avoid going. Let's be honest, there are some majors you'll graduate from and be forced to work at starbucks afterwards because all you had for work experience is retail.

I suggest you get on kijiji, wowjobs, the university job banks, as well as public service job banks and look at the market. Chances are you'll have trouble building a career and future with bachelors degree in something like Library studies, Sociology or god knows what. Just a heads up from the real world.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
FlamesFan18

Thanks guys. if only i had the genes and work ethic as a kid to become a professional ice hockey player haha, then there was the GM or Coach of an NHL team dream, then it was scout. If only...

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:37 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Advisors wear rose-coloured glasses about the world. They'll direct you where you want to go, not where you should avoid going. Let's be honest, there are some majors you'll graduate from and be forced to work at starbucks afterwards because all you had for work experience is retail.

I suggest you get on kijiji, wowjobs, the university job banks, as well as public service job banks and look at the market. Chances are you'll have trouble building a career and future with bachelors degree in something like Library studies, Sociology or god knows what. Just a heads up from the real world.
I'm reminded of my first semester when I asked this girl why she was taking anthropology and she replied "because all the anthropologists are reaching retirement age and there will be lots of jobs available."

Yes, this is a true story.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
You might want to consider a year of general studies and see what inspires you. Don't chase a career that you have no passion for, do something that interests you and challenges you. If you go after something you have no interest in,or are doing it just for the money, you will burn out quickly or have little joy in your workaday life. Money is not everything and will not lead you to happiness. I know, that sounds like a fortune cookie, but it is true. Find something that you want to do and chase that dream. One thing to consider, education, no matter what it is focused on, is something that no one can take away from you and will look good on a resume; it will open doors for you. Just don't get locked into something you're going to hate doing for the next 10-15 years after school.

Old
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
You sound alot like me I was a 95%+ student in Chem, Math, Physics but barely a 60 student in English but I made it into U of V and was taking Astronomy and Physics until my 3rd year when I found that I had a passion for Math and Statistics and switch and have loved it ever sense. I think the best advice I could give is to take what ever inspires/interests you and you will find your passion. Everyone is different but taking several Chem courses and the madatory english course on top of my Physics, Astro, and Math showed me quickly that I hated applied since and prefer to work in the theoretical and that you can do anything with numbers. Just take a bit of everything that you enjoy and I am sure you will find what you want to study.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Agreed with the people telling you to avoid "GPA boosters".

I am finishing up a combined degree at the University of Calgary this year, in Biology and Chemistry; I've had some very difficult courses in my time (especially 500+ level chemistry, biochemistry and CMMB courses), and yet the lowest grade that haunts me to this day is my "GPA booster" in a first year Geology course (rocks for jocks). I came in thinking "Hell, I'm getting B+ to A+ in all my real courses, why the hell should I care about this class that the re-res do?"

Little to say, I didn't study, I didn't pay attention, I rarely attended... and that is why it has the lowest grade of all of my 40+ courses I've taken.

Find something you like doing, or something that sounds interesting. I find History courses very interesting, and while my writing of an essay is ****, I end up doing well in them simply because I find them interesting. I took a Magic, Science and Religion, it was pretty fun; mostly because it had the word magic in it.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
In grade 12, I had my student adviser (not going to name my HS) sit across from me in his office and ask me "What do I want to do in Univeristy".

I told him "I don't know, I like sciences a lot, I also can talk like you wouldn't believe (making a small joke)"
he then said "Hmm" and sat back in his chair for no less than 30 seconds with his hands in the form of a gun pressed to his lips. He then replied "Geologist?"
I responded with "What?"
He then went on to inform me, his neighbor was a geologist, and that he made a good living, and that we should go on a field trip to his office together.
I respectfully declined.

Old
08-12-2012, 12:27 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

I know how much people warn you about booster courses, but I've found these 4 to be really easy:
- Sociology 201 (Is that right? Whatever the intro is). I'm pretty naturally interested in Soci though, so this might not hold.
- Psych 201. See above.
- Econ 201/203. Mostly a course in "have two lines, move the intersects". The work is 1 hour/week and exam studying.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:44 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
You might want to consider a year of general studies and see what inspires you. Don't chase a career that you have no passion for, do something that interests you and challenges you. If you go after something you have no interest in,or are doing it just for the money, you will burn out quickly or have little joy in your workaday life. Money is not everything and will not lead you to happiness. I know, that sounds like a fortune cookie, but it is true. Find something that you want to do and chase that dream. One thing to consider, education, no matter what it is focused on, is something that no one can take away from you and will look good on a resume; it will open doors for you. Just don't get locked into something you're going to hate doing for the next 10-15 years after school.
I disagree. Some people's paradigm is that you work for the end of the day, and at that point someone's life starts. A job is not someone's life and happiness, as happiness can be found anywhere. Some people work for only for retirement. People rake in the coin, but afterwards travel the world and do what they want exactly how they pictured it. Some people love their job performing comedy routines but have to scrap by and work until their 70 without any real retirement.

Obviously it's not a black or white issue. Having a enjoyable job helps, just as having a realistic or sustainable career helps. There's good men and women out there that are raising their kids right even though they work at a job they hate, but it pays the bills and they know they'll always be work. And likewise there's selfish men and women out their neglecting their kids at home because their too busy flying around the world enjoying their dream job.

And then there's the harsh reality. Let's be honest, only a hand full of people from the 8 billion or so on this planet travel into outer space. So all those hopeful physics/engineering undergrads looking up at the stars need to look around at all their classmates and see that only one of them -- or more likely none of them -- will actually achieve such a goal.

Like I said, it's not a black & white issue. But those fortune cookies do make for interesting reading however.

Old
08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
My advice is to take all this information to your parents and discuss it with them. They have likely been through the same thing in their life and will be able to provide invaluable council. Use their experiences to help you figure things out.

Another thing to remember is you can change your major if you find something else that inspires you. Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer or a health and safety manager or a psychologist, so don't be afraid to let your internal GPS, those things we call a brain and a gut, to recalculate and find an alternative route to what will make you happiest in the long run.

Old
08-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Didn't go of U of C, but I had plenty of experience with GPA boosters. My advice is simple. The easiest way to get good marks in a class is to enjoy what you are learning. If you don't, no matter how easy, you're grades won't be that high if you can't force yourself to care about the topic material.

I graduated with Honors in History in April. By far my lowest marks throughout my undergrad were the courses I took for easy credits/marks.

Also, don't be overly concerned if you want to change your major after first year. Once you get a real taste of what you like you'll know better than you would now. High School and University are so drastically different. I went into Journalism at Carleton, which is recognized as one of the top two journalism programs in the country. I went in with a 94% average in high school, with honors in pretty much everything, but top of my class in both English and Social Studies. I thought Journalism was a fit, especially if I specialized in Sports. Carleton accepts 200 students, and by the end of first year only takes less than half that into second year. I made the cut, but I didn't enjoy myself at all, especially the crazy stress levels. I did enjoy history immensely, and changed going into second year.

In summary, just find out what you enjoy and stick to it. I guarantee you'll do well if you enjoy it.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 04:58 AM
GototheFlamestotheGo

From my experience at U of C, I would recommend looking at Rate my Prof, which is usually a pretty good indicator. Usually, when people do well in classes, they rate the prof higher so a prof with good ratings is usually linked to a class with a record of good class performance, which thereby increases your chances.

For junior level courses, I found that SOCI 201 with John Manzo was a fantastic class. He is an amazing prof who is really passionate and has a wicked sense of humour. Makes the class extremely fun to attend and most people I know rarely skip it, if ever.

Also, for similar reasons as Manzo, when you get to doing senior level options, any of the Drama seminars with Patrick Finn are excellent. They usually comprise topics of "Heroes and Villains", "Happiness", and "Story", and the classes are super interesting.

End of the day, go through the course calendar and look at as many courses as possible. For options, take courses that INTEREST YOU! That is the most important. Also, keep in mind that most if not all degrees will require you to pick senior level options that are outside of your faculty so if you pick junior options with good profs in the topics that interest you, then you can sign up for the higher level courses in the same courses when the time comes. This also opens up the opportunity for you to pursue a minor if you realize that you really like a certain topic, because then all of your junior options in that chosen field will count towards that.

The key is to be passionate about what you're doing because believe me, it makes a massive difference.

Finally, one more pro-tip: TALK TO YOUR PROFS. Build a relationship. Remember, now that it's university, you're in the real world. Professors are going to be your first foray into networking. You don't have to be best buddies with every prof but if you remain open and show them that you actually care about what they're talking about, then honest to go they will show that same interest in you. Not to mention, they'll vouch for you when you start job searching, which is always invaluable.

Best of luck!

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote