Offseason moves part 2

Old
06-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Completly agree with the toe drag. I saw him pull it out numerous times this past season. Some nights it got telegraphed, but when people are caught off guard he made them look silly.
Ya, I don't mean he's a super awesome player or even has more tools than Backlund. But I think he's got some nice 1-1 moves that translate better in a shootout. Even that shift thing he does with his shoulders throws guys sometimes. He is a little weak on the puck and definitely gets snake bitten sometimes, but I like his game in general.

I was just making the point that Backlund has one shootout attempt and it was laughably bad. I get that one attempt is a small sample size and everyone gets "jimmy legs" from time to time, but I haven't seen evidence of him being a shootout ace.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Agreed with Tanguay, watch him take a huge leap this year in his play...

Stempniak is just a pure shooter. I think Backlund is a more skilled player, he has just yet to show it on the big stage.
Lots of guys with skill never put it all together at the NHL level though. It takes more than just silky mitts to be successful at that level.

I have confidence in Backlund but its far from a sure thing. I do think there is a good chance he progresses nicely this year. Ive always thought he had the potential to become a Zajac-esqe center.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Lots of guys with skill never put it all together at the NHL level though. It takes more than just silky mitts to be successful at that level.

I have confidence in Backlund but its far from a sure thing. I do think there is a good chance he progresses nicely this year. Ive always thought he had the potential to become a Zajac-esqe center.
My thoughts to, hopefully we see some growth from him this year.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
The AHL defenseman is the reason we can't make the playoffs? Jesus he must SUCK.

Brodie The 22 year old rookie who put up 14 points in 54 games and was a +3 on team that only had 6 + regular players

Butler The 24 year old top 4 defensive defenseman

Smith The number 6/7 defenseman

IMO you picked the 4 players that have the least to do with us missing the playoffs, please do not return troll.
Buter a top 4 man?

Maybe on the flames buddy
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1062723

he's a no.5 guy on a decent team.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
Buter a top 4 man?

what exactly is your point? your "evidence" is a 6 month old thread full of opinions

go back to your board, your kind isn't needed here.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 50
Quote:
Buter a top 4 man?

Must be why he had top two minutes for the Sabres in the 10/11 playoffs, and why they lost in 7 games.

But no, I trust your opinion more than Lindy Ruff's...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Buter a top 4 man?

Butler is a weak 4 or strong 5. Semantics really. He is exposed a bit against bigger top 6 forwards, but not drastically.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Must be why he had top two minutes for the Sabres in the 10/11 playoffs, and why they lost in 7 games.

But no, I trust your opinion more than Lindy Ruff's...
Also trust his opinion more than the guys who put together the 2012 IIHF World Champs US team, they take 5-6 guys right?

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
My thoughts to, hopefully we see some growth from him this year.
I'd like to see him playing between Sven and someone like Latendresse. I think playing between two guys like that he could really grow. Tons of Finesse coming from Baertchi's end, and skill/size from Guillaume.
In addition, watching Sven up last season and keeping as close of an eye as possible on the Winterhawks' run, as well as having watched one of my favourite players in Latendresse for a while, both these guys go right to the net. I think Backlund could really benefit from having two guys that like to get into tight spots in front of the net as well as drive the net.

If he makes the right leap forward in his development, he can still be a great NHL'er. I find it really funny when people are already playing the bust card on a 23 year old.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Butler is a weak 4 or strong 5. Semantics really. He is exposed a bit against bigger top 6 forwards, but not drastically.
I actually disagree, I think Butler's a fine second pairing guy. He only seems to have trouble when he's matching up against elite level players. Right now he's being asked to do that pretty regularly, and guys like the Sedins or the top line in Chicago make him look bad.

If we had a legitimate partner for Jaybo and Butler could play second pair with Gio I think he'd be just fine.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
I actually disagree, I think Butler's a fine second pairing guy. He only seems to have trouble when he's matching up against elite level players. Right now he's being asked to do that pretty regularly, and guys like the Sedins or the top line in Chicago make him look bad.

If we had a legitimate partner for Jaybo and Butler could play second pair with Gio I think he'd be just fine.
That's fine. We're talking about minor differences of opinion. He might do well on a second pairing. We won't really know until it happens.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I'd like to see him playing between Sven and someone like Latendresse. I think playing between two guys like that he could really grow. Tons of Finesse coming from Baertchi's end, and skill/size from Guillaume.
In addition, watching Sven up last season and keeping as close of an eye as possible on the Winterhawks' run, as well as having watched one of my favourite players in Latendresse for a while, both these guys go right to the net. I think Backlund could really benefit from having two guys that like to get into tight spots in front of the net as well as drive the net.

If he makes the right leap forward in his development, he can still be a great NHL'er. I find it really funny when people are already playing the bust card on a 23 year old.
With a largely FC coaching staff, I could see a guy like Latendresse being brought in. Makes some sense to me.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Completely disagree. I get to see a lot of him. He played with Ismond and Czerwenka for most of the games I watched, he didn't even play with Sam except on the PP, so you're right on the linemates thing even though they were the best wingers on the team. But he didn't noticeably improve in any areas from the end of last year in my view. I noticed a big improvement in Ferland's skating and hockey sense, but nothing for Max.

I'm not saying Max was awful, but he didn't progress from the end of last year to the end of this one. If you remember last year he was pretty much doing everything for them at that time and was pretty dominant through the playoffs. He was actually noticeably less effective this year than he was in the playoff run last year.
He absolutely progressed from last season. He led a very average Kootenay team to the playoffs, and was pretty much the only cog that kept there offense together. Without Lieuwen and Reinhart they dont even come close to sniffing the playoffs. They will be awful next season.

They lost
Kevin King
Matt Fraser
Brayden McNabb
Steele Boomer
James Martin
Cody Eakin

That is half of there top six, and their entire top pairing(Not to mention captain).

He proved that he could deliver on the offensive side of the puck with a very limited supporting cast. He lead the team in scoring by sixteen points, all while playing six less games than the second leading scorer(Sam Reinhart).

Max Reinhart - 1.28 PPG
Sam Reinhart - 0.93 PPG

He was clearly the best player on that team by a WIDE margin in every facet of the game.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
With a largely FC coaching staff, I could see a guy like Latendresse being brought in. Makes some sense to me.
I hate making these kinds of connections, but yes, this would make a lot of sense bringing this guy in.
Injury concerns only means Nemisz gets his chance in the NHL

Old
06-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

Quote:

But yeah, probably increases the chance of a lot of French Canadian players signing here.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post

But yeah, probably increases the chance of a lot of French Canadian players signing here.
also increases the chance of former teammates coming to Calgary?

Gelly did also play with pending UFAs Jason Arnott, Ryan Suter, Scott Nichol, Jordin Tootoo, Greg Zanon, Bryan Allen, Kristian Huselius, Niklas Hagman, and Chris Mason

He has also played with current Flames Olli Jokinen, Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff

Old
06-14-2012, 06:29 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
What the hell was my proposed Latendresse contract? 1 year on cheap money?

Can someone explain to me how we can get Comeau for cheaper than his 2.5? I still do not understand this.

Ideally I'd like them both on cheap 1 year deals. But I do not know if that is possible given their previous contracts.
Had you confused with MVW who said 2.75.

We can give him a qualifying offer of 2.5 so that we get compensation if he signs with another team and we don't match but we can offer him any contract as if he was a UFA but if not signed or qualified by July 1 he becomes a UFA.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Had you confused with MVW who said 2.75.

We can give him a qualifying offer of 2.5 so that we get compensation if he signs with another team and we don't match but we can offer him any contract as if he was a UFA but if not signed or qualified by July 1 he becomes a UFA.
the risk with giving Comeau is a qualifying offer is that he can accept it at any point, so we could be stuck with him @ 2.5 million again, while I like Comeau, I don't so much at that price.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Weak top 4? He played 21:36 a night against top lines admittedly he was -9 but 7 of that came just in the boston game meaning his other 67 games were pretty good. He played little pp but over 2 minutes of pk. He had over a hit a game and almost 2 blocked shots a game had 15 points (not bad of a defensive defenseman) and he is only 24 he has time to grow as most defenseman don't reach their peak till around 28. He is a top 4 defenseman.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
the risk with giving Comeau is a qualifying offer is that he can accept it at any point, so we could be stuck with him @ 2.5 million again, while I like Comeau, I don't so much at that price.
Don't care about the price as I don't think that we are going to be players in the UFA market except for a top 4 defenseman. 2.5 is steep I agree would prefer around 1.5 but it is only a 1 year deal and I admittedly want to give him another chance because at worst we can trade him at the deadline for decent asset.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Don't care about the price as I don't think that we are going to be players in the UFA market except for a top 4 defenseman. 2.5 is steep I agree would prefer around 1.5 but it is only a 1 year deal and I admittedly want to give him another chance because at worst we can trade him at the deadline for decent asset.
I am one that would prefer Latendresse to be honest, maybe its just because he always looked so good against us

Old
06-14-2012, 06:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Buter a top 4 man?

I don't get it most of the people said he was number 4 as in top 4 defenseman?

He played 21:36 a night against top lines admittedly he was -9 but 7 of that came just in the boston game meaning his other 67 games were pretty good. He played little pp but over 2 minutes of pk. He had over a hit a game and almost 2 blocked shots a game had 15 points (not bad of a defensive defenseman) and he is only 24 he has time to grow as most defenseman don't reach their peak till around 28. He is a top 4 defenseman.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I am one that would prefer Latendresse to be honest, maybe its just because he always looked so good against us
For argument sake lets say they want the same contract can you give me an argument why you prefer Lat? I see no upside with picking him over Comeau as Comeau is more versatile, has about the same numbers, and is atleast healthy.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
For argument sake lets say they want the same contract can you give me an argument why you prefer Lat? I see no upside with picking him over Comeau as Comeau is more versatile, has about the same numbers, and is atleast healthy.
I don't think Comeau has any more upside than Latendresse, I would also argue he hasn't had an off year like Comeau, while he might have been hurt his numbers were still really good. I also have found Latendresse is a bit harder to push around than Comeau do to his size.

Also when I look at numbers I see what Latendresse did after leaving Montreal and that is 32 goals and 52 points in 82 games.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I don't think Comeau has any more upside than Latendresse, I would also argue he hasn't had an off year like Comeau, while he might have been hurt his numbers were still really good. I also have found Latendresse is a bit harder to push around than Comeau do to his size.

Also when I look at numbers I see what Latendresse did after leaving Montreal and that is 32 goals and 52 points in 82 games.
He did put up great numbers he however missed 164 games in 3 years this team doesn't have the depth imo to replace him for 55 games. I would take a chance on him only after Comeau is signed.