HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Offseason moves part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
  #326
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
He did put up great numbers he however missed 164 games in 3 years this team doesn't have the depth imo to replace him for 55 games. I would take a chance on him only after Comeau is signed.
I think we do have enough depth to replace him though, but I also have this feeling he will be healthy this year.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
  #327
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I think we do have enough depth to replace him though, but I also have this feeling he will be healthy this year.
Its hard to have a feeling about concussions. I think we have the depth if we resign Comeau. I don't mind taking risks but I feel that giving up a player of about the same ability for a player that has arguable higher upside with a couple glaring weaknesses is a backwards more.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:42 PM
  #328
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Its hard to have a feeling about concussions. I think we have the depth if we resign Comeau. I don't mind taking risks but I feel that giving up a player of about the same ability for a player that has arguable higher upside with a couple glaring weaknesses is a backwards more.
It's a 3rd line role, we have guys like Nemisz, Horak, Byron... etc that can come into that role if there are injuries.

But like I said I like Comeau and won't be bothered if he returned. Ideally I would have Backlund center the 2 players, maybe it can be our 4th line next year

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
  #329
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
It's a 3rd line role, we have guys like Nemisz, Horak, Byron... etc that can come into that role if there are injuries.

But like I said I like Comeau and won't be bothered if he returned. Ideally I would have Backlund center the 2 players, maybe it can be our 4th line next year
that means Stajan, Cervenka, Cammy are our top 3 centers

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
  #330
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,810
vCash: 67
If Jokinen doesn't sign, should we go after Stoll or Gaustad? Or should we just chase a like Konopta and spend money on the wing, signing Comeau and Letendresse?

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Cammy - Cervenka - Glen
Baertchi - Backlund - Letendresse
Aliu - Konopka - Comeau

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
  #331
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
If Jokinen doesn't sign, should we go after Stoll or Gaustad? Or should we just chase a like Konopta and spend money on the wing, signing Comeau and Letendresse?

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Cammy - Cervenka - Glen
Baertchi - Backlund - Letendresse
Aliu - Konopka - Comeau
We have Jackman signed I guess he is your 13th forward? I would like to have Jones as he was very useful on the pk when we were down forwards. As of right now our pk would be

Tangs, GlenX, Stajan, Comeau, Backlund. I don't like this as 3 of our 5 pkers are top 6 players I would like to bring in a player to help reduce Tangs pk time.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
  #332
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,810
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
We have Jackman signed I guess he is your 13th forward? I would like to have Jones as he was very useful on the pk when we were down forwards. As of right now our pk would be

Tangs, GlenX, Stajan, Comeau, Backlund. I don't like this as 3 of our 5 pkers are top 6 players I would like to bring in a player to help reduce Tangs pk time.
I think Jackman is a great character guy, but those 7 mins a night could go to someone who's about to reach their prime and could explode with energy, so yeah, I guess he's my 13th forward. But whoever plays the best coming into camp should get a spot really.

I too would like our pkers to be energy guys. Aliu, Jones, Comeau, etc,. I too like Jones, but I want to ice the best possible line-up. The smart thing to do is likely avoid the F.A as much as possible with hopes of keeping from overpaying.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
  #333
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think Jackman is a great character guy, but those 7 mins a night could go to someone who's about to reach their prime and could explode with energy, so yeah, I guess he's my 13th forward. But whoever plays the best coming into camp should get a spot really.

I too would like our pkers to be energy guys. Aliu, Jones, Comeau, etc,. I too like Jones, but I want to ice the best possible line-up. The smart thing to do is likely avoid the F.A as much as possible with hopes of keeping from overpaying.
I agree but Aliu has no pk experience and I would rather dump Jackman and resign Jones and have a

Jones - Konopka - Comeau
Aliu

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
  #334
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
If we aren't going to resign Jokinen what about Backlund + Babchuck for Ribiero?

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Glenx - Ribiero - Cammy
Baertchi - Cervenka - Comeau
Jones - Konopka - Bouma
Aliu

Or we do resign Jokinen

Tangs - Stajan- Iginla
GlenX - Jokinen - Ribiero
Baertchi - Cervenka - Cammy
Jones - Konopka - Comeau

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:08 PM
  #335
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If we aren't going to resign Jokinen what about Backlund + Babchuck for Ribiero?

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Glenx - Ribiero - Cammy
Baertchi - Cervenka - Comeau
Jones - Konopka - Bouma
Aliu

Or we do resign Jokinen

Tangs - Stajan- Iginla
GlenX - Jokinen - Ribiero
Baertchi - Cervenka - Cammy
Jones - Konopka - Comeau
I'd be ok with getting Ribiero but ether way I don't think I want Stajan on the top line.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:12 PM
  #336
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I'd be ok with getting Ribiero but ether way I don't think I want Stajan on the top line.
The idea is that Jokinen is 46% at faceoffs, Ribiero is 42%, Cervenka has never played in the nhl and Stajan is 50% at faceoffs. He has shown he can play well with Tangs and Iginla and can get our top players the puck more often than anyone else. I don't want to split Jokinen and Glencross up as Jokinen has been a big reason for GlenX raising his game. and Sven needs a scorer which Stajan is not.

Other option

GlenX - Jokinen - Iginla
Tangs - Stajan/Cammy - Ribiero
Baertchi - Cervenka - Cammy/Stajan

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
  #337
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Dallas fans said they would take Stajan + Comeau for Ribiero

Also I just realized Jay McClement is a FA WE NEED HIM.

GlenX - Jokinen - Iginla
Tangs - Cervenka/Cammy - Ribiero
Baertchi - Backlund - Cervenka/Cammy
Jones - McClement - Bouma

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:27 PM
  #338
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,810
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If we aren't going to resign Jokinen what about Backlund + Babchuck for Ribiero?

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Glenx - Ribiero - Cammy
Baertchi - Cervenka - Comeau
Jones - Konopka - Bouma
Aliu

Or we do resign Jokinen

Tangs - Stajan- Iginla
GlenX - Jokinen - Ribiero
Baertchi - Cervenka - Cammy
Jones - Konopka - Comeau
Dallas would likely want way more for Riberio. That's like the Stars offering Tomas Vincour and Philip Larsen for Jokinen.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
  #339
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Dallas would likely want way more for Riberio. That's like the Stars offering Tomas Vincour and Philip Larsen for Jokinen.
I just asked stars fans and they said Stajan + Comeau gets it done for Ribeiro or Stajan + Comeau + Carson + 4th for Ribeiro + Robidas.

Also if they offer that for a ufa Jokinen DONE.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:44 PM
  #340
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I just asked stars fans and they said Stajan + Comeau gets it done for Ribeiro or Stajan + Comeau + Carson + 4th for Ribeiro + Robidas.

Also if they offer that for a ufa Jokinen DONE.
Would rather not have Robidas and just take Ribeiro by himself.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:53 PM
  #341
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Would rather not have Robidas and just take Ribeiro by himself.
I would as well just seeing what is available anyways the stars fans I was talking to turned down the trade for both in the end.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:28 AM
  #342
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,499
vCash: 50
Oh man I hate Riberio, I'd have a hard time cheering for him. But, he would add skill to our team, at the end of the day I'd probably do that trade. But I do not want Robidas.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:27 AM
  #343
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
that means Stajan, Cervenka, Cammy are our top 3 centers
or Jokinen, Stajan and Cervenka

Tanguay - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Cervenka - Jackman/Bouma/Jones
Latendresse - Backlund - Comeau

We could roll 4 lines at all times, Iggy & Cammy could double shift with the Baertschi/Cervenka to keep the minutes of Jackman, Bouma or Jones down.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:29 AM
  #344
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I just asked stars fans and they said Stajan + Comeau gets it done for Ribeiro or Stajan + Comeau + Carson + 4th for Ribeiro + Robidas.

Also if they offer that for a ufa Jokinen DONE.
must be a different Stars fan that I was talking to, he wanted the 11th overall, Eakin + for Ribeiro from Caps fans

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:37 AM
  #345
Ogi1Kenobi
Registered User
 
Ogi1Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,188
vCash: 500
Stars fan coming in peace (and because of that overhaul thread).

Which Stars fan agreed to Comeau + Stajan for Ribiero? That is such a bad proposal and makes no sense to what Joe Nuiewendyk is trying to build. If the Stars trade Ribiero, GMJN is most likely going to want an NHL-ready center prospect and picks or a young centerman that's still adapting.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
  #346
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
So out of sheer boredom.

Trades:

to
- Giordano
- Backlund
to
- Ribeiro
- Larsen

RFA Signings:

- Irving 1 year, 800k hit
- Jones 1 year, 600k hit
- Comeau 2 years, 1.5 million hit
- Aliu 1 year, 600k hit
- Byron 1 year, 600k hit

UFA Signings:

- Latendresse 1 year, 1.5 million hit
- Konopka 1 year, 1 million hit
- Carkner 1 year, 750k hit
- Carle 4 years, 4.5 million hit

Lineups:

Tanguay - Ribeiro - Iginla
Cammalleri - Stajan - Glencross
Baertschi - Cervenka - Latendresse
Bouma - Konopka - Comeau
Jones/Jackman

Bouwmeester - Butler
Carle - Larsen
Brodie - Babchuk
Smith, Carkner

Kiprusoff - Irving

Kolanos - Nemisz - Byron
Ferland - Horak - Walter
Howse - Reinhart - Aliu
Bancks - Laing - Eddy
Cameron, Wahl, Patterson, Elson

Wilson - Lamb
Breen - Carson
Martin - Piskula

Taylor
AHL goalie
I accidentally posted this in the Jokinen thread.

The deal with the Star was agreed by the gentleman that posted above me, from seeing different posts he seems to be one of the better and more grounded Stars posters in terms of proposals

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:07 AM
  #347
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Weak top 4? He played 21:36 a night against top lines admittedly he was -9 but 7 of that came just in the boston game meaning his other 67 games were pretty good. He played little pp but over 2 minutes of pk. He had over a hit a game and almost 2 blocked shots a game had 15 points (not bad of a defensive defenseman) and he is only 24 he has time to grow as most defenseman don't reach their peak till around 28. He is a top 4 defenseman.
His statement was that Butler is a 5 on a good team. Which is true. He was our #3. That doesn't mean he would be on a good team like Vancouver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh or New York. He's a 5 for any of those teams arguably a 6 for some of them. He had trouble even staying in the lineup for the Sabres. BTW, he's 25 and will be 26 at the start of next season.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
  #348
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
His statement was that Butler is a 5 on a good team. Which is true. He was our #3. That doesn't mean he would be on a good team like Vancouver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh or New York. He's a 5 for any of those teams arguably a 6 for some of them. He had trouble even staying in the lineup for the Sabres. BTW, he's 25 and will be 26 at the start of next season.
WOW really he was saying on another team he would be a #5 gee I didn't see that. On vancouver he is as good or better than Salo at this point so he would be #4. Pittsbugh Michalek didn't have a great season so I would say he is about as good as their #4. And St.louis and New York aren't good teams when it comes to defense they are the best along with LA. So in the entire nhl he is a #5 on 3-5 teams man he must be a #5. He is a top 4 defenseman on most teams.

In Buffalo he had injuries but when he was in the lineup averaged ~ top 4 minutes like 2009-2010 he averaged 20 minutes a night which was 3rd best and just behind #2. In his last year with Buffalo he was their #2 defenseman in the playoffs because he was trusted to play a strong defensive game.

When people say he wouldn't be a top 4 defenseman on good teams they don't mean the best defensive teams in the league the mean good but not great teams.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  #349
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,727
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
His statement was that Butler is a 5 on a good team. Which is true. He was our #3. That doesn't mean he would be on a good team like Vancouver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh or New York. He's a 5 for any of those teams arguably a 6 for some of them. He had trouble even staying in the lineup for the Sabres. BTW, he's 25 and will be 26 at the start of next season.
Yeah, those ankle injuries are nothing. He should have just walked it off instead of missing like 15 games or whatever it was. What a small cat.


Last edited by Stewie Griffin: 06-15-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Language
Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
  #350
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
We have Jackman signed I guess he is your 13th forward? I would like to have Jones as he was very useful on the pk when we were down forwards. As of right now our pk would be

Tangs, GlenX, Stajan, Comeau, Backlund. I don't like this as 3 of our 5 pkers are top 6 players I would like to bring in a player to help reduce Tangs pk time.
Jersey used their best players to PK, and look how deadly that thing was, both in ability to kill the penalties and the ability to make other teams pay.

Jackman should be the 13th forward... When we play teams like Detroit, what's the point of having a goon on the ice outside of letting them eat up our fourth line, and be forced into rolling 3. I really like the Jersey method they used this year, 3 lines that can burn you and the fourth line having the ability to play against top lines, eat up time and forecheck like nobodies business.

I'm still so not sold on Stajan, while I don't think he was ever really given a fair chance in Calgary, outside of the time he spent playing with the top line (and performing well) he has really been a ton of dead weight on the team. I like his faceoffs, he's a relatively responsible player, but with that price tag... you'd want top 6 ability from him... If there's a team out there that would be crazy enough to do this, I really want a second round pick this draft.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.