Notices

Offseason moves part 2

Old
06-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I was POed that he didn't move Joker/Sarich/etc. at the deadline as well, but in his defence he mentioned at one of the STH lunches that they tried to make some deals that fell through. Now I personally think he should've been willing to accept "rip-off" deals as well (e.g. Joker for a 2nd rounder, whatever) since those UFAs were almost certain to be unsigned as of this off-season, but he did try to some extent.
Jokinen had said he wouldn't waive his NMC at the deadline, so Feaster could not have traded him. Speculation is Sarich invoked his NMC to stay in Calgary too as he was originally supposed to be part of the Morrison trade.

The non-injured players had NTCs or NMCs, and those that didn't have NTCs or NMCs were injured. What can a GN do if a player won't waive or a player is injured? The answer is nothing.

People need to accept that circumstances play a big part sometimes.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Jokinen had said he wouldn't waive his NMC at the deadline, so Feaster could not have traded him. Speculation is Sarich invoked his NMC to stay in Calgary too as he was originally supposed to be part of the Morrison trade.

The non-injured players had NTCs or NMCs, and those that didn't have NTCs or NMCs were injured. What can a GN do if a player won't waive or a player is injured? The answer is nothing.

People need to accept that circumstances play a big part sometimes.
No he should be run out of town because we kept TKO instead of getting a 7th

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
No he should be run out of town because we kept TKO instead of getting a 7th
I know eh?

So I think you missed my question earlier, or I missed your reply (but I can't find it if you did reply), were you serious when you suggested bringing in Hudler as a winger to help our faceoffs?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I know eh?

So I think you missed my question earlier, or I missed your reply (but I can't find it if you did reply), were you serious when you suggested bringing in Hudler as a winger to help our faceoffs?
no it was a mix up he said sign PA and then said to have a split faceoffs with Cammy and Cervenka but it looked like PA and Cervenka so I said bring Hudler instead as he is better at faceoffs than PA. Long story short no.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
no it was a mix up he said sign PA and then said to have a split faceoffs with Cammy and Cervenka but it looked like PA and Cervenka so I said bring Hudler instead as he is better at faceoffs than PA. Long story short no.
I'm too lazy to actually look this up, but Hudler is actually better at faceoffs than someone?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'm too lazy to actually look this up, but Hudler is actually better at faceoffs than someone?
Well not this year but he only took 7 faceoffs

He has over 40 % average in the nhl PA is around 35 but he only has like 100 draws

Either way if we are using either to take faceoffs we might as well forfeit.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
nevermind I decided to look it up anyways.

Sadly even though PA blows on faceoffs, he is still somewhere around 10% better than Hudler.

Its sad that a natural center like Hudler can be under 30% on faceoffs

Old
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
nevermind I decided to look it up anyways.

Sadly even though PA blows on faceoffs, he is still somewhere around 10% better than Hudler.

Its sad that a natural center like Hudler can be under 30% on faceoffs
He did only take 7 this year. I still think to avoid this whole idea of winger center we could just sign Jokinen.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Well not this year but he only took 7 faceoffs

He has over 40 % average in the nhl PA is around 35 but he only has like 100 draws

Either way if we are using either to take faceoffs we might as well forfeit.
you beat me before i put up another post, I didn't realize Hudler took no faceoffs this year. but irregardless you are right, rither taking draws for us is horrible. if we want to lose faceoffs we can just trade stajan and run with cervenka, backlund, jones and horak as our centermen, I sure they could lose 60% of all our draws.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
He did only take 7 this year. I still think to avoid this whole idea of winger center we could just sign Jokinen.
well as you know I am firmly in belief that we need Jokinen and I think that anyone who doesn't want him back isn't much of a fan

Old
06-10-2012, 01:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
well as you know I am firmly in belief that we need Jokinen and I think that anyone who doesn't want him back isn't much of a fan
You are much more black and white then I am but I agree I don't see how we compete with out Jokinen. If we aren't going to sign him I would like to see us be the first team every to play 2 forwards and 3 defensemen and just not try at the faceoffs (maybe trade Stajan to make sure we can't win anything)

Old
06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
You are much more black and white then I am but I agree I don't see how we compete with out Jokinen. If we aren't going to sign him I would like to see us be the first team every to play 2 forwards and 3 defensemen and just not try at the faceoffs (maybe trade Stajan to make sure we can't win anything)
exactly you can not go with a bunch of question marks in today's NHL. I have seen certain posters here predicting Cervenka will put up 50+ points this season as a center for us, I don't know what they are smoking to think a 26 year old NHL "rookie" will put up enough points to be in the top 30 in his position.

It is unfair to expect more than 30 points from Cervenka IMO, its not fair to expect Backlund to put up more than 35 points and its not fair to expect Stajan to put up 40+ points, yet these posters seem to think all 3 of these guys will be impact players this year, or will at the very least "make up what Jokinen does". The pressure these centermen will be under if we don't bring back Jokinen is incredible and doing nothing but setting them and this team up for failure.

It's like people think 61 points as a center in today's NHL is an easy number to achieve. It's as if they don't recognize that a mere 35 centers reached 50 points this season as well as last and quite a few less did it in both years.

They seem so stuck on age that they don't care about winning, it's what I hate about this site, people are unable to think for themselves and see that younger is only better when the player is better.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:57 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
exactly you can not go with a bunch of question marks in today's NHL. I have seen certain posters here predicting Cervenka will put up 50+ points this season as a center for us, I don't know what they are smoking to think a 26 year old NHL "rookie" will put up enough points to be in the top 30 in his position.

It is unfair to expect more than 30 points from Cervenka IMO, its not fair to expect Backlund to put up more than 35 points and its not fair to expect Stajan to put up 40+ points, yet these posters seem to think all 3 of these guys will be impact players this year, or will at the very least "make up what Jokinen does". The pressure these centermen will be under if we don't bring back Jokinen is incredible and doing nothing but setting them and this team up for failure.

It's like people think 61 points as a center in today's NHL is an easy number to achieve. It's as if they don't recognize that a mere 35 centers reached 50 points this season as well as last and quite a few less did it in both years.

They seem so stuck on age that they don't care about winning, it's what I hate about this site, people are unable to think for themselves and see that younger is only better when the player is better.
Yea I agree he is only 32 its not like he is 38 and not only that he wants to play here for cheaper than market value(or so I believe) I think the best deal is 15.5-16.5 over 4 years and all these problems go away. And if by some miracle Stajan,Backlund, and Cervenka all do go 40+ points and look great we can put Jokinen on the wing as I think it will help his offensive game.

In the best world I would like

Tangs - Stajan - Iggy
Glencross - Cervenka - Jokinen
Sven - Backlund - Cammy

Old
06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Yea I agree he is only 32 its not like he is 38 and not only that he wants to play here for cheaper than market value(or so I believe) I think the best deal is 15.5-16.5 over 4 years and all these problems go away. And if by some miracle Stajan,Backlund, and Cervenka all do go 40+ points and look great we can put Jokinen on the wing as I think it will help his offensive game.

In the best world I would like

Tangs - Stajan - Iggy
Glencross - Cervenka - Jokinen
Sven - Backlund - Cammy
or we play Cervenka on the wing, since he hasn't played center in at least 2 years. I am not sure why people think he can move up to a better league and switch positions effectively at the same time.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Northern Neighbour

Cammalleri is going to be in the top-6 before Stajan. So if Jokinen does re-sign, then I think the lines would be:

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Cervenka
Baertschi - Backlund/Stajan - ???

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:34 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
What about our defence though. I'd say our offense will be alright but defensively I'm not so sure.
Right now we have:
Gio-Boumeester
Butler-Babchuk
Smith-Brodie
Carson

That is gonna need improving.. I would even say we could use 2 more top 4 d men.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
IMO we need to trade up to secure this Radek Faksa kid. He's big, fast, and plays a very smart game I hear. IMO he's the type of player that could get fast tracked to the NHL next year, playing sheltered minutes of course. This is the guy that Calgary needs to get.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Cammalleri is going to be in the top-6 before Stajan. So if Jokinen does re-sign, then I think the lines would be:

exactly. I know it is better to use cammy on the wing, but we need top line production. Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla is the only top line we have. Jokinen and Iginla do not seem to work, but with Glencross they were productive.

So if Cammy is not on the big line then I'd split to have a 1A/1B combo:

Glencross-Jokinen-Iginla
Tanguay-Cammy-Bartschi
Cervenka-Backlund/Stajan-Neimisz

I don't get management. I mean clearly they are in win now mode, no? If Feaster seriously thinks Cervenka can replace Jokinen then he is taking a huge risk. To be conservative you have to at the most assume 3rd line procduction out of Cervenka.

Backlund and Stajan should fight out 3rd line. I feel bad for Backlund, but our management clearly want to win now, and expecting him to out produce Jokinen next year is not going to happen. Stajan, IMO, is better now then Backlund too, so unless Backlund can crack our top 9 he might as well go. Which sucks because his value sucks right now. I'm not happy with the direction we are going. Cammy, Jokinen, Iginla, Bouwmeester...These guys should all be available for the right price (Jokinen is a FA).

This team needs to start building much better depth and hopefully obtain a top end talent prospect to go with Bartschi in the Iggy trade. Bouwmeester is not an answer to top line defender issues, because he'll never be that go to guy...ever.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
IMO we need to trade up to secure this Radek Faksa kid. He's big, fast, and plays a very smart game I hear. IMO he's the type of player that could get fast tracked to the NHL next year, playing sheltered minutes of course. This is the guy that Calgary needs to get.
I've been watching him for the last while and agree. Seems like a guy who could help us now, in a support role. His physical and mental game are ready.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
But who really could we trade up with without giving up assets? I don't think there is any team.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:08 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
But who really could we trade up with without giving up assets? I don't think there is any team.
Well, you have to give up an 'asset' to move up everything you trade is an asset.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post

I am sure that will be an awesome top line if they could ever get the puck since only Iginla can win one at any regularity. Look at Philly they spread out their best players in the top 9 and also give the top 9 more ice time than usually for depth scoring it is much more effective.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
We'd have to give up something. Maybe even Backlund+ , but IMO it'd be worth it.

This guy is 6'3, can skate, very smart, great defensively, and he seems to scream untapped offensive potential. The Flames need this guy, and as The Gnome said, he's the type of guy who can step in sooner than later.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:52 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Well, you have to give up an 'asset' to move up everything you trade is an asset.
No thanks captain obvious, I meant like prospects, younger players, assets we cant really afford to be losing and should be gaining.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Medium Rare*

There was some interesting (although brief) discussion in the Couturier/Giordano thread on the trade section. Someone brought up the idea of Baertschi for Coururier. While we all love Baertschi if Philly was willing I think we would need to take this deal.