HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason moves part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
  #126
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Our defence could very well be improved through free agency, these are a list of the best ones:
Hal Gil
Matt Carle
Chris campoli
Matt Carkner
Michal Rozsival
Carlo Colaiacovo
Dennis Wideman
Joe Corvo
Jaroslav Spacek
Shane O'Brien
Garnet Exelby
Jason Garrison
(didn't put Suter because I don't think we have a chance)

From that list I would love the likes of Jason Garrison, and Matt carle, but if we miss out on those guys I would try for Hal Gill or Rozsival and Carlo Colaiacovo leaving us with a defence like this:
Gio-Bouwmeester
Gill/Rozsival-Colaiacovo
Brodie-Smith
Babchuck

Offer Colaiacovo a 2 year 6 million deal (3 per) or less?
And if Gill doesn't resign offer him a 1 year 2-2.5 mil deal
And my third choice offer Rosival a 2 year 8 million dollar deal (4 a year) he made 5 mil a year this year.
Not bad if you ask me.


Last edited by tyflames: 06-10-2012 at 11:40 PM.
tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
  #127
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 50
Would much rather the Flames give Carle 5 years at 5M per rather then expend assets to get Ballard. Flames have few enough assets as it is.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
  #128
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 50
Why don't you think Calgary has a chance at Suter? I wouldn't put it past Feaster to make a very tempting offer.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
  #129
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,206
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Why don't you think Calgary has a chance at Suter? I wouldn't put it past Feaster to make a very tempting offer.
He has said already he wants to stay in the USA so we would have to offer 9+ million to change that imo.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
  #130
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,581
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Why don't you think Calgary has a chance at Suter? I wouldn't put it past Feaster to make a very tempting offer.
Because for example, if you are a player with no affiliation to either of these teams would you:

A. Sign in Calgary for 7.5 Million per

or

B. Sign in Detroit for 7.0 Million per

I think a lot of players would sign in Detroit simply for the chance to win. Not to say we don't have a chance, but money isn't everything to most players.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
  #131
BurnEmUp
Registered User
 
BurnEmUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Flames org should just schedule two "Forever A Flame" inductions for next season.

One for Gary Suter, the other for Neil Sheehy.


BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
  #132
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Even through trade route, any interest in going after the NYR for Girardi?

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
  #133
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,206
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Even through trade route, any interest in going after the NYR for Girardi?
I have seen what NYR fans want and I can honestly say no. Carle is 3 years younger and we don't have to give up assets would rather just overpay for him.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
  #134
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Even through trade route, any interest in going after the NYR for Girardi?
Given the playoff run he just had; it's pretty unlikely the Rangers even consider moving him.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
  #135
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Given the playoff run he just had; it's pretty unlikely the Rangers even consider moving him.
Fair enough but with the emergence of McDonagh and Del Zotto, not to mention they have Erixon in the system, I thought maybe he would be expandable.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
  #136
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Fair enough but with the emergence of McDonagh and Del Zotto, not to mention they have Erixon in the system, I thought maybe he would be expandable.
More likely they move Del Zotto and Erixon (probably for Nash) than Girardi.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
  #137
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
More likely they move Del Zotto and Erixon (probably for Nash) than Girardi.
Ya that's true though reading the Del Zotto to Edmonton thread on the trade and free agent board a lot of the NYR fans are very high on Del Zotto as they believe he is there only true PMD left.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
  #138
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Because for example, if you are a player with no affiliation to either of these teams would you:

A. Sign in Calgary for 7.5 Million per

or

B. Sign in Detroit for 7.0 Million per

I think a lot of players would sign in Detroit simply for the chance to win. Not to say we don't have a chance, but money isn't everything to most players.
Both I and most DET fans I've seen would probably say that they are no longer the go-to team when it comes to signing with a winner. Their GM is way too cautious these last few seasons and now that Lidstrom is gone their D is mediocre at best. Suter is precisely what they need, but I really don't see why he should choose them(anymore).

On the other hand there are other great teams that would love to have his services and there is also a good chance he simply stays in NSH.

I have gotten the impression that players are more positive towards the idea of playing here than most fans seem to think. Feaster also seems like the kind of guy who'd be pretty good at convincing an UFA who's on the fence.

Either way it's not very likely we get him and I would be pretty excited about a Carle signing. He seems to get a bad rap but I like his play.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
  #139
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
I would love a guy like Carkner for our bottom pairing. He is very tough, can clear the net, and has made big improvements defensivly. His foot speed is average, but he's usually in position and rarely gets burned. He's also a lot more disciplined than he was in the past.

An underrated guy for the bottom pairing IMO. He can also spot fill in the top 4 when injuries come up. He was great for OTT in the 1st round.

I'd try to sign Garrison and Carkner

Bouwmeester-Garrison
Giordano-Butler
Brodie-Carkner
Smith

Nothing great but better then what we had last year. If we cannot get Garrison then Rozsival is worth a look, and probably comes cheaper. Actually he might be a better target if the price/term for Garrison is too much.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:29 AM
  #140
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I would love a guy like Carkner for our bottom pairing. He is very tough, can clear the net, and has made big improvements defensivly. His foot speed is average, but he's usually in position and rarely gets burned. He's also a lot more disciplined than he was in the past.

An underrated guy for the bottom pairing IMO. He can also spot fill in the top 4 when injuries come up. He was great for OTT in the 1st round.

I'd try to sign Garrison and Carkner

Bouwmeester-Garrison
Giordano-Butler
Brodie-Carkner
Smith

Nothing great but better then what we had last year. If we cannot get Garrison then Rozsival is worth a look, and probably comes cheaper. Actually he might be a better target if the price/term for Garrison is too much.
I have considered Carkner myself, I don't know if I want him as an everyday player though, maybe he and Smith could split time. I also am not overly fond of having a defenseman that fights as much as he does, this means that if we take a penalty after he gets in a fight or fights while we are short handed, we would possibly be forced to use Brodie on the PK, which IMO wouldn't be the best idea.

I think we will see something like this though:

Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - ______
Brodie - Babchuk
Smith

I think Garrison, Roszival, Carle, Jackman, Kubina and Hannan are all options.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
  #141
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Our defence could very well be improved through free agency, these are a list of the best ones:
Hal Gil
Matt Carle
Chris campoli
Matt Carkner
Michal Rozsival
Carlo Colaiacovo
Dennis Wideman
Joe Corvo
Jaroslav Spacek
Shane O'Brien
Garnet Exelby
Jason Garrison
(didn't put Suter because I don't think we have a chance)

From that list I would love the likes of Jason Garrison, and Matt carle, but if we miss out on those guys I would try for Hal Gill or Rozsival and Carlo Colaiacovo leaving us with a defence like this:
Gio-Bouwmeester
Gill/Rozsival-Colaiacovo
Brodie-Smith
Babchuck

Offer Colaiacovo a 2 year 6 million deal (3 per) or less?
And if Gill doesn't resign offer him a 1 year 2-2.5 mil deal
And my third choice offer Rosival a 2 year 8 million dollar deal (4 a year) he made 5 mil a year this year.
Not bad if you ask me.
no to this but i like the other ideas

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:56 PM
  #142
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Our defence could very well be improved through free agency, these are a list of the best ones:
Hal Gil
Matt Carle
Chris campoli
Matt Carkner
Michal Rozsival
Carlo Colaiacovo
Dennis Wideman
Joe Corvo
Jaroslav Spacek
Shane O'Brien
Garnet Exelby
Jason Garrison
(didn't put Suter because I don't think we have a chance)

From that list I would love the likes of Jason Garrison, and Matt carle, but if we miss out on those guys I would try for Hal Gill or Rozsival and Carlo Colaiacovo leaving us with a defence like this:
Gio-Bouwmeester
Gill/Rozsival-Colaiacovo
Brodie-Smith
Babchuck

Offer Colaiacovo a 2 year 6 million deal (3 per) or less?
And if Gill doesn't resign offer him a 1 year 2-2.5 mil deal
And my third choice offer Rosival a 2 year 8 million dollar deal (4 a year) he made 5 mil a year this year.
Not bad if you ask me.
Of this list I would prefer Carle. Add Shultz to that list, and those are my two defensive targets this offseason. Shultz should be the number target this offseason.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #143
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am sure that will be an awesome top line if they could ever get the puck since only Iginla can win one at any regularity. Look at Philly they spread out their best players in the top 9 and also give the top 9 more ice time than usually for depth scoring it is much more effective.
Philly can spread out their scoring because they are overloaded with top-6 forwards - Briere, Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Simmonds, JVR, Schenn, Courterier, and Voracek.

Regarding the lines you posted, I don't like Jokinen at RW. I believe he was tried there in the past by Florida, and he didn't work out there. He's much better off at centre, and he's a good two-way centre.

I'm not a fan of Baertschi and Cammalleri on the same line, as they are both small. Better to split them up IMO.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
  #144
AfricanHerbsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Philly can spread out their scoring because they are overloaded with top-6 forwards - Briere, Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Simmonds, JVR, Schenn, Courterier, and Voracek.

Regarding the lines you posted, I don't like Jokinen at RW. I believe he was tried there in the past by Florida, and he didn't work out there. He's much better off at centre, and he's a good two-way centre.

I'm not a fan of Baertschi and Cammalleri on the same line, as they are both small. Better to split them up IMO.
I agree i think baertschi backlund and aliu should play on the third line together aliu is big and gnarly but has the skill to finish with those two.

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
  #145
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Sounds like Latendresse might not get a QO from MIN.

He's worth the risk IMO. Very skilled guy with size, who IIRC can play off-wing.

A line of Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse would be slick if they can stay healthy. Also, not that it's likely a big deal breaker, but having a francophone coach to teach him could be an added bonus.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
  #146
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Sounds like Latendresse might not get a QO from MIN.

He's worth the risk IMO. Very skilled guy with size, who IIRC can play off-wing.

A line of Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse would be slick if they can stay healthy. Also, not that it's likely a big deal breaker, but having a francophone coach to teach him could be an added bonus.
Where do I sign? Probably something like 3.75 mill for 2 years eh?

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  #147
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Where do I sign? Probably something like 3.75 mill for 2 years eh?
I'm not sure, what recent contract can we compare him to? Take into consideration that he has barely played in 2 seasons.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:34 PM
  #148
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,424
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Where do I sign? Probably something like 3.75 mill for 2 years eh?
He made 2.5 the last 2 seasons, I think 2.75 would get it done. Most GM's will want to stay clear.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
  #149
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club
 
Marshal Rochambeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
For some reason, I see Feaster signing Corvo.

Also, Garrison would be the partner for Bouwmeester. He plays defense physically and he is known for his slap shot. Bouwmeester can feed him all day.

Marshal Rochambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:02 PM
  #150
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club
 
Marshal Rochambeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Where do I sign? Probably something like 3.75 mill for 2 years eh?
One year, 2.5. Max.

Marshal Rochambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.