HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I predict an absolute House Cleaning before the season starts.

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
So people are actually answering with logic and not blasting OP? Leafs fan must have a bigger heart than I do.

(Putting Percy in and taking Gardiner out? I call that insanity. If Percy falters, you throw him under the bus like you did with Schenn who was rushed into the NHL? Repeat the cycle? It's called insanity.)

Old
06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Rielly Good

Wow...lol
Grabo is a hard working 2nd centre. what do you want from your 2nd centre if 50 points and chemistry with alot of players isnt good enough.
Gardiner is soft as butter, but yet percy will look so strong and tough on the 1st pairing playing 25 min a night?

Can i hit the pipe next time?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Eb
TML

HAHAAHAHA I don't know why but I found the OP's first paragraph so funny

Old
06-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i think Percy is pretty good. i like him better than Gardiner.
I bet you say this to be hipster and not be on the bandwagon with Gardiner lols.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Leaf Fan Since 93*

Lupul -
- I don't think he's traded this offeseason because he holds a lot of value to the leafs, he was a ppg player before going down with an injury and he shows tremendous chemsitry with Kessel. You say he wasn't good defensively, well towards then end he was hustling back and there were a few times he blocked shots, sure he'll never be good in his own end but as long as the effort is there that's all that can be asked. Lupul being traded/not traded will hinge on contract negoations if Lupul demands too much then he's traded at the deadline for a draft pick/prospect but he can just as easily be resigned here.

Bozak - Bozak is definetly not a 1st line centre, but at the moment he's the best we got. Bozak brings a lot to the table including some vison, he's got a high hockey iq and he's above average skating wise, actually he'd make a decent 3rd line centre.

Grabo - This post is so ignorant I dn't even know where to begin! 1st off Grabo had 58 points in 2010/11 and he easily could have gotten 60, last year with ****** linemates he still put up 53 points. Secondly Burke just signed him to a long term deal trading him would be bad PR for any potential free agnents who want to sign with us. Thirdly there is no 2nd line centre available that is better then Grabo, sure Jokinen is available but at best it's a sideways thing.

Lombo .- Agreed!

Armstong - Agreed!

kadri - Good points were made here

Gardiner - This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! Your quick to sit there and chirp yet meanwhile guys like Burke/Wilson/Carlyle who are extremely smart hockey wise know different! Burke drafted him and then traded for him, both Wilson and Carlyle gavce him a lot of minutes it shows they trust him and that he's a good player. Not just that as a ROOKIE he put up 30 pts, he can easily be a 50 pt defencmen who has a solid two way game with elite speed. KHL for Gradiner? Please go sit your $5 ass down somewhere because you clearly have no clue what you rambling on about.

Monster -. 100% gone, no way he comes back or Burke even offers him a contract, guy is even worse then Toskalol.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:35 AM
My Sweet Shadow

That has the makings of a horrible team. Dressing Frattin, Ashton, Deschamps, D'Amigo, Hamilton, and Percy as full-time NHLers would not end well. Even if you could acquire two legitimate 1st liners (Lupul, Schenn, Gardiner, Schenn, and Grabovski would go a long way to help with that), there is zero depth to that roster.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Dreakmur

I believe this roster needs a 50% turnover before next season, which would be considered "absolute house cleaning".

I also believe that the changes needed will take longer than one off-season. Brian Burke may have done a good job adding depth to our prospect poor, but he left the roster looking like an absolute mess. We need an overhaul, but we lack both cap space and valuable assets to trade. I just don't see any way that Burke can make the number of changes we need. Worst of all, we're locked into numerous useless players, many of them on contracts so bad that we couldn't give the players way if we wanted to. Not only do those players take up cap space, they take roster spots away from upgrades.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I believe this roster needs a 50% turnover before next season, which would be considered "absolute house cleaning".

I also believe that the changes needed will take longer than one off-season. Brian Burke may have done a good job adding depth to our prospect poor, but he left the roster looking like an absolute mess. We need an overhaul, but we lack both cap space and valuable assets to trade. I just don't see any way that Burke can make the number of changes we need. Worst of all, we're locked into numerous useless players, many of them on contracts so bad that we couldn't give the players way if we wanted to. Not only do those players take up cap space, they take roster spots away from upgrades.
Locked in seems like such an overstatement.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnizzle View Post
-Schenn is still only 22yrs old. I wouldn't oppose trading Schenn for the right player but I think Burke would be too stubborn to trade someone he traded up for + signed to a long term deal.
Fletcher did that.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Thrillingbroom

I remember my first beer.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Locked in seems like such an overstatement.
Do you see us getting rid of Tim Connolly, Matthew Lombardi, Colby Armstrong, and Mike Komisarek?

Personally, I'd like to get rid of Mikhail Grabovski and John-Michael Liles too, but even if Burke agreed, he'd have a real tough time getting fair value for these guys.

I know he didn't sign the contact, but Dion Phaneuf is more of the same.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
I didn't think it was possible for human beings to be so smart. Congratulations.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Bills09

in b4 lock

Old
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
nuck
Flatfoot

There is a chance for some big changes but I doubt the ones you are predicting. Assuming Grabo and Lupul go and Mac stays makes no sense. Grabo is signed for what looks like top dollar. He will have to start earning that money to be dealable. Lupul only has one strong season under his belt so won't generate the return he might if he can do this regularly and if he can actually repeat this year he is a keeper. Boz is soft and may be topped out and also only has the one solid season so I would question what he would bring back. I can see BB wanting to upgrade but Bozak worked well with K and L and there are so few #1 guy options that I can't see it happening this year.

LACK, a couple of defencemen, and two goalies could be moved but in the remote situation that a center can be found, I think it costs young assets, and BB will have a bias for retaining his productive vets because he doesn't have time to wait for development.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:13 AM
TMLOBI

ummmmmm well I am kind of seeing red after you said Gardiner will be in the SEL or KHL. He is one of the best hockey skaters in the world.. I could write a long response.. but I think I'll just leave this here.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:17 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Gardiner - pretty overrated. Burke has the world fooled that he is some kind of special player. he's soft as butter. ultimately will wind up in the KHL or SEL.
You should go to the Ducks board and tell them this.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:21 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Do you see us getting rid of Tim Connolly, Matthew Lombardi, Colby Armstrong, and Mike Komisarek?
I predict at least 3 of them will be gone by the end of next year.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:32 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I predict at least 3 of them will be gone by the end of next year.
Smart money says you're right.

*touches nose*

Old
06-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
You should go to the Ducks board and tell them this.
LOL

I missed that part.

wow.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:02 AM
InTermsOf*

Why, just why.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Habitual Liar

Send a message via MSN to Habitual Liar

Old
06-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Falcons93

OP is funny, would read again. The part about "your lil' bud Grabovski" killed me.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:36 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:

at least someone believes that keeping this team together for 1 more season won't cut it.

let's look at d. tallons' moves last season:

July 2011

Nolan Yonkman (D) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a two-year contract.
Sean Bergenheim (LW) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a four-year contract.
Tomas Fleischmann (LW) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a four-year contract.
Marcel Goc (C) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a three-year contract.
Ed Jovanovski (D) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a four-year contract.
Scottie Upshall (LW/RW) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a four-year contract.
Jose Theodore (G) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a two-year contract.
Kris Versteeg (RW) Acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers.

Matt Bradley (RW) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a two-year contract.
Greg Rallo (C) Signed as a free agent by the Florida Panthers to a one-year contract.
Keith Seabrook (D) Acquired from the Calgary Flames.
Sergei Shirokov (LW/RW) Acquired from the Vancouver Canucks.
Angelo Esposito (C) Acquired from the Winnipeg Jets.
Tyson Strachan (D) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a one-year contract.
Bracken Kearns (LW/C) Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Florida Panthers to a one-year contract.

now i realize that BB believes he might have to get things done through trades and not free agency, but look at these changes in the first 14 days of july! not a lot of big names being signed at all. you can't help but be impressed with what FLA did last season. some people believe that they were one of the top teams in the playoffs.

we have to give up quite a few of our players in order to right this ship.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:51 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
There's no one who listen's to Burke's end of year presser more than i do. i listen to it every few weeks so i can: question his previous moves, compare his transactions to previous GM's, and read between the lines in terms of what he's going to do in the near future.

-Brian Burke 2012

I predict an absolute house cleaning.

why? the short answer is that his team has failed to win. in order to change this team he will have to make trades as opposed to dipping into the UFA pool. when it comes to trades typically more bodies get moved.

i can't predict who will be coming in, but i can pretty much predict who is going out. you think that your 'lil bud Grabo is safe because he signed a 5 million dollar contract? think again. he's the first to go. you think that kadri is turning a corner so he's a lock for the Leafs' top 6. no way. he's small and soft. gone!

here's who's gone and here's who's got a shot at staying this October.

______ _______ Kessel
Mac ______ Frattin
Deschamps Connolly Ashton
Brown Hamilton D'amigo

Percy Dion
Gunn ______
_____ Komi
Liles

_______
Reimer

gone:

Lupul - stop gap, selling him while he is hot. there's no way he'll repeat last season's performance. RC won't tolerate his lack of interest in D and blocking shots. should help us land our top center

Bozak - softest player on the Leafs (all-time softest?). he should be playing in the National Non-Contact Hockey League

Grabo - we need more size in our number two position. at his best he is a 50 point guy. why is that worth 5 mill a year. too streaky. a Grabo/Lupul trade for a top Center could help this team. get a 2nd line center on the UFA market. they're out there and they are cheaper than 5 million.

Lombo - gone. you know why.

Armstong - gone. you know why.

kadri - too small and is soft as they come. he has nasty habits: holds on to the puck too long, takes very little interest in defensive zone coverage, and could care less about the game until the puck lands on his stick. you have the tools Naz, but you just can't use them properly.

Steckel - ok he's not bad. i even like the guy, but he could win draws for another team. we have people in our system that can win draws and score, pass, skate, and check better than Steckel. why not play a guy who doesn't win as many face offs, but can do other things Steckel will never do.

Schenn - really slow. really inconsistent. he will play better for another franchise. the change will help him. we can't wait around for his confidence to show up.

Gardiner - pretty overrated. Burke has the world fooled that he is some kind of special player. he's soft as butter. ultimately will wind up in the KHL or SEL.

Monster - bye bye. you have very few fans left in toronto. a lot of them are resenting you and your poor glove hand / puck handling/rebound control. say "hi" to Sweden for us.

Big changes are coming folks. the buds are going to get bigger and tougher (once and for all). you will see toughness and size throughout the line-up. burke won't take any more risks with the goaltending, and this will be a good thing.

i usually stick my neck out. i have spoken.

expect a house-cleaning.
a front office housecleaning maybe......u dont build a team and admit u totally crapped the bed ,especially in front of new owners ....and if u can pick out all these flaws ,what makes u think the other 29 gm.s are just gonna rush hee to your so called fire sale
like burke or not ,the sad reality is he has to go for rogers /bell to really get a look at what they have and havnt got
hes in no position to houseclean ,hes more handcuffed now than he ever has been in his career because next blundr burke makes ,may throw him outta hockey altogether
i predict the leafs maybe sheding salary ,but nothing earth shattering ,u gotta find the right suckers to take your junk of your hands ,,,,,usually means garage sale prices
i doubt burke will clear out his garage he spent 4 years organizing...

Closed Thread