HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to skate better ?

Old
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
LeftFoot
Rookie User

vCash: 500
How to skate better ?

Hi there,

Been a regular skater since 18 months and in the game since 10 months, so still very a beginner.

What I really like right now it to improve my skating skills : especially sharp turns and going backward.
Unfortunately I could not register to any power skate lesson : lesson start at 4:45, and I do have a job...

If you guys can give me any pointers on this it would be good.

Thx

LeftFoot

LeftFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
TUCKER 06

The best advice I can give you is to do a Youtube search.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

I got a lot out of this youtube video by M2hockey.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_gpW8Vmc

Also, Laura Stamm's book and videos have been helpful for me. http://www.laurastamm.net/Tight-Turns.aspx

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
AIREAYE

It's not ideal for beginners, but for me, I've found that skating on a good pair of roller skates (NOT the recreational boot ones) can give that extra stability for a boost in confidence. I've refined my sharp turns and backwards crossovers thanks to skating around for fun on roller.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
beth

For sharp turns you need to learn your edges. There are a ton of edge drills out there you can practice. For backwards, most of the difficulty is because it is so unnatural to go backwards, so you just have to force yourself to do it - like, spend equal time going backwards as much as you practice forwards. Eventually you get to a point where you dont even think about which way youre going, but you have go through the uncomfortableness of it for a while. Wear elbow pads.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's not ideal for beginners, but for me, I've found that skating on a good pair of roller skates (NOT the recreational boot ones) can give that extra stability for a boost in confidence. I've refined my sharp turns and backwards crossovers thanks to skating around for fun on roller.
Yep, works for me.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
For sharp turns you need to learn your edges. There are a ton of edge drills out there you can practice. For backwards, most of the difficulty is because it is so unnatural to go backwards, so you just have to force yourself to do it - like, spend equal time going backwards as much as you practice forwards. Eventually you get to a point where you dont even think about which way youre going, but you have go through the uncomfortableness of it for a while. Wear elbow pads.
This, and maybe even knee pads. I just took a tumble practicing my front-to-back mohawks on my bad side and banged my knee on the ice so hard I'm taking at a couple weeks off skating.

Even those simple, soft volleyball pads would have helped.

Generally speaking though, pads make a big difference in confidence. Finding your outside edges means you have to go over a few times. If you're afraid to fall, you'll have a hard time getting there.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
PaperworkNinja

If you're on the ice and have your protective gear on, don't be afraid to fall. Falling over a lot has helped me find a better idea of where my limits are as far as turning and stopping goes.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Get low. Make a mental commitment to keeping your knees bent, and your back straight. Consciously keep adjusting yourself back to proper position. It takes a while to develop the muscles and habits.

Literally every part of skating gets easier if you bend your knees a little more.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
TUCKER 06

a tip I picked up the other day from my practice session was to keep your back foot low on the kick-up after a stride. Don't kick them way up like people do when they are running.

Another good tip I pciked up was for when you are skating ful speed with a stick in one hand. A lot of people have a tendency to flop the stick left and right while skating all-out. Keep it straight and almost in a sawing motion. I'd think you'd expend a lot more energy flopping your stick around

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFoot View Post
Hi there,

Been a regular skater since 18 months and in the game since 10 months, so still very a beginner.

What I really like right now it to improve my skating skills : especially sharp turns and going backward.
Unfortunately I could not register to any power skate lesson : lesson start at 4:45, and I do have a job...

If you guys can give me any pointers on this it would be good.

Thx

LeftFoot
Can you get a private lesson with one of the rinks coaches? We've just started doing this with my son. His coach is actually a figure skating coach, but she coaches a lot of the youth hockey players. A half hour lesson runs about $30.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:16 PM
LeftFoot
Rookie User

Hi all,

Thx for all the answers !
I didn't realize how many materials there is on uTube !

And yes bending your knees is really the magic tip. It's just that you have to think of it ALL the time.

I suppose the key is to get as much ice time as possible. I tried using roller blade : feel very close, so this is probably a good idea. I am just not confortable about how to stop, I don't think trying a hockey stop is a good idea on these

LeftFoot

LeftFoot is offline   Reply With Quote