HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible candidates for Mellanby's vacant position.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Harley83

vCash: 500
Possible candidates for Mellanby's vacant position.

Who do you think will step in for Mellanby's position as assistant coach? I could see Davis Payne being a good candidate with his success in Peoria in the past and with his stint as the Blues head coach.

I feel if he could adapt to Hitch's style of hockey it would be an easy transition to head coach when Hitch retires.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Seriously, seriously doubt that you see Davis Payne behind the Blues bench. Would be way to awkward.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I think Tom Renney could be a possible candidate. He, like Hitch, focus' on the defensive part of the game. Could be a decent option.

We also have to remember that both Shaw and Bennet's contracts are up this year, if my memory serves me correctly. We could see a few new bench bosses this year.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Yep, more than likely we will see 3 new faces behind the bench. Hopefully Hitch finds a guy to run the powerplay, we really need an offensive mind to balance everything out.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Harley83

I don't think it would be too awkward to have Payne behind the bench again. He had good chemistry with the players, I just think his biggest downfall was making the transition mid-season from minor league coach right into the pro-level.

Under Hitch's tutelage I think he has lot of potential. He is still with the organization and says he wants to coach again and wants to see the team do well. I could see him being a head coach over Shaw. Shaw is a good person to have at the individual level but I don't know if he is vocal enough to take on head coaching responsibilities.

Renney didn't do too well in Edmonton and is only three years younger than Hitch. I would like to see a younger coach that can grow with the team as opposed to a couple year stint then retirement. But like said Renney does run a defensive style that could blend with Hitch's.

It'll be interesting to see who fills Mellanby's spot.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

That would be like hiring the past manager to be an hourly employee. He has to work under the person who took his job, and the players that he once had full control over, he no longer has that same control. It just won't happen.

It's nothing against Payne, it's just the way it works. He had his chance here and it didn't work out.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:17 PM
h22prelude93

Mellanby's main duties were working with the forwards and on the powerplay...so whoever replaces him will obviously have to be someone who fits that description. Edmonton had a 20% PP this season...perhaps Renney was a big part of that.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Linus

I would rather not see Payne behind the bench again in St. Louis. I'm sure he will make a fine coach in the NHL some day, but it's clear that he needs experience and I'd rather him get that elsewhere.

I would be open to bringing Renney in as an assistant coach. I wonder if he'd want to be an assistant. Jeff Marek of Sportsnet has always been complimentary of Renney and has said several times that he works well with young players. Not that I put any thought into the comments about how Hitch hates young players, but maybe a "players' coach" as an assistant would give a good balance (if Renney even is one, I'm just going off of hearsay). Mellanby worked with younger players, like Berglund. If his replacement could be someone who works well with younger guys, that'd be great.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
The idea of Payne returning as an assistant coach to the team where he was previously a head coach is ridiculous to me. Its great that the Blues are treating him well, finding a place for him in the organization, and letting him continue his hockey career while waiting for the right coaching position to become available....that's great. That's classy. But putting him behind the bench seems like a bizarre move from the players' perspective.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Harley83

I don't think it's that bizarre it's just a matter of checking your ego at the door. I highly doubt he would turn down a shot at being taken under Hitch's wing in hopes of being turned back into head coach considering the years he already has within the Blues organization and knowing the players strengths and weaknesses. At age 40 he was considered very young by pro standards. Guy Boucher is age 40 but time will tell if he will continue to coach in Tampa Bay if their record doesn't improve.

Another possibility that could work out well from a past affiliate of the Blues organization is Doug Weight especially with the rumors of the New York Islanders organization facing financial ruin. The Blues have a track record of hiring people that have had previous experience within the organization and I'm sure that will apply when filling Mellanby's position.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If Weight does leave New York, he could be an interesting possibility. Don't know much about his situation and if he wants to move. My gut says he could help the powerplay and the playmaking abilities of some of our players.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:39 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Didn't Weight kind of leave on bad terms? If I remember right didn't the Blues kind of force him to waive his NTC and he wasn't all that happy about it?

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
Didn't Weight kind of leave on bad terms? If I remember right didn't the Blues kind of force him to waive his NTC and he wasn't all that happy about it?
I forgot, maybe it wouldn't work, especially after that interior design fiasco lol.

I expect Hitch to hire his guys anyway.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:35 AM
kimzey59

Three names I keep going back to are Tom Renney, Guy Carbonneau and Doug Jarvis(not sure of his contract status with Boston).

All three have history with Hitch and all three focus on working with Forwards and Special teams units.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Three names I keep going back to are Tom Renney, Guy Carbonneau and Doug Jarvis(not sure of his contract status with Boston).

All three have history with Hitch and all three focus on working with Forwards and Special teams units.
Any of those guys would be fine as far as I'm concerned...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:41 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Seriously, seriously doubt that you see Davis Payne behind the Blues bench. Would be way to awkward.
The Devils' current situation is kind of awkward. Larry Robinson is the assistant to DeBoer. And of course that LR won a Cup with the NJ Devils not too long ago. Please don't misread this post as advocating for Payne. Payne should move on.

I think his current contract is expired or expiring soon. Didn't they keep him because he was under contract, so they used him somehow? I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:55 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
The Devils' current situation is kind of awkward. Larry Robinson is the assistant to DeBoer. And of course that LR won a Cup with the NJ Devils not too long ago. Please don't misread this post as advocating for Payne. Payne should move on.

I think his current contract is expired or expiring soon. Didn't they keep him because he was under contract, so they used him somehow? I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.
I may have read the situation wrong, but I think the Blues just did it as a classy move. They re-assigned him within the organization rather than firing him. That way they continued to honor his contract and allow his career to continue in some capacity. A young guy with a family who has gone through the ECHL and on with the organization, and wasn't exactly doing a horrible job as a coach...I think they threw him a bone.

Perhaps I'm understanding this incorrectly, but that's what I thought happened. They COULD have just fired him.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I may have read the situation wrong, but I think the Blues just did it as a classy move. They re-assigned him within the organization rather than firing him. That way they continued to honor his contract and allow his career to continue in some capacity. A young guy with a family who has gone through the ECHL and on with the organization, and wasn't exactly doing a horrible job as a coach...I think they threw him a bone.

Perhaps I'm understanding this incorrectly, but that's what I thought happened. They COULD have just fired him.
I think you are accurately reading the situation.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:53 PM
The Note
Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post

Personally I'd like to see Guy Carbonneau come and be a part of the coaching staff.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Personally I'd like to see Guy Carbonneau come and be a part of the coaching staff.
Guy Carbonneau would be great to have but I feel he is probably more interested in having a head job right off the bat rather than doing the whole assistant thing again.

He could be waiting for the Nordiques to form again to give the middle finger to Montreal.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:45 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
I
Another possibility that could work out well from a past affiliate of the Blues organization is Doug Weight especially with the rumors of the New York Islanders organization facing financial ruin. The Blues have a track record of hiring people that have had previous experience within the organization and I'm sure that will apply when filling Mellanby's position.
Wow.Overdramtize much

The isles have an awful lease that runs 3 more seasons.
Forbes says they lost $4.5m last season.

Their owner won't spend much higher the the cap floor, with no progress on a new arena.

In 2015,Wang will ..
1.Have a new arena from Nassau County
2.Move the team to Brooklyn
3.Sell to a local buyer
4.Sell to an out of state buyer

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wow.Overdramtize much

Their owner won't spend much higher the the cap floor, with no progress on a new arena.

In 2015,Wang will ..
3.Sell to a local buyer
Cool story bro

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:46 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Looks like Gary Agnew will replace Mellanby, former assistant to Hitch in Columbus and most recently head coach of the Oshawa Generals in the OHL

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
sdaltons

and Brad Shaw has been promoted to Associate Coach

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wow.Overdramtize much

In 2015,Wang will ..
3.Sell to a local buyer
I know that Quebec City is in the race to get a team and I really hope they get it. I think it would be cool to have the MTL vs QUE rivalry renewed. I have heard a lot of people say that Wang is the problem with the Isles along with the old arena. It's tough to say who will move first the Yotes or the Isles but I honestly would rather see it go to a Canadian team rather than another American one. If it was up to Bettman he would try to put a NHL team in Wyoming.