HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

6th overall pick

Old
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
By getting Gio it takes alot of preasure off SBisa Fowler and Vatanen to be top 4 guys.
Why is that a need?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Why is that a need?
Because relying on a 21 22 and 22 year old to be steady top 4 defenders as early as 2 seasons from now is unrealistic.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Because relying on a 21 22 and 22 year old to be steady top 4 defenders as early as 2 seasons from now is unrealistic.
That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? Just because Lydman and Lubo's contracts are up next year, doesn't mean that their usefulness will be. Considering that two of the young players are getting pretty close to being steady, I don't see the big deal.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? Just because Lydman and Lubo's contracts are up next year, doesn't mean that their usefulness will be. Considering that two of the young players are getting pretty close to being steady, I don't see the big deal.
I just dont want to be that guy that assumes the best with every UFA and prospect. I'm assuming we will not be able to sign a top 4 guy and I assume Lydman and Lubo are going to regress.

Playign at their best, the defense we have is amazing, but Sbisa and Fowler are just too inconsistent. Adding another 22 year old to the top 4 makes it too inconsistant.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Sbisa and Fowler are already in the top 4. The top 4 on defense going in to next year is set with Beauch-Folwer and Vis-Sbisa. Sure, it isn't a great top 4, but its set.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
The title should be: 'Value of: a #1b center to Anaheim?'

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
One 'bad' (by his standards) year and Visnovsky is a 3rd pairing defenseman... Despite being more productive offensively than any other defenseman on the team and the only defenseman to be a plus player other than Brookbank.

The number of post shots from his stick last year was just crazy. Next year half of those could go in, and if our offensive stars can bounce back (as well as the PP) Lubo is gonna get 45-55 points next season (or that pace barring injuries).

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:57 AM
NYR425

NYR would offer 1(28), F- Brandon Dubinski and D- Michael Del Zotto to Anaheim for 1(6). Please feel free to make a counter offer. Also NYR would offer the same package for Bobby Ryan.

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
One 'bad' (by his standards) year and Visnovsky is a 3rd pairing defenseman... Despite being more productive offensively than any other defenseman on the team and the only defenseman to be a plus player other than Brookbank.

The number of post shots from his stick last year was just crazy. Next year half of those could go in, and if our offensive stars can bounce back (as well as the PP) Lubo is gonna get 45-55 points next season (or that pace barring injuries).
I'm not bashing Vis when I put him there. It is more just a negative outlook on things and assuming he plays like last year or worse.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
The Lokomotiv incident hit Lubo pretty hard.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
The Lokomotiv incident hit Lubo pretty hard.
Ya he apparently is thinking of retirement.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:28 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Gionta, Tinordi, #50 overall?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Last 10 #6 picks

Mika Zibanejad
Brett Connolly
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Nikita Filatov
Sam Gagner
Derick Brassard
Gilbert Brule
Al Montoya
Milan Michalek
Scottie Upshall
Mikko Koivu

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Gionta, Tinordi, #50 overall?
Gionta is negative value to us. Too overpayed.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Mika Zibanejad
Brett Connolly
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Nikita Filatov
Sam Gagner
Derick Brassard
Gilbert Brule
Al Montoya
Milan Michalek
Scottie Upshall
Mikko Koivu
I think who did the picking in those years is more important than a borderline superstitious view of the pick number. For instance, look into the story of why Anze Kopitar's name isn't there but Brule's is.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

What would it take for the Leafs, without moving their 5th overall?

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
master4071

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
NYR would offer 1(28), F- Brandon Dubinski and D- Michael Del Zotto to Anaheim for 1(6). Please feel free to make a counter offer. Also NYR would offer the same package for Bobby Ryan.
We don't need Dubinsky and MDZ, especially for Ryan...Anisimov and Hagelin sounds more interesting for me...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
What would it take for the Leafs, without moving their 5th overall?
You have nothing.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Believe me, we know you'd offer the same package for Bobby.

As for the proposal, I think I'd rather Anisimov than Dubinsky. Dubinsky's salary is hard for us to justify. I also doubt that the Rangers would make that big of a trade, especially for a draft pick.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
You have nothing.
Always nice to get the objective opinion of an Oilers fan

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Always nice to get the objective opinion of an Oilers fan
While I'd be a little more diplomatic in my response, he's not wrong. You guys need centers, and so do we. The rest of our needs don't require moving the 6th overall.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by master4071 View Post
We don't need Dubinsky and MDZ, especially for Ryan...Anisimov and Hagelin sounds more interesting for me...
We're competing right now. Why would the Rangers trade two very good young roster players to take a kid who likely won't contribute for 2 years?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
I think who did the picking in those years is more important than a borderline superstitious view of the pick number. For instance, look into the story of why Anze Kopitar's name isn't there but Brule's is.
show me a team that doesnt make mistakes and i'll buy your argument. hindsight is so 100%... oh the guy just made a mistake who they picked... right

the truth is sometimes kids derail in their development... and it can be based on how they grow... whether they get off ice bad habits... their social life... their training... their confidence...

picking the right set of raw talent is fairly easy to do even at 18... the kids drafted top of the draft all have the raw talent to potentially become very good players... but then theres alot of factors that come into play just how the kid improves from there

a good team with a good way of handling its kids will usually have better success at turning picks into pros... but just because a team manages to draft at number 6 doesnt mean they will end up with the 6th best pro out of the draft.

statistically, by the time you get to pick number 6 you are at around 50/50 success rate of ending up with a difference maker in your lineup. thats simply the truth... and its the same for pick number 7 and pick number 8 and pick number 9...

half the guys you pick in these positions are going to be rather average at best when they get to the NHL

but at least at this pick level almost everyone makes it to at least being average nhlers... and by the time you get out of the top 20 you can no longer say that even half the guys become average nhlers...

so a top 6 pick does have value... you just dont throw 3 proven nhl assets at it to get it... thats insane

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
show me a team that doesnt make mistakes and i'll buy your argument. hindsight is so 100%... oh the guy just made a mistake who they picked... right

the truth is sometimes kids derail in their development... and it can be based on how they grow... whether they get off ice bad habits... their social life... their training... their confidence...

picking the right set of raw talent is fairly easy to do even at 18... the kids drafted top of the draft all have the raw talent to potentially become very good players... but then theres alot of factors that come into play just how the kid improves from there

a good team with a good way of handling its kids will usually have better success at turning picks into pros... but just because a team manages to draft at number 6 doesnt mean they will end up with the 6th best pro out of the draft.

statistically, by the time you get to pick number 6 you are at around 50/50 success rate of ending up with a difference maker in your lineup. thats simply the truth... and its the same for pick number 7 and pick number 8 and pick number 9...

half the guys you pick in these positions are going to be rather average at best when they get to the NHL

but at least at this pick level almost everyone makes it to at least being average nhlers... and by the time you get out of the top 20 you can no longer say that even half the guys become average nhlers...

so a top 6 pick does have value... you just dont throw 3 proven nhl assets at it to get it... thats insane
Some teams make more mistakes than others.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Murray on the upcoming draft: "Right now, centers are at a premium as much as defensemen are. If we stay at the sixth pick, we’ll get a defenseman or a centerman, one of the two, which is very good because you build your team from those guys. But if you want to make changes to your hockey team, this is the point in time you do it. The next couple of weeks could be interesting."

Sounds like the 6th overall pick is in play.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote