HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part IV) - "Is the lockout over yet?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 12:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Offer sheeting anyone would worry me.

Its shady ground you'd be stepping onto.

When one or several of our guys become RFAs your just asking for some teams to snatch them up just because.

Id rather not offer sheet. And do it the ethical way and make a trade.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:30 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabotrick View Post
I know Im probably the only one on this but if we were to lets say offer sheet anybody I think it would be Matt Duchene, he is exactly what we need, but I could see McGinn probably our 1st for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Offer sheeting duchene sounds decent
This would be stupid. Do you really want to be the most hated team in the league? Check that. Do you really want to cause bad blood when you have very talented young players such as Del Zotto, McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Erixon, and possibly Schultz... along with even others in the pipeline?

Need I say more?

Old
06-12-2012, 12:30 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
This would be stupid. Do you really want to be the most hated team in the league? Check that. Do you really want to cause bad blood when you have very talented young players such as Del Zotto, McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Erixon, and possibly Schultz... along with even others in the pipeline?

Need I say more?
Probably no need to worry...Sather despises offer sheets.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

When one or several of our guys become RFAs your just asking for some teams to snatch them up just because.

Have there been any retaliatory offer sheets? I can't think of any, although something with Edmonton seems to be in my head. I think in general, retaliation for offer sheets is a myth.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Gabotrick

Quote:

Im just giving suggestions I mean he is going to be a talent and the only reason I suggested offer sheet over trade was because of us probably going to finish in the late twenties from now one, not trying to drive up the price on him if colorado would resign him.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Have there been any retaliatory offer sheets? I can't think of any, although something with Edmonton seems to be in my head. I think in general, retaliation for offer sheets is a myth.
There was the whole thing with Vanek I believe. Burke I think offer sheeted Vanek when he was GM of ANA. I believe in response a team (maybe Buffalo) or another team was going to offer sheet Penner. Then Penner was dealt to edmonton. I forget, it was something along those lines. Someone can fill in the blanks.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:35 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Didnt Buffalo put an offer in for a Edmonton player after Edmonton offer sheeted Vanek?

I may be wrong, my mind has went blank

Old
06-12-2012, 12:38 AM
jskramer83

Question for people pro Radulov..........

What does Radulov bring to the table that Alexander Semin does not?

Only difference I see is Radulov is 3 years younger, But Semin has proven he can put up Elite numbers in the NHL.

Even with the age difference it is more then likely that if we made a run at either player, we would not offer any long term contract due to there similar reputations.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Kershaw

No. But the Canucks were pretty pissed when the Blues offers sheeted Steve Bernier(lollol). Canucks offer sheeted David Backes in retaliation.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
Didnt Buffalo put an offer in for a Edmonton player after Edmonton offer sheeted Vanek?

I may be wrong, my mind has went blank
I think you're right. Maybe it wasn't Burke. Maybe it was edmonton had offer sheeted Vanek. Then someone tried to offer sheet edmonton for Penner. LOL still trying to sift through my memory and sort it all out.

I'm sure RangerBoy would know.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post

Only difference I see is Radulov is 3 years younger, But Semin has proven he can put up Elite numbers in the NHL.

Even with the age difference it is more then likely that if we made a run at either player, we would not offer any long term contract due to there similar reputations.
Semin is a UFA and will command a larger contract. He also has a history of terrible enigmatic stretches during the regular season with the Caps. Radulov does not have a reputation for laziness. Granted, Radulov might be that player now, but I'd rather the risk of the cheaper player than the near-guarantee of the more expensive one.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Its generally frowned upon.

And i don't think Sather would ever do it, he's pretty old school about that stuff.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post

Radulov seems to play with more motivation. People have said he is better defensively, backchecking. And as you said 3 years younger.

Old
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:

Need I say more?
Doesn't mean its auto trade or whatever. Damn that guy was right. All of you are so quick to rage and attack. Are you so sure schultz is gonna come here? For those in our combine, the nhl is lots different than college and juniors. Bite your tongue. Hockey is a business.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:42 AM
NewYorkRangers89*

How much would Alex Semin cost? When the rumors start popping up i know we will be one of the teams that are interested in him, we always are.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Zucc Awes, No, I'm sorry. It is NHL12 thinking. The whole idea that you can just switch a player up takes out all reality. It never happens. If you aren't talking about building a hockey team in reality, the other place you're talking about it is in a video game.

The risk is that you bring in a player who isn't a good fit for the team, a likelihood that's increased by intending to play him on a side he's unaccustomed to, and you end up trading a player who already was a good fit for the team. We need a right defenseman. I don't mean a righty defenseman, because with something like 60%+ of the league's D being lefties, there are quite a few of them playing the right side. I mean a legitimate right D. Bryan Allen (L), Milan Jurcina (R), Bryce Salvador (L), Matt Carle (L), Jason Garrison (L), Corey Sarich (R), and Dennis Wideman (R) are our options amongst the UFAs who are right D. I like Allen and Jurcina the most, but any one of those guys would be fine with me, although I have concerns with Sarich and Salvador's skating. Another intriguing possibility is Adrian Aucoin if he has anything left in the tank. It's about balance. Bringing in Suter is about avarice.
I just disagree.

By your line of thinking, you wouldn't want to sign Jordan Staal because we already have a #1C in Richards, a #2C in Stepan (who in just two years, already has a better career high in points than Jordan Staal), and another borderline #2C in Anisimov who's average production is similar to Jordan's.

You wouldn't want to sign Staal to potentially play the wing, or potentially move Stepan to the wing if you think Jordan is a better fit there? And it's not smart to sign him and then deal from a position of strength?

Sign Suter. Try each one of Suter, McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto on the right side. Find the right pairings. If NONE of them are capable of playing the opposite side (completely unrealistic that none of them could), then you trade one or two of them, any two of which would command a gigantic return together, or two great returns separately.

No matter how you slice it, the Rangers win.

If you want to disagree with THAT reality, then we have nothing more to discuss. I'll keep playing my video game. :

Old
06-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Its generally frowned upon.

And i don't think Sather would ever do it, he's pretty old school about that stuff.
Yeah, that's a fair point. I was more or less just curious. I have no desire to offer sheet anyone.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Chief

What about Jonathan Audy-Marchessault?

He's not in our list of top prospects and he's a midget but is there any shot Jonathan Audy-Marchessault can help the Rangers next season? Twenty two years old and he put up 64 points in 76 games as a rookie in the AHL last season - good enough for tied for 10th in AHL scoring.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Dont know enough about the guy to really make a valuable prediction or hypothesis.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I just disagree.

By your line of thinking, you wouldn't want to sign Jordan Staal because we already have a #1C in Richards, a #2C in Stepan (who in just two years, already has a better career high in points than Jordan Staal), and another borderline #2C in Anisimov who's average production is similar to Jordan's.

You wouldn't want to sign Staal to potentially play the wing, or potentially move Stepan to the wing if you think Jordan is a better fit there? And it's not smart to sign him and then deal from a position of strength?

Sign Suter. Try each one of Suter, McDonagh, Staal, Del Zotto on the right side. Find the right pairings. If NONE of them are capable of playing the opposite side (completely unrealistic that none of them could), then you trade one or two of them, any two of which would command a gigantic return together, or two great returns separately.

No matter how you slice it, the Rangers win.

If you want to disagree with THAT reality, then we have nothing more to discuss. I'll keep playing my video game. :
Well, it just so happens that I don't want Jordan Staal. This whole idea of bringing in expensive players and playing them away from where their strengths are is just ludicrous to me. And bringing in players who will push the guys who are already here out of their role is the same thing. You bring in an expensive player because you need what he brings in the position he plays. We already had an experiment that, in my opinion, was an absolute failure in pushing young guys to the wrong position (Anisimov on wing).

And it's more unrealistic to say that any of our left defensemen successfully make the transition to right D than to say that it won't happen. I really don't think you understand what you're talking about. Name one top pair D who has ever switched sides after their career already began. You won't be able to.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I think we really need to get Audy-Marchessault a two-way NHL contract for this year. He could be a valuable call up and, as we've seen from this season, we need all the callup depth we can get.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
I think you're right. Maybe it wasn't Burke. Maybe it was edmonton had offer sheeted Vanek. Then someone tried to offer sheet edmonton for Penner. LOL still trying to sift through my memory and sort it all out.

I'm sure RangerBoy would know.
Tell me about it lol.

It's 5:50 am here, i can't be bothered looking it up and my brain is like mush

Old
06-12-2012, 01:00 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Our King responds to the LA Kings victory

Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30
It's tough to lose and to watch someone else lift the ultimate prize.. But it also gives me inspiration to work harder. Congrats LA Kings
https://twitter.com/HLundqvist30/sta...86821869551616

Old
06-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Well, it just so happens that I don't want Jordan Staal. This whole idea of bringing in expensive players and playing them away from where their strengths are is just ludicrous to me. And bringing in players who will push the guys who are already here out of their role is the same thing. You bring in an expensive player because you need what he brings in the position he plays. We already had an experiment that, in my opinion, was an absolute failure in pushing young guys to the wrong position (Anisimov on wing).

And it's more unrealistic to say that any of our left defensemen successfully make the transition to right D than to say that it won't happen. I really don't think you understand what you're talking about. Name one top pair D who has ever switched sides after their career already began. You won't be able to.
That doesn't prove anything.

There's no physical reason why Suter or Staal's skillet would disintegrate by shifting to the other side.

The argument that we've never seen a star defenseman switch to the other side with a new team holds little weight. No 8-seed has ever won the Stanley Cup. Oh wait, it just happened for the first time. If you flip a coin 99 times and they're all heads, it doesn't make it more or less likely to be heads the next flip.

These guys are human. They are capable of making adjustments, especially such elite athletes like Suter or Staal.

You'd rather have a defensive lineup of

Staal Corvo
McDonagh Kubina
Del Zotto Sauer

while I'd much rather have

Staal Suter
McDonagh Chara
Keith Phaneuf

I'd rather have better players adjusting to an unfamiliar side than less-skilled players who are familiar with their side.

Athletes adapt. They're human. They have the wonderful ability to learn. To practice.

You are free to completely disagree with me and think I'm completely wrong. No need to be a jerk about it, though. Have a respectful discussion or don't have a discussion at all, please.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:11 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

The offseason begins! bring on the draft and July 1st!

Closed Thread