HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toughness Debate Thread: Laraque making a come back?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 04:06 AM
  #301
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I like your D, all until Carkner, I would prefer Shane O'Brien. A guy who can take a regular shift & still drop the mits.
SOB is done and has some personal demons to deal with. Montreal is not the place for him in any way.

Staubitz is fine, we don't need "the best" fighter because they either never fight (laraque) or they end up dead. The guys on the bench liked him and he's big and tough enough to scare off the cretins. And he can almost assuredly pummel anyone on the Bruins save Chara, so that's a plus too.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:48 AM
  #302
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
SOB is done and has some personal demons to deal with. Montreal is not the place for him in any way.

Staubitz is fine, we don't need "the best" fighter because they either never fight (laraque) or they end up dead. The guys on the bench liked him and he's big and tough enough to scare off the cretins. And he can almost assuredly pummel anyone on the Bruins save Chara, so that's a plus too.
Stay classy now...

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:56 AM
  #303
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
He NEVER stood up for his teammates in Montreal. He did when he was in Pittsburgh, but never in Montreal.

**** him.
Really? What about when he took on May after Bouillon had to deal with him while Laraque was injured? Or when he followed Lucic on the ice like a real stalker. Common man, the guy was injured 75% of the time.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:02 AM
  #304
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I like your D, all until Carkner, I would prefer Shane O'Brien. A guy who can take a regular shift & still drop the mits.
And the myth of the mighty Shane O'Brien continues

Carkner would be a solid cheap addition. Split games between him and Diaz depending on what team we play against.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:17 AM
  #305
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nás na Ríogh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I like your D, all until Carkner, I would prefer Shane O'Brien. A guy who can take a regular shift & still drop the mits.
No not really, unless there's a linesman between him and the other guy, or if the other guy is much smaller. Biggest fake tough guy in the NHL.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:28 AM
  #306
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,792
vCash: 500
I think the only time BGL ever acted like an enforcer was when we played the Phoenix Coyotes a few years ago and Gretzky was still the coach. Phoenix went all out bat**** crazy and kept saying the refs were giving the Habs all the calls and they started doing stupid stuff. BGL had no choice but to act but he was almost forced into it.

BTW, I thought #99 was a great goon coach.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
  #307
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Stay classy now...
It's truth man. It's a sad reality for these guys, Rypien, Belak and Boogeyman (and their families) have my empathy a **** ton more than most others would give. I blame a lot of factors in their death but it's truth. I don't want a goon nor do I want a vegan gloryhound with a broken back.

I'm happy with Moen, Staubiz and White, and maybe Blunden playing the odd game.

(still need a 4th line centre though. Gaustad would be ace)

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 AM
  #308
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Carkner averaged under 12 mins per game in 29 games last season & just barely 7 mins in 4 gms in playoffs. He is not a regular shift every game player, why take up the roster space with his presence???
Yeah, I've been saying this on the Sens board all year, and got absolutely flamed for it. Especially after Carkner dummied Boyle in the playoffs this year, it was like you weren't allowed to say a single bad thing about his game, because Carkner was the perfect player, and deserved the Norris for his heroics against the evil arch-villain known as BOYLE.

He is a GREAT teammate, and a GREAT guy, and a GREAT fighter... but he led the entire team in sheltered minutes. Played against the worst quality competition of any Sen this year... and that includes rookies and other players we brought up specifically to play sheltered minutes: Rundblad, DaCosta, Filatov, etc...

He's also coming off a pretty bad knee injury that absolutely left him with less mobility this year than he had in the past, which is a scary thought as he's never been the most mobile guy.

IF you are willing to absolutely shelter Carkner and make sure you heavily manage his minutes, he can be an effective #6 guy who will throw 'em with the best of 'em... but if he's caught out there against the skilled speedy players in the league (and especially in the NE division), you're going to have a bad time.

The biggest hope anyone signing Carkner to a contract should have is that he returns to his 2009-10 form, when he was a big-time enforcer who could play 18 minutes a night without looking bad. I haven't seen THAT Carkner since early in the 2010-11 season.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
  #309
Valois
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
The biggest hope anyone signing Carkner to a contract should have is that he returns to his 2009-10 form, when he was a big-time enforcer who could play 18 minutes a night without looking bad. I haven't seen THAT Carkner since early in the 2010-11 season.
Do you think he may have still been dealing with injuries this season? He looked terrible in a lot of the season, I think the worst moment being when Kessel breezed past him, but then in the playoffs after he replaced Gilroy I thought he looked a lot better. If he played more like during the season that I think he'd be more than adequate as a third pairing D.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:30 AM
  #310
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valois View Post
Do you think he may have still been dealing with injuries this season? He looked terrible in a lot of the season, I think the worst moment being when Kessel breezed past him, but then in the playoffs after he replaced Gilroy I thought he looked a lot better. If he played more like during the season that I think he'd be more than adequate as a third pairing D.
I'm sure the injury had something to do with it, but the problem with knee injuries to 30+ year old guys is that you sometimes don't regain the speed you once had.

In Carkner's case, he had just enough speed to keep up before the injury. If he doesn't regain it, he's not going to be any more than a 6th/7th defenceman, ever.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
  #311
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Really? What about when he took on May after Bouillon had to deal with him while Laraque was injured? Or when he followed Lucic on the ice like a real stalker. Common man, the guy was injured 75% of the time.
I'm sure Lucic was emotionally destroyed by having Laraque stalking him. It really affected his play. Oh wait no, he was actually one of the best player for the Bruins and kept hitting our best players - leading his team to a sweep against us.

If Laraque wanted to make any difference, he would have dropped the glove and gave Lucic a lesson. That's it, there is no excuse. It's not like he would have been picking on a smaller, star player, Lucic's a dirty mother****er.

I will never forgive Laraque for his lack of guts in that series. One time in his whole career he had the opportunity to be a difference maker and he didnt had the guts to do it. Pathetic.

Stay far away from Laraque, Bergevin. Goons are useless nowadays.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
  #312
Killerguitar101*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I like your D, all until Carkner, I would prefer Shane O'Brien. A guy who can take a regular shift & still drop the mits.
Shane O'Brien is absolutly not a good fighter. He's nothing to stop Lucic and Thornton punking our little players. He's most likely going to be punked.

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
  #313
Killerguitar101*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's truth man. It's a sad reality for these guys, Rypien, Belak and Boogeyman (and their families) have my empathy a **** ton more than most others would give. I blame a lot of factors in their death but it's truth. I don't want a goon nor do I want a vegan gloryhound with a broken back.

I'm happy with Moen, Staubiz and White, and maybe Blunden playing the odd game.

(still need a 4th line centre though. Gaustad would be ace)
If you're okay with Staubitz, I'm guessing you would be happy with Matt Kassian too. A way better enforcer (Staubitz isn't an enforcer by any means) and he has two goals in 28 games (Staubitz has 1 empty-net goal in 62 games).

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:26 PM
  #314
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I'm sure Lucic was emotionally destroyed by having Laraque stalking him. It really affected his play. Oh wait no, he was actually one of the best player for the Bruins and kept hitting our best players - leading his team to a sweep against us.

If Laraque wanted to make any difference, he would have dropped the glove and gave Lucic a lesson. That's it, there is no excuse. It's not like he would have been picking on a smaller, star player, Lucic's a dirty mother****er.

I will never forgive Laraque for his lack of guts in that series. One time in his whole career he had the opportunity to be a difference maker and he didnt had the guts to do it. Pathetic.

Stay far away from Laraque, Bergevin. Goons are useless nowadays.
Just because Laraque was useless doesn't mean they all are. Some will actually defend teammates and stand up to clowns like Lucic.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
  #315
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
What? Georges already spent all his millions from the Habs? The vegan lifestyle is an expensive one I suppose...

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
  #316
overlords
Be quiet and drive
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Far Away
Posts: 26,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
What? Georges already spent all his millions from the Habs? The vegan lifestyle is an expensive one I suppose...
Guess teksavvy didn't pay him either.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
  #317
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 500
Shocking news:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Bergevin n'est pas intéressé à Laraque.


Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
  #318
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Shocking news:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Bergevin n'est pas intéressé à Laraque.

Great news !!!

I guess it's because he was not working for the right broadcaster....

Could not be that. Brisebois was just hired even he was a TVA Sports regular.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
  #319
Frankc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 181
vCash: 500


So glad Bergevin already announce that it's a no for Laraque...!

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
  #320
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Really? What about when he took on May after Bouillon had to deal with him while Laraque was injured? Or when he followed Lucic on the ice like a real stalker. Common man, the guy was injured 75% of the time.
No, I saw no need to have Laraque on the team after that debacle with Lucic.

Laraque (or any enforcer) should have skated up to Lucic, asked him to go and as soon as he said No, drop the gloves and commence to pound him down to the ice and then throw a couple of cheap shots as the linesmen tried to pull him off of Lucic. Take the instigator penalty or the game misconduct and leave knowing that the message was sent.

When a player puts himself (his stupid ass fighter's code) above the team, then he is of no use to the team.

In Pittsburgh, Laraque was a very aggressive fighter and stood up for his teammates........code be damned.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:36 PM
  #321
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Great news !!!

I guess it's because he was not working for the right broadcaster....

Could not be that. Brisebois was just hired even he was a TVA Sports regular.
phew
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu

For the record, Bergevin was asked point blank if #Habs would be interested in Georges Laraque. Respectfully, he said simply "No"
Expand Collapse

* Reply
* RetweetedRetweet
* Delete
* FavoritedFavorite

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  #322
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Thank God.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
  #323
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,906
vCash: 500
Parros, Konopka, Prust.... Just to name a few

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  #324
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101* View Post
Shane O'Brien is absolutly not a good fighter. He's nothing to stop Lucic and Thornton punking our little players. He's most likely going to be punked.

Ok he is not a goon, but at 6'3", 230lbs, 28yrs old & a willing combatant that plays over 18 minutes a game, was a plus 5 & scored 20 points last season on a not so great Colorado team, he is my preference as a 6th D-man on the Habs as opposed to a burnt out pylon that can't play 12 minutes a game, but can beat the shit out of just about anyone, if he can catch up to them!!!

Just sayin'!!!

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:18 PM
  #325
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101* View Post
Staubitz is no enforcer though. Staubitz would be fine as a 40-50 games solid middleweight fighter.

How I'd go is simple.

Sign Hudler, Carkner, Prust (or Asham/Glass/etc), instead of Staubitz, sign JF Jacques to add a local to the team.

Against physical teams:

Pac - DD - Cole
Hudler - Plek - Gio
Bourque - Eller - Moen
Jacques - White - Prust

Marky - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Carkner - Diaz

Against other random teams:

Pac - DD - Cole
Hudler - Plek - Gio
Bourque - Eller - Moen
Darche - White - Prust

Marky - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
St-Denis - Diaz

Hudler, no thanks, aren't we trying to get just a bit bigger & grittier???

I would like to see;


Pac - DD - Cole
Prust(making Plex & Gio play at least an inch taller, plus have winger that would drive the net) - Plek - Gio
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Blunden-Konpoka-White (Energy with a hint of havoc)

Marky - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
O'Brien - Diaz

Blackaces : Enqvist( centerman, Hamiltons most reliable player I understand from last season) , Staubitz (plays both wings & D if needed, versatile) , St. Denis (this kid deserves an opportunity)

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.