HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Free Agents Unwilling To Join Championship Teams?

Old
07-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Calirose

vCash: 500
Free Agents Unwilling To Join Championship Teams?

We know the old saying 'if it aint broke don't fix it' doesn't appeal to GM's. They know they should take any chance possible to improve their team and better their chances of winning the cup in future, regardless of their current situation.

It's no secret that in the wake of their most recent Stanley Cup the LA Kings have been eager to sign talented free agents to put themselves in the best possible position to repeat.

Somehow I get the feeling players would rather sign with a good but not championship team.

Perhaps they want to be that missing piece that pushes a team over the top instead of another member of a championship team the second time they won the cup.

In reality Doan could be just as big a part of improving the Kings or Pens chances enough to win it all. But the storyline would be different, if he were the missing ingredient or joining a team that has already done it all without him.

Is this why the Kings wont attract FA's?

Calirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Or maybe championship teams want to manage their cap better.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shellz

No. That would be stupid.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings simply do not have many vacancies or holes to fill. While Doan would be a great and welcome addition to their roster, the Kings aren't in a position of desperation to hand out outlandish contract offers to free agents.

I don't think it is a case of players not being interested in LA but more of Dean Lombardi unwilling to pay the going rate of what it costs to sign a UFA in today's market. He's done so in the past when he signed Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi and he's done a great job at retaining his players with contract extensions. He has shown that he is willing to pay fair market value to keep his players in the fold.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
IMO...It's quite simple..Teams don't repeat in this day and age. The Kings won their cup and most likely won't see one again for another long time. That's the reality of the new NHL with it's cap, parity and a host of other reasons. Just because a team wins a championship one year is no reason to jump on board.
Odds are it will be someone else next year and the trick will be FA's guess what teams have the best chance..

Obviously there are many reasons why players choose the teams they do but this is just my opinion on why they don't usually join the 'winning team'..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Good teams usually have chemistry that they aren't willing to break for just anyone. Probably why Semin will have to either sign with a bad team or go to the KHL. He is good, but not someone you risk losing chemistry over.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Xelstyle

More like the teams like LA and Pittsburgh have more or less set their teams before FA started.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

So far of the FAs good enough to be a missing piece anywhere as many have signed with good teams as have with championship teams, exactly zero. I guess, Garrison has signed with a good team probs close to a cup, but that's about as good as it gets in that group.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Kingler

I think its more of a case of the middle rank teams tossing tons of money toward the UFA. Many of the contracts dished out this summer has been quite ridiculous

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:19 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Kings have a fair number of guys who should be making a ton of money not too far down the line. They don't want to make the same mistake Chicago made.

Seriously... there was a time I thought Chicago was going to really bomb out as bad as the Lightning did.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Perhaps those teams spend money resigning their own UFAs? I don't have a good example for non-LA teams, but the Kings spent their energy and money resigning guys like Stoll and Quick rather than pursuing UFAs. It might be a stretch to look at Boston resigning Campbell and Kelly one season after winning the cup, but there are probably other examples out there.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
There's a few reasons.

1. Championship teams already have plenty of top 6 forwards/top 4 d-men, so UFA top 6 forwards/top 4 d-men would prefer playing on a team where they wouldn't have to compete for ice-time.

2. Fear of a Cup hangover.

3. No team has won back to back Stanley Cups since 97-98 (Red Wings).

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I think its more of a case of the middle rank teams tossing tons of money toward the UFA. Many of the contracts dished out this summer has been quite ridiculous
Have they? With the NHL working on a 70.2 cap I can't think of a single deal signed that was that bad.

Parise and Suter were signed for a very long time, yes...but in signing for that long they made a MASSIVE investment in themselves and the Wilds' fortunes. That puts Minnesota on the map. 7.5 AAV for those guys is not even bad at all. Great players get paid and great players get paaaid in UFA.

All the money any player gets in any big sport in the world today is ridiculous, but other than Parise and Suter signing for so long but I think they can both be VERY good for another 6-8 years, and depending on their commitment level getting up there in age may be great players well into their late 30's/early 40's. Look at a guy like Alfredsson.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Have they? With the NHL working on a 70.2 cap I can't think of a single deal signed that was that bad.

Parise and Suter were signed for a very long time, yes...but in signing for that long they made a MASSIVE investment in themselves and the Wilds' fortunes. That puts Minnesota on the map. 7.5 AAV for those guys is not even bad at all. Great players get paid and great players get paaaid in UFA.

All the money any player gets in any big sport in the world today is ridiculous, but other than Parise and Suter signing for so long but I think they can both be VERY good for another 6-8 years, and depending on their commitment level getting up there in age may be great players well into their late 30's/early 40's. Look at a guy like Alfredsson.
Parise's deal was an overpayment...for that player and considering the circumatances, it's fine...a good deal for the Wild. Suter's was an abomination. Add that to what Parise was already overpaid by and it's horrible.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
There's a few reasons.

1. Championship teams already have plenty of top 6 forwards/top 4 d-men, so UFA top 6 forwards/top 4 d-men would prefer playing on a team where they wouldn't have to compete for ice-time.

2. Fear of a Cup hangover.

3. No team has won back to back Stanley Cups since 97-98 (Red Wings).
If I'm looking at signing long term (5+ years), I don't know that the Cup hangover or teams not winning back to back in awhile would be issues. I'd be looking long term at what core/key players are signed and if the team can remain competitive in the future.

I do think the point you make, that most championship teams don't have many holes would be an issue for more free agents. For example, if you were a UFA center this summer, you'd look at the Kings and see they have Kopitar locked up through 2016, Richards through 2020, just signed Stoll for 3 more years, and have players like Carter, Fraser, Lewis, or Richardson that can play center on the roster and realize there's no spot for a center. I wouldn't say championship teams don't always have holes, like the Kings could use another goal scorer, but just because a team is the reigning champs, doesn't mean they're always the right fit for a player. If Parise wanted to go home, there's not much the Kings could do to change his mind.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote