HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 Draft Thread (con't.) - 12, 21, 42, 44, 73, 133, 163, 193, 204

Old
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
It's not laughable because of the player. It's laughable because the Oilers seem to be consciously minimizing their assets. Say for the sake of argument the three D-men are valued equally by Tambo. Rather than trade down with a team in the top 5-6 who will pay for "that guy" (or even draft Yakupov/Murray/Galchenyuk and move him for a greater return to a team who will pay through the nose) he chooses to take a player that practically no other team in the league would choose first.
Well, I personally think this and the claim that they are keeping the pick are just posturing, but maybe that's just me.
Teams probably balked at the thought of giving up a significant asset to move up since this draft is kind of a crapshoot, but one may pony up once draft day comes around.

And while Reinhart has never been touted as first overall talent, you never know what the teams actually think.
If they don't think there's a clear cut top prospect, Reinhart is a great option since he has everything you want in a defenseman.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Extra picks gives Sabres several draft options:
Quote:
Among the players with Buffalo connections who could hear their names called during the two-day draft are Dylan Blujus, Alex Iafallo and Tyler Wood.

Blujus is a 6-foot-3, 193-pound defenseman who is ranked as the 71st North American skater by Central Scouting. The Amherst native who played for Canisius High School and the Buffalo Regals has spent the last two seasons with Brampton of the OHL. He had seven goals and 34 points in 66 games last season.

Iafallo wasn't ranked by Central Scouting at the midway point but vaulted to 133rd after a solid rookie season with Fargo of the United States Hockey League. The 5-11, 165-pound forward from Eden had 17 goals and 32 points in 58 games.

Wood plays high school hockey in Massachusetts but was born in Buffalo in 1994 while his father, Randy, played for the Sabres. The 6-2, 189-pound defenseman is ranked 172nd among North American skaters.

The Sabres have picked players with local ties in two of the last three drafts. They selected West Seneca defenseman Alex Lepkowski last year and picked up Buffalo native Marcus Foligno in 2009.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:18 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Faksa is a good get. I would prefer Gaunce over Wilson at 21. There is still a need for a center in the mix more so than another big Kassian type. While we definitely do need size.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

All grown up and ready to play: Surrey NHL prospect Jujhar Khaira was once a pipsqueak. Not anymore.
Quote:
Cue the hard work and Khaira, who'd gone from 5-5 to 5-10 in the three months after being ignored in the WHL draft, put on 15 pounds and a couple of inches after training like a demon last summer to turbocharge the past season.

Khaira is now 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds - which is one of the reasons the pro scouts are so interested. His dad is 6-4, so don't think the growing is over.

Khaira, who'll attend Michigan Tech in the fall, says he wants to improve his shot release and skating this summer.

"He's a prototypical power forward, with more offensive up-side than most," said Hawes. "He's got a strong, powerful stride and also sees the ice extremely well."

Khaira trains with fellow Surrey native Kevin Sundher - who was drafted by Buffalo (75th overall) two seasons ago.

Both are members of the South Asian community - a group that's seen little representation in the NHL - but neither Khaira nor his dad get caught up in it.

"We've brought up our kids to fit in with everybody," said Sukh. " Don't treat anybody any different than you like to be treated."

Added Jujhar: "I don't think it matters at this point. No matter what your skin colour, everybody is fighting for the same spot."

Old
06-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Scott Laughton Isolation footage,

6'-0" 2 way center who plays good at both ends of the ice, shows flashes of high end skill at times but isnt overly creative. Plays a very similar game to Mike Richards.

Scott Laughton
Center
Born May 30 1994 -- Oakville, ONT
Height 6.00 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10 St. Michael's Buzzers OJHL 2 0 0 0 4
2010-11 Oshawa Generals OHL 63 12 11 23 58 10 1 1 2 11
2011-12 Oshawa Generals OHL 64 21 32 53 101 6 2 3 5 17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by 1972: 06-17-2012 at 08:40 AM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

HF's Buffalo Sabres 2012 draft preview is now up.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Awesome thanks! Are you going to be doing a GDT for the Draft this weekend?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp12148

Quote:
NHL draft: A dozen gems beyond the top 10

Projected 11-20

Brendan Gaunce, centre, Belleville Bulls (OHL) — Similar to Los Angeles Kings' Mike Richards and Washington Capitals' Books Laich, Gaunce is a heart-and-soul player who coaches love and teammates look up to. He blocks shots, back checks religiously, anticipates plays well, and is strong along the boards — proving to be an elite two-way centre.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pounder's offensive upside is not as strong as Yakupov's or Galchenyuk's, but it is still strong enough for scouts to project him as a future top-6 forward. He showcased his strong offensive abilities in his second season with the Bulls, scoring a point per game with 28 goals and 68 points.

Sebastian Collberg, wing, Frolunda (Elitserien) — Even though Forsberg has garnered the majority of the draft attention out of Sweden this year, Collberg isn't that far behind him.

Collberg possess superb offensive instincts, a lighting shot, and good speed. His elite skill was evident at the U-20 world juniors in Alberta this year. He netted four goals and seven points in six games, outscoring Forsberg by six points.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound winger is, however, like nearly every player in this draft, a long-term project. He needs to improve his strength and defensive play. Nevertheless, if he reaches his full potential, he could blossom into a star like Ottawa Senators' Daniel Alfredsson.

Projected 21-30

Dalton Thrower, defence, Saskatoon Blades (WHL) — There's a lot to like about Thrower. He has great character, is responsible in his own end, is tough as nails, and possesses great offensive upside, which is evident in his 54-point season on the Blades' back end this year.

Although Thrower isn't regarded as a future cornerstone defenceman, the 6-foot, 185-pounder seems to be a player who could play on a team's No. 1 power play and penalty kill. This complete game has drawn some comparisons to the likes of Montreal Canadiens' P.K Subban and Vancouver Canucks' Kevin Bieksa.

Malcolm Subban, goaltender, Belleville Bulls (OHL) — Subban's pure athleticism and elite composure has separated him from the rest of the North American goaltenders of the 2012 draft class. As noted by puck-stopper scout Justin Goldman in Yahoo's column on the top netminders of the draft, "I think Subban is the top goalie available. And I think most scouts agree with this due to his tremendous butterfly foundation."

The middle son of the Subban clan thrived in his second season with the Bulls, posting a .923 save percentage and a 2.50 goals-against average. The 6-foot-1, 188-pounder is considered the favourite to represent Canada in the blue paint at next year's world juniors.

Tom Wilson, wing, Plymouth Whalers (OHL) — Wilson isn't just a typical power-forward. He's a 6-foot-4, 200-pound wrecking machine who would slash his own grandmother in the back of the legs if she looked at him the wrong way on the ice.

The Toronto native, who has been compared to Boston Bruins' Milan Lucic, spiked his draft stock with an outstanding post-season showing. Despite spending 39 minutes in the sin bin, Wilson still found the time to score seven goals and 13 points in 13 games.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

NEHJ -- 2012 NHL Draft Profiles: Brendan Gaunce, Stefan Matteau.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Stefan matteau intrigues me with our seconds but I doubt he is there

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
‏@JeffRussoWKBW

#Sabres Draft... "For us to move up in top five low percentage"

So much for Gally.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
‏@JeffRussoWKBW

#Sabres Draft... "For us to move up in top five low percentage"

So much for Gally.
It was always a long shot...teams in the top 5 just don't move down...and it takes two to tango.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It was always a long shot...teams in the top 5 just don't move down...and it takes two to tango.
They especially don't move back outside of the top 10.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Faksa is a good get. I would prefer Gaunce over Wilson at 21. There is still a need for a center in the mix more so than another big Kassian type. While we definitely do need size.
I agree, but I really like this wilson guy.

Do you think that there is any chance to get Wilson @ 42?

I think pick # 44 is going to be a goaltender.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
The Living Beast

Do you guys think that a video on the Dracy conference will be up on Sabres.co tonight?

The Living Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ruman Ndur

Link to audio of pre draft Q & A:

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/57818372/d...-draft-q-a.htm

Sorry if already posted elsewhere. The audio is also not that great, Darcy and Devine's mics cutting in and out and the questions not audible.

Ruman Ndur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I agree, but I really like this wilson guy.

Do you think that there is any chance to get Wilson @ 42?

I think pick # 44 is going to be a goaltender.
Highly doubt it. If the Sabres want him he's 50 50 at 21. His playoffs and combine raised his value . Stefan matteau on the other hand might be available at 42 although that's still pushing it

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:27 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruman Ndur View Post
Link to audio of pre draft Q & A:

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/57818372/d...-draft-q-a.htm

Sorry if already posted elsewhere. The audio is also not that great, Darcy and Devine's mics cutting in and out and the questions not audible.
Looks like there open to pretty much anything that betters the team. Does not look like they move up into the top 5 spots. But they mentioned moving up from 21 to 15-18 if there was someone there that they wanted. They also talked about how prospects/draft picks are playing a lot sooner in comparison to the past and how the salary cap and ELC have to do with it. No longer are the years of developing players for 4-6 years. Going to be more like 1-3 years from now on. Either way we are going to be replenishing our prospect pool!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:52 PM
gallagt01

Looks like Grigorenko has fallen out of MacKenzie's top ten. He has Maataa and Faksa both ahead of him.

I'm really beginning to wonder what the odds of Grigorenko falling to Buffalo are...

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Grigorenko at 12 on McKenzies draft rankings, which are a scouts consensus..

Hello!

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I really hope he doesn't fall to 12 because I am 99.9% sure we will pass on him as well and if that happens I may just have a coronary... Devine's comments pretty much back this up with the risk of him going to the KHL

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:01 PM
jfb392

Grigorenko at 12 is hilarious.
Scouts obviously listened to Scott Arniel, as they just "keep piling on".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
I really hope he doesn't fall to 12 because I am 99.9% sure we will pass on him as well and if that happens I may just have a coronary... Devine's comments pretty much back this up with the risk of him going to the KHL
I didn't listen to the press conference, but they'd be stupid to do that.
He hasn't shown any indication that he'll go to the KHL and will be staying in Québec for all but one week this summer training.
Sure sounds like a player that is dying to go play in the KHL.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
The Caps won't let Grigorenko slide past them.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:19 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I should be more clear jfb, that's what Devine and the Sabres are worried about, I would take him no questions asked at 12. Hell, I would trade ahead of Washington for him (agree with Zip)

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
I should be more clear jfb, that's what Devine and the Sabres are worried about, I would take him no questions asked at 12. Hell, I would trade ahead of Washington for him (agree with Zip)
Yeah, I'm listening to the presser right now and I'll be completely honest, Devine sounds stupid when talking about Russians.
He cites things like Radulov walking out on his contract to play in the KHL (which is no longer possible) and claims that Yakupov is either going to be in the NHL or KHL next year.
If Yakupov signs an NHL contract, he goes where the NHL team tells him, end of story.
Typical character assassination for no reason besides the fact that these players have (or in the case of Galchenyuk, once had) a Russian passport.

He doesn't even know the easy things, like how long Galchenyuk actually lived in the States, so I wouldn't expect him to know the big things either.