HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Find this team a top pairing LD

Old
06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Find this team a top pairing LD

I think heading into the off-season, this is the biggest hole that the Avalanche currently have on their roster. The only other area that might give it a run is on the wings, but we're still ok in that area now with the likes of Downie, McGinn, Mueller, Landeskog, Hejduk and Jones back in the mix for next year.

I think it's safe to say the ideal fit for the team is UFA Ryan Suter. It's almost a lock that he'll be leaving the Predators, hitting the open market and likely locking down a huge deal.

We have an ideal spot for him, on the left hand side, beside Erik Johnson. They're both Americans and we have the cash to spend, but I think it's a pipe-dream to expect him to sign in Denver. My bet is that he lands in Detroit, taking up the spot left vacant by the retiring Nick Lidstrom. It just makes too much sense for it to not happen.

The UFA crop is not great and it's getting smaller, leaving the Avs limited to options including Garrison, Wideman, Kuba, Corvo, Stuart, Colaiacovo etc.

But that list includes the guy I want the most, Jason Garrison. He would play on our top PP, play 24+ minutes a night, move the puck well and defend ok. He would essentially be the guy that the organization hoped Kyle Quincey would become. With that being said, I expect him to also sign elsewhere. Probably Vancouver, because he has already expressed a known interest of landing there.

The list above doesn't include the one guy I just have a hunch we'll be after. That guy is Matt Carle, a player who has spent the last few years playing with the Flyers.

He's 27 years old, a left handed shot, played 23 minutes per night last season and is coming off of 3 straight seasons of 35+ points.

He's not a great defender, but he fits what we need. A left handed puck mover who can play minutes. It was clear that we went through long stretches this season without getting good pucking moving play from our D. That's why Matt Hunwick stuck out so much this year, because he did an alright job of it. He will still fill that role as a bottom pairing guy. He's not able to play big minutes.

I think ideally we would want a guy who is better defensively than Carle is, but the options are limited. I'm still comfortable with the rest of our D's ability to play defensively, guys like Hejda, O'Byrne, Johnson and Wilson are all good enough for now.

So in my opinion they will go after Carle, with him eventually signing somewhere in July for 4-5 years at roughly $4 or $5 million per season.

Here's how we could look if we get him, with the understanding that we let O'Brien walk:

Matt Carle - Erik Johnson
Jan Hejda - Ryan O'Byrne
Ryan Wilson - Stefan Elliott/Tyson Barrie
Matt Hunwick

Who do you think this team could be after?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Agreed except for I'd put Wilson with O'Byrne and Hejda with Elliott or Barrie to spread out the offense/defence on D.

Suter/Garrison/Carle-Johnson
Hejda-Elliott/Barrie
Wilson-ROB

First pairing gets monster minutes while the other 2 get equal
minutes with Hejda and ROB soaking up a ton of PK time.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
BoxOfChocolates

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Garrison can't afford to pass up the payday he may garner from a desperate team, in my opinion. Doubt Vancouver lands him despite the rumors.

I don't see Colorado as the final destination for Suter, but we're far from the least likely, I'd worship Sherman if he pulled that off.

I think we'll pull off a trade to address our needs at the deadline, after Sherman has assessed what this group can do during a longer stretch together and making use of a healthy EJ. We will also likely have better assets to be moved come the deadline, since we can determine who is worth keeping.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Foppa Frossa

I thought the twitterblogs said that Carle resigned with Philly but that they can't announce it until July 1 for some reason.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
I thought the twitterblogs said that Carle resigned with Philly but that they can't announce it until July 1 for some reason.
We're ****ed if that's the case

Old
06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Great post. Too often on these boards people just smash lines together without thinking about the left/right hand preference that Sacco goes with.

There is a definite hole with a left handed shot on the defense. Without a signing, we are relying heavily on Ryan Wilson and Cameron Gaunce (Gaunce in case of injury)

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
No, there has been nothing. This is from 3 days ago:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=163240&spln=1

Quote:
Philadelphia GM Paul Holgren believes he can re-sign potential unrestricted free agent Matt Carle.
"I have had enough conversations with Matt to know what he is about and know that he wants to stay in Philadelphia," Holmgren said. "We'll see how it all works out." The Flyers are hopeful that they will be able to agree to a deal that will pay him slighly below his market value, as it is projected that he could earn around $5 million per year if he enters free agency.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Great post. Too often on these boards people just smash lines together without thinking about the left/right hand preference that Sacco goes with.

There is a definite hole with a left handed shot on the defense. Without a signing, we are relying heavily on Ryan Wilson and Cameron Gaunce (Gaunce in case of injury)
Thanks.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Garrison was on Vancouver based radio and he was asked if he would like to play there, of course he said yes, but I wouldn't read too much into that. As Lonewolfe said he'll look for a big payday, I doubt Vancouver will be willing to offer him too much.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I really just cannot see Suter signing in Detroit. Everything that has been said about how highly he values his family and what he wants in the city he mvoes to just makes me think there no chance he goes to Detroit.

Especially after what Poile said the other day, I just cant see him going to Detroit.

I think its either Nashville, Colorado, or Minnesota for Suter, each city fits what his family wants/needs and all have the money to spend on him.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I really just cannot see Suter signing in Detroit. Everything that has been said about how highly he values his family and what he wants in the city he mvoes to just makes me think there no chance he goes to Detroit.

Especially after what Poile said the other day, I just cant see him going to Detroit.

I think its either Nashville, Colorado, or Minnesota for Suter, each city fits what his family wants/needs and all have the money to spend on him.
I agree.

I can't even count how many people have told me that Detroit is a terrible city to live in. Young UFA's like Suter, Parise etc.. wont pick Detroit to be the place they settle for many years.

Players who go to play for the Wings are those who want to go there for a year or two hoping they can win the cup right away.

I'm sure Suter wants to win the cup too, but i don't see him going to Detroit for 5, 6 or 7 years.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I hate to support Detroit here, but as someone who lives in the greater Philadelphia region I have to state this.

Just because the city sucks, doesn't mean the regions outside the city wouldn't be what Suter is interested in. I have no idea what the suburban areas are like outside Detroit, but it isn't out of the question for rich people to purchase lavish homes a half hour outside where they play and settle down there.

In fact, most Philly sports stars live in NJ. I would assume most Detroit sports stars live outside of Detroit.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Red Wings live in places like Bloomfield Hills, not Detroit and Bloomfield is really nice.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
I've never actually heard a convincing reason why Suter won't resign in Nashville.

Is it purely money-related?

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Cynthesis

I disagree that defense is where our biggest hole is. Ya our defense was nothing special last season, but we still had the 12th fewest goals against in the league. Which is also partly due to our goaltending, not just the defense. But we were ranked 23rd in the league in goals for. Scoring was by far our biggest hole last season.

Cynthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:30 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthesis View Post
I disagree that defense is where our biggest hole is. Ya our defense was nothing special last season, but we still had the 12th fewest goals against in the league. Which is also partly due to our goaltending, not just the defense. But we were ranked 23rd in the league in goals for. Scoring was by far our biggest hole last season.
With a healthy Duchene and Mueller plus a full year of McGinn and Downie our offense will look a lot better. While our defense if we don't upgrade it may have Ryan Wilson on the top pairing which is not something a team should do if they are looking to make the playoffs.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
ScotAv

There doesn't appear to be one. Just that he'll garner a lot of offers on the market and he'd be high not to at least listen to some of the ridiculousness that will be thrown his way.

I'd like to think we stood a top 3 chance, us Minnesota and Wings, but I reckon we're the last of his options if you know what I mean.

I don't see the pull of the Wings. Yeah they are always in the mix, but they have an aging roster and don't seem to have any game changing talent on the verge of coming in.

The Wild are the ones I'm worried about. Granlund, Koivu, Seto etc, plus a few good prospects plus whoever they go after at #7 this year, they could have a good sell to him.

Plus, there he'd be a bona fide #1. Here? Is EJ #1 even if Suter was to come? Or does Suter become #1?

If I'm Suter I'm taking a long hard look at the Avs, but I'm leaning closer to the Wild.

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
With a healthy Duchene and Mueller plus a full year of McGinn and Downie our offense will look a lot better. While our defense if we don't upgrade it may have Ryan Wilson on the top pairing which is not something a team should do if they are looking to make the playoffs.
I agree. With Downie and McGinn instead of Gally and Winnik, the goal production will definitely get a boost. We have three lines that can definitely score now and our 4th line might even chip in with Olver. Puck movement could definitely use some help, we can't just let EJ do it all.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Been saying Carle for months now. Philly doesn't have a whole lot of cap room, Avs need a LD dman, Carle played at U of D.

I had the available UFAs ranked as
1. Suter (10% chance we get him, going to DET)
2. Stuart (1 % chance, rights traded to SJ so 0% now)
3. Carle (75% chance)
4. Garrison (10% chance, going to VAN)
5. Allen (2%)
6. Jackman (2%)

Think the Avs would rather trade Barrie+ for a top 4 dman than sign Allen or Jackman. There's really no one else UFA other than those 6.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
I've never actually heard a convincing reason why Suter won't resign in Nashville.

Is it purely money-related?
Nope, Preds have loads of $ to spend.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:54 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

I think Suter will become overpaid for his skill level, so I'd like the Avs to stay away from him.

What about a guy like Jackman? Don't know what side he plays on and didn't get a chance to see him play this year.

Go Hrvatska!

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Nope, Preds have loads of $ to spend.
OK, then can you give me one good reason why he would leave?
There's something I'm missing here.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I'm friends with enough Flyers fans to know he's not good.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I'm friends with enough Flyers fans to know he's not good.