HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Find this team a top pairing LD

Old
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
How do you overpay a top 5-10 defencemen in the NHL?
I don't think he'll be a top 5 d-man next year, but that' just me.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
I'm an Avs fan from the metro Detroit area and it's a fine place to live (besides all the hypocritical arrogant red wings fans). They could definitely end up there, which sucks. I don't want Suter or Parise living in the same state as me.
Well i recently was working in advertising industry and i had many clients in Detroit area and most of them were telling me that Detroit is not a good place to live in, but there are good suburbs and many of them lived there.

And i think many if not all Red Wing players live in suburbs, i guess Suter could end up somewhere there who knows. But lets hope he goes to Denver instead!!!!

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Do you mean point totals? Or overall play?

I have very little doubt that Suter will not play like a top 10 dman. Does that necessarily mean he'll be in the top 10 in points? Not necessarily. But as far as overall play for a defenceman, he'll be a top 10 guy.

Most players in the NHL rely on their surroundings to help them be what they are. Suter's abilities of defending while generating offense, both in an top-tier way, make him a top 10 dman.

The guy can play in all situations, log tons of minutes, is effective in all three zones, plays confidently and is secure with the puck, and is a nightmare to play against.

Even if he drops to 35 points a year, he'll still be a top 10 guy in the league based on all his other abilities.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Maldini3

Suter or bust

Maldini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:14 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Do you mean point totals? Or overall play?

I have very little doubt that Suter will not play like a top 10 dman. Does that necessarily mean he'll be in the top 10 in points? Not necessarily. But as far as overall play for a defenceman, he'll be a top 10 guy.

Most players in the NHL rely on their surroundings to help them be what they are. Suter's abilities of defending while generating offense, both in an top-tier way, make him a top 10 dman.

The guy can play in all situations, log tons of minutes, is effective in all three zones, plays confidently and is secure with the puck, and is a nightmare to play against.

Even if he drops to 35 points a year, he'll still be a top 10 guy in the league based on all his other abilities.
Overall play. For some reason, Suter's situation reminds me of Seabrook (or even Bouwmeester). He'll still be a good player, but not quite as good as his salary is going to indicate (assuming he gets 7+ like some are predicting).

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
As much as I want Suter, Im not willing to offer him much more than 6 x 6. I do not want to risk the future for the present ala Chicago after the cup (Varlamov, Landeskog, Johnson, Duchene, o'Reilly are all going to need more money in the future, as will Barrie/Elliott/Siemens).

Unless of course the Avs come out and say they'll spend to the cap from here on out.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

vCash: 50
http://thehockeyguys.net/breaking-ma...to-reach-deal/

Quote:
According to sources close to the situation, Matt Carle’s deal with the Philadelphia Flyers is expected to be announced on July 1. Although I’m told a finalized deal is NOT in place at this time, a final agreement is close.

It is believed that Carle and his camp will be looking for a deal for three or more years at over $12.75-million.

Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Lame.

Wilson and Hunwick on the top pairing FTW.

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
Lame.

Wilson and Hunwick on the top pairing FTW.
...there's still Suter, Garrison, Jackman and Allen...*shrug*

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Fair enough, but I disagree, he's top 5-10 and a perfect fit for what our team needs. Would really take us up a level with so much more talent left to tap.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
...there's still Suter, Garrison, Jackman and Allen...*shrug*
We can only pray

Old
06-11-2012, 10:31 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Niklas Hjalmarsson could be a trade target. Keith and Seabrook are signed for a long time, Oduya and Montador each have three years left on their deals, and Leddy is coming up.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Niklas Hjalmarsson could be a trade target. Keith and Seabrook are signed for a long time, Oduya and Montador each have three years left on their deals, and Leddy is coming up.
I like the way you think!

Only question is, how what do we need to give.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:56 PM
AvalancheFan19

We need Suter.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
We need Suter.
True, but it's not likely that we sign him.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

I want nothing to do with Bryan freakin' Allen. We're going to be screaming at him in every GDT when he gets beat to the outside each shift and can't complete a breakout pass to save his life.

Barret Jackman in a more defensive, veteran role sounds good. Suter is a pipe dream. Garrison is going to be overpaid for his goal tally and won't produce that number again, although he's a good player. The rest of the pickings are awfully thin.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I want nothing to do with Bryan freakin' Allen. We're going to be screaming at him in every GDT when he gets beat to the outside each shift and can't complete a breakout pass to save his life.

Barret Jackman in a more defensive, veteran role sounds good. Suter is a pipe dream. Garrison is going to be overpaid for his goal tally and won't produce that number again, although he's a good player. The rest of the pickings are awfully thin.
I'm still in the boat that the Avs will add no one.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:03 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
I'm still in the boat that the Avs will add no one.
Certainly possible.

"NHL" defensemen: Johnson, Hejda, O'Byrne, Wilson, Hunwick

Bubble: Gaunce, Elliott, Barrie

It would require 2 of those bubble boy prospects making it, which is not outside the realm of possibility.

However, even if we don't add a top pairing D, I think it's 90% likely we'll at least add an O'Brien type... signing later in the summer, depth defenseman with NHL experience.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
Carle will re-sign will Philly.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
The hole we have on the left side needs to be filled with a guy who has some offensive skill to him. We're in trouble if we fill that hole with Bryan Allen or Barrett Jackman.

The top 3 targets need to be Suter, Garrison or Carle.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Freaky Styley

If we are out of the Suter sweepstakes and know it, I'd like to see a package deal that includes Elliott or Barrie for an upgrade on the left side (like Hjarmalsson), then go hard for Justin Schultz.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
If we are out of the Suter sweepstakes and know it, I'd like to see a package deal that includes Elliott or Barrie for an upgrade on the left side (like Hjarmalsson), then go hard for Justin Schultz.
I thought the Hawks fans thought that Hjalmarsson is even worse than Oduya?
Do we really want that here?

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Schultz supposedly said he already decided where he'll sign and the fact that Hawks FO has more faith in Oduya that in Hammer, speaks volumes about Hammer.

On another note, in case we struck gold and sign Suter would you guys think that going after Enstrom (in what would be a move to solidify our d for years to come) would be a good idea?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Elever
Hth

^ I doubt you'll get two no1 dmen like Suter and Enstrom. Enstrom if he plays healthy next year like he did before this season will be getting 5.5 M+.

And we're not looking like the destination that FA's wanna go to as much anymore. So we're not too high up on the list. I would rather sign Enstrom at $5-6 M though than give Suter $7 M+.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Hjalmarsson would have been a good fit in Hejda's role, but since we have Hejda for a few years, they need to be targeting a guy who can contribute more offense, while not being out of place on a top line. As high as we are on EJ's future, he may not be able to play his solid D and contribute at a 40+ point pace. The Avs need more offense from the backend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
According to sources close to the situation, Matt Carle’s deal with the Philadelphia Flyers is expected to be announced on July 1. Although I’m told a finalized deal is NOT in place at this time, a final agreement is close.

It is believed that Carle and his camp will be looking for a deal for three or more years at over $12.75-million.

http://thehockeyguys.net/breaking-ma...to-reach-deal/
It certainly appears he may re-sign in Philly with all these reports lately, but those numbers seem awfully low for what they're asking for. I would think they'd be looking for at least three years at $15 M, not that's I'm sold he's worth that, but someone would give him that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
The hole we have on the left side needs to be filled with a guy who has some offensive skill to him. We're in trouble if we fill that hole with Bryan Allen or Barrett Jackman.

The top 3 targets need to be Suter, Garrison or Carle.
I haven't had the time to fully sift through what the real deal is with Garrison. Lots of conflicting info. I would guess a lot of his goals came from having a setup up partner like Cambell on the PP and 5 on 5. EJ wouldn't really fill that role, so would imagine his numbers would drop a bit.

That might be ok, if he can still play fairly solid D, and be a good mobile puck rusher from the backend. If he's coming on a deal in the $4M range, those two things are more important to evaluate then expecting him to score 16 goals again.

Quote:
I haven't brought it up really, but I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Elliott seems like he could be a good contributor, but it seems he has many years left of developing his game before he can be relied upon too heavily, if he gets there. Barrie doesn't seem like he'll be good enough offensively or defensively to be much more than a 3rd pairing PP guy.

These are just my initial impressions, but if they can be part of a package to bring in a top pairing D which will be much harder to add, than a potential top four guy which the Avs have in spades, I wouldn't have any issues with it.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote