HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks acquire rights to Brad Stuart for conditional 2014 7th rounde pick and TOM

Old
06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Hold the Pickles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Then we'll sign Stuart, and trade Boyle, Murray, Niemi, and Clowe for a speedy top 6 winger, a better goalie, a viable 3rd and 4th line, and many prospects.
... then blame next years failure on too much roster change.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
Wow. Bold statement, dude! Do you live in Detroit? Have you ever lived there? Besides, none of the players actually live IN Detroit anyway. They live in upscale suburbs like Grosse Pointe and Novi. And yes, the Wings can offer Suter something a lot of other teams can't, like, the chance to play for an Original Six team, one of the most highly regarded owners and GM in sports, the salary and term he wants, etc. Want me to continue?
Outside of the original six aspect, there are plenty of teams that have highly regarded owners and GM's that will offer him the salary and term he wants. The original six thing is overrated when it comes to UFA sweepstakes. What made people go to Detroit wasn't the original six. It was the winning ways and that is in doubt now with Lidstrom retiring.

There isn't anything unique about Detroit that other teams can't offer.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:03 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
How many years in a row have they made the playoffs?

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Outside of the original six aspect, there are plenty of teams that have highly regarded owners and GM's that will offer him the salary and term he wants. The original six thing is overrated when it comes to UFA sweepstakes. What made people go to Detroit wasn't the original six. It was the winning ways and that is in doubt now with Lidstrom retiring.

Only non-Original Six teams say it's overrated, because they don't understand. You're right about other teams with regarded owners/GM's and the salary and term they can offer, but you said ANY team can offer him this stuff. No, they can't. And just because Lidstrom is retired now doesn't magically put our 'winning ways' in doubt. The team will still thrive without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
20 years. But who's counting...

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Only non-Original Six teams say it's overrated, because they don't understand.
By that logic, only the original six teams say there are more special.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:13 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
By that logic, only the original six teams say there are more special.
Only Original Six teams say they are special, because they overrate the importance of it.

I seriously doubt any player in the league puts Original 6 on their checklist of what teams they prefer. It's all about location and the team's future. While suburban Michigan is pretty nice, other cities are better and they have brighter futures.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
That kind of sustained success can definitely be a factor but it's not that important. To a player that is testing the waters, you're either a winner or you're not and how long one has been isn't much of a factor.

Quote:
Only non-Original Six teams say it's overrated, because they don't understand. You're right about other teams with regarded owners/GM's and the salary and term they can offer, but you said ANY team can offer him this stuff. No, they can't. And just because Lidstrom is retired now doesn't magically put our 'winning ways' in doubt. The team will still thrive without him.

20 years. But who's counting...
Who cares who thinks it's overrated? Players obviously show it's overrated when they don't show any signs of going with those teams over all the others over the years. Any team can offer him a contract that he wants. Any team can offer a city environment similar or better than Detroit. Many teams out there have a winning atmosphere like Detroit's. Teams that make the playoffs relatively consistently all have about the same shot at winning as Detroit does. Only one team hasn't made the playoffs since the lockout and that's Toronto...an original six team that doesn't sign very many marquee free agents.

And actually, I can say that their winning ways are in doubt. When any team loses their #1 defenseman, there has to be a question of whether they can continue winning. Pretending like there will be no ill effects of losing a hall of famer like Lidstrom is just being naive.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
Wow. Bold statement, dude! Do you live in Detroit? Have you ever lived there? Besides, none of the players actually live IN Detroit anyway. They live in upscale suburbs like Grosse Pointe and Novi. And yes, the Wings can offer Suter something a lot of other teams can't, like, the chance to play for an Original Six team, one of the most highly regarded owners and GM in sports, the salary and term he wants, etc. Want me to continue?
Original 6 factor is overrated. As a Leafs fan, trust me, I know. I'll give you the ownership/GM argument, and there are at least 10 other teams that could afford and use his services.

Granted I may not live in Detroit, I've been there a few times and watched 8-mile.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
And just because Lidstrom is retired now doesn't magically put our 'winning ways' in doubt. The team will still thrive without him.
Can. Not will.

It was a very telling stat that the handful of games without Lidstrom in the lineup against the Sharks were all Sharks wins (IIRC; top of my head, no breakfast yet).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Can. Not will.

It was a very telling stat that the handful of games without Lidstrom in the lineup against the Sharks were all Sharks wins (IIRC; top of my head, no breakfast yet).
Funny when Wings' fans start assuming there will be continued success despite losing an absolute stud in Lidstrom. The Wings success may continue but no guarantee.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Funny when Wings' fans start assuming there will be continued success despite losing an absolute stud in Lidstrom. The Wings success may continue but no guarantee.
The person most essential to the Red Wings's success all these years, the one constant, is Ken Holland. He's a great GM and is good at not making assumptions. His team is weak on defense, and I'd be willing to bet that some way or the other, Holland will find a way to compensate.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Lidstrom + Stuart === 2 of top 4 D gone.

That's a significant loss. Regardless of the team.

And I know Holland will not be idle in looking for "replacements".

Old
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
The person most essential to the Red Wings's success all these years, the one constant, is Ken Holland. He's a great GM and is good at not making assumptions. His team is weak on defense, and I'd be willing to bet that some way or the other, Holland will find a way to compensate.
Sure Kenny is one of the best GM but last I checked, he didn't ice them up. He has a tall order to replace those 2 dmen.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Yup. If you have been a hockey fan as long as I have you've watched Detroit re-tool on the fly multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suter go to a team with a young core...but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Holland use his cap space to land both Suter and Parise this summer.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Yup. If you have been a hockey fan as long as I have you've watched Detroit re-tool on the fly multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suter go to a team with a young core...but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Holland use his cap space to land both Suter and Parise this summer.
re-tool multiple times yes, but in those re-tools there has always been 1 constant and he just retired.

when a team is built to be strong defensively from defense out, it helps when you have one of the best defensemen to ever play the game skating around on your defense. and not only one of the best to ever play the game, but also one of the best teachers of the game.

having lidstrom on defense gives other players on the ice the freedom to try different things offensively and even in the defensive zone. because they know that if they make a mistake, more then likely lidstrom is there to bail them out.

detroit no longer has that safety net on defense, unless they expect to sign a future hall of fame defensemen and have him play even remotely close to lidstroms calibre.

this same thing with lidstrom goes also with roy in colorado. once roy retired even though colorado still had a good team, they no longer had that rock to bail them out of tough situations night in and night out.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
sjshrky27

So, Im a little confused here- I thought after the trade deadline in Feb, players could not be moved/traded until right before the draft at the end of this month or something???

I know players can resign with there respective teams if they choose. And I understand all the Sharks did was obtain Stuarts rights, but they still made a trade didnt they???

Can someone explain this for me?

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
So, Im a little confused here- I thought after the trade deadline in Feb, players could not be moved/traded until right before the draft at the end of this month or something???

I know players can resign with there respective teams if they choose. And I understand all the Sharks did was obtain Stuarts rights, but they still made a trade didnt they???

Can someone explain this for me?
Players can still get traded after the deadline, it's just that those said players can't play for their new team in the playoffs. So for teams that are no longer in the playoffs, it's okay. I'm assuming it isn't common for many trades before the end of the SC because most GMs want to know who is and isn't available from every team before doing anything.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Mod note: enough with the discussion of Detroit's future.

This is the Sharks board.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Wingnatic

It was no secret around here that Brad wanted to return home to San Jose where his family has lived all the time he played here in Detroit . It must have been hard for him to be away from his family most of the time . Having said that our management here totally understood his desire to go home and accomodated him to make it easy for him . He played very well for us , he's a great competitor on the ice and a great guy off the ice , he'll do well for the Sharks . Good luck Sharks next season !

Wingnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
It was no secret around here that Brad wanted to return home to San Jose where his family has lived all the time he played here in Detroit . It must have been hard for him to be away from his family most of the time . Having said that our management here totally understood his desire to go home and accomodated him to make it easy for him . He played very well for us , he's a great competitor on the ice and a great guy off the ice , he'll do well for the Sharks . Good luck Sharks next season !
Right on. I think the general sentiment here is that we're happy to have him back.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Hold the Pickles

A famous Winston Wolf quote comes to mind...

It looks good and may even take a HTD, but Stuart is not wearing teal just yet.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
What is the hold up? If he wants to be here and Wilson got him to get a deal done, why isn't it done? Vokoun had a deal with the penguins like 5 minutes after they acquired him.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
What is the hold up? If he wants to be here and Wilson got him to get a deal done, why isn't it done? Vokoun had a deal with the penguins like 5 minutes after they acquired him.
Probably because Stuart's motivations are different than Vokoun's. Stuart wants stability for his family, which likely means negotiating on what the means to him in $ amount.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

I would think it's more about the term than anything.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I would think it's more about the term than anything.
Yeah, I don't think the money is that important. I doubt Doug Wilson is going to low-ball him, and anything from 2.5 to 3.5 is pretty reasonable for both parties. I think he's mainly interested in the # of years and the clauses.