HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks acquire rights to Brad Stuart for conditional 2014 7th rounde pick and TOM

Old
06-15-2012, 11:56 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

vCash: 500
question - given that we sign Stuart. What effect will it have on overall GA? I'm thinking the PK will be better with him and a new strategy, and he's an upgrade 5 on 5 to Murray in the top 5 - overall GA could go down 15-20.. whadda think?

i'm really board - just thinking of stuff to talk about.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
question - given that we sign Stuart. What effect will it have on overall GA? I'm thinking the PK will be better with him and a new strategy, and he's an upgrade 5 on 5 to Murray in the top 5 - overall GA could go down 15-20.. whadda think?

i'm really board - just thinking of stuff to talk about.
It's too early to tell because it depends on where he is slotted in the lineup, the minutes given, and the partners given to him. If he's asked to switch back to the left side at even strength, he won't be much better than Murray unless he's relegated to the third pairing...possibly worse if asked to switch and on the 2nd with Boyle. The PK should be better from his position but irrelevant if the system isn't drastically altered and made much more aggressive especially against zone entries.

The even strength defense was not an issue for this team. In that regard, it's lateral most likely.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:59 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
and he's an upgrade 5 on 5 to Murray
It won't be hard to be better than 11-12 Murray. Stuart plays a tighter defensive game than Murray does. He goes in for the safe check and doesn't give up the blue-line nearly as easily.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It won't be hard to be better than 11-12 Murray. Stuart plays a tighter defensive game than Murray does. He goes in for the safe check and doesn't give up the blue-line nearly as easily.
This is something all Sharks dmen need to do better. I know that's partly the forwards fault for not backchecking well but the D philosophy, like the PK, for years has been too passive as far as the blue line is concerned.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:28 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
This is something all Sharks dmen need to do better. I know that's partly the forwards fault for not backchecking well but the D philosophy, like the PK, for years has been too passive as far as the blue line is concerned.
THIS sooooooo much.

It's been killing me for a few years now.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
This is a good point. I'm not sure if it's a backchecking problem, though. Could just be the ultra-conservative defensive philosophy many of our d-men exhibit. It really screws us over against high skill teams like Vancouver, and especially Anaheim's big line.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:49 PM
CHALUPA

Quote:
Wouldn't this be more of a coaching issue? I feel like this would have been changed long ago if it was something the coaches actually wanted to change.

CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote