HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stuart's rights traded to SJ for conditional pick in 2014 draft

Old
06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Reality Check

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Is anyone sure the Wings got *anything* for Stuart?
What are the conditions? Is Murray really going to be around here? I don't think so.
As you stated in the post above, it's not like Detroit had many options to begin with and their hands were tied.

While it might turn out to be nothing, right now it is something.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

this was 99% expected, not a shock

classy move on both teams behalf's

now holland, its time to start dealing for players and players rights starting this week

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird View Post
I guess the Sharks have big plans for the 7th round pick in 2013

Another asset-for-cheese-sandwich trade by Kenny Holland, the negotiator.

I'm surprised he couldn't get anything better than that by drumming up interest with Anaheim or the Kings as well.
I'm actually surprised Holland was able to get anything for a guy that EVERYONE knew was going to walk and wanted to go to a Cali team.

Konnan511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

SJ threw Murray in to get under the player limit I think. Doubt we keep him.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Soft Rock Renegade

Is it definitely a 7th rounder? Haven't seen that posted anywhere except here...

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Iron Chef

Sharks fan here. I am actually sad to see Andrew Murray go. I thought he was a strong addition to our 4th line and was shocked not only that we waived him, but that no other team picked him up. He got pushed out because of all of the depth acquisitions we made. He plays tough and has speed/energy. He plays a great grinder role

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I assume the condition is that Stuart signs with SJ.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

So we wait and see if the Sharks make an offer that doesn't make him choke on it.

Best of luck to Stu. He was a rock on this team and for that, I thank him as a fan.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post
I don't really see how everyone assumes Hudler is already gone. There aren't many FAs available, and especially so if we don't land Parise. I'd say it's more likely he returns than is left to walk, probably 60/40
Can you imagine the rioting if we let Hudler go and we don't sign Suter or Parise? That Wings team would be pretty terrible. People are just venting about Hudler and hoping he doesn't get paid too much, but like him or not, he scores 25 goals and it's not a fluke. He may not create the scoring chances out of nothing like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but if he reliably pots 25 goals I'd keep him and get somebody to play with him who can generate chances.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I'm probably someone who you could put in the "hudler camp," and I agree he'll be missed.
But how poorly do you think Nyquist would play in Hudler's role? I think he'd score less goals, but I could see a 13G 40-45 PT rookie season.
I think Tatar is the player most like Hudler. Not as smart with the puck, but I think he'd go to the net and get a lot of the kind of goals like Hudler did. I could see Tatar scoring 18G and getting close to 40 points

It's too bad we didn't work Smith and one of the forwards into the lineup last year.

It's going to be harder to do so this year, IMO, as Holland starts looking for UFAs to sign.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Can you imagine the rioting if we let Hudler go and we don't sign Suter or Parise? That Wings team would be pretty terrible. People are just venting about Hudler and hoping he doesn't get paid too much, but like him or not, he scores 25 goals and it's not a fluke. He may not create the scoring chances out of nothing like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but if he reliably pots 25 goals I'd keep him and get somebody to play with him who can generate chances.
You see any Hudler type players in the finals this year?

I see a lot of big guys that can skate, a lot of little guys that can really skate, and a few big guys that can't skate.

I don't see any little guys that can't skate. There's a reason for that.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Le Golie

Murray is a UFA on July 1 as well, I hope the Wings asked for him because they want to offer him a chance and not just to get the Sharks under the limit but who knows.

He's the kind of guy Babcock would love. He is absolutely a limited role player, not versatile, but he is really good at his role. He's an excellent fourth line player who gives it all every shift and has really good size and speed, both of which he puts to good use.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
You see any Hudler type players in the finals this year?

I see a lot of big guys that can skate, a lot of little guys that can really skate, and a few big guys that can't skate.

I don't see any little guys that can't skate. There's a reason for that.
Yeah, that's really oversimplifying to the point where there isn't much truth there.
Hudler wasn't the problem. Actually, Hudler was one of our better players and certainly among the most productive.
The problem was our first line (wingers especially, who are 6'3) and our third line, which got eaten alive.
So while I agree I would like to upgrade on Hudler with a bigger, faster player who can play defense and win corners in the battles, I think we ought to be really careful tossing him away.

Hudler actually has the passing skills to play a puck possession game. IMO, if you move him, you need to replace him somehow (maybe Nyquist, maybe Tatar, maybe UFA). But there are no guarantees with rookies.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yeah, that's really oversimplifying to the point where there isn't much truth there.
Hudler wasn't the problem. Actually, Hudler was one of our better players and certainly among the most productive.
The problem was our first line (wingers especially, who are 6'3) and our third line, which got eaten alive.
So while I agree I would like to upgrade on Hudler with a bigger, faster player who can play defense and win corners in the battles, I think we ought to be really careful tossing him away.

Hudler actually has the passing skills to play a puck possession game. IMO, if you move him, you need to replace him somehow (maybe Nyquist, maybe Tatar, maybe UFA). But there are no guarantees with rookies.
I fully expected Holland to offer Hudler a deal and I wouldn't hate him being back at a reasonable price. I'm just worried that price is 4m+, then it isn't worth it.

Hudler is a good piece, but I don't think he really solves a lot of problems. If the Wings are able to upgrade speed and size while keeping Hulder, Hudler becomes way more valuable. But if the Wings re-sign Hudler and can't fix the speed and size, he's not really much of help.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Good deal for everyone involved. I hope he signs with San Jose, particularly if that makes the conditional pick earlier in the draft. Good luck to him, he was the missing piece that helped put us over the top in 2008.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If he has decided on the team he wants to play for, nobody else is going to give them a nickel or a stick of gum for him.
Are you sure about that? Hamhuis had his rights shopped TWICE before he went to the only team he wanted to play for: Vancouver (He's from BC and it looked really obvious he was going there from day 1).

I don't get it either, but fact is stranger than our fiction.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Thats My Hat

Good trade by Holland, but it's sad to see that it's final. I had a little bit of hope that Stuart would change his mind and stay with the Wings.

Thats My Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

No plans to sign Murray, he was traded completely out of necessity to keep SJS under 50 players.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:21 AM
LeighDx13

I'm glad we got something for him. Can't thank Stuart enough either for making the team better the past 4-5 seasons and I hope he does well in San Jose.

Though I have to think, why didn't Anaheim trade Schultz's right's for Stuart's rights? I don't know what Anaheim's defense is like but that would have made more sense?

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Disappointing, but inevitable. Best of luck, Stewie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
No plans to sign Murray, he was traded completely out of necessity to keep SJS under 50 players.
Oh? And you know this how?

Murray probably doesn't have any kind of real future with the big club, no (bit surprised to see that he's already 30), but I wouldn't completely write off them signing him anyway. You know Kenny always love bringing in older depth guys for GR. We're probably looking at a replacement for Chris Minard or Jamie Johnson or something of that ilk.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I am genuinely concerned about the defense corps next season.... seems like an awful lot is riding on signing Suter. I don't like the proverbial "eggs in one basket."

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:02 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post
I don't really see how everyone assumes Hudler is already gone. There aren't many FAs available, and especially so if we don't land Parise. I'd say it's more likely he returns than is left to walk, probably 60/40
What makes you think Hudler wants to come back? So he can continue bouncing around the bottom 9, feeling the wrath of Mike Babcock on a weekly basis? Some team will guarantee him top 6 minutes under a coach who won't make ice time contingent on two-way dedication.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
I am genuinely concerned about the defense corps next season.... seems like an awful lot is riding on signing Suter. I don't like the proverbial "eggs in one basket."

Well, they can sell Suter on the idea that he can come in and potentially become the man (along with Kronner). He won't be overshadowed by Nick's presense although I'm sure he wouldn't have mind having him hang around. He can come here and get plenty of money and play a lot of minutes. A lot of teams want him but the Wings obviously need him if they want to a shot at contending next year.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:13 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
I don't see how this is an "eggs in one basket" situation. Suter is surely the number 1 target and easily the best, but Holland has options. They just might have to be out of his comfort zone.

We're lucky Suter might even be available. Imagine this were last year, and our best prospects were Ehrhoff and Wiz. Yikes.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:22 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Well, they can sell Suter on the idea that he can come in and potentially become the man (along with Kronner). He won't be overshadowed by Nick's presense although I'm sure he wouldn't have mind having him hang around. He can come here and get plenty of money and play a lot of minutes. A lot of teams want him but the Wings obviously need him if they want to a shot at contending next year.
If Suter hits free agency, I don't think he'll need to be "sold" on coming to Detroit - I think Holland will simply buy him. In other words, I don't think Holland is going to let any other team outbid him for Suter's services. Whether its a $5M bonus or a $250,000 per annum difference, that's real money to consider.

Perhaps the biggest thing going for us is that Holland can overpay Suter without any subsequent criticism for doing so. No one is going to say, "for that price, they should've let Suter walk." What they'll say is "The Wings lost lidstrom and stuart - they had no choice but to overpay for Suter."