HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are we expecting from Jason Demers?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
What are we expecting from Jason Demers?

I know we were all ridiculously high on him after last season's stretch and playoff run. Then he came intp this season out of shape, a bit cocky, and was a total disaster at both ends of the ice.

What doesn't make any sense is that Demers played some pretty damn hard minutes in 10-11 and he dominated them. Then he was given soft minutes this season and was eaten alive.

What gives? What kind of potential do we see in him? Is he worth trading? What do we do?

Personally, I want to keep him and give him another year with Braun and see what we have, because I think there's too much potential to trade low and he's still very cheap, but I can see the argument for trading him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I hope he can turn it around. Vlasic definitely made him look better in 10-11 so the combination of playing with White and playing poorly made his drop especially bad.

I think he'll be good but not as good as 10-11. Maybe.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

vCash: 500
10-11 Demers was a beast.

I want him back.

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

I'm expecting him to not turn into another Ehrhoff.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I'd like to see him play a year without having to play with a crappy d partner or having to switch defensive sides.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Fear the Fin did a nice piece on Demers and showed that he played his best when paired with Braun. I'd like to see a full season of those two together.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:24 PM
WantonAbandon

6th D on left side

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I know we were all ridiculously high on him after last season's stretch and playoff run. Then he came intp this season out of shape, a bit cocky, and was a total disaster at both ends of the ice.

What doesn't make any sense is that Demers played some pretty damn hard minutes in 10-11 and he dominated them. Then he was given soft minutes this season and was eaten alive.

What gives? What kind of potential do we see in him? Is he worth trading? What do we do?

Personally, I want to keep him and give him another year with Braun and see what we have, because I think there's too much potential to trade low and he's still very cheap, but I can see the argument for trading him.
I think you are missing a number of points.

1) Demers was injured at the end of that season, remember? He had a fair amount of healing to do and so came into camp without the benefit of a full summer's rest, healing, and training.

2) The org kept trying to put him on the left side, which is not his natural position. Especially for a d-man, that is a major change that requires a LOT of adjustment. I believe others have said it can take a d-man at least a season to make the transition to opposite side, if they can make it at all.

3) He was paired with Braun (another rookie, while being forced to the left side), Burns (but only at the start when Burns himself was still adjusting, and again on the left side), White (playing his natural right-side, but with a partner who was sucking big time), and Vandermeer (the only combo that seemed to work much).

Personally, I think many Sharks fans were once again expecting way too much from a guy in his sophomore season. Especially one who was being forced to play the wrong side most of the year and who did have a stable partner all year to develop chemistry with. I think trading Demers (or Braun) would be a major mistake. Just as I think expecting too much from him is a major mistake. He's young, the org is trying to force him to play the opposite side, and he will make mistakes. And as is common with the Sharks, if you are young and make mistakes you are drastically beaten down for it (see Stuart, Ehrhoff, Carle, and on and on and on). I say give him at least another couple of years before you expect to have an honest assessment of him.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:33 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think you are missing a number of points.

1) Demers was injured at the end of that season, remember? He had a fair amount of healing to do and so came into camp without the benefit of a full summer's rest, healing, and training.
I admit to not having any concrete knowledge, so maybe you could help me out, but Demers' injury was kind of fishy. We had Thornton and Clowe playing with separated shoulders, Heatley playing with a broken hand and knee issue, and Demers is sat for a high-ankle sprain? And I spoke to Brodie before game 3 of the WCF and he seemed like Demers was ready to go, but then Demers never played.

Quote:
2) The org kept trying to put him on the left side, which is not his natural position. Especially for a d-man, that is a major change that requires a LOT of adjustment. I believe others have said it can take a d-man at least a season to make the transition to opposite side, if they can make it at all.
Trust me, I understand the significance of that move. By eye, it looked to me that Braun was playing on the left more than Jason. I guess I'm wrong.

Quote:
3) He was paired with Braun (another rookie, while being forced to the left side), Burns (but only at the start when Burns himself was still adjusting, and again on the left side), White (playing his natural right-side, but with a partner who was sucking big time), and Vandermeer (the only combo that seemed to work much).
So unless he's playing with Vlasic he's doomed to fail? That severely limits our options.

Quote:
Personally, I think many Sharks fans were once again expecting way too much from a guy in his sophomore season. Especially one who was being forced to play the wrong side most of the year and who did have a stable partner all year to develop chemistry with. I think trading Demers (or Braun) would be a major mistake. Just as I think expecting too much from him is a major mistake. He's young, the org is trying to force him to play the opposite side, and he will make mistakes. And as is common with the Sharks, if you are young and make mistakes you are drastically beaten down for it (see Stuart, Ehrhoff, Carle, and on and on and on). I say give him at least another couple of years before you expect to have an honest assessment of him.
I think expectations were definitely way too high. Tons of Sharks fans were valuing him over Vlasic, which I thought was a giant mistake. And this org's treatment of young players is well chronicled.

What do you think Demers ceiling is?

Old
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'd like to see him play a year without having to play with a crappy d partner or having to switch defensive sides.
so he's going to play with White on the wrong side?

cause you know thats what DW is probably gonna do

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
They moved Demers back to the right and Braun on the left later in the season (and in the playoffs), and he still didn't look great (while Braun didn't look out of place). He just had a horrible off-season and a poor start that probably killed his confidence. I expect him to be better next season considering it's a contract year.

Or maybe he just isn't that good. He just looked great compared to Huskins and Wallin.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Clearly he was getting carried by Kent Huskins.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
I admit to not having any concrete knowledge, so maybe you could help me out, but Demers' injury was kind of fishy. We had Thornton and Clowe playing with separated shoulders, Heatley playing with a broken hand and knee issue, and Demers is sat for a high-ankle sprain? And I spoke to Brodie before game 3 of the WCF and he seemed like Demers was ready to go, but then Demers never played.
You speak to Brodie before games?!?

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
You speak to Brodie before games?!?
Haha no, I was at the street fair before the game, and he was there talking to fans.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Demers not falling down is almost too much to ask.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Haha no, I was at the street fair before the game, and he was there talking to fans.

Ahh ok. LOL, I was "omigahing" over here at your connections

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
Ahh ok. LOL, I was "omigahing" over here at your connections
I wish I were friends with Brodie. That'd be awesome.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
I wish I were friends with Brodie. That'd be awesome.
Sure if you like your facebook wall spammed with instragram photos of his cravings of tater tots and ketchup.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Sure if you like your facebook wall spammed with instragram photos of his cravings of tater tots and ketchup.
I could take the tater tots, but the ketchup is a deal-breaker.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
The guy is such a bachelor. Use a plate? Hell no! Why dirty another dish Brodie says? Squirts ketchup right on the baking pan

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I'd like to just see him get more ice time.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:53 PM
param

I'm expecting Demers (or Braun) to be a bargaining chip in acquiring a top-6 forward. Teams are always looking for a right handed PMD to fill out their second or third pairings. Currently San Jose has four (Boyle, Burns, Braun, and Demers). As long as Demers (or Braun) come #3 (behind Boyle and Burns) in the depth chart, he'll never fully be utilized. It's best to move Demers (or Braun) so the team can improve in other areas, and so he can have a meatier role somewhere else.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:33 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Roll these pairings:

Vlasic-Boyle
Braun-Burns
Stuart-Demers

Both Braun and Demers benefit, Braun develops his offensive game, which I see potential in, from Burns. Stuart mentors Demers in solid defensive play. Good now and future.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Teasdale

vCash: 75
Trading Demers would be a mistake. He has the potential to be an above average PMD. I would hate to see him become a stud on another team

Teasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:45 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Roll these pairings:

Vlasic-Boyle
Braun-Burns
Stuart-Demers

Both Braun and Demers benefit, Braun develops his offensive game, which I see potential in, from Burns. Stuart mentors Demers in solid defensive play. Good now and future.
I don't hate this.