HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Free agency is a two way street. Think of it from Schultz's point of view. He's specifically chosen a career avenue that lets him pick his own team - why would he choose an organization that's waterlogged on defense from top to bottom?

He's becoming a free agent so he can join a team of his choosing with whom he can become instantly (or have the greatest chance to be) entrenched into their lineup, IE not Pittsburgh.
Yea would love him... but don't see it happening (unless we move a few players on the blueline). Would expect to see him go to Edmonton, Van, Calgary, Mtl, Bolts, Philly (cringe), etc. Teams who will offer him a decent chance at playing in the top 6, and who could be competitive. Edmonton might be a few years off... but man o man do they have talent. Van and Philly who expect to compete now might offer a better chance at winning (sooner), but if he doesn't produce then he's not going to be happy.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Sarich is in the best shape of his life... I don't want to hear anymore neghead downer ****.

Go get 'im, Ray! Will make our D tougher to play against. Move someone else up to take Martin's minutes if you have to (Despres comes to mind).
I'm sorry, I've been following the Flames quite a bit the last few years and Sarich completely SUCKS. He'd be the new Paul Martin on these boards.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Radulov is a top winger. Easily among the top 20 RWs in the game. And would easily be competing with Neal (and potentially Staal) as the top winger. But in no way is he a top 20 forward in the NHL.

Alright... Top 35 then

Still think he'd be a great player with the Penguins

Old
06-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Crosberry87

Jordan Staal for Sutter, Ruutu, 8th overall (Teravainen?) Or does this trade suck like the rest of the Staal to Carolina ones
Martin and TFK for ? (Stewart, Malone ?) (Id like to move orpik too but i dont see Shero moving more than one of martin, michalek, orpik)
Sign Moen

Dupuis (or Malone/Stewart) - Crosby - Ruutu
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Tangradi
Asham - Vitale - Moen
Adams, Jeffery

Letang - Orpik
Michalek - Niskanen
Despres - Engo
Bort or Strait
Morrow?

MAF, Vokoun

Happy Thursday!

Moving back to Pittsburgh today from 5 years in Philly!!! So excited im up at 530!!

Old
06-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Is Ryan Malone seriously being mentioned? What is the obsession with bringing ex-Pens back?

Old
06-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Is Ryan Malone seriously being mentioned? What is the obsession with bringing ex-Pens back?
he makes sense in a Martin-Malone swap. Bad contract for bad contract but each team gets a position they need more. A healthy Malone would be a great fit here imo. The healthy part seems to be his problem the last few years. He's still a 25 goal 50 point player

Old
06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
redsono93

I would like a defensive shake up trade Martin and maybe Orpik and bring in Allen and Garrison
Michalek Letang
Allen Garrison
Depres Nisky

On forwards pick up Versteeg
Kunitz Crosby Versteeg
Tangradi Malkin Neal
Cooke Staal Dupis
I feel our defense is too soft and needs bigger guys and more offensive threats like Garrison. Versteeg did great with Weiss imagine what he could do with Crosby.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosberry87 View Post
Jordan Staal for Sutter, Ruutu, 8th overall (Teravainen?) Or does this trade suck like the rest of the Staal to Carolina ones
For me, it's just no enough. Now if they take Martin and give us Faulk, then we can talk.

Edit: Oh, and I don't want Ruutu, bad contract. Replace that with someone/something else.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:33 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
I would like a defensive shake up trade Martin and maybe Orpik and bring in Allen and Garrison
Michalek Letang
Allen Garrison
Depres Nisky

On forwards pick up Versteeg
Kunitz Crosby Versteeg
Tangradi Malkin Neal
Cooke Staal Dupis
I feel our defense is too soft and needs bigger guys and more offensive threats like Garrison. Versteeg did great with Weiss imagine what he could do with Crosby.
Versteegs not a FA. Maybe an RFA but still we can pick him up.

Also to Ruutu I agree, hes not doable for us, that contract only makes sense for a team like Carolina who might need to overpay to keep a guy.
Similar to Versteeg in Florida actually, even if hes RFA they'll give him the money to stay, I dont see anyone getting him with an offersheet that wouldnt just be matched.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
For me, it's just no enough. Now if they take Martin and give us Faulk, then we can talk.

Edit: Oh, and I don't want Ruutu, bad contract. Replace that with someone/something else.
The more I think about it you are right. I guess the best Staal deal I've heard on here is to buffalo for pomminville and Adam. Jp would be a great fit with sid and Adam can step in the 3c role.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
redsono93

What would it take to pry Hedman from TB? He's got so much upside just a thought. Thanks

Old
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
What would it take to pry Hedman from TB? He's got so much upside just a thought. Thanks
Too much. They lack quality defensemen so they'd never trade him.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:03 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Why? As of now, our 4th line should be Tangradi - Vitale - Adams. You can throw Asham as 13th forward, but I don't think it's necessary. I like Prust, but he isn't big and he will cost more than we want to spend. As I mentioned earlier, we need size. Overpaying for Prust doesn't solve that issue and Asham might have hit his last leg. I'd be cool resigning him, but it's hardly a priority.
So you would depend on Engo to be basically the only one answering the bell if necessary? I am not comfortable with that. I agree with the "not overpaying" statement, but there's no way I would skip signing him if his price is reasonable.

Also, I really don't like the use of word "big" in the context of players size. I have seen people put Dupuis in the "undersized" category, but the guy is 6"1, over 200 and that is not undersized. Also, size doesn't always mean toughness, as there are numerous examples throughout the league. One of our problems last season, and I mentioned it on more than one occasion, is that our grinders stopped playing like a grinders.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Dustin Penner's cap hit just jumped at least 500k. I want that mustache on this team.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Dustin Penner's cap hit just jumped at least 500k. I want that mustache on this team.
Pass. Penner is not reliable. You want to pay this guy north of $4.2M??

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...5HdVVmMzhivLYF

I sure as hell don't. Don't let the Cup fever affect your better judgement. I was pretty high on him when he first started getting attention in EDM, but it was all downhill after that. Penner is a bum, the living embodiment of underachievement. He could be so much better than he is, it's ridiculous. Don't want him here anymore than I want Radulov. Maybe less, actually. I would rather go back and get Malone. Seriously.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Yeah, Penner was pretty much a bum for LA except for their recent Cup run. Even then I wouldn't he was that spectacular. A big HELL NO for Penner.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Can't work; Sid would head-shot him in practice.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
I just don't see what some people see in Hedman and don't see him being worth that 2nd overall pick. I'd take Duchene, OEL, over him any day, probably even Kane, Kulikov and heck, Despres. To me, he just doesn't have IT, whatever that is. To me he's pretty much just a tall dude who skates well, doesn't really play tough and has average offensive instincts. He'll be a solid NHL player probably, being somewhere between a nr. 2 and a nr. 4 dman, but he's supposed to be a franchise player.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
So you would depend on Engo to be basically the only one answering the bell if necessary? I am not comfortable with that. I agree with the "not overpaying" statement, but there's no way I would skip signing him if his price is reasonable.

Also, I really don't like the use of word "big" in the context of players size. I have seen people put Dupuis in the "undersized" category, but the guy is 6"1, over 200 and that is not undersized. Also, size doesn't always mean toughness, as there are numerous examples throughout the league. One of our problems last season, and I mentioned it on more than one occasion, is that our grinders stopped playing like a grinders.
Yeah I've made that mistake with Dupuis. He is bigger than I realized. I would be fine with Asham re-signing on the cheap. I don't want to overpay for Prust and that's what it will cost.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Radulov would be amazing on the Penguins. I don't see why you guys wouldn't want him on a line with Malkin...
Because it's not a skills competition & he when Nashville was up against the wall he bailed out twice now. We don't have the cap space to waste on guys who are on their 3rd strike.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Flat Stanley

I agree about the Prust/Asham argument.

They are both similar players, Prust brings a little more being younger and being a PKer. But that's not the difference of Asham's $700,000-$800,000 salary and Prusts $1.6M+ salary.

Pens should just re-sign Asham, he's a good, effective 4th liner, he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh, he's not expensive, good locker room guy, it just makes sense.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

They are both similar players, Prust brings a little more being younger and being a PKer. But that's not the difference of Asham's $700,000-$800,000 salary and Prusts $1.6M+ salary.

Pens should just re-sign Asham, he's a good, effective 4th liner, he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh, he's not expensive, good locker room guy, it just makes sense.
He was those things. He is now a guy who can fight & has a big slap shot. Am I the only one who was paying attention in the playoffs?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

If it comes out to that much then fine, if it's less than that i'd go after Prust. Anyways I have no problem with Aaron and like him

Old
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Yesh, Schultz signing here is a bad career move if he want's to actually play lots of minutes. He would be our 6th Dman.
Not true. Schultz may start as 6th dman but if he plays well its not like there are 4 top pairing dmen standing in his way. Probably the only Dman on our roster with higher upside than him at this point is Letang.

Sure he can go to a bad team and be a top pairing dman but why? He isnt a kid whos lacking confidence in his ability.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Prust would definitely be better than Adams or Asham but he's going to get a raise and for a 4th liner he already bordering on overpaid. I wouldn't freak out or anything if we signed him because IMO he would make the team better, but I think Vokoun has already spoken for the "extra money we give to a player to add some insurance" fund. I don't want to be paying a 4th liner $1.8M or something like that. That's nuts.

Closed Thread