HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I don't necessarily think he'd be a worse 4th liner than Asham. I think Asham is a pretty limited player, honestly. He has a big shot and he fights, he's not really a presence on the forecheck and he doesn't kill penalties. That's why I wanted to see a more physical and versatile guy brought in. A guy like Tootoo, Prust, Moen or even Tanner Glass is going to pound guys on the forecheck, be able to PK, etc. And any of them aside from Glass can slot into the third line if need be, I don't see that with Asham.

I'd like to have one of those guys or someone like them to play on the 4th line with Vitale and Tangradi if he does indeed fill that other spot. You've got the two aggressive guys on the forecheck and then you've a big body in Tangradi to battle for the loose pucks they cause by hammering defensemen.

I think Adams is good 4th liner because he can do a little bit of everything in that role. Play wing or center, kill penalties, hit, block shots. At his price, I can't complain much about him, but he does appear to be slowing down.

Maybe Kennedy gets moved, and the team adds another 3rd liner in more of that mold. If they dropped TK and slotted in someone like Cal Clutterbuck, they could move someone else down and move Tangradi into a third line role. Or at least audition him there.

People say the Pens have a glut of bottom sixers, and they do. But there's no telling whether some of those guys are moved. The bottom six as it's constructed now isn't nearly as effective as it is when the team won the cup or went to the finals. I'm a firm believer in the notion that the bottom six is an important part of the team and not just an afterthought. I want the Pens to be hard to play against again, and I want them to be initiating things rather than reacting to them. The latter throws everything out of whack and you have Crosby and Malkin trying to go after people.

Really though, there are so many variables: the cap increase, the Staal situation, whether Martin gets moved etc. that are going to determine how the team is structured next season.
When we won the cup Pascal Dupuis and Miroslav Satan were on the 4th line centered by Craig Adams so I don't think that really supports your argument here.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 06-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Aarow

The bottom six needs a change. Move some players to clear some cap room. Give Tangradi a real chance, drop Dupuis down to the 3rd and bring in a new face for the 4th line. I would like to see a guy like TooToo in a Pens uniform.
The bottom six need to be tough to play against.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
When we won the cup Pascal Dupuis and Miroslav Satan were on the 4th line centered by Craig Adams so I don't think that really supports your argument here.
Yeah, but you also have to remember how great the third line was back then. Cooke was still hammering everything in sight and Kennedy was flying all over the place and causing problems, and Staal was, well Staal. Aside from that Talbot (before he was bumped up) was playing the way that edeared him to Pens fans and Adams was playing the best hockey of his career. I know that's not saying much, but he was really playing some inspired hockey. Even Godard looked servicable most of the time.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:15 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Very unrealistic. Martin might fetch a 1st... but it won't be a low first. Staal for Kane might work.
Would you be mad if shero did staal for kane straight up? Or would you want more assets that might not pan out but gives you depth?

Old
06-16-2012, 11:25 PM
mpp9

Watched NHL network's take on the pens offseason. Kelly Chase is difficult to watch.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Would you be mad if shero did staal for kane straight up? Or would you want more assets that might not pan out but gives you depth?
No, I'd do Staal for Kane. I don't think Chicago would though.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
No, I'd do Staal for Kane. I don't think Chicago would though.
Well, of course not. I don't know what perceived afflictions Kane has (actually, I do - he's young and likes to have fun), but he's still talented as a mf'er.

Staal isn't even in his realm. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a huge ******, but he's a stud hockey player.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:34 PM
mpp9

I was never a big fan of P. Kane. Too much of a perimeter player.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:35 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I was never a big fan of P. Kane. Too much of a perimeter player.
Isn't that only a negative if you can't score from the perimeter?

Old
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
mr sidney crosby

Evander kane i meant. I don't think we could ever get p. kane from chicago.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:39 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Evander kane i meant. I don't think we could ever get p. kane from chicago.
We probably should have picked up on that. No worries.

Still, I could see Patrick Kane being available. We'd have no shot at getting him, but it wouldn't completely surprise me to see him moved.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:42 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
We probably should have picked up on that. No worries.

Still, I could see Patrick Kane being available. We'd have no shot at getting him, but it wouldn't completely surprise me to see him moved.
Say we got patrick kane what could you see his numbers being? same for evander kane?
Patrick Kane-25 goals, 75 assists.
Evander Kane- 35 goals-40 assists.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:47 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Isn't that only a negative if you can't score from the perimeter?
I'm looking to improve for postseason play. Guys that drive the net. Perimeter play is largely shutdown.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:49 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I'm looking to improve for postseason play. Guys that drive the net. Perimeter play is largely shutdown.
Games 22 Goals 10 Assists 18 Points 28

Don't give me that garbage. World-class players don't get shutdown.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Watched NHL network's take on the pens offseason. Kelly Chase is difficult to watch.
What did he say? lol.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:54 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Games 22 Goals 10 Assists 18 Points 28

Don't give me that garbage. World-class players don't get shutdown.
Not sure if you noticed but he's coming off a pretty terrible season where clutch and grab was allowed more.

We need size and grit on the wing more than another flashy skillset. It's about filling needs.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
What did he say? lol.
He literally said the same thing over and over again about what Niskanen brings to the team. Guy's a frickin' idiot.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
He literally said the same thing over and over again about what Niskanen brings to the team. Guy's a frickin' idiot.
Oh, lol.

I thought he was trash talking the team.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:00 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Not sure if you noticed but he's coming off a pretty terrible season where clutch and grab was allowed more.

We need size and grit on the wing more than another flashy skillset. It's about filling needs.
I can't stand preconceived notions relating to what "playoff hockey" is. He's Patrick Kane, FFS.

Ah, **** it. How many times can we clone Ryan Malone? He's gets to the net and he's from PITTSBURGH!! WOOO!!!

Do you think "playoff hockey" changed that much in 2 years? Is Patrick Kane now an undesirable player for the postseason?

Old
06-17-2012, 12:05 AM
mr sidney crosby

Hey kovalev wants to come back to the nhl and the penguins are one of his prefered destinations!
He said he has alot of energy to make a comeback hah

Old
06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

We've come to the point in the offseason where Jordan Staal is worth more than Patrick Kane, folks. Predictable, yes, since it's nearing draft time, but still appalling.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
mpp9

Quote:
I can't stand preconceived notions relating to what "playoff hockey" is. He's Patrick Kane, FFS.

Ah, **** it. How many times can we clone Ryan Malone? He's gets to the net and he's from PITTSBURGH!! WOOO!!!

Do you think "playoff hockey" changed that much in 2 years? Is Patrick Kane now an undesirable player for the postseason?
The **** is your problem?

All I'm saying is Id rather us target players with grit and size. That's what LA and Boston had in spades. Evander Kane would be a great pickup as a mix of that and skill.

We're not acquiring P. Kane so not real sure what you're getting so heated about. He's a hell of a talent, never said otherwise.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:14 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
The **** is your problem?

All I'm saying is Id rather us target players with grit and size. That's what LA and Boston had in spades. Evander Kane would be a great pickup as a mix of that and skill.

We're not acquiring P. Kane so not real sure what you're getting so heated about. He's a hell of a talent, never said otherwise.
Not trying to be a dick, but when you intimate that Patrick Kane is a floater who doesn't work in the playoffs, I get weary. You're right - it is complete semantics. And I think we definitely need to add size and grit, but to dismiss PK because he doesn't fit the mold doesn't make sense.

Just get the better player.

It is kind of funny that we're arguing over a player that the poster didn't even mean to suggest

Old
06-17-2012, 12:20 AM
mpp9

We aren't difficult to play against anymore. Moving our best trade piece in Staal for P. Kane doesn't solve our issues IMO.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:23 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

We got Tangradi this year, Bennett next year probably, & probably Kuhn the year after. If even one of them becomes the player they are suppose to be we will be good. Of course if it's Kuhn by that time Kunitz & Dupuis will be on their last leg.

My point is there is hope beyond free agency because Shero has managed to keep assets despite competing. Also guys like Uher, Wilson, & Hanowski.

Closed Thread