HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 06:58 AM
wej20

vCash: 500
Doesn't Schultz's contract have to be two-way?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Radulov says he's going back to the KHL.

Good riddance.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:31 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Actually, I think you're right because of his age. But like I said, his agent will steer him clear of the Pens because we have so much defensive depth that he would have to beat out.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:38 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

[QUOTE=Coach John McGuirk;51035387]Radulov says he's going back to the KHL.

Good riddance.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Why?
Why? Because he was overrated, an idiot, and a malcontent. See also: Jagr Jr. without the legacy.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:57 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

What a weird career he's had. This season, coming back for a short bit only to leave again is baffling to me...and to not even want to try and see what the market for you is?

He seems worse than jagr TBH.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Why? Because he was overrated, an idiot, and a malcontent. See also: Jagr Jr. without the legacy.
I think he's an idiot too, but I'll take as many skill guys in the league as possible. I think we have enough that can't stick handle or pass but that's just me. It's only like, 30% of each team's forward roster. It's no skin off my nose if the guy causes some ripples on another team, I want to see good players.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It doesnt matter, theres not many rosters in the league that Schultz wouldnt make. Easily would fit in our top 6. Any of the teams in on signing him will have room for him to play, this year.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
I think he's an idiot too, but I'll take as many skill guys in the league as possible. I think we have enough that can't stick handle or pass but that's just me. It's only like, 30% of each team's forward roster. It's no skin off my nose if the guy causes some ripples on another team, I want to see good players.
Radulov doesn't care about the NHL so thats why good riddance imo. He dodged out on the 3rd year of his entry level deal with Nashville, then he finally comes back (but only for the end of the season to get rid of the 3rd year). When he does finally come back the team is in an incredibly important playoff run, if they have any hopes of re signing Suter Weber.....and he goes out drinking til 5am on a gameday.

I'm not sure what more a guy could do to show he just doesn't GAF about the NHL, or teammates.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Radulov doesn't care about the NHL so thats why good riddance imo. He dodged out on the 3rd year of his entry level deal with Nashville, then he finally comes back (but only for the end of the season to get rid of the 3rd year). When he does finally come back the team is in an incredibly important playoff run, if they have any hopes of re signing Suter Weber.....and he goes out drinking til 5am on a gameday.

I'm not sure what more a guy could do to show he just doesn't GAF about the NHL, or teammates.
Doesn't affect me.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Doesn't affect me.
Me neither. If we could give Radulov a contract offer that satisfied him, I'd welcome him with open arms.

He is a better hockey player than James Neal, IMO.

The whole "doesn't care about the NHL".... he is a professional who has an appealing alternative. Being in the NHL means taking a pay-cut for him, while being away from friends and family and potentially living in a much less interesting city. Moscow is ridiculous if you're wealthy.

I'd be hesitant to trade much of anything for him though. Risky asset, obviously.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Doesn't affect me.
I'm with you. I don't care what he's like as a person, he would be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Me neither. If we could give Radulov a contract offer that satisfied him, I'd welcome him with open arms.

The whole "doesn't care about the NHL".... he is a professional who has an appealing alternative. Being in the NHL means taking a pay-cut for him, while being away from friends and family and potentially living in a much less interesting city. Moscow is ridiculous if you're wealthy.

I'd be hesitant to trade much of anything for him though. Risky asset, obviously.
I think he's better in the sense that he can create more on his own. I don't think he'd do any better than Neal did next to Malkin.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:

Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Radulov is definitely capable of doing more than Neal on his own. I would take Neal to play wing with either of our centers though. But we saw what happened when Neal didn't have help last year.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM
mpp9

Neal has a great shot and has a decent two way game. If he can become more consistent as a physical presence and improve his skating, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Radulov is a superior offensive player though. Puck skills galore.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Other than last/this season, where Radulov had 7 points in 9 NHL regular season games, and 6 points in 8 playoff games, no one would have suggested that Radulov was not superior to Neal.

Question is if you think Neal's 40 goals/PPG was not Malkin hiked, and whether you believe he will start to produce such numbers with regularity. If you think so, and if you're right, then I would also think Neal better. But Radulov is a great player, never mind the animosity he has put on himself now.

He'd be insane on Sid or Malkin's right wing.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

James Neal>>>>>>>Radulov.

Once again the Russian factor skews the perception on this board. Radulov is probably a 60 point winger in this league. Which good but not great.

I swear you put an "ov" or a "uk" at the end of a guys name & this board immediately starts calling him God on Skates.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Once again the Russian factor skews the perception on this board. Radulov is probably a 60 point winger in this league. Which good but not great.

I swear you put an "ov" or a "uk" at the end of a guys name & this board immediately starts calling him God on Skates.
He's not a god. But a far craftier player with the puck. Can produce on his own. Neal is not anywhere near an 80 pt player this season without Geno.

This board would be wise to temper their expectations with Neal. I'd be fine with him being a 60 pt guy but rounding out his game from a skating and physical standpoint.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

Not really at all. Radulov has much more of an overall offensive skill set. We're just talking talent here, not anything regarding chemistry with certain players or a guy having his head screwed on straight.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:

Radulov had a better season than Neal ever had prior to this season, when he was 21 years old at Nashville. Then he left for Russia where he has only become a better player, and has been league MVP for the last three years.

He is a tremendous hockey player and if you don't see that..... maybe this "Russian factor" is just a little too reversed in your head.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Radulov had a better season than Neal ever had prior to this season, when he was 21 years old at Nashville. Then he left for Russia where he has only become a better player, and has been league MVP for the last three years.

He is a tremendous hockey player and if you don't see that..... maybe this "Russian factor" is just a little too reversed in your head.
Do you ever see James Neal going out drinking until 5am the day of a playoff game after losing the 1st game of the series a day earlier? Or do you see James Neal deciding after a cple years on that contract to forget about the signed contract and skip over to the KHL instead while completely leaving his teammates out to dry? Cuz I don't.

I dont care if Radulov is skilled, the **** he pulls may go over in the KHL. Sure as fk doesnt in the NHL, and having a guy like that around is not something I would want the Pens to get behind. It's less Russia factor and more selfish idiot factor.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Radulov is a superior offensive player though. Puck skills galore.
Yah but he's really not. He's only superior to the degree that he's willing to commit to his team and bring it every single night and handle himself like a professional. Value-wise Radulov isn't even on the same planet as Neal right now.

Personally I'm glad he's going back. Kill all the stupid talk about how great he'd be with Geno (because Russian chemistry is the best kindz!!).

Radulov, like Kostitsyn, doesn't get it. They'll never get it; they are focused on themselves ahead of everything else. That doesn't mean they're selfish on the ice, only that they don't think first in terms of "what is good for the team and organization here"; they think about what they want first and sometimes act on that when they shouldn't.

And playing with Geno or Sid doesn't magically make a player mature. Not saying you suggested that, only that it's what people infer around here all the time and it's utter nonsense. Like it's impossible to fathom a mental case like Jagr coming in here and totally screw up the locker room vibe with a couple days worth of soap opera. Players have free will and say what they want / do what they want when things go bad, that includes immature and self-focused players.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

One other thing I'll say about guys like Radulov... no one ever thinks of the possibility that THEY would be a negative influence on one or more of our guys. Geno is still in his 20s, likes to have fun I'm sure, and like all guys in his 20s is not above the influence of stupid friends / ideas.

How many times have all of us done something our friends talked us into we later regretted? Why would that be any less possible with a clown like Radulov on our team? Or Patrick Kane (not that there's any real chance of that happening)? People never consider the flip-side. They just want to believe Sid and Geno have powers to "make stupid players smart, and cure their social ills".

Sid and Geno are hockey players in their 20s. They're not curing anyone of anything unless it's a very mild and temporary case. Not the situation with Radulov.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:

There's a difference between better hockey player and better offensively. Semin is better offensively than Neal, but that doesn't make him nearly the hockey player Neal is.

Radulov might be more creative than Neal, but he's not a better player. I just don't see Radulov putting up better numbers, even if they both played with Geno, and you're not going to get the toughness or grit that you do with Neal. Radulov didn't even put up ridiculous numbers in a league that is--at best--on par with the AHL. He's a fancy player and fun to watch, but he's got a ways to go before he's a better hockey player than Neal. Color me unimpressed.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I haven't seen anybody say they'd rather have Radulov than Neal. Just that in a bubble with any other factors ignored, Radulov is the more talented player.

Closed Thread