HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Apparently people on here dont share my view of Kulemin so I'll leave it at him being a perfect LW for Geno. And Stewart having huge potential with Sid and Kuni. Both those "reclamation projects" will have plenty of opportunity on the PP.

As I just wrote, how do you think Philly's throw the kitchen sink at Geno approach would have worked if Sid had been flanked by Kunitz and Stewart and Geno had been flanked by Kulemin and Neal?

All last year, even when Sid first came back in November, I complained that the Pens needed to find a way to give Sid and Geno both two good wingers each because having two lines with arguably the best player in hockey centering two good wingers was a matchup that no team could handle. The series against Philly-- and seeing how LA marched with two equally potent lines, where you could slow one down on one night but not both-- kind of validates the complaint, unfortunately.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

As I just wrote, how do you think Philly's throw the kitchen sink at Geno approach would have worked if Sid had been flanked by Kunitz and Stewart and Geno had been flanked by Kulemin and Neal?

All last year, even when Sid first came back in November, I complained that the Pens needed to find a way to give Sid and Geno both two good wingers each because having two lines with arguably the best player in hockey centering two good wingers was a matchup that no team could handle. The series against Philly-- and seeing how LA marched with two equally potent lines, where you could slow one down on one night but not both-- kind of validates the complaint, unfortunately.
Nothing here shows how bringing in two reclamation projects is the best solution though. Better than TK or Dupuis? Sure. Better than Whitney or some more proven options, I don't know.

ready to get mad at me playing devils advocte? Kulemin and Stewart combined for 3 less goals and 1 less point than Dupuis last year.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so Malkin is set. Sid might have two left wings I would have to think Kunitz could switch if Whitney can't. Or we could blow Kirk's mind and switch Kunitz and Kulemin.

That seems like a bridge to cross if we reach it.
Actually, here would be my dream world plan:

Move Martin and Nisky to Minny for their 2nd round pick (saves 5M on the cap)

Move TK and Orpik to STL for Stewart and Cole (saves 1.5M on the cap)

Waive Lovejoy (saves .5M)

Sign Parise for 7M (costs 7M)

Give Minny's second, our second, and Cooke for Kulemin (costs 1M tops)

Net effect of all of these moves is that the Pens are at a 63.5M cap payroll

Lines would be Parise-Sid-Stewart, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, Kunitz-Staal-Dupuis.

You'd have Vitale, Jeffrey, and Adams under contract. Sign Tangradi for 800K. Then, your forward lines are set and your cap hit is 64.3M.

Slot Despres, Bortuzzo, and Strait into the top 8, and your cap hit is 66.5M. Find a 2.5M veteran defenseman to round out the top 8, and save 1M for the trade deadline to upgrade the defense with another veteran (you could add a 4M contract).

Yeah, it would be quite the ride in terms of young defense growing pains until the deadline, but good ******* luck defending those three lines in the meantime. Heck, if I really wanted to **** with the opposition, I'd role Parise-Sid-Dupuis, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, and Kunitz-Staal-Stewart. And, as I said, when the deadline comes, you take that 1M in cap money and add a 4M defenseman.

I mean, if you're going to keep Staal, and you're going to go for it and let the chips fall where they may after the season, then THAT is how you do it.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

You'd have Vitale, Jeffrey, and Adams under contract. Sign Tangradi for 800K. Then, your forward lines are set and your cap hit is 64.3M.

Slot Despres, Bortuzzo, and Strait into the top 8, and your cap hit is 66.5M. Find a 2.5M veteran defenseman to round out the top 8, and save 1M for the trade deadline to upgrade the defense with another veteran (you could add a 4M contract).

Yeah, it would be quite the ride in terms of young defense growing pains until the deadline, but good ******* luck defending those three lines in the meantime. Heck, if I really wanted to **** with the opposition, I'd role Parise-Sid-Dupuis, Kulemin-Geno-Neal, and Kunitz-Staal-Stewart. And, as I said, when the deadline comes, you take that 1M in cap money and add a 4M defenseman.

I mean, if you're going to keep Staal, and you're going to go for it and let the chips fall where they may after the season, then THAT is how you do it.
that many moves just doesn't seem realistic. too many things could go wrong if you start that trade train and then someone turns something down or something. Or Parise signs somewhere else.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Nothing here shows how bringing in two reclamation projects is the best solution though. Better than TK or Dupuis? Sure. Better than Whitney or some more proven options, I don't know.

ready to get mad at me playing devils advocte? Kulemin and Stewart combined for 3 less goals and 1 less point than Dupuis last year.
Why would I get mad? If you don't see how the way Kulemin plays the game would make him a better complement to Geno and Neal than Kunitz was and how Stewarts power game and one on one skill would enhance Sid's zone time and complement a Sid-Kunitz combo, then we can agree to disagree and call it a day.

As for Ray Whitney, I've got no problem with him. I just think this team needs some size/skill combo guys up front out there with Sid and Geno and that their added viability as longer term linemates makes them more than reclamation projects.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Why would I get mad? If you don't see how the way Kulemin plays the game would make him a better complement to Geno and Neal than Kunitz was and how Stewarts power game and one on one skill would enhance Sid's zone time and complement a Sid-Kunitz combo, then we can agree to disagree and call it a day.

As for Ray Whitney, I've got no problem with him. I just think this team needs some size/skill combo guys up front out there with Sid and Geno and that their added viability as longer term linemates makes them more than reclamation projects.
Honestly I don't watch either very often. Like I said, I was playing devils advocate and looking strictly at numbers. I just think it makes sense to explore options without the question marks that those guys have, particularly if we don't have to give up assets to get them.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
that many moves just doesn't seem realistic. too many things could go wrong if you start that trade train and then someone turns something down or something. Or Parise signs somewhere else.
Well, I did call it my 'dream' scenario . . .

My more realistic dream scenario (still won't happen) . . .

Lovejoy waived, Nisky to Minnesota for a pick
TK and Orpik for Stewart and Cole
Martin for Malone
1st for Kulemin
Jeffrey traded, Tangradi signed for about 750K

Net cap hit to the Pens would be to add about 200K

Lines up front would be Kunitz-Sid-Neal, Malone-Malkin-Kulemin, Tangradi-Staal-Stewart, Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis, with Adams as the reserve (o'k, not realistic . . . ).

I slot Despres, Bortuzzo, and Strait into the top 8, taking the cap payroll to 65M. Then, I sign a guy like Bryan Allen to 3M or so. I start the year with Cole and Despres playing with Letang and Michalek. I slot Allen with a #6, letting Bortuzzo and Strait battle Engo for playing time. Maybe if I'm lucky Morrow really steps up.

And, when the deadline comes, I've got 2M in cap space, which allows me to add 8M in prorated salary.

In the meantime, I've given Staal his 6M deal. Playing with Tangradi and Stewart and hopefully being used as a third scoring line center sharing defensive assignments instead of monopolizing them, he's happier. Year ends, and Cooke and Dupuis go bye-bye, which covers Staal's pay raise. Year after, when Geno and Letang are due, you can move a Malone (who's deal converts to a limited NTC after next year) or not resign Kunitz.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Honestly I don't watch either very often. Like I said, I was playing devils advocate and looking strictly at numbers. I just think it makes sense to explore options without the question marks that those guys have, particularly if we don't have to give up assets to get them.
No problem. I get why one would look at the stats and have major concerns.

Thing is, I look at the Geno and Neal combo, and I say to myself the one thing in a complementary winger they need is a Malone type, a guy who's going to tie things up along the boards and win battles, work the give and go's with Geno, and then consistently go to the net after the go, opening space for Geno and his more skilled winger. Kunitz worked well, but his work on the boards and in those battles is a big notch below. Kulemin, who actually is 6'1, 230, is better in these areas and thus, IMO, a better complement.

Conversely, Kunitz's north-south game makes him an ideal complement for Sid. They've got a connection. What Stewart gives you in a RW is a power game, a guy who can make a play when Sid and Kunitz push the tempo and create all that space. Plus, I like the idea of having a bigger body out there with Sid.

All that said, what COULD I see? I could see Martin for Malone. I could see Nisky and a 2nd for Minny's 2nd (we later move Minny's second and our third to trade back into the first round). I could see TK, Bennett, our 1st for Stewart. I could see Lovejoy being waived and Jeffrey being traded. The net cap hit from all of this is a cap wash.

Going into the season, you'd have Kunitz-Sid-Stewart, Malone-Malkin-Neal, Cooke-Staal-Dupuis. I could see Tangradi being resigned for about 800K. I'd hope someone would be signed to supplant Adams as a starter. Anyway, all told, cap payroll would be 64M with the roster set.

On defense, you slot Despres into Martin's spot and Bortuzzo and Strait as your seventh and eighth defensemen (competing with Engo). Then, you've got one starting spot on defense to fill. You could go with a Bryan Allen type and save money for the deadline. Or, you could take a run at Suter.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
All that said, what COULD I see? I could see Martin for Malone. I could see Nisky and a 2nd for Minny's 2nd (we later move Minny's second and our third to trade back into the first round). I could see TK, Bennett, our 1st for Stewart. I could see Lovejoy being waived and Jeffrey being traded. The net cap hit from all of this is a cap wash.
Given how well Niskanen played this year, I'd be loathe to give him up plus our 2nd just to get an earlier 2nd. Further, given how poorly Stewart played this year (and his considerable cap hit), I'd be loathe to give up TK, Bennett, and a 1st for him.

I don't understand why we should move an improving asset at a barrel-bottom price, and then acquire a declining asset at a premium. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me, even though I like Stewart's potential to rebound here. We have to be careful not to make trades only considering the best-case scenario.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Given how well Niskanen played this year, I'd be loathe to give him up plus our 2nd just to get an earlier 2nd. Further, given how poorly Stewart played this year (and his considerable cap hit), I'd be loathe to give up TK, Bennett, and a 1st for him.

I don't understand why we should move an improving asset at a barrel-bottom price, and then acquire a declining asset at a premium. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me, even though I like Stewart's potential to rebound here. We have to be careful not to make trades only considering the best-case scenario.
The question with Nisky is what he's worth to play on your third pairing, not what he's worth in an ideal world.

To be honest, my three moves would be Martin for Malone, TK and Orpik for Stewart and Cole, and a 1st for Kulemin. The net cap hit to the Pens would be maybe 700K. I'd resign Tangradi for 800K, taking the cap hit to 64M. I'd then waive the ADAMS MUST START rule and run four lines of Kunitz-Sid-Neal, Malone-Malkin-Kulemin, Tangradi-Kulemin-Stewart, Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis. Slot Despres into the lineup along with Cole, make Bortuzzo and Strait your seventh and eight defensemen, and then, after trading Jeffrey and waiving Lovejoy, you've got 5M or so to play with for your one open defensive spot and to save for the deadline.

You give Staal that low 6M deal. Giving him Tangradi and Stewart and more offensive opportunities should make him a happy camper. Plus, you make his line the place where guys like Bennett get their start. After the year, Cooke and Dupuis come off the books, so Staal's raise isn't an issue. Let them go, and you can pay for Staal. The following season, Geno's and Letang's new deals would hit. Well, you can move Michalek or Malone or let Kunitz walk.

Point is, if you want to keep Staal AND give him more chances to roll as a third scoring line AND give Sid and Geno both two good wingers each, then you can do it longer term (next 4-5 years foreseeable) IF you're willing to move Martin and one of Michalek/Orpik and to let Nisky go AND to let the kids grow on defense and make your impact moves to upgrade on defense during the season.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Whitney - Crosby - Malone
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Tangradi/Adams - Vitale - TK
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Whitney - Crosby - Staal
Cooke - Jeffrey/UFA- Dupuis

What about moving Staal up? And actually giving him more than parts of a few games here and there to mesh with one of Sid/Geno. Then we only need to find 1 winger (ideally that RHS PP guy). For the 3rd C, either give Jeffrey a shot or if they don't think he's ready, sign a 3rd C. There's several who will be UFAs.

If Staal sticks with the Pens long term, he's going to be making at least 5m (likely 5.5-6), and at that price he pretty much needs to be able to make a huge impact night in and night out. Move him up front and let him do that on the wing.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Whitney - Crosby - Staal
Cooke - Jeffrey/UFA- Dupuis

What about moving Staal up? And actually giving him more than parts of a few games here and there to mesh with one of Sid/Geno. Then we only need to find 1 winger (ideally that RHS PP guy). For the 3rd C, either give Jeffrey a shot or if they don't think he's ready, sign a 3rd C. There's several who will be UFAs.

If Staal sticks with the Pens long term, he's going to be making at least 5m (likely 5.5-6), and at that price he pretty much needs to be able to make a huge impact night in and night out. Move him up front and let him do that on the wing.
If I'm moving Staal to wing, then it's to Geno's wing. One, he'd be a better complement to Geno and Neal than Kunitz was. Two, Kunitz works better with Sid than Geno. Three, Staal SUCKS on Sid's wing. His rookie year, he rocked with Geno. Since then, he's NEVER-- and I mean NEVER-- taken another shift on Geno's wing. Why? For all of the experimenting after Sid came back, why not ONE shift with Geno centering Staal and Neal?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Riptide

Quote:
If I'm moving Staal to wing, then it's to Geno's wing. One, he'd be a better complement to Geno and Neal than Kunitz was. Two, Kunitz works better with Sid than Geno. Three, Staal SUCKS on Sid's wing. His rookie year, he rocked with Geno. Since then, he's NEVER-- and I mean NEVER-- taken another shift on Geno's wing. Why? For all of the experimenting after Sid came back, why not ONE shift with Geno centering Staal and Neal?
I was just tossing it out there. Doesn't matter where he slots. I'd love to make a bunch of trades and get a couple of Malone/Stewart/Kulemin/etc. I'm just not sure how realistic it is. Doing that and getting 1 top 6 winger... sure. Doing it and getting a pair? Less likely.

Oh and Burke won't give up Kulemin for a 1st unless there's another piece there. I'm not sure a 1st and Trangradi would be enough. He's 1 season from a 30 goal performance. This summer Burke can still get a very good return for him. If he waits until part of the way into the season and Kulemin isn't performing as a 30g guy but more as a 15-25 guy, then he's barely worth the 1st. Personally I bet that BB hangs onto him and hopes that he can bounce back. BBs also done a fairly good job at getting maximum value in trades (Kessel aside).

Old
06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
The question with Nisky is what he's worth to play on your third pairing, not what he's worth in an ideal world.
well if Engelland is cemented as the number 6 at $566,667 the team SHOULD be able to afford to pay Niskanen an amount that would put the third pairing at 3M or less - which seems to me a reasonable amount.

Last edited by Crafton: 06-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old
06-12-2012, 09:51 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

I believe the Pens are going to put their money on Orpik, Martin and Michalek returning to their normal selves rather than attempting to pull off multiple, blockbuster miracle deals.

I think Ray Shero has something under his hat for this offseason, but it's not Zach Parise or detonating the blueline.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I believe the Pens are going to put their money on Orpik, Martin and Michalek returning to their normal selves rather than attempting to pull off multiple, blockbuster miracle deals.

I think Ray Shero has something under his hat for this offseason, but it's not Zach Parise or detonating the blueline.
If he is planning a roster move(decent one) I don't see how one of those guys you mentioned isn't going the other way or just moved in order to make cap space

Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
dePENSonFleury

Sign Parise and then use a combination of player salary saved (TK ET) and cap space on a 2nd liner (one year deal). Move Dupuis and Cooke down a line.
FORWARDS
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Chris Kunitz ($3.725m)
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.000m) / Brian Strait ($0.750m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.750m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,181,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,118,333

Old
06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

I didn't realise we only had three players on the roster.

Nor did I specify the scope of what he does. I think he's definitely going to change up the roster, yet not to the extent most of you think.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dePENSonFleury View Post
Sign Parise and then use a combination of player salary saved (TK ET) and cap space on a 2nd liner (one year deal). Move Dupuis and Cooke down a line.
FORWARDS
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Chris Kunitz ($3.725m)
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.000m) / Brian Strait ($0.750m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.750m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,181,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,118,333
Would be sick but I just don't see how we can get it done. I would really be happy if we landed Parise but I won't hold my breath

Old
06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
mpp9

Shero absolutely must address the lack of size in the top 6 by the trade deadline. Two of Sully/Duper/TK cannot be in there.

I'd be fine with just a Kulemin acqusition, especially if Staal is retained.

You have Geno/Neal flanked by a proper LW as your top line. And two of the best lines in the league in Kunitz/Sid/Duper and Cooke/Staal/TK. I'm on board with that as well.

Ray Whitney fills a huge hole on the PP and as a secondary catalyst for our offense, but I really want to see some more size on the wing.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
gordie

Quote:

Like the way you think except for Cooke for Kulemin. Not sold on Kulemin and if you get rid of Cooke you better get some toughness and grit and hopefully youth coming from the other direction.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Flat Stanley

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Ray Whitney ($3.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Arron Asham ($0.775m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,394,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,905,833

Old
06-12-2012, 10:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I disagree. The mistakes happening weren't the system. They were just ******, stupid hockey, and guys completely under performing as to what their talent level suggests.
I don't buy that at all. You look at every team that made it past the first round with the exception of the Flyers & they played a collapsing zone coverage in their own end. This "system" we play looks like a hybrid of both man on man & zone. We have defensemen chasing their forwards to the blue line. You are never going to win that battle. You are never going to be able to out chase the guy with the puck against better teams.

Missed assignments & bad turnovers were major problems but it goes much deeper than that. If we come back with this style of chasing the puck carriers all over the zone next year we might as well call it a season.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Flat Stanley

I have my projected lineup a couple posts prior to this one. I think Shero keeps the same players, besides Steve Sullivan (if we can get Whitney, if we can't, we re-sign Sullivan). I think we keep the same D together and just fix the structure and style of play, they're not bad players, the D that they were playing was just bad.

And after looking at the free agent list of forwards, I don't expect the Penguins to land the big players (Parise, Semin, etc.) But here are the players I would target for the Pens.

Left Wing:

1. Ray Whitney (For the top 6 to replace Sullivan)
2. Travis Moen (For the bottom 6, possibly replacing Asham or Adams; Montreal is rumored to have started negotiations with Moen)

Right Wing:

1. Lee Stempniak (For the top 6 if we fail to sign Ray Whitney and Steve Sullivan)
2. Jordan Tootoo (For the 4th line to replace Asham or Adams)
3. P.A. Parenteau (For the top 6 if we can't get Whitney, Sullivan or Stempniak; Might be too expensive)
4. Adam Burish (For the bottom 6 to replace Asham or Adams, could play 3rd or 4th line RW and center if we need him to)

I think the Pens are set on D despite what some may say and Shero addressed the back up goalie situation by getting Tomas Vokoun.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:54 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post

I'd bet that you're right on with this.

To those grousing about potentially staying pat (for the most part) this summer, that doesn't mean that Shero will do nothing. I think he'll actually test the trade market for more of his guys than usual. I just think that the impetus for dealing some of those defensemen would be to free up space for a Parise or a Suter. And I really don't see either of those guys ending up here.

Closed Thread