HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VII: Where 18% wins everytime

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Olli is getting nearly 5M/yr on the open market imo. After Olli, Wellwood and Arnott are the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring centermen on the market.
Exactly, that's scary. That's why any deal that involves moving Gagner (which I'm not against) has to have a contingency plan to acquire someone to fill the #2C spot. If we trade Gagner and have Horcoff start the year in that spot it's going to be another year in the tank.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Oillio*
OMB god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
If they are not stupid...yes
thats a big IF

Old
06-19-2012, 01:21 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
you were killing it, then lost me there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
If we can get Grigorenko + Yakupov this draft, wow. That would just be absolutely filthy. Add in Allen + Schultz. Young, but scary, scary potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Love it. Only if Penner will take a reasonable contract, which I kind of doubt.

Hell, even if they don't sign Smyth or Penner, move Hartski to the 3rd line and Eager to the 4th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Love it apart from resigning Smyth/ signing Penner.
I would be ecstatic if we could pull off a trade to get another high pick and snag Grigorenko although I have a feeling he will go in the top 5, not impossible that he drops out of the top 10 though.
I also think that we would look to trade Hemsky if we draft Yakupov.
Thanks for the positive responses.

To answer why I said Penner or Smyth, I don't see too many better options for a 3rd line LW. Hartikainen isn't ready to be a full time NHL checker, imo. Smyth, if we don't burn him out early, could be useful over a full season, and Penner seemed to like it here and would add size, a low risk of injury(pancakes aside), and scoring when he gets hot. I suppose Ponikarovsky could be another option. Of course Penner and Ponikarovsky just came off long seasons, and may not be as fresh come September.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:04 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Signing Penner would be great.

s7ark has the right idea.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:02 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Exactly, that's scary. That's why any deal that involves moving Gagner (which I'm not against) has to have a contingency plan to acquire someone to fill the #2C spot. If we trade Gagner and have Horcoff start the year in that spot it's going to be another year in the tank.
Trade for a guy like Wilson/Matthias which likely won't cost you more than a 2nd or a B prospect. Problem solved for a year and maybe longer.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Why would Minny move Clutterbuck? The guy is 23 same with Seto 24. Doesn't make sense. Might as well move Koivu and Heatley and do a full rebuild.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Thought the more interesting note from his recent 30 thoughts was about Matt Carle.

Matt Carle wants to move out west to be closer to his home in Alaska, is a veteran passing defenseman who can produce on a powerplay.

The Oilers are the northern outpost of the NHL, they need a veteran defenseman that can pass the puck and produce on a powerplay.

It writes itself

The guy isn't a top teir and I've never been a huge fan, but he could help the team quite a bit give the lack of depth and talent the Oilers are running with.
I thought Carle was staying in PHI? Then again I thought Jagr was too.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:01 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Thought the more interesting note from his recent 30 thoughts was about Matt Carle.

Matt Carle wants to move out west to be closer to his home in Alaska, is a veteran passing defenseman who can produce on a powerplay.

The Oilers are the northern outpost of the NHL, they need a veteran defenseman that can pass the puck and produce on a powerplay.

It writes itself

The guy isn't a top teir and I've never been a huge fan, but he could help the team quite a bit give the lack of depth and talent the Oilers are running with.
hadn't heard about his wanting to be closer to home... we would be the closest team, us or vancouver anyhow.... i've never been a huge fan of his, but he's definitely a top-4 guy with some PP experience and can move the puck decently... i wouldn't be against him if the price was right, thats for sure

Old
06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Trade for a guy like Wilson/Matthias which likely won't cost you more than a 2nd or a B prospect. Problem solved for a year and maybe longer.
I'd be in for acquiring either of those guys but in Wilson's case anyways it will cost you quite a bit more than a 2nd and Matthias is one of those guys that doesn't get traded because he is more valuable in his current spot than on the market.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
hadn't heard about his wanting to be closer to home... we would be the closest team, us or vancouver anyhow.... i've never been a huge fan of his, but he's definitely a top-4 guy with some PP experience and can move the puck decently... i wouldn't be against him if the price was right, thats for sure
Kinda like when Gomez wanted to play close to home and then signed in New York. I honestly don't understand why he'd want to be close to home. Maybe Edmonton is closer, but is it the quickest flight and if you are already making the flight from Alaska what's another couple hours to another city?

On another note wonder if we look at Stafford, didn't he play both wings before? Buffalo open of business so we might as well take a look. I also like Sekera and potentially Regher with one year left.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

Helm re-signs 4 years 8.5mil. Odd contract.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kinda like when Gomez wanted to play close to home and then signed in New York. I honestly don't understand why he'd want to be close to home. Maybe Edmonton is closer, but is it the quickest flight and if you are already making the flight from Alaska what's another couple hours to another city?
It's exactly that, another couple hours and likely a layover.

That article seems to zero in on the Oilers, I see him as a fit in Vancouver especially if Salo isn't coming back. For next season he probably works better than a rookie in Schultz too.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I don't see this in here yet, per Dreger:

Pavelec is pending RFA with a big $ offer from KHL. It will take $4mil\multi years to keep him in NHL. Pay or trade him...Jets only options.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
It's exactly that, another couple hours and likely a layover.

That article seems to zero in on the Oilers, I see him as a fit in Vancouver especially if Salo isn't coming back. For next season he probably works better than a rookie in Schultz too.
Is there even a direct flight to Edmonton? Wouldn't there be a layover to get here?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Helm re-signs 4 years 8.5mil. Odd contract.
In terms of what? The length?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Pavelec is pending RFA with a big $ offer from KHL. It will take $4mil\multi years to keep him in NHL. Pay or trade him...Jets only options.
It was so ridiculous I didn't want to post it. So he takes a trade to say Toronto and signs for 2-3mil, does that mean we are officially not the ass end of the NHL?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
In terms of what? The length?
Ya. Seems long for a role player.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:

I wonder if the Bulin Wall would like to retire where he started.......

Old
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
joestevens29

Main boards has a buyout thread, given there always seems to be a question of do we have too many contracts I wonder if a guy like Abney are bought out? Any other AHLers/ECHLers that we could just replace with AHL contracts from elsewhere?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Is there even a direct flight to Edmonton? Wouldn't there be a layover to get here?
I'm pretty sure Alaskan flies direct to Edmonton.

Actually doing a search it looks like Alaskan only flies direct through Seattle to Anchorage and then Air Canada will fly direct from Vancouver to Anchorage.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Alaskan flies direct to Edmonton.

Actually doing a search it looks like Alaskan only flies direct through Seattle to Anchorage and then Air Canada will fly direct from Vancouver to Anchorage.
So really it's probably not that much shorter than if he was flying to LA or something.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

oh man were analyzing flights again, didnt we do this enough when kyntar was called up?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
I wonder if the Bulin Wall would like to retire where he started.......
Hahaha I like your thinking. Khabby and MPS for Kane.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
So really it's probably not that much shorter than if he was flying to LA or something.
No and that's why I said Vancouver is likely a better fit. If he's able to choose I can see him being a better fit with the Canucks core if Salo doesn't come back.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Hahaha I like your thinking. Khabby and MPS for Kane.
that would be a great deal for us. i love kanes game, we would probably have to add something though mps would have to have more value than kane for them to take bulin imo.

Closed Thread