HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part VII: Where 18% wins everytime

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Because Schenn could be Jason Smith 2.0 and for almost 10 years Smith was a key player on the oilers blue line. Some leaf fans think Schenn and the 5th for 1 is an overpayment
You like Schenn a lot. Good for you.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Because Schenn could be Jason Smith 2.0 and for almost 10 years Smith was a key player on the oilers blue line. Some leaf fans think Schenn and the 5th for 1 is an overpayment
Theo Peckham has about as much a chance of being Jason Smith 2.0 as Schenn does.

Schenn looks a bit worse than Smid did at the same age, which was pretty bad. Smid got better, so there's no reason to take a chance on someone who, at best, will be the same player.

The Oilers need mobility in the top 4, not shot blocking in the bottom pairing, especially not at the cost of Yakupov.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
We can't judge a return based on the thoughts of a small minority of opposing fans. Some Leaf fans would say Franson + 5th would be an overpayment, should we jump on that too?

If we're going to be stupid and not take Yakupov, 5th + Gardiner +right to swap 1sts in 2013 is about the least I would want from TO. Schenn shouldn't be in the conversation for our 1st unless he's there instead of the right to swap 1sts in 2013.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Krut

Schenn is incredibly overrated. It would take all of about a week before he would become whipping boy #1 for this fan base, especially of we had to sacrifice Yakupov to get him. If his last name wasn't Schenn, and he wasn't drafted in the top ten, I have serious doubts that he would even be in the league at this point. He thinks the game slow, he can't skate, has poor hands, and average at best passing ability. At the absolute best he will be a borderline #4 IMO.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:07 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Schenn is incredibly overrated. It would take all of about a week before he would become whipping boy #1 for this fan base, especially of we had to sacrifice Yakupov to get him. If his last name wasn't Schenn, and he wasn't drafted in the top ten, I have serious doubts that he would even be in the league at this point. He thinks the game slow, he can't skate, has poor hands, and average at best passing ability. At the absolute best he will be a borderline #4 IMO.
The only reason he's overrated is because he plays in TO where they overrate everyone on the roster.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
backhandsauce

No to Schenn. If we want a stop gap player with similar skill set, sign Hall Gill.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I would trade the 31st pick for Schenn. Thats about where his value is right now. They can have Teddy Peckman too.

As for using Schenn to pry Yakupov out of our hands:
You better wrap that S&!T up B!

Sick of that rumor.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
The only reason he's overrated is because he plays in TO where they overrate everyone on the roster.
Meant to say this as well. Being a Leafs top 10 pick not only gets you instant ice time, but also a lot of undeserved media admiration. I still remember scratching my head during his draft year when Pierre McGuire was near orgasm when the Leafs picked him.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Meant to say this as well. Being a Leafs top 10 pick not only gets you instant ice time, but also a lot of undeserved media admiration. I still remember scratching my head during his draft year when Pierre McGuire was near orgasm when the Leafs picked him.
I can still remember McGuire's off-the-wall commentary whenever Schenn did anything remotely competent during the 2008 WJHC:

HE'S THE HUMAN ERASER! AAAH!

Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Nope. Why do people want the Oilers to trade down. If the Oilers do trade down, it won't be further than 5. At 27, there's nothing left. No thanks.
Who cares what they pick at 27. They get Yandle who is 25 just entering his prime, signed to a decent contract for 4 more years, and anyone we take in the top 5 will be atleast 5 years out and maybe be as good as Yandle, where as he's ready to go right now. And don't get me wrong I'd rather keep the pick but if management is thinking about trading it I'd rather see it go for an established d man who can help us next year. Like another poster said if they trade down were going for yet another lotto pick next year, which just thinking about made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Toydarian

I don't think Gardiner is as good as we are led to believe. He played well the last half of the season, but how many players have been good for a time and then floundered?

The only way I'd be okay with the Oilers moving the pick if a proven top defensemen is involved (which I doubt would happen).

Old
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't think Gardiner is as good as we are led to believe. He played well the last half of the season, but how many players have been good for a time and then floundered?

The only way I'd be okay with the Oilers moving the pick if a proven top defensemen is involved (which I doubt would happen).
This is how I feel about Gardiner as well. a) plays for TO so everything will be exaggerated regarding his skill and b) only has 1 season under his belt. Not worth a first overall.

Any trade involving 1st overall is a loss IMO

Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Leafs fans were talking about Gunnarson in 2010 the same way that they talk about Gardiner now.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Leafs fans were talking about Gunnarson in 2010 the same way that they talk about Gardiner now.
Which is weird, considering Gunnarson was actually good last year. Now no one talks about him.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
TowMater14

Found this tweet interesting. Who would like to guess who will make the big club?
@NHL_Oilers: Via @NatashTag "how many OKC players do you think will be playing in Edm next season?" Anywhere from 3 to 5 have the potential Billy

Old
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Hemsky4PM

Gunnarsson is actually the guy I'd want.

He's 25. Makes 1.25M next season. Would be a mentor for our other Swedish youngsters (Klefbom in particular). He plays hard and has a balanced game.

I still don't think Gunnarsson and no.5 (Dumba, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Reinhart) is enough for Yak.

I'd rather focus on developing our own defensemen (like trying to turn Peckham's game around).

I'm not so convinced the Oilers need to do much more than get older next season to improve a great deal. Goaltending was the biggest weakness IMO.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Found this tweet interesting. Who would like to guess who will make the big club?
@NHL_Oilers: Via @NatashTag "how many OKC players do you think will be playing in Edm next season?" Anywhere from 3 to 5 have the potential Billy
Guys who have already seen the NHL.. Paajarvi, Lander, Teubert, Chorney, etc.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Hartikainen and Paajarvi. That's all. Vande Velde has an outside shot at no.13-14 forward for the Oilers if he has a strong camp and can work his way into a solid pk player.

I see Lander spending a full season there (no.1 call-up option). Plante will get the typical 2-way waiver elligible deal (like Chorney last year). He and Teubert will be fighting for top call-up.

Cornet, Pitlick and some others might get a few NHL games in next season.

Hemsky-Nuge-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hartikainen
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Petrell (if signed)

I do think this would be a very competitive forward group. Hall, Yak, Nuge and Ebs all have great heart. Hemsky (when he's on) is brave. Basically, if they could somehow dumb Belanger and bring in someone who gives a damn, I'd be ok with the forward group.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Gunnarsson is actually the guy I'd want.

He's 25. Makes 1.25M next season. Would be a mentor for our other Swedish youngsters (Klefbom in particular). He plays hard and has a balanced game.

I still don't think Gunnarsson and no.5 (Dumba, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Reinhart) is enough for Yak.

I'd rather focus on developing our own defensemen (like trying to turn Peckham's game around).

I'm not so convinced the Oilers need to do much more than get older next season to improve a great deal. Goaltending was the biggest weakness IMO.
Wonder what type of deal it would take to get Gunnarsson and Kulemin from the Leafs without giving up the 1st overall.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
sounds about right considering Plante, Green, O'Marra, Rodney, Chorney, Kytnar, Danis (kinda), Cornet, Vande Velde and Hartikainen all played for Oilers last season. ... It does not say 5 players will crack the opening night roster.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Wonder what type of deal it would take to get Gunnarsson and Kulemin from the Leafs without giving up the 1st overall.
Hemsky\Whitney + Gagner ?

Old
06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
And Keith Aulie last year, and Carlo Colaiacovo after the lockout.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
I agree, Gardiner is the flavour of the month on these boards. If his production dips next year, attention will turn to somebody else. It's all about "what have you done for me lately" on here.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Coliaccovo to Schenn to Aulie to Gunnarsson to Gardiner to... ?

Who's next?!

Old
06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I would trade the 31st pick for Schenn. Thats about where his value is right now. They can have Teddy Peckman too.

As for using Schenn to pry Yakupov out of our hands:
You better wrap that S&!T up B!

Sick of that rumor.
Schenn is kind of redundant with our current roster. I'd much rather keep the pick and potentially add Henrik Samulsson/Dalton Thrower/Malcolm Subban/Tom Wilson

Closed Thread