HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

Quote:
The Rangers will attempt to pump another resource through their Badgers Pipeline by getting in on the derby for Wisconsin junior defenseman Justin Schultz if the 43rd overall selection in the 2008 Entry Draft spurns Anaheim’s offers and becomes a free agent on July 1, Slap Shots has learned.

Schultz, who will turn 22 on June 6, is a 6-foot-1, 185-pound defenseman much in the mold of Ryan McDonagh, but with a more developed offensive game. McDonagh and Derek Stepan each played the 2009-10 season with then-freshman Schultz at Wisconsin before turning pro with the Rangers.

The Blueshirts would be in the hunt for this Hobey Baker nominee regardless, but their interest likely is intensified because of uncertainty regarding the health of Michael Sauer, who has been sidelined since Dec. 5 with post-concussion symptoms.

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Schultz would be bound to sign a two-year Entry Level contract if he chooses to become a free agent. If he were to eschew free agency and sign with Anaheim before the end of the season, he would have only one year remaining on the Entry Level deal.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz1pT04Msho

Continue the discussion here. It's 1,000 posts in the other thread.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Sign him! Weeee

Old
06-11-2012, 01:23 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Don't see why he signs in Toronto. Doesn't really have a future there.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:21 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I want him to sign here but i dont think you can guarentee anybody anything. He'll have to show he is worthy of his spot like everyone else so i voted no.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

if it would be the difference between signing him or not, i'd def give him a guarantee... otherwise no... for all we know he doesn't adjust

Old
06-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Blue Blooded

How can you run a team on the basis of accountability, and then guarantee a roster spot?

There are not guarantees on the NYR, if you're good enough, you get to play.

Tell Schultz to look at Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Staal, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin. They all forced themselves onto the roster.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
How can you run a team on the basis of accountability, and then guarantee a roster spot?

Tell Schultz to look at Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Staal, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin. They all forced themselves onto the roster.
How can you not? Just because you guarantee him a spot at the start of the season, that does't mean your guaranteeing him to stay for the entirety of the season.

Your guaranteeing him the chance. The rest is up to him. That sounds like accountability to me.

06-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

would you rather give him up than give him a guarantee?

Old
06-11-2012, 07:38 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post

Is this a joke? Torts has his favorites and outside picking On a few select players, he doesn't really hold anyone accountable.

Regardless, do you honestly think the guys making the big bucks (Richards, Gaborik etc) aren't guaranteed roster spots? Come on, man.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:03 AM
darko

No guaranteeing spots. You gotta earn them.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:19 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Is this a joke? Torts has his favorites and outside picking On a few select players, he doesn't really hold anyone accountable.

Regardless, do you honestly think the guys making the big bucks (Richards, Gaborik etc) aren't guaranteed roster spots? Come on, man.
they're not guaranteed ice time and if they don't show up for a few games in a row they would absolutely get scratched

Old
06-11-2012, 08:19 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I think this is a Lebron James UFA situation a bit.

Schultz likely has already made up his mind on where he's going. but will do his diligence with other teams.
Probably will be tempted but in the end he will go to where he wanted to all along.

I don't think it's the Rangers...

Old
06-11-2012, 08:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Don't see why he signs in Toronto. Doesn't really have a future there.
Just curious, why is that? Team isn't so great he has no shot of getting minutes. Perhaps he loves the city? Perhaps he loves the coach? Perhaps he has a best friend on the team? Personally I could think of a dozen places I would LESS like to play.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:

Holds noone accountable? Redden has been in the AHL for two seasons now, Richards and Drury have both been demoted to the 4th line, Gaborik has been benched more times than I can count.

Regarding spots at the start of the season, of course some veterans will have their spots guaranteed regardless of play in TC, but they are veterans and have proven themselves at the NHL level which Schultz has yet to do. And let's not forget about waivers.

If for example Strålman was brought back, would he have a guaranteed roster spot? No, far from it and he could be lost on waivers. But if he proved himself better than Schultz, he would get the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR
How can you not? Just because you guarantee him a spot at the start of the season, that does't mean your guaranteeing him to stay for the entirety of the season.

Your guaranteeing him the chance. The rest is up to him. That sounds like accountability to me.
Everyone always has a chance in TC, but you have to take it. McDonagh had a chance, but wasn't ready and started in the AHL, same for Hagelin. Erixon would've started in the AHL if not for injuries. Del Zotto took his and forced himself onto the team as a 19 y.o.

Let's say Erixon is ready, Sauer is back and Schultz looks like Erixon did last year. Should Erixon or Sauer sit because Schultz has a guaranteed spot?

I think it sends the wrong message to guarantee Schultz a spot in the lineup.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
There is a big difference between guaranteed spot and guaranteed opportunity. Rangers likely only offer the guaranteed opportunity to vie for the spot.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
bogans

Earn your way kid. Happy to give the max salary based on your college success and the stiff competition there will be to sign you, but that's where it ends. Prove yourself and there is definitely room on the roster.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:08 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

A bit different because McD was one of ours, although somewhat similar situation as he was using his pending UFA status as leverage in negotiating a deal with us.

I remember NYR guaranteed McDonagh the opportunity to make the team if he preformed to requirements. He was one of the last ones cut going into the season the autumn after he signed his ELC. But one of his contract demands was a guarantee to a roster spot that most likely was misinterpreted by the media report and in reality was just a request guarantee to get his act together before final cuts were made.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:14 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Don't underestimate the Rangers ability to sell and sell hard here. They have a lot to sell and a good track record selling. If they get a shot, they have a shot.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Don't underestimate the Rangers ability to sell and sell hard here. They have a lot to sell and a good track record selling. If they get a shot, they have a shot.
Agreed. We got Gilroy didn't we?

Old
06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Torts does not hold everyone accountable? Seems to me that he holds every last player accountable. Gaborik and Richards are held to teh same standard as Boyle and Prust.
Quote:
There is a world of difference between Richards & Gabork and a player that has never played above the college level. You do not guarantee roster spots to anyone.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Earn your way kid. Happy to give the max salary based on your college success and the stiff competition there will be to sign you, but that's where it ends. Prove yourself and there is definitely room on the roster.
Agreed with this. If you can make it impossible for the team NOT to have you in the lineup, then you are in.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The best thing in all of this was how passive agressive Getzlaf sounded about this in his interview. I always wondered how players felt about stuff like this, I would be really pissed too.

Really curious why Schultz didn't want to play in what SHOULD be an up and coming team in the Ducks. Maybe Boudreau?

Old
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
A bit different because McD was one of ours, although somewhat similar situation as he was using his pending UFA status as leverage in negotiating a deal with us.

I remember NYR guaranteed McDonagh the opportunity to make the team if he preformed to requirements. He was one of the last ones cut going into the season the autumn after he signed his ELC. But one of his contract demands was a guarantee to a roster spot that most likely was misinterpreted by the media report and in reality was just a request guarantee to get his act together before final cuts were made.
Um...what?

McD signed with us in the summer of 2010. He wouldn't have been eligible to become UFA until August 15th 2011. And where are you getting these contract demands from? Please provide some quotes, because I don't remember anything being said about that at the time.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McDonagh signed on July 5 or 6,2010. He came to prospects camp the previous week. McDonagh spoke to the Rangers brass when he was here. He loved what he experienced. McD went back to Wisconsin and told his agent to begin talks with the Rangers. He was signed 2 days later. Its was the 4th of July weekend so it took an extra day. Ryan told his teammates in person he was leaving Wisconsin. Most of the players hang around campus going to summer school. There was no guarantee of a roster spot. Come to camp and earn a job. The roster spots are open. Its up to you but the opportunity is there. Same thing with Schultz. I would send Torts,McDonagh and Stepan to meet with Schultz. He is probably attending summer school at Wisconsin. Show him the depth chart on D. You come to camp(assuming there is camp in Sept)and work your ass off,you will get the job on D. McD had a good camp but the Rangers had a waivers issue with Sauer and there wasn't room for McD. No issues with waivers this time because they only have 3 D under contract with DZ being a group II. Mac wasn't hurt playing 3 months in the AHL.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The best thing in all of this was how passive agressive Getzlaf sounded about this in his interview. I always wondered how players felt about stuff like this, I would be really pissed too.

Really curious why Schultz didn't want to play in what SHOULD be an up and coming team in the Ducks. Maybe Boudreau?
I don't really see Anaheim as an up and coming team. They have a few kids who might come up to the NHL roster next season that were working in the AHL, but they'll be filling in for Koivu and Selanne, not really advancing the roster. Fowler will probably get better and advance his game, but I am not sure where the huge step forward would come from? They are not a playoff team right now and I don't think Justin Schultz gets them there. Also, goaltending is a problem and Boudreau's system does not allow for pinching defenseman. Mike Green was neutered except on the PP.

Closed Thread