HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 11:43 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
What school is Skjei going to?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
What school is Skjei going to?
U of Minnesota.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Disagree. Edm could be a powerhouse in a couple years. Adding shultz only helps that.
People have been saying Edmonton is a "couple of years" away for 7 years now.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:01 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers don't have a player like Schultz in their system. They can have a million D but they have don't someone like him. The Rangers aren't interested in wasting their time and his time. McIlrath needs at least a year in the AHL. He doesn't have the skating and puck skills of Schultz. The Rangers need a righty which is the side Schultz plays. Erixon plays the left side. Skjei will be in college next season. There is a spot for Schultz on the Rangers. Besides Girardi,the Rangers don't have another healthy RD under contract.
To piggy back on this point,

True or not-Schultz could easily believe one of MDZ, Erixon, or McI could be dealt this offseason as well.

I would think there's as much opportunity here as anywhere.

We don't know what he TRULY covets.

Comfort? In location or teammates

Money? Probably the same amongst top suitors but who knows.

Opportunity? Best chance to play now?

Best future? Build a future w/ a really young team. Or win now?

Old
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Gonna be pretty bummed if we don't get him.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

To me the strategy with Schultz is simple -- get him to visit. Send the Rangers jet to pick him up show him the facilities, show him the city and fly Stepan and McDonagh in for dinner. The prospect camp will be going on and he can meet some other young players. He's got a few days to think about this.

The Rangers have a pretty good track record selling the city and the organization. I bet they already have a #6 jersey hanging in his locker. I am very optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Everyone on the main board seems to think he will go to a Canadian city.
That's because almost all of them are from Canada. You see the HFBoards differently when you live in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Yup, thats why they finally got rid of schenn. They know they are getting shultz to replace him.
They got rid of Schenn because they made a lopsided trade in their favor. Schenn is a stiff. If JVR shows like he did in the playoffs two years ago, this will be a monumental trade for the Leafs.

Last edited by bobbop: 06-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I agree. Toronto won that deal yesterday. JVR will be stellar for them. But I dont think that move has anything to do with schultz. Those two teams discussed that deal in January.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Leetch66

Playing in Toronto or Montreal certainly no longer carries any weight to most young hockey players in this day and age of growing up in Canada . Once upon a time 20-30 years ago when there was actually a rivalry amongst the 2 cities then the kids dreamed of being one or the other . Today they are victims of TV/Satellite/Internet feeds and cheer for the spotlight teams . There are a lot of young kids who when are playing pond hockey or floor hockey or even road hockey in Canada these days now dream about being King Henrik !

Just because Schultz is Canadian...certainly does not mean he would want to play here in Canada...especially in either Leaf or Hab territory . Most Canadian kids born outside an NHL city...just want to play and that could even be Long Island for that matter !!!

Old
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Playing in Toronto or Montreal certainly no longer carries any weight to most young hockey players in this day and age of growing up in Canada . Once upon a time 20-30 years ago when there was actually a rivalry amongst the 2 cities then the kids dreamed of being one or the other . Today they are victims of TV/Satellite/Internet feeds and cheer for the spotlight teams . There are a lot of young kids who when are playing pond hockey or floor hockey or even road hockey in Canada these days now dream about being King Henrik !

Just because Schultz is Canadian...certainly does not mean he would want to play here in Canada...especially in either Leaf or Hab territory . Most Canadian kids born outside an NHL city...just want to play and that could even be Long Island for that matter !!!
Exactly. It's about the best fit ... not the location.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
People have been saying Edmonton is a "couple of years" away for 7 years now.

What people? Edmonton has drafted 1st the last few years and Pittsburgh did too before they became a great team. Edmonton is gonna be very good within the next 3-4 years and if they get Schultz then it will only improve them more if Schultz is as good as people say he is, and they have plenty of cap space.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
What people? Edmonton has drafted 1st the last few years and Pittsburgh did too before they became a great team. Edmonton is gonna be very good within the next 3-4 years and if they get Schultz then it will only improve them more if Schultz is as good as people say he is, and they have plenty of cap space.
You are assuming that all of those guys will want to stay in Edmonton long term. Good luck with that.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
They've been drafting in the top 5 for the past 5 seasons.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i think you even pay the max for alex daigle.
i agree with your reasoning but i think the other gentleman is just objecting to the baggage your use of gretzky brings. either way, i agree with what - i think - you're saying. you spend money on the projectable assets when they're available for just cash. worst case, you're overpaying for a couple of seasons and - actually - you can even leave the guy in the minors if he proves to suck.
pretty much.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
They've been drafting in the top 5 for the past 5 seasons.
So did Pittsburgh

2002 #5 Whitney
2003 #1 Fleury
2004 #2 Malkin
2005 #1 Crosby
2006 #2 Staal

Then it took them 3 years to win it all. Although Pitt got lucky with arguably better players being available.
I don't think anyone on Edmonton is in the Crosby/Malkin class.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I have a really strong feeling that one or two of the picks we've acquired for 2013 will be used in a trade to get Schultz' rights.

Let's see

Since when have the Rangers/Sather been proactive about stockpiling for a future draft? They are movers AT the draft, not in advance. Schultz looks like he will be available. Sather & co didn't like what was on the table Saturday. They got some ammo for Schultz, eh?

Old
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I have a really strong feeling that one or two of the picks we've acquired for 2013 will be used in a trade to get Schultz' rights.

Let's see

Since when have the Rangers/Sather been proactive about stockpiling for a future draft? They are movers AT the draft, not in advance. Schultz looks like he will be available. Sather & co didn't like what was on the table Saturday. They got some ammo for Schultz, eh?
if that was the case it would have been done awhile ago. schultz can talk to everyone at midnight so it would be absolutely moronic to trade a prospect to get 3 1/2 hours of exclusive negotating time.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
if that was the case it would have been done awhile ago. schultz can talk to everyone at midnight so it would be absolutely moronic to trade a prospect to get 3 1/2 hours of exclusive negotating time.
Look at that, they were being proactive then!

Old
06-24-2012, 10:35 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You are assuming that all of those guys will want to stay in Edmonton long term. Good luck with that.

Lol i don't care if they stay there or not, i'm saying it's kind of foolish to say that Edmonton isn't a place a young player like Schulz would want to go because they are up and coming.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
CM PUNK

Old
06-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Schultz Watch 2012...he can say yes to teams now...just cant be official until july 1st. Im sure we will hear plenty this week on the rumor trail

Old
06-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Blueshirt Believer

I'm mostly indifferent about Schultz, would be nice to have him. But we have Erixon waiting in the wings, and the bottom pairing can be filled out.

I don't think we are desperate for him.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:12 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I'm mostly indifferent about Schultz, would be nice to have him. But we have Erixon waiting in the wings, and the bottom pairing can be filled out.

I don't think we are desperate for him.
I think it's the opposite. We don't have any right handed trigger men on the PP. Schultz would be perfect for that as well as having only 1 RHD signed to begin with. They will go hard to get him. It's be a very wise choice to make him priority #1 in free agency,

Old
06-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i don't think we're desperate for anything, but schultz is certainly the most attractive (nohomo) free agent on the market. only other guy that comes close is parise and he hates us.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz became a free agent early this morning. The Rangers have probably touched base with Newport Sports to "officially" express their interest in Schultz. The player will meet with Newport tomorrow and they will field offers on Wednesday. Newport didn't want the rights to the player traded. They wanted to go to free agency. Newport Sports can agree to terms but Schultz can't officially sign until July 1. The Rangers have probably told Meehan and Arnott that they're "all in" on their client. The opportunity to earn a roster spot is there by just looking at the depth chart and it allows him to earn the bonuses. Michael Del Zotto. Ryan McDonagh. Derek Stepan. Chris Kreider. Carl Hagelin. Gorton told Jim Cerny in an interview last month that the Rangers management and coaching likes young players. Teams will probably present their offers in person of Wednesday. The Rangers probably have already submitted a term sheet to Newport. Arnott is the agent for Schultz but Meehan is the boss. Arnott also represents Parise. I read Meehan flew to Minnesota from Pittsburgh after the draft to visit Parise. Meehan is the boss.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have depth on D but signing Schultz allows them to include a D in a trade for forward. Probably Del Zotto. Another Newport client. They may want DZ to get some ice-time on another team instead of playing behind McDonagh and Staal. Schultz is a righty. DZ is lefty. Gorton told Jim Cerny "you can never have enough defensemen" after the Sjkei selection. Gorton said some teams spend big money for 6th or 7th D. The Rangers don't want to be in that position of paying big dollars for veteran free agent D. That's why they draft them and acquire them while they are young. McDonagh and Erixon were acquired in trades.

Closed Thread